Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DannyTanner posted:

The Line Gun is great for clearing hallways full of poo poo.

The Line Gun is the Plasma Cutter's big brother and I love it :allears:. The Flamethrower is also good for dealing with those little blobs the Pregnants can drop if you kill'em wrong. Them and the guys that break down into a crawling head and tentacles because those little fuckers hate fire. The Assault Rifle's not a great weapon, but it's worth carrying because it holds a shitload of ammo and it's useful when you need to tell an approaching horde to back off.

Quest For Glory II posted:

- Assassin's Creed Revelations: Why does Ezio look so weird.

It's called old age :corsair:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not just old age, he just looks like a different person and so does Desmond. Like the art design changed between games or something.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

- Afterfall Insanity: Let the jank begin :getin: Polish Dead Space only it's underground instead of out in space. I don't know of many Dead Space clones so I guess by default this is the best one available. I've played about 6 chapters and I intend on playing this one through cause, it plays fine, it looks okay, and the voice acting is so bad I want to hear more of it.

Of all the lovely games I've ever owned, played, or ignored

I don't know what compelled me to beat this game.

I seriously did, and I can't even recommend it. And the extra modes just upset me.

But some time between June 9th and June 11th I just made myself play through this game.

And I still don't know why :psyduck:

Orv
May 4, 2011

It's not just old age, he just looks like a different person and so does Desmond. Like the art design changed between games or something.

Engine modifications. Somewhat for the worse.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Morter posted:

I seriously did, and I can't even recommend it. And the extra modes just upset me.

But some time between June 9th and June 11th I just made myself play through this game.

I can handle jank. I've beaten Magrunner, and Soul Suspect, and Deus Ex The Fall, Arkham Blackgate HD, and (today) Xotic. Iron stomach.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morter posted:

Sometimes you encounter something so terrible that it intrigues you. It compels you to continue, despite that little voice in your head telling you to stop and go do anything else. You just gotta see how deep that rabbit hole goes and whether or not the game or movie can lower itself any worse than it already has.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

Aftefall is the the craziest game I ever played that bored the hell out of me. There are so many elements in that thing that should at least elicit a raised eyebrow but no one is the game cares at all so neither did I. I could describe so many elements that could make people go "But that sounds awesome?" to which my only reply would be "Yeah, it does. :sigh:"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I can handle jank. I've beaten Magrunner, and Soul Suspect, and Deus Ex The Fall, Arkham Blackgate HD, and (today) Xotic. Iron stomach.

Jank is one thing, and I agree with that. I love the STALKER games, hell, I even played through Darkstar One for the better part of a month. It was aggressively mediocre, but I enjoyed it.

But what I'm saying is that of something made me want to beat Afterfall Insanity, and I don't know what. I barely enjoyed it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't even that memorable save for 2-3 moments. Maybe.

Games I make myself sit down to play and beat I have to really really like. I didn't even put off the game. I feel like it was one of those weird netflix videos that you watch late at night for over 2 hours and wonder why the hell it was on your instant queue. Or something.

All I can really sum it up with is ":psyduck:"

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Morter posted:

It doesn't help that the story is so ham-fisted and obvious throughout. Other than the interaction with the first human tribe on the surface, it's so completely forgettable and mediocre.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

404notfound posted:

Ammo drops in Dead Space are biased towards what you're carrying, so it actually gets a bit easier if you only use the plasma cutter. You'll get more ammo for it, and since it's such a jack-of-all-trades weapon, you'll be relatively well stocked to deal with almost every situation the game throws at you.

Pro Dead Space tactic: Buy the Contact Beam as soon as you are able to afford it and carry it with you, but don't ever use it. Having it with you makes ammo drops for it more likely, and they sell for a LOT of spacebucks. Game the system like a pro and come out on top for your investment! (this also works in Dead Space 2 too, but not 3 because of the whole universal ammo thing)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My smell test is usually whether I enjoy a game through its first two hours. It at least passed that test. I have weird tastes though. Darksiders did not pass that test and I haven't touched it since. Same with Mass Effect 2, or Killing Floor. I just kinda know when I am not going to come back to a game ever again.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
OR you can sell all your weapons and use the flamethrower like a real man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

It doesn't help that the story is so ham-fisted and obvious throughout. Other than the interaction with the first human tribe on the surface, it's so completely forgettable and mediocre.

Ah yes, the human tribe of cannibals(?) that live in the fake movie set city (an entire city) complete with building facades, a fake day/night cycle, weather machines, and a demolition system rigged to destroy all the skyscrapers in the city.

Did that sound interesting or at least loving crazy? It wasn't.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dude, spoilers! :ohdear:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

They're only spoilers for the halfway point twist. It's not like he mentioned the sunlight ghosts or rainbow golem.

