Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it gets good press they'll just file it under the miniseries clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope this means what I think it means

I don't know if I'd want it to be a remake or a sequel. Either would work in this case...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't usually like Kinja blogs that much but their reaction to the new series of Newsroom is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JJOPHW_NQ

Defamer posted:

Eventually this show will no longer be on TV. Stay strong.

I wonder if it'll have that fascinating duality from season two where half the characters I really like and would gladly watch seasons of, and half the characters I can't stand and their every action is garbage.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Speaking of aristocrates fulfill your toxx

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

Speaking of aristocrates fulfill your toxx

It'll be up within an hour.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The most unintentionally funny thing in this week's Black Jesus has to be that a Coolio concert could raise $1.2 million dollars, even broadcast online.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Amazon is ordering Red Oaks and Hand of God to series. The Cosmopolitans got an order for more scripts, so it's not out of the game just yet. On the other hand, Hysteria and Really are dead.

Yes! Red Oaks was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie are both signed on for an mini series adaptation of John le Carre's The Night Manager. The BBC is going to air it in the UK, while US airing is still being bid upon. Should be fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Apparently renowned world diplomat Jeremy Clarkson managed to offend yet another entire country by running around Argentina with cars that had license plates making references to the Falkland Wars, is literally run off the country by stoning.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29474422

Edit: local news adds that besides the one mentioned in the article, one of the other cars had a license plate that just happened to have the exact number of argentinean soldiers killed during the war.

Clarkson is a despicable oval office and he should have been fired when they caught him on studio cameras saying "friend of the family", but he brings in the money and is best friends with the Prime Minister, and we all know how far the BBC will go to protect friends of PMs.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
TNT's 2012 Dallas reboot has shuffled off to that great Oil Baron Mansion in The Sky.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/03/dallas-canceled-by-tnt/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dead Snoopy posted:

TNT's 2012 Dallas reboot has shuffled off to that great Oil Baron Mansion in The Sky.

Ted Turner shot JR

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Can someone confirm that Gilmore Girls is in HD on Netflix?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

Doesn't appear to be, although it stretches to fit the screen when you put it in full screen. Did they do an HD remaster or something? I'm pretty sure none of the show was actually shot in HD.

edit: Never mind, it just looked like it was 4:3 because it had black bars with my window size. Oddly, the actual episode seems to be 16:9 but the opening credits are still 4:3 though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 4, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't give you Netflix specifics, but s1 and 2 I've only ever seen in 4:3 SD, 3 onwards are in 16:9 HD (with the 4:3 intro which is quite common when you get shows not really intended for HD broadcast originally). The show is shot for 4:3 but it looks good in HD in my opinion.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Snoopy posted:

That show was on borrowed time the moment Larry Hagman (RIP) left this mortal coil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

That show was on borrowed time the moment Larry Hagman (RIP) left this mortal coil.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised that they kept going.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

It seems to be widescreen and a little better than DVD quality in season 1 at least which I'm going through and oh god I've missed this show.

Apparently it's cropped. https://twitter.com/memles/statuses/517341752051511298 It still looks really good considering the last time I watched were with really bad vhs quality rips for the first three seasons.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

hope and vaseline posted:

It seems to be widescreen and a little better than DVD quality in season 1 at least which I'm going through and oh god I've missed this show.

Apparently it's cropped. https://twitter.com/memles/statuses/517341752051511298 It still looks really good considering the last time I watched were with really bad vhs quality rips for the first three seasons.

Counterpoint not all episodes?
https://twitter.com/Memles/status/517374361175457793/photo/1

More: http://mylesmcnutt.tumblr.com/post/98904757216/having-stayed-up-until-2am-central-to-see-what

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

quote:

Having stayed up until 2am Central to see what aspect ratio Gilmore Girls was going to be

I stopped reading after this sentence.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda explains why I've not seen the earliest seasons get the treatment before, I guess they just didn't have all the sources. Still, neat that some of the earliest episodes are in a higher resolution at least.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Clarkson is a despicable oval office and he should have been fired when they caught him on studio cameras saying "friend of the family", but he brings in the money and is best friends with the Prime Minister, and we all know how far the BBC will go to protect friends of PMs.

