Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shrinkage posted:

Whoa, I'm running Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at 60 FPS with the 980.
What's the difference between Übersampling and nVidia's Dynamic Super Resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
So I made the jump to the Gigabyte G1 970. Now to just wait for Amazon to get some in stock.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
The MSi sticker has pretty strong adhesive, but really isn't that difficult to take off. Just go slow and get enough of it off to where you can gently hold the fan in place while you peel the rest off slowly with your enormous sweaty goon paws.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

Update on the gigabyte 970 coil whine issue. I read about how overclocking your GPU might remove the coil whine issues might reduce/totally remove the whine so I decided to try it out and the results are good. 90% of the whine has be eliminated over a course of 2 hours of in-game time.

What I am running right now (thanks Guru3d for letting me steal this poo poo from your site yo! :wave:)

Overclocked
Core Clock 1328 MHz
Boost Clock: ~1516 MHz
Memory Clock: 8002 MHz

Afterburner shizzle instructions (which I also stole):

Temp Target 80 Degrees C
CPU clock +150 MHz
Power limiter 112%
Mem clock +500 MHz
Volatge + 87Mv
FAN RPM default

... On a CX600M PSU without a single crash :holy:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Smegma Princess X posted:

So I made the jump to the Gigabyte G1 970. Now to just wait for Amazon to get some in stock.

If you're not tied to amazon, check newegg periodically, they've gotten stock a few times in the last week. I ordered mine last Friday, I think.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've been split between the MSI gaming 970 and Gigabyte Windforce 970, but the talk of this coil whine is a bit worrying. Seems like it's utterly random and can depend on the motherboard & PSU, as well as the card.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

If you're not tied to amazon, check newegg periodically, they've gotten stock a few times in the last week. I ordered mine last Friday, I think.

I'm not dead set on Amazon, unless they can deliver my card to me via drone, which isn't happening yet. So I've got the G1 on auto-notify with newegg. If that comes in while I'm off work I'd deffo pick it up from there.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Newegg's notifier has been pretty useless for GTX 970/980 so far. Use nowinstock.net or just check back periodically.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Welmu posted:

What's the difference between Übersampling and nVidia's Dynamic Super Resolution?

No idea.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
RMA'ed my 570 last week, and today I got a mail from the retailer informing me that I'd get my money back. Pretty good, considering the 570 was three years old and cost the same then as a 970 does now. I was all set to go online and buy a 970, because I want to play games. Any advice as to which one to get? Based on what I've heard, the MSI Gaming 4G and the ASUS Strix should be good, and they're also among the few I've managed to find in-stock. Any others that are worth a look?

e: Went for the 4G after some careful consideration. Now I just have to wait 2-5 days.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 16, 2014

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Smegma Princess X posted:

I'm not dead set on Amazon, unless they can deliver my card to me via drone, which isn't happening yet. So I've got the G1 on auto-notify with newegg. If that comes in while I'm off work I'd deffo pick it up from there.

gently caress Amazon, New Egg just got the card in stock and I ordered it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Scherloch posted:

RMA'ed my 570 last week, and today I got a mail from the retailer informing me that I'd get my money back. Pretty good, considering the 570 was three years old and cost the same then as a 970 does now. I was all set to go online and buy a 970, because I want to play games. Any advice as to which one to get? Based on what I've heard, the MSI Gaming 4G and the ASUS Strix should be good, and they're also among the few I've managed to find in-stock. Any others that are worth a look?

If your case is super big, the Gigabyte models are nice. If your case is super small, the base Zotac model is nice.

What retailer was it that give you a refund, you another one of those Australians?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
do any hardware sites have a good comparison of the different brands' 970s yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AMD got the win for the Retina 5k iMac. I was really hoping for Maxwell. :(

along the way
Jan 18, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

do any hardware sites have a good comparison of the different brands' 970s yet?

Quick google search came up with this.

The MSi and Gigabyte seem to be the preferred options this time around.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AMD proves its superiority again :twisted:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=280#post436364224

Probably too late in the dev cycle to switch tracks to maxwell and make their production deadlines.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193565&CatId=7387

TigerDirect appears to have the MSI 970 Gaming 4g in stock

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does the rumor mill have any guesses on when Nvidia may release their next driver update? I'm not so much looking forward to the MFAA at this point, I just want DX9 on Stalker:COP to work without artifacting.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4396079

My Gigabyte 970.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

drat, my 7850 got like half that. No surprise there I guess. I also have a slightly lower end CPU (i5-4670k) so I might not fare quite as well but either way...that's a helluva result for a $350 card.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Is that overclocked?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
So I got 2x Gigabyte Windforce 970s, and they're driving 4k gaming beautifully. Shadow of Mordor runs great at max settings with the "6GB VRAM minimum" texture pack and has incredible amounts of visual detail. Planetside 2 drops down to 50fps now and then but that's not a big deal for me; I don't notice any tearing.

No coil whine to speak of, and they're inaudible when idle.

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
Shadow of Mordor on Ultra looks and runs great. I'm running an OC'd MSi GTX 970 at 1080P.

Is the 6GB minimum required or just recommended? Hope I'm not playing some pretendsy Ultra.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
6GB? I hear people can run it fine with 3GB.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Shrinkage posted:

Is that overclocked?

Yes:

CPU clock +130 MHz
Power limiter 112%
Mem clock +370 MHz
Voltage + 45Mv

The trick is to find a speed that doesn't throttle. I had it clocked higher but it would only reach a TDP of 80-90%. I backed off on the settings and its faster. Not sure what is up, it doesn't get above high 60s on temp. The highest TDP I can get is 102% even when the power limit is 112%.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Have they released a new NVIDIA tech demo for the 9 series cards? I always enjoyed firing those up with a new card.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

along the way posted:

Shadow of Mordor on Ultra looks and runs great. I'm running an OC'd MSi GTX 970 at 1080P.

