Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The exact way regeneration works is that for 4d6 seconds after having his hit points reduced to zero, the Doctor is invulnerable, unless his hit points went enough into the negatives to go over his intelligence score.

It's storytelling, things don't need to be that specific. It depends on the story they're telling at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved their cover too :allears:. If you want some more good genre-swapping music, check out Postmodern Jukebox on Youtube.

jazzradio-reprises.radio.fr/ is another great station that has a lot of jazz covers of pop and rock songs from 80s to present mixed heavily in their playlist. I listen to it a lot in my car on Xiia.

FWIW I think while you can read in some deep meaning to Foxes doing that song as being an anachronism, I think it was more "hey, let's get a hip pop singer to do a cameo and sing something atmospheric" on the producers parts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still like to think that the potion the Sisters brewed was a placebo- the Doctor would have always regenerated into Chri-I mean John Hurt, he just now did it while in the mind set of YEAR GOING TO WAR

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Senor Tron posted:

That's one interpretation but the dialogue in the episode suggests that he simply died too quickly and was dead before having chance to regenerate. He has a discussion with Wilf later on in the series that says that can happen.

I'm all in favour of the idea that he used up all his regenerations underwater though, because I like when shows get morbid like that.

Yeah, I have always thought the dialogue was explicit in that scene, he died too quickly to regenerate. I think the UNIT guy was a regular (for UNIT episodes, anyway?) and knew what he looked like, so would be kinda dumb for him to say that if he was wearing a different face.

qntm posted:

I'm about to go back in time and make it known earlier.

Maybe you already did? What if you were the one he heard it from, originally, you just haven't gone back and done it yet? What if he is from the future, went back and told you? And then that version of you ran into a past version of him, and you didn't realize he didn't know it yet and so you just blabbed it out and the

Sorry, been listening to the Klein trilogy this past week.

McGann fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 15, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Read that as "Kinda hoping The Master is Adrian Chiles"

This just makes me want Stewart Lee as the Doctor to face him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Senor Tron posted:

Turn Left had The Doctor drowning and being unable to regenerate due to being stuck underwater.

Or he ran through his last regenerations but still drowned. He could have looked like Peter Capaldi under that sheet for all we know.

Or he...just...chose not to regenerate. He was pretty mopey until Donna smacked some sense into him.

McGann posted:

Yeah, I have always thought the dialogue was explicit in that scene, he died too quickly to regenerate. I think the UNIT guy was a regular (for UNIT episodes, anyway?) and knew what he looked like, so would be kinda dumb for him to say that if he was wearing a different face.

Maybe you already did? What if you were the one he heard it from, originally, you just haven't gone back and done it yet? What if he is from the future, went back and told you? And then that version of you ran into a past version of him, and you didn't realize he didn't know it yet and so you just blabbed it out and the

Sorry, been listening to the Klein trilogy this past week.

He was literally a background character from the Sontaran two-parter, which chronologically took place after the Racnoss invasion. It's possible they had other means of identifying the species of a dead guy (they're UNIT, after all), and dead Time Lord holding Sonic Screwdriver + abandoned TARDIS + Doctor is last known Time Lord = Yeah that's him.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Burkion posted:

No Time Lord has been DIRECTLY hit by the Dalek death beams.

The fact that the Eleventh Doctor getting exterminated out loud is such a minor detail in The Big Bang that everyone forgot it is ample demonstration of why I freaking love it so much.

Fil5000 posted:

This just makes me want Stewart Lee as the Doctor to face him.
I tried to find the bit from This Morning With Richard Not Judy where the Curious Orange becomes Davros but it's not on Youtube any more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Psybro posted:

The fact that the Eleventh Doctor getting exterminated out loud is such a minor detail in The Big Bang that everyone forgot it is ample demonstration of why I freaking love it so much.

Actually that's a good point. Unless I'm miss remembering, the 11th Doctor, or at least an off shoot of him temporally speaking, was shot by the Dalek and straight up DIED. No regeneration.

Just time bullshit was playing.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Burkion posted:

Actually that's a good point. Unless I'm miss remembering, the 11th Doctor, or at least an off shoot of him temporally speaking, was shot by the Dalek and straight up DIED. No regeneration.

He faked it, the dalek was still low on power.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think that's what they intended. You don't see he's face because he's meant to have regenerated and then drown, using all his chances up.

How can you drown if you have a respiratory bypass system? :raise:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My favourite part of the Turn Left thing is that 10 is such a loving psychopath that he stood there staring at the aliens he was genociding until he drowned.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

He was literally a background character from the Sontaran two-parter, which chronologically took place after the Racnoss invasion.

Ah, I am just starting to re-watch some of Tennant's run, so I forgot that Turn Left had a big chronological leap backwards. Though it should've been obvious in retrospect. What I'm saying is: Touché.