Covering up for Clarkson saying the N-word doesn't even rank in the top 100 worst things the BBC has done. Unfortunately, the top 200 worst things the BBC has done all involves Jimmy Savile.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I can already tell that Bad Judge will be my 'watching it even though it's doomed to cancellation' comedy pick of the fall.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait is Bad Judge actually funny?

Pierson posted:

I don't usually like Kinja blogs that much but their reaction to the new series of Newsroom is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JJOPHW_NQ
Huh, I thought it was cancelled, but apparently they gave it just one last season. Why? I don't know.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

No. I think people are in a competition to see which terrible show they can convince other people to watch. Irish Joe is in first with Taxi Brooklyn, with Black-ish in second.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cardboard Box A posted:

The court hereby denies plaintiff's request for preliminary injunction finding that it harshes defendent's mellow.

*smash cut to Bad Judge and defendant catching waves*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 5, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The problem with Bad Judge is she's not actually a bad judge, just a hot mess that can pull herself miraculously together when needed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sober posted:

The problem with Bad Judge is she's not actually a bad judge, just a hot mess that can pull herself miraculously together when needed.

Apparently they completely changed from the first pilot where she was a completely irresponsible piece of work. Now all here "faults" are actually basically caring too much.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Stalker is about some incel MRAs, pretty good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Why TV series intros show some actors in 'Goon McGoon' form but others in 'Goon O'Goon as Dr. Flavour Butt' form?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Not to plug my own thread or anything but Transparent is a very good show and nobody seems to know about it because Amazon didn't really advertise it much/nobody has Amazon Instant Video or something. I hope more people hear about it and decide to watch it, it's a great show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'd be interested in hearing why people think Amazon Instant Video hasn't taken off.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing why people think Amazon Instant Video hasn't taken off.

I guess just more in terms of independent productions in the same way that people buy Netflix now for Netflix exclusive show, y'know? Not that like literally nobody uses it or whatever but I mean obviously anything good on Netflix will have a much wider audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think part of the problem with Amazon's service is that it's not a stand alone thing and is attached to Prime. Also, once you are using it, it has a terrible interface.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I think part of the problem with Amazon's service is that it's not a stand alone thing and is attached to Prime. Also, once you are using it, it has a terrible interface.

Yeah, it needs some work to get on the level of Netlix.

Watch Transparent aaaaaa

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

. Also, once you are using it, it has a terrible interface.
Seconded so hard.

The PS3/360 app either lags indefinitely after playing one episode, hard crashes, or is unresponsive as hell.

I can't even get it working right half the time on the WiiU. Makes any kind of media consumption a pain in the rear end.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I thought Transparent was pretty good. I saw it compared to Enlightened earlier, and I get the comparison, but I found it a lot more enjoyable. Enlightened never grabbed me and it felt like a chore to get through (the season and a half I watched anyway), but Transparent never felt like a slog.

Pretty solid cast all the way around, and the kids in the flashbacks couldn't be better clones of their adult counterparts. It's peculiar how similar they all look.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The last time I tried using it shows were split up by seasons and there was no clear way to organize it so that you're only looking at subscriber shows, instead of al a carte.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I never feel compelled to get around to watching Amazon shows because I pay the yearly Prime fee and kind of forget about it. I only subscribe to Netflix when new seasons of OitNB or House of Cards get released and then I cancel it after I binge them. I still haven't watched Alpha House and I probably won't get to Transparent soon because there are so many other shows to watch at the moment.

I also agree that the Amazon interface is awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Why TV series intros show some actors in 'Goon McGoon' form but others in 'Goon O'Goon as Dr. Flavour Butt' form?

It's all contract negotiation stuff. Being credit X as Y is more prestigious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

smg77 posted:

I never feel compelled to get around to watching Amazon shows because I pay the yearly Prime fee and kind of forget about it. I only subscribe to Netflix when new seasons of OitNB or House of Cards get released and then I cancel it after I binge them. I still haven't watched Alpha House and I probably won't get to Transparent soon because there are so many other shows to watch at the moment.

I also agree that the Amazon interface is awful.

In Transparent's favor, it's only 10 30 minute long episodes for the whole season, but it's really dense so it doesn't feel rushed at all.

• Locked thread