Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Trastion posted:

Also if Comcast is rolling out their Public WiFi stuff in your area they will turn on a 2nd channel on your router to use for that. They claim there is no way for anyone to get into your systems using it though. gently caress that. I turned it off.

BT do that here in the UK, and it's very helpful, as if you have a BT account, it means you can hang off pretty much any other BT wireless network, I've found it very useful.

The two networks are properly separated though, there's no way to see your 'local' network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

spiny posted:

BT do that here in the UK, and it's very helpful, as if you have a BT account, it means you can hang off pretty much any other BT wireless network, I've found it very useful.

The two networks are properly separated though, there's no way to see your 'local' network.

Yeah that is what Comcast claims but we are a financial institution and I am not taking the chance that some hacker will find a way to get around it. It's bad enough they just have it on by default. The tech told me that if there is a firmware upgrade or modem reset it will turn back on again as on is the default.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A goon was involved with rolling that out for another ISP and the way he described it sounded pretty secure as far as getting access to the LAN sounded.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Inspector_666 posted:

A goon was involved with rolling that out for another ISP and the way he described it sounded pretty secure as far as getting access to the LAN sounded.

I don't think it's the theory/the technology people are doubting, it's Comcast.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We are right now getting Comcast service at almost all our sites to use as a backup, just as Comcast is "pulling out" of the state of Michigan-by handing over their clients to some joint company run by Charter (called, and I poo poo you not, SpinCo), just to prove they aren't a monopoly so their merger with TimeWarner will be approved by the FCC.

They are making us jump through hoops just to get started with them so I can't loving wait to see how much of a headache it's going to be when we are actually under contract with them. Then they will turn everything over to Charter, and it will probably become a complete clusterfuck.

But hey at least Comcast didn't get me fired from my job. Yet.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sirotan posted:

Holy poo poo. :psyboom:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: our datacenter ISP is announcing our 2 mexican datacenters /26's (in different aggregate /24's :v:) via Texas. So traffic from my apartment in mexico city to my dev server in mexico city goes to Cogent in McAllen TX, Houston, Dallas, to Level3 in Houston, McAllen and back to mexican city. Thanks, extra 80 ms of latency.

Apparently this is done to improve our US connectivity, which is great since we have no US customers at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Trastion posted:

This isn't just for Business Comcast either. They are doing it to your home router also. I own my own router so they can't use mine anyways. This is the main reason they forced everyone to upgrade to a new modem under the guise of moving to Docsis 3. They wanted to get everyone using the dual-radio modems so they can use the 2nd one, which is 5ghz compared to the 2.4ghz you get to use, for their Public WiFi crap.

Edit:

That makes no sense. 5Ghz has way less range than 2.4Ghz. The only way to use that is if someone walks into your yard and tries to use wifi.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

That makes no sense. 5Ghz has way less range than 2.4Ghz. The only way to use that is if someone walks into your yard and tries to use wifi.

Yeah, but this way they can claim they have the fastest public WiFi at more locations. They never said anyone was able to use it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agrikk posted:

I think I am ready to open a twitter account just so I can rant about Comcast. Apparently that's the only way to get service.
I tweet "gently caress comcast" every time my internet goes down, and the Comcast reps stopped trying to help a long time ago. Instead, I get DirectTV and Frontier reps telling me to switch :v:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I tweet "gently caress comcast" every time my internet goes down, and the Comcast reps stopped trying to help a long time ago. Instead, I get DirectTV and Frontier reps telling me to switch :v:

Comcast's interest in their social media support teams seems to have dwindled rapidly over the past few years. I worked there in 'corporate escalations' in 2010 or so and they were huge on it then. That was when @comcastcares was one dude who actually cared about it and his team. Then he moved on to bigger things and the whole department just kind of stagnated. I quit soon after so I don't know everything that happened, but it certainly doesn't seem to have gone well.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Sirotan posted:

This guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat and probably used his company information systems to get the controller office contacts. Good on his ex-company for immediately firing him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sirotan posted:

We are right now getting Comcast service at almost all our sites to use as a backup, just as Comcast is "pulling out" of the state of Michigan-by handing over their clients to some joint company run by Charter (called, and I poo poo you not, SpinCo), just to prove they aren't a monopoly so their merger with TimeWarner will be approved by the FCC.

