Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Arivia posted:

Not really. All of the companions go one season or more, and Toxxupation knows that.

Also the best companion is the one after this, sorry.

You're wrong. The best companion is Jamie McCrimmon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'd have to go with Susie Miller or Molly O'Sullivan.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's Frobisher.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arivia posted:

Not really. All of the companions go one season or more, and Toxxupation knows that.

Mickey

Also if you're gonna enter the contest thing you better hurry, since I'll be posting a review for "Partners in Crime" soon

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

It's Frobisher.

Heck yes!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, a companion being introduced in a Christmas special would be weird, they tend to be one-offs.

This was the Donna post that was drawing the most :golfclap: from me. I really wanted to respond but could not think of a subtle way to do it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Best companion is obviously K9. How many other companions have had two spin-offs?

Arivia posted:

There's several companions who did not last one season, but they were all the black and white, forty episodes a year era.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

It's Frobisher.

The Frobisher/Evelyn/Six Dream Team will now never come to pass :sad:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't wait for the holo-technology improve, so that we can have 20* Doctors-special with all the original doctors in the same story.

*I assume it won't be for a while.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I was about to ask why this could never happen and then I remembered. drat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance: It's Donna time :dance:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's kindof an amazing thing to not be spoiled on, I'm pretty sure I already knew way before it aired from the pre-season hype.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Did your "On the next time" segment at the end of Voyage not spoil Donna for you, or do you just not watch those.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's kindof an amazing thing to not be spoiled on, I'm pretty sure I already knew way before it aired from the pre-season hype.

I guess it's pretty easy to avoid when you're streaming them on Netflix. Watching in the UK though we were bombarded with adverts and magazine's covers for months before the first episodes.

Speaking of which, the advert for this season is my favorite of the revival too, though I think it includes spoilers so I won't link it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I guess it's pretty easy to avoid when you're streaming them on Netflix. Watching in the UK though we were bombarded with adverts and magazine's covers for months before the first episodes.

Speaking of which, the advert for this season is my favorite of the revival too, though I think it includes spoilers so I won't link it.

Post it in the main thread?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

Did your "On the next time" segment at the end of Voyage not spoil Donna for you, or do you just not watch those.

I made a REALLY strong point of telling him not to watch that one. Or the one in "Lazarus," for that matter, since it dropped spoilers for the rest of the season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good job Oxx A++ would withhold spoiler again

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Donna's back :swoon:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I rewatched Partners in Crime last night. It's such a good light comedy.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah good job not spoilering this one guys. It's fine to say Donna's the new companion. Just don't talk about for how long. :)

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I wanna say that the upcomming episode was the very first episode of Doctor Who that I ever watched.

You can imagine my confusion as to who Donna was, who the Doctor was (:heysexy:), and why they knew eachother.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Partners in Crime"
Series 4, Episode 1

People don't really change. They may try to change, for the better, and for the worse, but ultimately via a combination of laziness and lethargy they end up making the exact same decisions that they made before. They, ultimately, become exactly who they always were, who they were always meant to be.

Which is both the underlying message of Doctor Who and contradictorily, the opposite of its message. We watch The Doctor lift people up and change their lives for the better, in both great and small ways; either by adding them on as his Companions or by literally saving their lives, but ultimately they meet The Doctor and are somehow different from the meeting. Somehow better, since Doctor Who is at its core an optimistic show about a shouty British alien man helping others.

But again, people don't change. Despite Doctor Who's inherent optimism and positivity in its worldview, it inevitably makes the rather cynical, fatalistic assertion that despite all of his best efforts, the universe is still in danger, evil villains still want to destroy Earth, and people are, at their core, lazy and stupid.

Enter Donna Noble, once again played by Catherine Tate, who was last seen in "The Runaway Bride". If anything is more emblematic of the ultimate fatalism present in Doctor Who, it's Donna Noble. She met The Doctor, learned her fiance was in league with an evil spider woman, and watched a sociopathic alien man ruthlessly genocide an entire race. All on Christmas Day.

