Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Das Volk posted:

Last local C&C of the year saw some interesting stuff:

I just looked that up. That's a hybrid-electric truck. The fuel-burning part under the heat blanket is a diesel-powered turbine. The turbine runs at constant speed when needed, for efficiency.
That's awesome. Also, my last name happens to be Wright, so doubly awesome (no relation, darn it.)

http://wrightspeed.com/

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I got on one of those kicks, so crossposting from the NASCAR thread because if these ain't AI I dunno what is (one or two I think I posted in the last few pages)

Let's have a superspeedway modified effortpost, then!

Clockwise from top left: Harry Gant, Rusty Wallace, and Richie Evans in the Permatex 200 NASCAR Modified race @ Daytona. Evans goes on to win.

Richie Evans in the Pee Wee Griffin "Aardvark" Camaro, Permatex 200, 1977. Finishes 39 laps down due to mechanical issues. He hated this car, the nose was poorly designed and generated lift at race speeds.

Here's two shots of Maynard Troyer's Mustang II (lol), slightly different bodywork, unsure of the race and year. I believe it's 1973 or 1974, most likely a Pocono car. Fun fact, Troyer built the following cars himself.

For 1975 and 1976 things get a bit more extreme...

Troyer, also the same 1977 Permatex 200 as Richie Evans earlier. Finished 16th after a crash.

His last Mustang II was probably the wildest looking.

Here's Richie Evans' main rival Jerry Cook, in his Chevrolet Monza at Daytona, 1979. Finished 12th

Cook at Oswego, 1982

Geoff Bodine's Pinto, Daytona, 1975. Wrecked the car and still got 10th

Bodine in a Mustang II, 1976. 9th this time

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

:swoon:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh my goodness :swoon:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

don't stop, I'm almost there

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Here's another:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sorry for the dark and blurry, it's from a dark area of a museum.

edit: somehow a halftrack citroen snuck in there, but i'm fuckin leaving it there.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Zeether posted:

Here's another:

oh god I'm COMING

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:flashfap: :gizz:

Yes, best page in a long time. I miss my FB so bad, wish I'd never had to sell that car. One day...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Widebody FBs seriously look super good. There's a white FB here with a 383 stroker stuffed under the hood that i'd love to own but the owner hasn't been around in forever so it just collects dust :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Widebody FBs seriously look super good. There's a white FB here with a 383 stroker stuffed under the hood that i'd love to own but the owner hasn't been around in forever so it just collects dust :(

This thing comes up for sale every few months here. Who knows why :iiam:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Powershift posted:

This thing comes up for sale every few months here. Who knows why :iiam:

Haha, not to point out the obvious or anything but that car is RUINED

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is that "roll cage" made out of exhaust pipe?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

Is that "roll cage" made out of exhaust pipe?

Galvanized poo poo pipe.

That or fence pipe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Galvanized poo poo pipe.

That or fence pipe.

Why waste money on steel pipe when people leave chain link fences just sitting around everywhere.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

oh god I'm COMING

Hot drat, I think I know what my next project car is going to be.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I adore this page so much.

case
Mar 27, 2005

88h88 posted:

These are loving amazing!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Translated for the other 98% of the world

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 16, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^

At first I thought imgur had screwed up the images... Well played. :golfclap:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

I am 100% a twat guilty of this, like 5 times per motorway journey.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I tend to find people going at closer to 58mph in the middle lane.
Then I have to find the right moment to overtake without being rear-ended by a someone going stupidly fast in a BMW/Audi/Merc.

freelop fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 16, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

freelop posted:

I tend to find people going at closer to 58mph in the middle lane.
Then I have to find the right moment to overtake without be rear-ended by a someone going stupidly fast in a BMW/Audi/Merc.

This is extra fun in Europe on the autobahn. Right lane is trucks doing 100kph and cars sitting around 130kph, middle is around 150kph and left lane is occasional people doing 160kph jumping left to pass. Then there's the German wagons hauling along at 200kph+ and the random high end car doing 250+.

It's a lot of fun but you have to watch your mirrors like crazy and be ready to get on the brakes hard if needed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is extra fun in Europe on the autobahn. Right lane is trucks doing 100kph and cars sitting around 130kph, middle is around 150kph and left lane is occasional people doing 160kph jumping left to pass. Then there's the German wagons hauling along at 200kph+ and the random high end car doing 250+.

It's a lot of fun but you have to watch your mirrors like crazy and be ready to get on the brakes hard if needed.

From what I've heard Germany takes tailgating, staying right except to pass, and actually using your mirrors and signals seriously, which probably helps a lot in making the whole thing work safely.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

I am 100% a twat guilty of this, like 5 times per motorway journey.