Nah the deal with that is that Charter wanted to buy out Time Warner but lost the bidding war to Comcast. So as part of Charter agreeing not to cause legal hassles, Charter gets to grab up a good deal of Time Warner and Comcast networks across the country. It'll be an "independent" company (run by charter) for a bit and then Charter will either get to straight absorb it or sell it off to another company to cash in.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

stuxracer posted:

This guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat and probably used his company information systems to get the controller office contacts. Good on his ex-company for immediately firing him.

As much of a shitshow Comcast is at pretty much everything other than fraudulently billing people for things, cold calling the controller's office and (possibly) name dropping your firm is a great way to get poo poo on. Nobody in public accounting has the slightest hint of a sense of humor when it comes to any potential ethics violation. And invoking the PCAOB is sorta like threatening someone with the regulatory equivalent of a Saddam era SCUD missile.

This is also why Call Recording apps for your phone are so awesome. It's really easy to eliminate the whole he said she said aspect of your horrifically frustrating @ComcastCares experience when you take them to small claims. Then all of a sudden "our records don't show any call at this time" becomes "perhaps our systems missed that".

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

anthonypants posted:

It always amuses me to see those

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah the deal with that is that Charter wanted to buy out Time Warner but lost the bidding war to Comcast. So as part of Charter agreeing not to cause legal hassles, Charter gets to grab up a good deal of Time Warner and Comcast networks across the country. It'll be an "independent" company (run by charter) for a bit and then Charter will either get to straight absorb it or sell it off to another company to cash in.

The possiblity of going from Comcast to Charter is, in and of itself, more than enough proof that the merger should be shot down.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

The other deal is that when there is a big cable buy out, the remaining companies go on a trading spree. When cable started there were a lot of cable companies and a lot of competition to be the cable provider in the area. In some places, like the LA metro area, there were many providers, as each small city choose whoever gave the best bribes rates. This sucks from a logistical standpoint because your business is not consolidated. These kind of mergers let companies do non-tax triggering swaps.

E: All markets get traded around. I remember looking at a house that had a cable box with the name of a company that no longer existed and went away like 5 mergers ago.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

As much of a shitshow Comcast is at pretty much everything other than fraudulently billing people for things, cold calling the controller's office and (possibly) name dropping your firm is a great way to get poo poo on. Nobody in public accounting has the slightest hint of a sense of humor when it comes to any potential ethics violation. And invoking the PCAOB is sorta like threatening someone with the regulatory equivalent of a Saddam era SCUD missile.

This is also why Call Recording apps for your phone are so awesome. It's really easy to eliminate the whole he said she said aspect of your horrifically frustrating @ComcastCares experience when you take them to small claims. Then all of a sudden "our records don't show any call at this time" becomes "perhaps our systems missed that".

As much as I love the ability to record each and every phone call I make to Comcast (that for some reason I'm making instead of doing the sane thing and using their web chat), I'm guessing in two party states, starting your conversation with "this call may be recorded for training purposes my records" will get you hung up on real fast.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

As much as I love the ability to record each and every phone call I make to Comcast (that for some reason I'm making instead of doing the sane thing and using their web chat), I'm guessing in two party states, starting your conversation with "this call may be recorded for training purposes my records" will get you hung up on real fast.

Would you even need to say it if they already have, though? Both ends of the conversation are aware at that point that the call is being recorded, and it's hard to argue "but I didn't consent to it being recorded" when you've already said that you're recording the call.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Technogeek posted:

Would you even need to say it if they already have, though? Both ends of the conversation are aware at that point that the call is being recorded, and it's hard to argue "but I didn't consent to it being recorded" when you've already said that you're recording the call.

I was actually wondering the legality of that today, actually. If one party states that the call may be recorded, does the other party have to state it too?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sirotan posted:

The joys of living in a single party state. And yeah, since there is already an expectation that a call is being recorded, since you, you know, recorded the stupid hold recording stating that, then it's a non-issue. There was disclosure that the call was being recorded, the fact that it's automated on their end doesn't really factor into it at all. They play that recorded message to comply with the two party recording requirements that a lot of states have.