And she took all of that knowledge, that opening of her worldview to an intergalactic level, from her brush with The Doctor, with greatness, and what did she do with it? Nothing. Donna promised The Doctor that she was going to travel, that she was going to live her life to the fullest, and beyond one ill-advised trip to Egypt she's right back where she started- living with her parents (well, parent), out of work, living an unfulfilled life.

She so desperately wants her situation to change, to recapture some of the majesty she felt after meeting The Doctor that she ends up trolling conspiracy theory websites, investigating any and all weird phenomena that pop up not out of any real interest or desire to explore the unknown, but in the vague hope that doing so allows her to see The Doctor again. It's a sad, pathetic life that Donna now lives, crawling the internet to listen to any crackpot who's willing to shout long enough, as her mother harangues her for the arrested development Donna is now living. Infiltrating global pharmaceutical corporations not because she cares about public health and safety, but in the thousand-to-one chance that doing so lets her meet that weird English man in the tweed suit who so loved shouting.

The irony, of course, is that The Doctor himself isn't doing any better. He spends all of his time trying to figure out what the Adipose Corporation (which has manufactured a diet pill that seems to actually work, although its clear that there are more sinister motives behind what's going on) is up to, it's true, but at this point it seems like he's merely going through the motions. Even though much hay has been made about The Doctor needing his Companions more than they need him, the beautiful little scene of The Doctor making a key discovery, saying "Seems to be a bio-flip digital stitch specifically for..." But the camera pans to the left, and no-one is in the TARDIS but him. As he stands there, as the camera slowly zooms out on the shot of The Doctor standing in the TARDIS, very, very alone, it puts a wonderfully understated little button on the scene as a whole.

Because despite his own best efforts, despite the fact that The Doctor can explicitly change his own appearance at will, "Partners in Crime" posits that he, as along with Donna and, honestly, everyone else in the episode (when you think about it, the major antagonist sells a get-thin-quick bill of goods, essentially promising change with little to no effort) doesn't change either. He's a desperately lonely loner who needs other people in his life just to feel complete, and he falls upon the exact same tropes and cliches whether or not anyone else is around.

Nobody really changes, "Partners in Crime" argues. After two Companions in a row that wanted to be with him, romantically, The Doctor has had it with Companions. He's tired of the attendant headaches, he's tired of the awkward will-they-won't-they, he's just tired. He doesn't want Companions, and yet, well, he needs Companions, if only to feel something different.

"Partners in Crime" is a really interesting episode because it involves a Companion who left for an extended length of time and then ended up coming back. So it, fundamentally, reveals the mirage that's the audience belief that Rose and Martha are off doing great and having become better people in the process of hanging out with The Doctor for what it is- a mirage. Because Donna's no better than she was, she's made no forward progress in her life in the interim- and of the three Companions (Astrid doesn't count) that The Doctor has had, Donna was the one with her life the most in order. It puts two dour notes on the fact that she wants to start travelling with The Doctor in the first place- as he notes and fears, will Donna end up being exactly the same as the two who came before her and end up fancying The Doctor? And, is Donna just going back to something that made her feel valuable and important as a way to avoid real change? She's a middle-aged woman now, should she really be hanging out with The Doctor in the first place over trying to become better, no matter how ineffectual that might end up being?

"Partners" tries, and largely succeeds, at being a very silly episode of television mostly centered around creating a situation wherein Donna needs to rejoin The Doctor, and The Doctor needs her to rejoin him. The plot is largely secondary over having more scenes about and with Donna, most of them hilariously comic, but beyond that there's a very dark undercurrent of unfulfilled dreams that permeates the episode as a whole. Donna knows- because she was introduced to The Doctor having learned he just lost Rose, and is re-introduced this episode learning that he lost Martha -that her time on the TARDIS will be fleeting. We, the audience, know that Donna's time on Doctor Who is fleeting, especially since with the benefit of hindsight this is RTD's very last year as showrunner (and if I were to guess, the shift in showrunners beyond changing out Tennant as The Doctor also means changing out his Companions, as well), so it creates a very sour, depressing note to her introduction- like all the laughs and silliness are meant to inadequately paper over the fundamental truth of this episode- that Nothing ever changes.