And 10 is definitely a loving sociopath. Which leads me to a very spergy thought - do time lords have mental disorders? If so, do they carry on with the next regeneration?

Then I thought 'bout it for 5 seconds and realized I didn't actually care. Carry on, nerd brain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Gallifreyan psychotherapy involves shooting the patient so they regenerate as a not crazy person.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McGann posted:

Ah, I am just starting to re-watch some of Tennant's run, so I forgot that Turn Left had a big chronological leap backwards. Though it should've been obvious in retrospect. What I'm saying is: Touché.

And 10 is definitely a loving sociopath. Which leads me to a very spergy thought - do time lords have mental disorders? If so, do they carry on with the next regeneration?

Then I thought 'bout it for 5 seconds and realized I didn't actually care. Carry on, nerd brain.

...do Time Lords have mental disorders.

That is not a spergy thought. That's just a dumb question.

I mean, jokes/ theories about the Doctor being a sociopath or having ADHD or whatever aside...

THE MASTER.

The Master!

The Master.

Seriously, YES Time Lords have mental problems.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does a dalek beam not deliver instant death then?

No. The Daleks can use it to stun as well, as they did with Ian in the first story, paralyzing his legs temporarily.

Fred is on posted:

An idea that occured to me recently:

Missy -> Mistress -> The Master is a woman now

Really makes you think............

Not according to one forum I lurk at.

See, most of them are convinced that Missy actually means "Missing Episodes" and the Promised Land is their return.

Which is why series 8 has been peppered heavily with references to them. "Fish People" is obviously a reference to "The Underwater Menace". Remember that shot of the Doctor sitting on top of the TARDIS, floating above the Earth? Obviously a reference to the "Macro Polo" episode "The Roof of the World". Remember that blouse Clara was wearing that was patterned with eyes? No? Doesn't matter, that was obviously a shout-out at another "Marco Polo" episode, "The Cave of Five Hundred Eyes". Remember in "Into The Dalek", the Doctor had a line like "Up or down, it doesn't matter [sic]"? That's a quote from "The Power of the Daleks"! The poster for "Kill the Moon" had the tagline "A mission to the unknown". What's another missing episode? "Mission to the Unknown." Plus, they had space suits on while walking on the moon's surface, just like in "The Moonbase"!

How many episodes are purported to be found? Either 96 or 97. Remember in The Caretaker, when the Doctor and Clara were arguing over that Jane Austin publication date? What were those years? 96 and 97!
The signs are all there! The Doctor had jelly babies in the last episode, and Troughton originated the jelly babies! The Doctor had adopted Hartnell-like mannerisms. What more proof do you need?

And remember this exchange from "Mummy on the Orient Express" (emphasis THEIRS)

quote:

Perkins: It's quite a vehicle you have here Doctor. I won't pretend to understand half of it. Having said that, I did notice you've got a couple of drive stacks need replacing
The Doctor: Oh you did, did you?
Perkins: You should get someone in, and a job like that takes forever
The Doctor: Really? Well I suppose whoever I did get in... might be easier to have them just stay on board for a while.... I don't suppose you'd know of anyone?
Perkins: No... sorry Doctor, I don't think I do. That job could... change a man
The Doctor: Yes it does, frequently

& later after Perkins departs

Clara: Do you love it?
The Doctor: Love what?
Clara: I know it's scary and difficult. Do you love being the man making the impossible choice?
The Doctor: Why would I?
Clara: Because it's what you do. All day, every day
The Doctor: It's my life
Clara: Doesn't have to be. Is it like... an addiction?
The Doctor: You can't really tell if something's an addiction until you try and give it up
Clara: And you never have
The Doctor: Let me know how it goes

& after Clara talks by phone to Danny

Clara: As long as you get me home safe, and on time everything is great. I'm so sorry, I've had a wobble, it's a big wobble but it's fine, forget about it.

That exchange between the Doctor and Perkins had no bearing on the plot (according to the forum), so it's blatant that it's about the man who's been hunting for the missing episodes for years.

See? The entirety of series 8 is about nothing but the search and recovery of the missing episodes! Wake up sheeple!

"But Davros1," you say. "What about everything else, all the other references to non-missing stuff, like 'The Empty Child', or 'Carnival of Monsters'?"

Just ignore those. Don't pay attention to them. Just look at all the cherry picked stuff that's forced to fit the theory. That's what you need to pay attention to!

In other words, people be crazy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well, the Great Intelligence returning apparently WAS beacuse Moff had foreknowledge of the Web of Fear find, so ANYTHING'S FUCKIN' POSSIBLE NOW!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tbh, that would be a better resolution than whatever bullshit I'm sure Moffat has in store.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just listened to Minuet In Hell .