I'd say Afterfall is worth playing just to hear the AMAZING monologue when your dude discovers the model.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

il serpente cosmico posted:

Should I bother buying any additional weapons in Dead Space? I'm through chapter 5 and I've upgraded the default one's damage all the way and it's served me well. The only thing it isn't great for is crowd control. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with way more nodes and credits than I know what to do with--is there anything else that would make my life any easier? I've also been upgrading my suit whenever I gain access to a new one, and my HP is fully upgraded.

It's supposed to look a little better (higher res textures), but more importantly it's supposed to actually work. I am going to grab it when it goes on sale.

BIG IMPORTANT WARNING:

You need the default weapon - and a LOT of ammo for it - for certain segments near the end.

I'm not doubting it's possible to use other weapons for those segments, but they're plenty difficult with the default weapon.

EDIT: I used only one of the non-default weapons and then suddenly ran across these segments and had no weapon capable of properly handling 'em and it really made playing the game unpleasant.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NeoSeeker posted:

OR you can sell all your weapons and use the flamethrower like a real man.
Is that what it was? I thought it was a joke.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

A killing joke.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Scalding Coffee posted:

The only way to kill it is with fire.

Orv posted:

A killing joke.

...With fire

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

- Assassin's Creed Revelations: Why does Ezio look so weird. He and Desmond look like completely different people. Did they change character designers or something?

It's really silly of me but coming straight from the previous games this stopped me from actually playing beyond the first minute of the game but I was like "who am i?!!". Yeah, the Revelations-Desmond looks like a potato. It took me like 2 years to stop caring and play the game. All in all, it's pretty good.

The TD sucks but if you keep the attention level from reaching the top level you don't have to play it more than one time.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 20, 2014

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

- Assassin's Creed Revelations: Why does Ezio look so weird. He and Desmond look like completely different people. Did they change character designers or something? The gameplay seems okay but I still much prefer ACIV's controls. There's dumb tower defense segments for no reason. Get that poo poo outta here, I'll play Defender's Quest if I want TD.

I defend Ezio's 50yo+ looks, but yeah, the Desmond appearance for this one is weird. The developers say it's because Ezio's experiences are bleeding into Desmond so much that it's changing his perception of himself, which is just a really loving weird design decision because he looks normal again at the end of the game... and then they somehow gently caress his looks to be a bit stranger again in AC3.

And yeah, the Tower Defense stuff wasn't received well. You can ignore it 99% of the time- the only time the game forces you to do it is when you want to assign a master assassin to a specific tower. At that point, you have to defend the tower and either regain control of it once again, or lose the TD fight and capture it through normal gameplay (killing the templar captain, igniting the spire).

ACIV definitely is the best in terms of control, but Revelations does have some neat little additions with the Hook Blade and Bombs. Bombs and the crossbow can completely break the game, which isn't really necessary unless you're fighting a loving Janissary. gently caress those guys.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you really like Dead Space, it's worth doing a run through it with only the plasma cutter just so you can see how much of a god of death Isaac becomes with it on any difficulty level. You don't even need to buy ammo for it if you pick your shots because it's all over the place. The game is MEANT for you to buy different weapons and spread out your upgrades to keep things tough, fair, and fun, but if you game the system by specializing in only one weapon the game just doesn't know what to do about it difficulty tweak-wise. Dead Space 2 takes this even further by making the plasma cutter only run a challenge achievement just to get people to go for it.

edit: The final upgrade for the plasma cutter in Dead Space 2 gives it flame shots that ignite enemy body parts and burn them right off so you barely even need to aim for the limbs anymore. That should speak volumes about just how good of a weapon it is.

vvv Absolutely. Turning off all the non-diegetic noise in the games (music first and foremost) makes it infinitely creepier because you get to hear just how many terrifying background noises there are that are usually overshadowed by the plucking violin strings.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 20, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Dead Space series is one of my favorites and you should always have the contact beam.

DS3's customized weapon system so good yes oh my god

Fun tip turn the music all the way down in Dead Space 1 it's fun and cool

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/app/318220/
http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/enforcer/

It looks like Police Force 2: AMERICA :black101:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They change his look one more time for AC3. It's ridiculous because why? To be fair other members of the team look different too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Is it wrong that I want this just because of how lovely it looks? I guess I'll wait for reviews and find out if it's the good or bad kind of lovely.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Testekill posted:

Is it wrong that I want this just because of how lovely it looks? I guess I'll wait for reviews and find out if it's the good or bad kind of lovely.
In one of the Steam trailers, the player kicks down the door and immediately gets shot in the face.