Or does it? Because the climax of the episode, as the Adipose (fat monsters born from the shed weight of the people taking the pills; the head of Adipose Corporation turns out to be Miss Foster (Sarah Lancashire), a woman contracted to the Adipose race to create millions of Adipose babies) are beamed up into their nursing ship, as Donna and The Doctor look on, this important scene occurs:
Donna: "What are you gonna do, then? Blow 'em up?" The Doctor: "They're just children. They can't help where they came from." Donna: "Oh, well, that makes a change from last time. That Martha must have done you good."

Looking at how Ten acted in "The Runaway Bride" and how he acts now in "Partners in Crime" is, ultimately, a striking note that, perhaps, perhaps, people can change. That maybe, ultimately, Martha existing by his side for a year taught The Doctor some sort of lesson on how to be better, which has led him to a situation where he could, again, commit genocide against a bunch of ultimately innocent babies and he elects not to. His inclination to ultimately, go against his own wishes and accept Donna's rabid lobbying to be the new Companion is him, maybe, looking past his own sort of fatalism and entropic character development in the vague hopes that Donna is different than who came before her.

At the end of the day, "Partners in Crime" states that perhaps RTD himself, in his final desperate year as showrunner, he himself can change. That he can reign in his own worst excesses, his own terrible habits that so often sink his scripts, by bringing in a Companion who will never fall into the same traps of those who came before her. And perhaps I should trust him; Oxx is unusually bullish on this season, especially considering his distaste for most things Davies, and the generalized thread reaction to the quality of Series 4. Maybe I should trust him because RTD had Donna state, in no uncertain terms, that she wouldn't ever fall for The Doctor. But then I think about Martha saying the exact same thing in her first episode, or I see that ghost Rose is now a character in Series 4, or I think about the utter, utter wretchedness of "Voyage of the Damned", or I think about the fact that Donna herself as a Companion is Davies gravitating back to the safety of a Companion who worked over introducing a new one with his or her (almost definitely her) own motivations and personality, and I'm ultimately left wondering- Can people change?

Grade: B

Random Thoughts:
  • Donna and The Doctor having that silent meeting and conversation as Miss Foster and her goons explain the plot is utterly fantastic and really pays off the extended, somewhat overlong bit of Donna and The Doctor just missing each other.
  • God guys even though I'm kind of depressed she's in a situation where she has to come back gently caress I love Donna so much guys. So much. SO MUCH.
  • I really liked the Adipose in execution, especially when it's revealed that they're rather nice and pleasant to their hosts and not horrid monsters- essentially, yeah, they're just kids who want to live -but man conceptually are the Adipose so stupid.
  • I seriously thought at the end of the episode The Doctor would just leave Donna in the dust as she went off to drop off her keys in that bin and I was actually biting my fingernails in fear. That's how much I love Donna as a character. What...what is wrong with me, guys. What have you done
  • The Doctor: "Do you know what happens if you hold two identical sonic devices against each other?" Matron: "No." The Doctor: "Nor I. Let's find out!"
  • Donna: "I was right. It's always like this with you." The Doctor: "Yes it is. Now COME ON!"
  • Donna: "SMASH IT THEN!"
  • Donna: "Cause he's still out there Gramps, and I'll find him. Even if it takes me 100 years, I'll find him."
  • Donna: "I'm not drifting. I'm waiting."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 6, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I am hyped as gently caress for your review of the next episode.

