Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

It does but it can be buggy and unreliable. There are some longstanding threads on their forums with people having issues losing their data when syncing remotely. You also have to deal with bandwidth issues, both your home Internet and the hotel's download speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GTO posted:

It does but it can be buggy and unreliable. There are some longstanding threads on their forums with people having issues losing their data when syncing remotely. You also have to deal with bandwidth issues, both your home Internet and the hotel's download speeds.

I have good bandwidth, didn't know about the data loss thing. Do you mean the files will delete from my home computer?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't think Plex ever really goes into that level of file management on the server side (or does it?) so it's probably more likely that the sync clears the phone by mistake. It's something I can live with if all goes wrong I guess. I'll use the speediest app at the hotel first to see if it's worthwhile, and jam a bunch of things on it before I leave. Looks like I might get some use out of my Plex Pass then!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Additional pro-tip to using Plex on the go: I've mapped my router's external port 80 to the internal port for plex, 32400. Frequently, free wifi & other on-the-go internet sources block uncommon ports, so doing this generally makes your plex server easier to access in those conditions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd be a little weary of opening 80 to the outside world mind. Also some ISPs specifically block you from doing that.

My parents ISP blocks 25 *outgoing* still. I swear it's changed hands so many times they probably don't even know they're doing it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I got Plex a few months ago so I could stream stuff to my PS4. At first it worked great through the internet browser. About a month or so ago, though, it stopped working completely. I'm using the same IP address, and the same web address that I've had bookmarked, but my PS4 says it's unable to connect to the server. I can use the internet otherwise just fine. It's just not wanting to connect to my Plex server, and gives me an error message of "Cannot connect to the server. (WV-33899-2)".

Anyone know how to fix this?

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 30, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I got Plex a few months ago so I could stream stuff to my PS4. At first it worked great through the internet browser. About a month or so ago, though, it stopped working completely. I'm using the same IP address, and the same web address that I've had bookmarked, but my PS4 says it's unable to connect to the server. I can use the internet otherwise just fine. It's just not wanting to connect to my Plex server, and gives me an error message of "Cannot connect to the server. (WV-33899-2)".

Anyone know how to fix this?

Did you update your router by chance? Are you going through localhost:32400 (or whatever port you have it set to)?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

Did you update your router by chance? Are you going through localhost:32400 (or whatever port you have it set to)?

Yea, everything is as it was when I got it all set up originially. No router updates or IP address changes or anything like that.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, everything is as it was when I got it all set up originially. No router updates or IP address changes or anything like that.

This is probably stupid but when you go to the plex server page it has the green check mark next to the port number, right? And you have port forwarding set up in your router?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

rock2much posted:

I have good bandwidth, didn't know about the data loss thing. Do you mean the files will delete from my home computer?

No, the bug is that you sometimes inexplicably lose all the content on your phone or ipad when syncing. Not too much of a problem when you're at home but a major pain when you don't have the bandwidth to redownload it all.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

This is probably stupid but when you go to the plex server page it has the green check mark next to the port number, right? And you have port forwarding set up in your router?

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I was at work. But yep. Everything's good to go on my PC, it just won't load on my PS4.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wow, Plex coming to both Xbox One and Xbox 360:

quote:

Plex today announced the release of Plex for both Xbox One and Xbox 360, its first TV app available on both Xbox gaming platforms, with an updated design that makes it easy to browse and enjoy personal media on the big-screen. The new design, which puts media artwork center stage, as well as incorporates new discovery features, will be brought to big-screen Plex apps in the future. Working with Microsoft, Plex for Xbox also supports Xbox native functionality like voice and gesture controls with Kinect.

“Plex for Xbox is an exciting milestone in our continued effort to help people enjoy their personal media, wherever they happen to keep it, on all of their screens.” says Scott Olechowski, Chief Product Officer and Plex Co-Founder. “It also happens to be the platform most requested by Plex enthusiasts, and we have worked hard to design an experience that will delight them and Xbox fans alike.”

Plex for Xbox One is available on Tuesday, October 7, to Plex Pass premium subscribers for free in the Apps store on Xbox Live. Plex for Xbox 360 will be available very soon. For those without a Plex Pass, Plex for Xbox One and Xbox 360 will be made available in the future for a one-time fee. Visit Plex.tv and read the Plex Blog to learn more about the new Plex apps for Xbox.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/09/prweb12191240.htm

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maneki Neko posted:

Wow, Plex coming to both Xbox One and Xbox 360

The UI looks great on the Xbox platform.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6918079/plex-launches-on-xbox

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not to be a dick, because I realize Plex isn't truly free, but is there a way I can give Plex the money for Xbox Live instead of Microsoft? It's a software that doesn't really require Microsoft to keep the Live network up and running.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

porkface posted:

Not to be a dick, because I realize Plex isn't truly free, but is there a way I can give Plex the money for Xbox Live instead of Microsoft? It's a software that doesn't really require Microsoft to keep the Live network up and running.