Is the 6GB minimum required or just recommended? Hope I'm not playing some pretendsy Ultra.

Lots of people are running the ultra textures on smaller cards, they just load into system memory. It doesn't look like the game's demanding enough on that front to cause issues, you'll just see hitching occasionally. I can run the ultra textures on a 4GB card fairly comfortably.

I've got a weird issue I'm hoping someone can help with. Basically on my AMD R9 290 Deadly Premonition is behaving wonky and my video card's GPU keeps clocking down like the game isn't demanding enough of the GPU. Problem is, this makes the game's frame rate fall down to 20fps and I have no idea how to fix it. I know Nvidia has a "prefer maximum performance" setting for games that do this, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent option on my AMD card. Anyone know how to fix this?

And before someone asks, no it's not overheating, the target temp for throttling is 95C and it's nowhere near that, even in something like Crysis 3.

edit: Ugh, I found RadeonPro's "always use highest performance clocks while gaming" option but the frame rate still gradually goes down 20fps, and even under (I just quite once it got to 17fps). Curiously, the on screen display says the game's using 80-100% of my GPU for a split second then 0% for seconds at a time. That can't be right. Maybe it's just wrong.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 17, 2014

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

EoRaptor posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&pagenumber=280#post436364224

Probably too late in the dev cycle to switch tracks to maxwell and make their production deadlines.

Or we can see how long Apple will hold a grudge.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm looking real hard at an Asus STRIX GTX 970 (when they're back in stock). I wonder how much of a step up it'll be from my current R9-270X.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Yes:

CPU clock +130 MHz
Power limiter 112%
Mem clock +370 MHz
Voltage + 45Mv

The trick is to find a speed that doesn't throttle. I had it clocked higher but it would only reach a TDP of 80-90%. I backed off on the settings and its faster. Not sure what is up, it doesn't get above high 60s on temp. The highest TDP I can get is 102% even when the power limit is 112%.

That's still pretty impressive.

This is my GTX980 result:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2998250

Mine is running at 1419Mhz cpu boost clock/3750Mhz Mem clock/125% power limited.

Granted my cpu is worse than yours, but my graphics score is only around 13% higher than yours.

What are you getting for Unigine Valley?

Shrinkage fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 17, 2014

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

cat doter posted:

Lots of people are running the ultra textures on smaller cards, they just load into system memory. It doesn't look like the game's demanding enough on that front to cause issues, you'll just see hitching occasionally. I can run the ultra textures on a 4GB card fairly comfortably.

I've got a weird issue I'm hoping someone can help with. Basically on my AMD R9 290 Deadly Premonition is behaving wonky and my video card's GPU keeps clocking down like the game isn't demanding enough of the GPU. Problem is, this makes the game's frame rate fall down to 20fps and I have no idea how to fix it. I know Nvidia has a "prefer maximum performance" setting for games that do this, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent option on my AMD card. Anyone know how to fix this?

And before someone asks, no it's not overheating, the target temp for throttling is 95C and it's nowhere near that, even in something like Crysis 3.

edit: Ugh, I found RadeonPro's "always use highest performance clocks while gaming" option but the frame rate still gradually goes down 20fps, and even under (I just quite once it got to 17fps). Curiously, the on screen display says the game's using 80-100% of my GPU for a split second then 0% for seconds at a time. That can't be right. Maybe it's just wrong.

Deadly Premonition is just a weirdly (read: poorly) coded port from my experience. It ran weird on my gtx 460, hd 7850, and hd 7870. I can only assume it will run poorly on whatever I get next :)

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

floor is lava posted:

Bought a EVGA 970 sc with the 1.0 fans and no backplate. Heard there was also trouble with coin whine. EVGA is giving out free backplates for the cards though. Crossing my fingers I won't be hosed to hard. Should be a solid upgrade from my 570 and hopefully help with vr sickness due to low framerates.

Edit: Forgot the EVGA backplate link: http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

Working perfectly fine. Nice and quiet. Haven't bothered updating the firmware yet either. Stuff renders much more smoothly now on my rift dk2 and everything I've tried in pcsx2 works without chugging.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Captain Yossarian posted:

Deadly Premonition is just a weirdly (read: poorly) coded port from my experience. It ran weird on my gtx 460, hd 7850, and hd 7870. I can only assume it will run poorly on whatever I get next :)

The annoying part is that how it runs makes no sense. What would cause a game's frame rate to fall gradually like that? Why doesn't it use any of my system's resources? Why does it only use 1 CPU core? Why does it run like poo poo even when I've forced my video card's core to stay at 950mhz? I know that can all be answered with "bad port" but I'd at least prefer it to be because its just poorly optimised rather like...negatively optimised. Instead of using too much system resources it just doesn't use any.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Did shadowplay break for anyone else recently? It doesn't record sounds properly for me anymore and if it does it eventually cuts out. No microphone audio either.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

My sapphire 7950 reference is running hot as poo poo. I'm getting a 980 in as soon as it gets back in stock, but in the meantime, since it just keeps running hotter and hotter (went from mid 60's to 80's under normal 1080p gaming with no OC). Should I RMA it as it's still under warranty or crack the fucker open and repaste it?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Amazon updated its listing for the MSI GTX 980 Gaming for delivery within 4-6 weeks.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
wrong thread!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Eddain posted:

Amazon updated its listing for the MSI GTX 980 Gaming for delivery within 4-6 weeks.

:laffo::laffo: That's the same lead time as an Oculus DK2, which is being produced in tiny custom batches. WTF is going on over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I just ran a VRAM test on my MSI that's been having driver crash issues.

I stopped counting at something around 55,000 memory errors.