From theSteam page:

quote:

While on duty you’ll need to remain ever vigilant and question any suspicious behaviour to protect your small American town from a rising criminal threat. Off duty you’ll need to visit friends, family and live life to its fullest. Your actions while at work and home affect your stress levels. If you spend too much time fighting crime, you will be under severe pressure that will affect your ability to uphold the law.

You’ll need to question witnesses, administer breathalyser tests, block off roads for city events, site mobile speed cameras and pursue fleeing criminals on foot and in one of the specially designed police vehicles.

Features
If you perform above expectations you’ll earn promotions that will enable you to take on more dangerous missions and loosen the drug lords’ grip on Mountain Valley
Career mode with optional permanent death mode
Fight crime while on duty and manage your social life off duty
Seasonal city events
Investigate erratic behaviour of citizens of Mountain Valley by frisking, performing breathalyser tests and requesting a suspect’s possible location
Site traffic cones and speed cameras
Own a house and decorate it by purchasing furniture
Three police squad vehicles to drive while on duty
:black101:
Too bad I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the regular boring dull Excalibur Publishing jank and not the cool kind.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Grimace posted:

And yeah, the Tower Defense stuff wasn't received well. You can ignore it 99% of the time- the only time the game forces you to do it is when you want to assign a master assassin to a specific tower. At that point, you have to defend the tower and either regain control of it once again, or lose the TD fight and capture it through normal gameplay (killing the templar captain, igniting the spire).
You don't even need to do that, tower defense only triggers if you reach max notoriety and continue drawing attention to yourself. If you ever hit max notoriety, just don't do anything until you bring it back down and you'll never have to do anything with the tower defense beyond the tutorial.

The other piece of advice I always give with Revelations: You can make new bombs from the radial menu. The only time you have to use a crafting station is if you want to change what type you're using.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Croccers posted:

From theSteam page:

:black101:
Too bad I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the regular boring dull Excalibur Publishing jank and not the cool kind.
I'm so disappointed that's not Cite traffic cones

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm so disappointed that's not Cite traffic cones
Incite traffic cons

Have there been any police (or any other public service) sims similar to Fuzz in Saints Row 2?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So apparently Paranautical Activity comes out of early access and is getting a full release. Please don't buy Paranautical Activity.

This is something that the dev said on the steam forum

quote:

You should rate PA reviews (and write your own!)
As some of you may have noticed, ALL the PA reviews that show up on the store page are negative, despite almost all of the reviews we have being positive. This is a leftover from when there was a bit of friction in the community and reddit decided they hated us for a day.

I wouldn't mind so much if they were people that just hated the game, but it's pretty much exclusively people just saying "gently caress THE DEVS" (which isn't totally unjustified, but sucks for us and unhelpful for buyers)

It would be immensely helpful if some of you would take the time to rate down flame reviews, and rate up some legitimate ones (positive or negative), and maybe write a review of your own.

I feel like a real piece of poo poo coming on here and basically begging for reviews, but it's just eating me up inside knowing that our reviews section is just totally useless

This is in regards to them saying that their next update would be the final one despite not adding in co-op support (which they had been advertising and using as a selling point long after they knew it wasn't feasible), not having added in occulus rift support (which they are contractucally obligated to add since that was part of their successful kickstarter/Indie Go Go) and being gigantic shitheads about the whole thing and being open about cutting and running. So he's saying "we don't want this bad publicity, you guys who bought our game do something about this" and them just doing it because people on the steam forums are loving morons for the most part.

Also, don't buy it because it's voxel based garbage that has already been obsoleted by Tower of Guns which is a genuinely good game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm not into dudes but AC: Revelations Ezio is actually crazy attractive and tbh one of the main reasons I'm suffering through it coming from Black Flag.

Like seriously. Crazy, crazy attractive italian dude. Just wish he didn't speak in cutscenes. Or at all, for that matter.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Testekill posted:

Australian cultural references from Americans.

Wasn't it written and developed by Aussies?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

I can't properly describe the happy dance I did when IHNMAIMS got re-released on Steam a few months ago. As a young lad the demo of this bleak, creepy adventure game had haunted me, but never did I save enough allowance to buy the full game before it disappeared into the ether. Now, at last, I can revisit it and experience the horror for myself... and discover it's not all that horrifying.

Well, the premise is horrifying at least. The mad supercomputer AM has obliterated humanity, preserving only five individuals to torture for more than a hundred years. Now AM wants to play a special game with them, one that could result in their freedom, if they can overcome their fears and regrets. Each of the characters has some dark secret that AM has used to torture them; one was a Nazi doctor, another had his wife committed, and so on. You chose which scenario to play through, and if you die (yes, you can die in this adventure game, but it's only a temporary setback) you get to choose again. The gameplay is what you'd expect of an adventure game, though my impression is that this one is lighter on the item collecting and combining and more on interacting with the scenery and other characters. It can be a bit of a pixel hunt at times, and some of the puzzles are a little obtuse owing to the nightmarish nature of the scenarios AM concocts.