And yeah, most managers tend to care a lot more about the issues you have when you have recordings of their salesCustomer Service agents saying 'gently caress you' and hanging up. Or refusing to cancel your service and hanging up. They tend to pay real close attention when you mention thinking about putting the recording up on tindeck and tweet spamming @comcastcares.

P.S.: Did I mention how much I loving hate Comcast?

Hughmoris posted:

I was actually wondering the legality of that today, actually. If one party states that the call may be recorded, does the other party have to state it too?

Nope. In a single party state, as long as one party to the conversation (you) are aware that it's being recorded, parties two through n can be blissfully unaware of that until they see it in court. That's worded to prevent an unknown 3rd party from wiretapping or eavesdropping.

In a two party state, both parties must be aware that it's being recorded, with the assumption that if you don't want it recorded, you'll hang up. Note that refusing to consent to being recorded isn't legally binding and since you were duly notified of the recording, the other party isn't violating the law. In even the strictest states for two party recording, "FYI call is recorded" is all you need to do to cover your rear end.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 8, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

In a two party state, both parties must be aware that it's being recorded, with the assumption that if you don't want it recorded, you'll hang up. Note that refusing to consent to being recorded isn't legally binding and since you were duly notified of the recording, the other party isn't violating the law. In even the strictest states for two party recording, "FYI call is recorded" is all you need to do to cover your rear end.

The question was, if Party A is recording and notifies Party B that it is being recorded, can party B also record themselves without notifying party A in return? (This would be in 2-party consent states)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Che Delilas posted:

The question was, if Party A is recording and notifies Party B that it is being recorded, can party B also record themselves without notifying party A in return? (This would be in 2-party consent states)

That would probably come down to a state by state prior case law ruling. The general interpretation is they must both be aware, but I'm sure certain states will have had cases where both parties need to know if one or both of the parties are being recorded.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't think i've ever called somewhere major (dell,etc) for support and it didn't say this is recorded for
quality assurance.

If you get that on your recording, you're golden.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

incoherent posted:

If you get that on your recording, you're golden.

Do you have a link to the relevant laws that say this? Because again, the party who gives the notification is golden, obviously, it's the other party I'm wondering about.

Edit: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/08/14/want-to-record-your-conversation-with-comcast-if.html

This article seems to indicate that it's not, if you're in an all-party consent state:

Article posted:

Pennsylvania, for instance, is a two-party consent state, which basically means if either person in a conversation is recording, the other must approve.

Not exactly a primary source, but if you live in one of the all-party consent states you may want to be careful.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 8, 2014

canis minor
May 4, 2011

There are currently three .htaccess authentications on the website I'm in charge of (each one having exactly the same username/password; this hasn't been done by myself - it's a combination of colleague of mine/client) - apparently nobody sees this as a problem.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As far as recording, the issue is whether or not it will hold up in court.

If you record, especially if they already said they are, and you just let it loose on the internet instead of trying to use it in a legal proceeding, the impact is much the same without the same level of legal bullshit, since PR > all else.

:goonsay:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"So Dogstile, why do you have so many tickets in your name?"
"Oh you know that client you gave me? They have four times as many tickets as all the other clients I have put together"
"A good engineer should be able to work on lots of tickets at once!"

Ugh, you cock. I'm doing that already while also being the go to "Its on fire? Oh, call Dogstile" person. There's only so much I can do dammit!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
HP Support. All of it. Finding the chat section on their website (I ended up googling) and tracking down any useful information which is littered over 5 or so different pages that mostly time out, probably because of redirects. Chat support is "usually" helpful when I get to them, but before I do it is a complete pain. I'm sure that splitting into 2 companies with arbitrary "enterprise" and "printers and PCs" won't cause this to be more confusing and annoying. Not at all.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

ptier posted:

HP Support. All of it. Finding the chat section on their website (I ended up googling) and tracking down any useful information which is littered over 5 or so different pages that mostly time out, probably because of redirects. Chat support is "usually" helpful when I get to them, but before I do it is a complete pain. I'm sure that splitting into 2 companies with arbitrary "enterprise" and "printers and PCs" won't cause this to be more confusing and annoying. Not at all.