No one Everyone Drunk people Probably no one should listen to Minuet In Hell except you need to understand.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

...do Time Lords have mental disorders.

The Master!

The Master.

Seriously, YES Time Lords have mental problems.

I guess I should have phrased that better, but every time I rephrase it I answer my own question before I even finish the thought.

Depressed Time Lord? 8 in Dark Eyes.

Manic Time Lord? 11..pretty much pick an episode.

I would put 7 and 12 as sociopaths if they didn't still feel moral responsibility (and early 1, though I am using this thread as a reference and not my own interpretation). In fact, I guess Time Lord Society (tm) as a whole kinda fits the theme depending on how you view their non-interventions/CIA actions (god I hate that acronym).

Now I've gone and sperged out on it like I thought I wouldn't. I'm veering into Community/Abed and Sherlock/Sherlock aspergers territory here, bail out!

edit:

Jerusalem posted:

God I'd forgotten how much I love The Big Bang.

I always forget how much I adore this episode for some of the best usage of timey-wimey hijinx in NuWho.

McGann fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 15, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

God I'd forgotten how much I love The Big Bang. Outside of the many other reasons, I still love that all of time and reality itself ceasing to exist caused the other races to cease to exist, but the Daleks are just so goddamn stubborn that they simply turned to stone instead.

docbeard posted:

I just listened to Minuet In Hell .

No one Everyone Drunk people Probably no one should listen to Minuet In Hell except you need to understand.

I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.

But yeah, unless you've listened to it you really can't understand just how.... Minuet in Hell.... it is.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Haven't been keeping up since I won't get a chance to watch S8 until I grab it off amazon, but quick question:

Remembrance of the daleks was recommended here as one of the best classic who episodes, and I recently watched it with a couple of friends and we all enjoyed that, so what would be good additional episodes / dvds to grab to tide me over?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ika posted:

Haven't been keeping up since I won't get a chance to watch S8 until I grab it off amazon, but quick question:

Remembrance of the daleks was recommended here as one of the best classic who episodes, and I recently watched it with a couple of friends and we all enjoyed that, so what would be good additional episodes / dvds to grab to tide me over?

The Curse of Fenric is an almost-direct follow-up, in terms of characters, and is basically the Best. Watch that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you enjoyed Remembrance, check out Genesis of the Daleks which introduces Davros and fills in on the specific origin of the Daleks (and is written by their creator). It's an excellent story with some pretty great performances, including two iconic moments from the Doctor and Davros where they consider the implications of their actions.

If you're looking for something non-Dalek, maybe try out The Curse of Fenric which is another 7th Doctor story. It's a more uneven story, but Sylvester McCoy's Doctor is at his "grand chessmaster" best.

Edit: Well there you go, 2 recommendations for Curse!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Curse of Fenric is quite possibly the best single serial of the classic series, and an easy top ten for the whole show. Only The Brain of Morbius or City of Death could really hope to compete, really.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Sounds good, thanks. Definitely will grab Curse and Genesis.

E: And the third vote for curse, nice.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
My and the missus are marathon watching Walking Dead and we just got onto season 3. Is that The Next Doctor we saw in this? Morrisy is it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

City of Death I think suffers from the same "problem" that The Caves of Androzani does. It's a fantastic story and a hell of a watch, but they both serve as capstones to a lot of build-up of characters and their relationships. In the case of the latter it's all about the 5th Doctor's determination to save at least one person after wading through story after story of death and failure. In the case of the former, it's been the slow development of the rapport between the Doctor and Romana reaching this beautiful moment where they both completely understand and appreciate each other and decide to go gently caress about in Paris for a few days and just enjoy each other's company (which also works wonderfully for the brief bit we see on the river Cam in Shada).

You can watch and enjoy both stories just fine by themselves, but I do think they work much better if you've seen at least some of the stories leading up to them. Brain of Morbius on the other hand, well that's just great any time for any reason :allears:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

My and the missus are marathon watching Walking Dead and we just got onto season 3. Is that The Next Doctor we saw in this? Morrisy is it?

Yep, apparently if he loses a kid his reaction is to either retreat into becoming a romantic hero or a murderous psychopath. So.... the 10th Doctor, basically!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, the Great Intelligence returning apparently WAS beacuse Moff had foreknowledge of the Web of Fear find, so ANYTHING'S FUCKIN' POSSIBLE NOW!

That's a better behind the scenes bit than the whole "trying to oust Moffat by holding tapes ransom" thing that I had heard.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When did the Time War actually take place? Is it near the end of the Universe or does it take place during any of the storylines?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

When did the Time War actually take place? Is it near the end of the Universe or does it take place during any of the storylines?