What really got me was the voice acting. I didn't even recall the game being voice acted when I was a child, and honestly the game is probably better served without it. The godlike supercomputer taunts his victims like a stuffy DOTA player ridiculing his team. The one woman of the group talks in some seriously dated 90s forced ebonics that gets pretty cringeworthy at times. The writing itself generally holds up, but there are occasional tonal shifts where a character tries to make a funny in the midst of confronting their horrors. Sadly, this one isn't quite as atmospheric and creepy as I had remembered, but so far it's a solid enough adventure game. And the world always needs more unique adventure games.

16. Closure

Mmm, indie platformers. LIMBO wasn't the first, but it sure did spark a deluge of similar titles. Closure does a little more with its monochromatic precept and ends up a pretty unique experience, if a little thin on substance. The idea is that nothing actually exists in the darkness between light sources. There may be a bridge right in front of you, but if there's no light on it, it doesn't exist. Most of the time you'll be juggling hand-held light sources and keys, though you'll encounter other forms of illumination like glowing boxes and spotlights. This makes for all sorts of creative puzzles like warping through floors and creating your own staircases. Rooms are fairly simple (at least early on) and provide ample opportunity to get the hang of the mechanics. Respawning if you fall out of the universe is instant, and there's a button to instantly reset if you render a puzzle unsolvable.

The aesthetic is sharp and intriguing, which makes the fact there's absolutely no story even more of a shame. You'll explore rooms of immense machinery and towering pipes as all manner of odd-headed, multi-limbed creatures, but never will you have any idea why or how. It's a bit of a waste, really, leaving you with just gameplay and style to hold your interest. I also found the music didn't quite fit the feel of the game either, though I can't really put my finger on why. Closure definitely isn't a spooky game, but the mysterious look and solid puzzles make it worth at least a little of your time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Dark One posted:

Wasn't it written and developed by Aussies?

Anthony Burch was still a writer. And it's Australian humour that is put through an American filter for non-Australian tastes.
Think of it like Fosters beer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm not into dudes but AC: Revelations Ezio is actually crazy attractive and tbh one of the main reasons I'm suffering through it coming from Black Flag.
AC: Revelations is a good game though, I would understand if you were suffering through AC3 because of being crazy about Connor or something but Rev is a worthy sequel to Bro.

Honestly I even missed some of those bombs in Blackflag, not all mind you because bomb crafting was way too complicated and unnecessary but they could have left like 3 types of different purpose ones in the series.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Zombie Samurai posted:

15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

What really got me was the voice acting. I didn't even recall the game being voice acted when I was a child, and honestly the game is probably better served without it. The godlike supercomputer taunts his victims like a stuffy DOTA player ridiculing his team.

The worst part about this is that the voice actor for AM is Harlan Ellison himself, the writer of the original short story - and yeah, he's pretty terrible :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Testekill posted:

So he's saying "we don't want this bad publicity, you guys who bought our game do something about this" and them just doing it because people on the steam forums are loving morons for the most part.
Also you need to have played the game (ie: have bought it) to leave a review and it shows how long you've played it on the review, so you can easily verify that it's not because reddit bombed the game page for a day on a lark.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Also you need to have played the game (ie: have bought it) to leave a review and it shows how long you've played it on the review, so you can easily verify that it's not because reddit bombed the game page for a day on a lark.

It's all just refusing to take criticism for making promises that they never intended to keep (once more they knew that multiplayer wouldn't be possible to be implemented in November of 2013, they were advertising that co-op would be coming until May this year until they revealed that they were done with development of the game) and then their developers were such shithead divas on the forums and on twitter that it burnt a lot of good will that they might have gotten if they'd just been honest about it.

EDIT: Holy poo poo wow, one of the devs even left a positive recommendation on their store page.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spooderw/recommended/250580/

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Palpek posted:

AC: Revelations is a good game though, I would understand if you were suffering through AC3 because of being crazy about Connor or something but Rev is a worthy sequel to Bro.

Honestly I even missed some of those bombs in Blackflag, not all mind you because bomb crafting was way too complicated and unnecessary but they could have left like 3 types of different purpose ones in the series.

It's fine, but the opening was a slog and there's something about the game that just feels ~last gen~ to me in a way that Black Flag and even assassin's creed 3 do not.

Dunno why I feel this now when I didn't playing assassin's creed 2 on the xbox when it came out, but I'm shallow in that way.

• Locked thread