If I didn't pass people on the "wrong" side I would never get anywhere. gently caress 'em if they don't like it.

The worst are the people that sit in the left lane, take forever to get out of your way, and then immediately get right back in the left lane and continue going slow. Get the gently caress right and stay right you idiots.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Terrible Robot posted:

If I didn't pass people on the "wrong" side I would never get anywhere. gently caress 'em if they don't like it.

The worst are the people that sit in the left lane, take forever to get out of your way, and then immediately get right back in the left lane and continue going slow. Get the gently caress right and stay right you idiots.

:argh: Stay out of the passing lane you bastards!

Passing on the wrong side is only a dick move if there are like 5 lanes and everybody is staying in the second lane to avoid ramp traffic, and you fly by doing 20 over on the ramp side. That's the dick move.

Or that awful haul in Indiana where trucks are allowed to use all lanes, so you can end up with a four- or five-lane turtle race. And it seems like none of the rednecks have speedometers because somebody in the passing lane will just suddenly coast down to 45, look around and realize their sister is waiting for them, and suddenly mash on the pedal back to 70. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Or the highways in Ohio where there are so goddamn many "exit only" ramps on both the left and right, complete with misleading thruway markers, so all the truckers and slow drivers huddle in the middle lane while anyone trying to get anywhere has to weave in and out of traffic like a fighter pilot dodging clouds of flak. I once got in a caravan of cars who were doing 90 through traffic and we looked like a game of Centipede.

And why do people in that area think they have to slow down and match speed with the bumpers of every trucker? I swear in Ohio I hover my hands over the cruise control, as the driver in front of me approaches the back bumper of a truck I hit Cancel, wait a second, Resume. Then as they pull alongside the cab do it again. Coast for a few seconds, resume. I don't even have to wait for them do it, I've memorized the delay so I just run the program and try not to facepalm when they conform to expectation.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Left-lane banditry should be punishable with hard labour.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

Left-lane banditry should be punishable with hard labour.

In the interest of keeping the forum internationally friendly, can we use passing lane or exit lane for clarity?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wasabi the J posted:

In the interest of keeping the forum internationally friendly, can we use passing lane or exit lane for clarity?

Nope. You should all learn to drive like us. :colbert:

How bad is it going from a RHD manual transmission to LHD, or vise-versa? I've only ever driven LHD, and the thought of first being out and up makes my brain hurt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

How bad is it going from a RHD manual transmission to LHD, or vise-versa? I've only ever driven LHD, and the thought of first being out and up makes my brain hurt.

It's been pretty bad for a few days at a time for me. When you're thinking about it it's not bad at all. When you stop thinking about it and muscle memory takes over you start punching the door with your right hand when going for the shifter. Then you think about it again for a while.

Then if you're driving somewhere that one of these things came from there is getting used to making turns out of driveways onto mostly unoccupied country roads and remembering to end up in the proper lane. For some reason the right turns are the ones that always get me.

Then after a few days everything is fine.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrYenko posted:

It made no difference to me, I was set as soon as I got out of the lot. I did however go to the wrong door a time or two. It may be because my normal stick shift is a '72 IH Pickup, which was so drastically different inside than the Toyota Auris rental in Ireland.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Owned a LHD car once, had no issues whatsoever and suddenly the indicator stalk being on the wrong side made sense. Also had it's benefits driving a car that was 'wrong' for the roads, like being able to keep left as much as possible, difficult driveways/building entrances being really easy, parallel parking was a doddle.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

MrYenko posted:

Pedals are the same, transmission layout is the same, so not too big of a deal. From when I've driven my buddy's RHD WRX I just had issues with staying in my lane the first time I drove it; I'd subconciously think that I was too far right and veer into the other lane a little bit

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

MrYenko posted:

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors. They were a killer for me. I kept looking into the A pillar for the first two days.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Whenever I've hired in mainland Europe I found it takes a day to adjust, but after then my spatial awareness is still a bit messed up to preclude really going balls on (or as balls out as you can in a base model econobox) on sweet Italian mountain roads.

I've never driven a RHD car in a left hand country... I'm slightly concerned that having the steering wheel on the wrong side is a big part in remembering to drive on the wrong side.

Edit: I've driven cars in the UK with indicator stalk on both sides, a Mazda 6 and triumph Toledo had them on the left hand side.

stump fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 16, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Do RHD cars have the gear positions reverse, or do you shift towards yourself to shift up?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Gear positions are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

First time I drove a LHD car was a 4x4 safari on my honeymoon, Russian woman in the backseat was loving terrified because I looked 12. It was great fun.