VVV I was actually expecting a B or at worst a high C.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 6, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also yeah I'd be interested little_wh0re in what people thought I would grade this ep

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

First, great review as always Toxx, but it's Ten not Eleven. The Tenth Doctor is what we're on. Ten. One Zero. David TENnant. Deca-Doctor. Just saying.

Toxxupation posted:

[*] God guys even though I'm kind of depressed she's in a situation where she has to come back gently caress I love Donna so much guys. So much. SO MUCH.

Most of us do. You Are Not Alone.

quote:

[*] I really liked the Adipose in execution, especially when it's revealed that they're rather nice and pleasant to their hosts and not horrid monsters- essentially, yeah, they're just kids who want to live -but man conceptually are the Adipose so stupid.

We know. They were a painfully obvious attempt at a merchandising meme if all the Adipose plushies I see at every Doctor Who display in the mall is any indication.

quote:

[*] I seriously thought at the end of the episode The Doctor would just leave Donna in the dust as she went off to drop off her keys in that bin and I was actually biting my fingernails in fear. That's how much I love Donna as a character. What...what is wrong with me, guys. What have you done

We've done nothing. That's all Donna. All of it. Donna is love. Donna is life. All hail Donna.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think this season is actually particularly great by and large, but it has some excellent episodes. There are a lot of slow, dull, pointless-feeling ones too, though. Donna's definitely great though!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Donna Train don't got no breaks, baby. WOO WOO

You will see just how people can change with this season, oh yes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

armoredgorilla posted:

GOOD NEWS, NOW THAT YOU'VE FINALLY SEEN THE RUNAWAY BRIDE, YOU CAN READ MY FANFIC ABOUT DONNA NOBLE AND THE DOCTOR'S TRAVELS THROUGH SPACE AND TIME WITHOUT FEAR OF SPOILERS.

youre a monster

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Toxxupation posted:

youre a monster

:thurman:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Didja notice that Wilf (Donna's granddad) was the paper-seller from Voyage?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit oops
Wrong thread, sorry, bah!

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

It's kinda a sad that the primary reason Donna is better than the other companions is because she doesn't want to bang The Doctor. I mean I love her to death otherwise, but that is such a huge part of why she's great which is kinda hosed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wilfred is the best character all seasons. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would watch Wilfred and Donna do their taxes. That is how much I love them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

quote:

And she took all of that knowledge, that opening of her worldview to an intergalactic level, from her brush with The Doctor, with greatness, and what did she do with it? Nothing. Donna promised The Doctor that she was going to travel, that she was going to live her life to the fullest, and beyond one ill-advised trip to Egypt she's right back where she started- living with her parents (well, parent), out of work, living an unfulfilled life.

And yet at the start of the episode she did everything the Doctor did, but without the psychic paper, or sonic screwdriver. Donna is the best :unsmith:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

Also yeah I'd be interested little_wh0re in what people thought I would grade this ep

I'm hoping for regular updates, I Believe In Little Whore

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Donna is really solid. It helps that she feels like she's in a bit of a different spot than the last two. Sure, she's still living with her parents and is a bit confused about what's going on with her life, but you'll notice that traveling with the doctor is something SHE wants to do and SHE goes after. Instead of having a mystical magical man pop out of nowhere and offer her a trip through fairyland, in this season we have Donna breaking down the door to fairyland with hobnail boots and yelling HEY, LITTLE MAN, YOU ARE TAKING ME ALONG, YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember back when Donna was becoming the regular companion there were a lot of people not happy about it because they didn't like Catherine Tate.

I figured this one for an A on the return of Donna, the strong comedic beats in the first half of the episode, the emotional hook, and then the lack of anything really wrong with it. I guess I wasn't counting on Voyage of the Damned poisoning Toxxupation like that.

Of course, Voyage of the Damned has poisoned us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Of course, if you DO want to see what it might be like if Donna and the Doctor hooked up, Tate and Tennant did a brief run of Much Ado About Nothing, where they were Beatrice and Benedick, and while it was a stage production, it was filmed.

• Locked thread