Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL55W800B-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN6K

I'm having a real hard time not pulling the trigger on this--even looking at the stats on Sony's website I can't find any significant differences between this model and the 850B, except this one is cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL55W800B-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN6K

I'm having a real hard time not pulling the trigger on this--even looking at the stats on Sony's website I can't find any significant differences between this model and the 850B, except this one is cheaper.

The 800b is 50 and 55", the 850b is 60 and 70'. The 850b also has standard wall mounting and better sound.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanks! I'm ok with the mounting size because I've found an articulating mount that should work with that spacing, and I will be using a receiver and external speakers anyway.

Actually, since sparticus mentioned it, I could save 100 bucks and get a 55" 700B and I wouldn't even miss the 3d.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BraveUlysses posted:

Thanks! I'm ok with the mounting size because I've found an articulating mount that should work with that spacing, and I will be using a receiver and external speakers anyway.

Actually, since sparticus mentioned it, I could save 100 bucks and get a 55" 700B and I wouldn't even miss the 3d.

On the 800b you have to buy a vesa adapter. You cant mount directly to the tv.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm about to go return the w950b and get the 800 or 700. I will report back once everything is settled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the general consensus on 1080p upres'd to 4K? Is it going to look as comical as SD was when upres'd to HD?

I'm looking at replacing my 8+ year old Westinghouse (lol) HDTV and I figured if I'm going to spend the cash I may as well just go 4K at this point, unless we're expecting the price to start plummeting in the next 6 months. Anyway, all the demo units in stores are always running pristine 4K source material and all the sales people are "no it's going to look AMAZING" which is what I'd say too if I was trying to push a $2k+ TV

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Martytoof posted:

What's the general consensus on 1080p upres'd to 4K? Is it going to look as comical as SD was when upres'd to HD?

I'm looking at replacing my 8+ year old Westinghouse (lol) HDTV and I figured if I'm going to spend the cash I may as well just go 4K at this point, unless we're expecting the price to start plummeting in the next 6 months. Anyway, all the demo units in stores are always running pristine 4K source material and all the sales people are "no it's going to look AMAZING" which is what I'd say too if I was trying to push a $2k+ TV

You're in Canada, right? Unless you buy a TV every 15 years like some sort of normal person, don't bother with 4K. Actually just don't bother with 4K, period.

Even if it's available in the US like five years from now, we're probably 10 years out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There is 4k content right now. Netflix, YouTube, amazon soon, and there is a uhd only TV app coming out by the end of the year. There should ask be 4k BluRay next year

That being said, buy a 8500 plasma

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, a lot of the 4k content is '4k' content. There's a ton of upscaling going on in a lot of places.

SO MUCH STUFF was done and continues to be done with a 2k digital intermediate from the '00s to now that there's going to be a huge swath of content that will never be true 4k unless they basically go back and redo the movies.

That's one of the reasons why I had a laugh when Sony was triumphing their "4k digital projection!" when the first spiderman trilogy came out. None of those movies had a higher than 2k DI, 4k projection was utterly pointless on them outside of reducing screen door effect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Honestly, I'm more interested in 4K when companies like Dish and etc start broadcasting 4k channels.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

There is 4k content right now. Netflix, YouTube, amazon soon, and there is a uhd only TV app coming out by the end of the year. There should ask be 4k BluRay next year

That being said, buy a 8500 plasma

...for Americans. We don't even have Amazon video at all yet. Or Hulu. Or 90% of Netflix.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. All fair points. I mostly watch sports and netflix so I'm not married to the idea of 4K, but at the same time it HAS been like 8-10 years since I updated my TV last so I thought future proofing would be an okay idea.

The 8500 plasma looks like a hell of a thing though. Guess I have some decision making to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Honestly, I'm more interested in 4K when companies like Dish and etc start broadcasting 4k channels.

It's all going to be bit starved no matter what. I would much rather them stick to 1080p with h265 at the same bitrate that they would have used for 4k.

Broadcast quality is such an utter and complete crapshoot that they would have a much larger apparent quality change by just, you know, monitoring their output and not compressing the poo poo out of everything with MPEG2 than any resolution shift.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's all going to be bit starved no matter what. I would much rather them stick to 1080p with h265 at the same bitrate that they would have used for 4k.

Broadcast quality is such an utter and complete crapshoot that they would have a much larger apparent quality change by just, you know, monitoring their output and not compressing the poo poo out of everything with MPEG2 than any resolution shift.

Dish and DirecTV both use mpeg 4 now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah most HDTV channels on Dish look pretty excellent. Even sounds good with a 5.1 setup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Dish and DirecTV both use mpeg 4 now.

They may for their retransmission, but a lot of distribution is still done in MPEG2.

I have FIOS which still passes the vast majority of channels untouched to the subscriber, but broadcast quality is still utter and complete junk compared to blu-ray.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 25, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I couldn't even get DirectTV to work regularly the one time I lived in a house and was allowed to put one up because there's so much thick cloud cover here all the god drat time. Here's a cam shot pointed at my area right now

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

I couldn't even get DirectTV to work regularly the one time I lived in a house and was allowed to put one up because there's so much thick cloud cover here all the god drat time. Here's a cam shot pointed at my area right now

Clouds shouldn't really bother it too much. Probably just poor aiming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hilarious. I just saw a commercial for Vizo's P series 4k TVs talking about the high resolution showing clips from How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Take a quick jump over to IMDB and check technical specs.

quote:

Cinematographic Process: Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)

...oh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's still an improvement, A/V nerds.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don Lapre posted:

Clouds shouldn't really bother it too much. Probably just poor aiming.