I remember when HP "changed" their website.
Every google search you did pointed to the "old" website for about 6 months, forcing you to use their lovely search engine until google caught up. (or they let google catch up)

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
:derp:"Can you come up and vacuum out my printer?"
:v:".. what's the issue?"
:derp:"it's just full of paper dust and my prints have lines running through them, can you clean the rollers too?"
:v:"yeah, it probably needs a new fuser and rollers, I'll be up shortly with a maintenance kit."
:derp:"oh no, I just need it cleaned out."
:v: "it's filthy because the toner isn't bonding to the paper, and the dust is getting every where. you don't want to be breathing that stuff. you work in a small office with the door shut. I'll bring the kit."
:derp:"We're watching our spending right now, just come clean it."

gently caress. Let's treat the symptoms and not the disease, though in this case the disease might be your garden variety rectal-cranial inversion.

Heads up their asses.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

slightpirate posted:

:derp:"Can you come up and vacuum out my printer?"
:v:".. what's the issue?"
:derp:"it's just full of paper dust and my prints have lines running through them, can you clean the rollers too?"
:v:"yeah, it probably needs a new fuser and rollers, I'll be up shortly with a maintenance kit."
:derp:"oh no, I just need it cleaned out."
:v: "it's filthy because the toner isn't bonding to the paper, and the dust is getting every where. you don't want to be breathing that stuff. you work in a small office with the door shut. I'll bring the kit."
:derp:"We're watching our spending right now, just come clean it."

gently caress. Let's treat the symptoms and not the disease, though in this case the disease might be your garden variety rectal-cranial inversion.

Heads up their asses.
Have you showed them the cost for a toner vacuum yet?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pissing me off: "Who are you looking for? The CEO? Well he's in a meeting, why don't you just wander around our office unattended while everyone is at lunch?"

Long story short I just finished filing a police report about a stolen phone and laptop. MY laptop. :sigh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
One of the companies we contract with refuses to send out more debug boards. The debug boards we are using are now TWO hardware revisions behind with 20+ wires and jumps going every which way.

Ask me about scraping off silk to get to buried traces and vias! :v:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I remember when HP "changed" their website.
Every google search you did pointed to the "old" website for about 6 months, forcing you to use their lovely search engine until google caught up. (or they let google catch up)

They very recently redesigned the support portal for their Openview/BTO software suite, and while the new design is probably an improvement (I don't think the old one had changed significantly since 2007), it doesn't change the fact that the software I use has downloads in three different locations, none of which makes any reference to the other two. If you don't already know to look in those other places you'll never find what you're looking for.

anthonypants posted:

He just said they're watching their spending, jeez.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

I once went out to a customer that had used their regular vacuum to clean up a toner spill. The walls were grey.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm the newest person on our 2nd level team, recently promoted off of the Helpdesk. For some reason everyone is coming to me for help, I give them the right answer because I know my poo poo, and they then come back complaining or smug about how nothing worked and when I ask them what they did it turns out they followed none of my instructions. What's even the loving point of asking me a question? Why are you all constantly coming to me if you're senior? gently caress this poo poo.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Do you have a link to the relevant laws that say this? Because again, the party who gives the notification is golden, obviously, it's the other party I'm wondering about.

Edit: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2014/08/14/want-to-record-your-conversation-with-comcast-if.html

This article seems to indicate that it's not, if you're in an all-party consent state:

Not exactly a primary source, but if you live in one of the all-party consent states you may want to be careful.

Also not a primary source, but I did find this link: http://www.aapsonline.org/judicial/telephone.htm but I have no idea how current it is.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Spot the IT people:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

"The top 10 percent of American drinkers - 24 million adults over age 18 - consume, on average, 74 alcoholic drinks per week. That works out to a little more than four-and-a-half 750 ml bottles of Jack Daniels, 18 bottles of wine, or three 24-can cases of beer. In one week."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alphacard is pissing me off.

quote:

Unfortunately, the activation system for that version of software no longer exists, so the program cannot be transferred to a different machine or re-activated again. I apologize for the inconvenience, if you would like you may call in to our sales department at the number below (Option 1) to discuss your options.

No, I'm not going to buy a newer version of your software that I purchased less than four years ago. That's bullshit.