I guess we'll see tomorrow, but I'm assuming that like the other video apps that Plex doesn't require Xbox Live Gold.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

porkface posted:

It will probably work just like Hulu Plus where you can download it but need an account to get it to activate. Once it leaves plex pass paywall it will probably be the same way

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 7, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So far Plex on Xbone stutters where Chromecast doesn't. Kinda weird since the bone is 5hgz and AC while the Chromecast is only 2.4Ghz N

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

So far Plex on Xbone stutters where Chromecast doesn't. Kinda weird since the bone is 5hgz and AC while the Chromecast is only 2.4Ghz N

Disregard the dude's monotone voice, but Plex on the Xbone looks like it runs just fine in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8f8MPciUsw

And man, that UI is slick as hell. I want Plex Home Theater on my HTPC to look like that :(

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's running pretty drat smooth for me. Handled skipping around a video file just fine. The Chromecast would often poo poo itself you did that

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah, Plex on xbone has been fine for me, seems like it has better codec support than the firetv (just going on what I'm seeing direct play vs transcoding)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does the Xbone crush blacks with Plex too?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wtf is xbone?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

withak posted:

Wtf is xbone?

X-box One

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I see.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

teagone posted:

And man, that UI is slick as hell. I want Plex Home Theater on my HTPC to look like that :(

Yeah agreed that it looks great, but it sounds like a real hassle to click around with that controller. Is there a remote control option on the xbone?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah you shout at it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hahah oh God I forgot about Kinect.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yes. Any logitech remote works with it

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
What are the odds that they'll release a free plexpass version for IOS?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Canuckistan posted:

What are the odds that they'll release a free plexpass version for IOS?

Pretty slim given the way the App Store is structured.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a shame they can't design it so those who buy the iOS app can get a free month or something of PlexPass.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got an M8 android box for someone. I have plexbmc running on it, but curious if there is a standalone plex app that works ? The premium plex app is available on the google play store, but not the single pay version.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

jonathan posted:

The premium plex app is available on the google play store, but not the single pay version.

By single pay version do you mean Plex for PlexPass?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CrispKing posted:

By single pay version do you mean Plex for PlexPass?

No he means the standalone app for non-plex pass users that's listed at $4.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexapp.android&hl=en which should work on the M8 box, based on what I looked up real quick on it. Should have gotten a Fire TV or Roku for around the same price instead imo.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

jonathan posted:

Just got an M8 android box for someone. I have plexbmc running on it, but curious if there is a standalone plex app that works ? The premium plex app is available on the google play store, but not the single pay version.

I just checked for a way to report an app store compatibility error to Google and can't find one, you may need to report the missing app to Plex support and have them do it. In the meantime, though it's probably more than you really want to go through, you could conceivably root the M8 (this is the Amlogic TV box right? Googling "Amlogic M8 root" brought up plenty of results) and use something like Market Helper (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146216) to help get the right app installed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Smello posted:

I just checked for a way to report an app store compatibility error to Google and can't find one, you may need to report the missing app to Plex support and have them do it. In the meantime, though it's probably more than you really want to go through, you could conceivably root the M8 (this is the Amlogic TV box right? Googling "Amlogic M8 root" brought up plenty of results) and use something like Market Helper (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146216) to help get the right app installed.

Unless there's something odd going on with Google, it's up to the app developer to specify device compatibility.

In other words, definitely take it up with Plex before you waste your time trying to communicate with Google.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

No he means the standalone app for non-plex pass users that's listed at $4.99 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plexapp.android&hl=en which should work on the M8 box, based on what I looked up real quick on it. Should have gotten a Fire TV or Roku for around the same price instead imo.

I wanted an open platform to run xbmc on that I know won't try to circumvent side loading apps in the future. Plus it runs xbmc really really well. I have no use for any of the bloat that is on the fire tv. I wanted as close to a raw android experience as possible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonathan posted:

I wanted an open platform to run xbmc on that I know won't try to circumvent side loading apps in the future. Plus it runs xbmc really really well. I have no use for any of the bloat that is on the fire tv. I wanted as close to a raw android experience as possible.

If the M8 box is running plexmbc/xmbc fine and streaming properly from a plex server, why do you need the official plex android app?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I have Plex and love it. It's fantastic when paired with my Chromecast for streaming my stuff.

However...I do often watch things on my computer screen while multi-tasking. The Plex standalone client isn't really dual monitor friendly, even when I try to use it in windowed mode. The fact that you have to use a keyboard to move around is nice for a HTPC, but just used as a second monitor it's actually a bit difficult.

Are there any alternatives to actually use Plex to view stuff? As it stands, I can just watch the videos in Windows Media Player or VLC, but that obviously stinks for keeping track of what's "new" on Plex unless I manually mark it watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why don't you just use plex web?