They have to aim it at a pretty weird angle in west coast Canada since the satellites are all above the US northeast coast apparently.

It did work better in the summer when it isn't horrible here though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ohh well yea, there's your problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sparticus posted:

I'm about to go return the w950b and get the 800 or 700. I will report back once everything is settled.

Bought the 700, couldn't fit it in my shitbox so I'm having it delivered next week.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
More TVs should come with their own stands these days

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-27HS420-27-Inch-Trinitron-HD-Ready/dp/B0002S9G0K

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Stands are for chumps and apartment dwellers.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

This Samsung PN64F8500 is loving phenomenal. What a huge upgrade over my older LG set. I can actually watch TV with the lights on now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is burnin still a thing with these plasmas or do they all have some kind of anti-residual technology now?

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Is burnin still a thing with these plasmas or do they all have some kind of anti-residual technology now?

My LG60PK550 from 2010/2011 had all kinds of crazy image retention issues. I haven't noticed anything like that with the 8500 yet, and there have already been situations that would have caused some on the LG. I do notice the directional buzzing, but it's a non issue once you get some audio going.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

The super nice premium Panasonics that disappeared last year have pretty bad IR/burnin problems it seems from avsforums. Samsungs seem pretty resilient to it though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Samsung from 2008 has zero burnin problems and it's a heavy use primary tv.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm using an LG 32LC42. The overscan or cropping with 1080p is really bad. I can't do anything about it in the normal menu. In the hidden service menu (hold both menu buttons for 10 seconds) there is an overscan option which does jack poo poo. I'd mess with more options but I really don't understand what they are. Any ideas?

E: Power cycling the TV applies those secret settings.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 26, 2014

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Just bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ID2HI8O?cache=7033a4d5c7b82ba717b38d68bbd842cf&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1414294940&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Streamed a few shows in 4k. The difference is definitely noticeable, but it's no SD to HD improvement.

So far watched a few movies, TV shows, and some of the world series and everything looks great. Would definitely recommend it as a great TV if you're not looking to spend $4k on an OLED.

Axelay
May 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung 55HU7500 and gaming? On the early reviews it seems to have a input lag around 60-70 ms, but some places mention a drop to around 40 ms on a firmware update on the 48". I can't seem to find anything about the 55" though, and no patch notes from Samsung. It's not primarily for gaming and 4K is not a must, but I would really avoid high lag. I'm also open for other sets in the same pricerange. Any advice?

Axelay fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 26, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Input lag is a highly overrated topic from my experience. I have a Samsung H7150 which is supposed to be mediocre but I can still do this in Destiny (I'm leidend)

edit: vvv yeah I mean it isn't really an issue with modern TVs. Older TVs will be worse.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 26, 2014

Axelay
May 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Based on this, the H7150 is far from the worst (40 ms). My current TV, a lovely Philips, gives about 130 ms without being in game mode which made games like Rayman Origins almost unplayable. In game mode the lag is not noticable, but the colors are really bland. If the 55" is close to 40 ms now, I'm buying it. Nice K/D (not saying you got it because of low lag) ;)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Destiny is floaty, weak Halo gameplay so it's not the best example.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

BraveUlysses posted:

Bought the 700, couldn't fit it in my shitbox so I'm having it delivered next week.

I picked mine up today. Holy poo poo! How is the w950b the top 1080 tv in their lineup? This panel is so much better. Contrast is amazing and it is thin as hell. My only negative is the included power supply. That should be built into the tv and not be a power brick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is this the thread to ask for a recommendation for a new TV?

Our current TV is a 42" HP (yes, no poo poo, HP -- I didn't even know they MADE plasmas until my groomsmen surprised me with it as a wedding gift) plasma from 2007; it's now experiencing considerable snow on the left third of the screen. It doesn't completely destroy the image or anything, but it's a near-constant flickering. So, we're looking to upgrade / replace. Definitely not tied to plasma or anything like that.

- Our budget is <$1000
- Main use is Blu-ray, games and sports (I don't really care if Jack McCoy's pores on TNT reruns of Law & Order are visible down to the micron)

Don't really care about how thin it is or the power usage, but I don't want to go smaller than 42" and I'd like to get around the 46 - 48" end.

Any help is incredibly appreciated, as every time we go to Target, Best Buy and even the lone remaining local store, it's just a shitstorm of WTF.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Timby posted:

Is this the thread to ask for a recommendation for a new TV?

Our current TV is a 42" HP (yes, no poo poo, HP -- I didn't even know they MADE plasmas until my groomsmen surprised me with it as a wedding gift) plasma from 2007; it's now experiencing considerable snow on the left third of the screen. It doesn't completely destroy the image or anything, but it's a near-constant flickering. So, we're looking to upgrade / replace. Definitely not tied to plasma or anything like that.

- Our budget is <$1000
- Main use is Blu-ray, games and sports (I don't really care if Jack McCoy's pores on TNT reruns of Law & Order are visible down to the micron)

Don't really care about how thin it is or the power usage, but I don't want to go smaller than 42" and I'd like to get around the 46 - 48" end.

Any help is incredibly appreciated, as every time we go to Target, Best Buy and even the lone remaining local store, it's just a shitstorm of WTF.

The 60" f5300 plasma would be a great replacement in your price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sparticus posted:

I picked mine up today. Holy poo poo! How is the w950b the top 1080 tv in their lineup? This panel is so much better. Contrast is amazing and it is thin as hell. My only negative is the included power supply. That should be built into the tv and not be a power brick.

Sony changed the panel for the 950s this year or something.