It's a Time War, so it takes place whenever/wherever/however it does. Cause and effect means nothing, crazy paradoxes ensue, and battles don't happen in chronological order for anybody but the two races duking it out at the top of the food chain (Time Lords and Daleks). Maybe a battle happens in the year 5 billion, and another in the year 2 trillion, and another in 1982 and another in 1066 - all the universe knows is that it is being torn apart by two monstrous forces they can't understand.... and then it's over and only the really hyper-advanced races really remember anything happening at all, because the time stream has been stitched back together around the damage as best it could.

Basically it's an unfilmable mess which is why it was a very good thing that Day of the Doctor is so explicitly set on the LAST day of the Time War when all the crazy poo poo has boiled down to a basic infantry land invasion of Gallifrey ala the storming of Berlin, when all that was left of the Third Reich was old men and young boys with barely functional weaponry from the the bottom of the munitions barrel.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching The End of Time again, and for all the craziness, it might be my favorite performance in the entire series by Tennant. His utter fear of the end, and the way he portrays it hits me every time. It's interesting that it's been kind of written off as his vanity since he doesn't really die, but I think as humans who have to ask some very hard question about their mortality we can all appreciate where he's coming from.

Another theme I enjoyed is the idea that he's lived too long and it's causing him to make mistakes like Time Lord Victorious and almost leaving Wilf in the booth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

almost leaving Wilf in the booth.

I don't think for even the barest nano-second he ever considered leaving Wilf in the booth. When he goes on his bitter rant about how unfair it is (juxtaposed really wonderfully with his joy moments earlier when he thought he'd survived everything) he mentions that he should leave Wilf to die and gives justifications as to why.... but that's just him venting his frustration. I don't think he ever really thought,"I should just leave this old man to die" and I don't think it was intended for us to have that interpretation - he's upset and bitter about the situation but from the moment he heard that knocking, saw Wilf and visibly sank as the realization hit him he always knew he was going to step into the other booth and let Wilf out.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I do kind of still refuse to believe that that was the only plausible way to get him out of there in time, but :shrug:.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Watching The End of Time again, and for all the craziness, it might be my favorite performance in the entire series by Tennant. His utter fear of the end, and the way he portrays it hits me every time. It's interesting that it's been kind of written off as his vanity since he doesn't really die, but I think as humans who have to ask some very hard question about their mortality we can all appreciate where he's coming from.

Tennant's performance, particularly his scenes with Bernard Cribbins, is why I will always defend The End Of Time, whatever its other flaws.

Hell, for that matter, I can just about justify the existence of Voyage of the Damned for that one angry moment where he shouts "but I can do anything!" Just about.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or he ran through his last regenerations but still drowned. He could have looked like Peter Capaldi under that sheet for all we know.

Let's just split the difference and say it was Tennant under there, but he may well have regenerated multiple times, ending up in the same body over and over simply because he loves himself so much.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The rest of the episode was perhaps a bit dodgy but I really loved Tennant's final moments. Having a "triumphant" regeneration is perhaps easier, but I liked the way it addressed the fact that Time Lord immortality is actually a poisoned chalice - you're forced to, in a very real way, experience your own death again and again.

Plus, you know, it was Wilf. It wouldn't have worked if it was anyone other than Wilf.

e: Tennant only had two regenerations left during Turn Left anyway, right? You could justify his drowning death by any of the three mechanisms (instant death, double kill, running out of regenerations) easily.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 16, 2014

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" is a crazy serial. If it weren't for all the weird racism, it'd pretty much be a perfect story. Tom Baker seems to be ahving a lot of fun in it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: Tennant only had two regenerations left during Turn Left anyway, right? You could easily justify his drowning death by any of the three mechanisms (instant death, double kill, running out of regenerations) easily.

This also makes his fear of regeneration make more sense, he's going onto his last life and Trenzalore.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PriorMarcus posted:

This also makes his fear of regeneration make more sense, he's going onto his last life and Trenzalore.

I really think that the "I don't want to go" stuff was a holdover from Human Nature/Family of Blood. The Doctor said that John Smith would always be a part of him, and in some ways Smith is closer to 10 than even his other regenerations are. Smith was terrified of dying, but ended up choosing to do so for the greater good. To save people. While 10 had a very rocky path, when it came time to choose, he ultimately decided to be the man John Smith was: a man who had to face his fear of death to save another. In fact, you could almost argue that 10 one-upped Smith. Smith chose to die in order to save many people, but 10 died to save a single, ordinary grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

docbeard posted:

Tennant's performance, particularly his scenes with Bernard Cribbins, is why I will always defend The End Of Time, whatever its other flaws.

Bernard Cribbins was an absolute joy in The End of Time. The scene of Wilf trying to give the Doctor the gun is such a wonderful moment. The Doctor's "reward" is probably a tad overboard, but everything else about his death was great in my mind.

• Locked thread