Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I'm about to play Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time but I'm going to install the Zone Reclamation mod. From looking at the file size it doesn't seem like this mod updates the textures like the (obsolete) Complete 2009. Would you guys recommend any texture packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I'm about to play Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time but I'm going to install the Zone Reclamation mod. From looking at the file size it doesn't seem like this mod updates the textures like the (obsolete) Complete 2009. Would you guys recommend any texture packs?

Argus textures look pretty good. I'm not sure if atmosfear comes with its own but you may want to look into that as well

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Atmosfear isn't officially released for SoC as far as I can tell.

You can pretty much just copy all the textures over from Complete apart from the weapons (may cause problems) and ui (definitely will)

https://mega.co.nz/#F!zEtSxC4J!eRsovn-n098UpRtLDmr5_w

Check out the Shadow of Chernobyl eye candy folder. Has Argus' texture packs, SWO, and a few others.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, so I'm getting back into STALKER for real this time. Aiming to actually complete the games instead of futzing about for 12 hours and then forgetting to play them.

In terms of mods, along with the obvious bug fixes and polishing, I'm looking for some specific things for both Clear Sky and Shadow of Chernobyl:

* A return of the A-Life system.

* Less bullet spongey enemies and better weapon accuracy. Like I'd want to actually put the iron sights of a Makarov on a guy at 30 yards and expect the bullet to at least hit somewhere on his body, and not have to put four or five rounds into a regular bandit or Loner with a leather jacket to drop them. At the same time, I don't want the extremely difficult fights you get from stuff like Zone of Alienation.

* A lot of variety with guns. So stuff like 7.62x39mm AKs (and different permutations of AK), battle rifles like the G3 and FAL, revolvers, 7.62x25mm weapons, etc. I liked the weapons in Zone of Alienation but the magazine system felt clunky and difficult to get to do exactly what you're trying to do.

* Optionally some random immersion stuff, like cooking stuff at fires.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 25, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, so I'm getting back into STALKER for real this time. Aiming to actually complete the games instead of futzing about for 12 hours and then forgetting to play them.

In terms of mods, along with the obvious bug fixes and polishing, I'm looking for some specific things for both Clear Sky and Shadow of Chernobyl:

* Less bullet spongey enemies and better weapon accuracy. Like I'd want to actually put the iron sights of a Makarov on a guy at 30 yards and expect the bullet to at least hit somewhere on his body, and not have to put four or five rounds into a regular bandit or Loner with a leather jacket to drop them. At the same time, I don't want the extremely difficult fights you get from stuff like Zone of Alienation.

* A lot of variety with guns. So stuff like 7.62x39mm AKs (and different permutations of AK), battle rifles like the G3 and FAL, revolvers, 7.62x25mm weapons, etc. I liked the weapons in Zone of Alienation but the magazine system felt clunky and difficult to get to do exactly what you're trying to do.

For CS this is basically what you're looking for: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky/features/aocs-features

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Will that mesh with Clear Sky Complete or will they conflict until the game explodes?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Justin Time! posted:

Uh, as a bandit, am I not allowed to enter the Depot anymore? Loners are fine with me but it seems like the people guarding the Depot are shooting me on sight.

That's because the depot is the loner home base. I don't recall meeting any bandits there.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
If you do end up clearing the Depot out there's an invincible merc who chills at the bar. I'm not sure what he does but he seems ok.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
If you take a base do you get their trader/mechanic?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Since it's been recommended a few times and I love Arsenal Overhaul for CoP I'm going to see if I can integrate Arsenal Overhaul CS into TFW

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

NeoSeeker posted:

One guy from the squad you called in becomes a repair dude and another becomes a guide. I think a map change makes proper traders set up.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

NeoSeeker posted:

You do but neither is full capacity The trader only has ammo and maybe a gun or two and the mechanic can only fix your weapons, not upgrade them.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

You should take a look at OGSE, I think it improves A-Life, makes enemies die (sometimes too fast), and has a few new guns. It's quite a nice version of SoC, though you'll want to find the script that removes the auto-turrets.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MadBimber posted:

You should take a look at OGSE, I think it improves A-Life, makes enemies die (sometimes too fast), and has a few new guns. It's quite a nice version of SoC, though you'll want to find the script that removes the auto-turrets.

Thanks, I'll give it an install!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
https://mega.co.nz/#!b5VE2aQC!9lBrgLiTDNmnms7jH57kcf0UtUlmD1oDXpyNq6KZJ_g

theres the turret fix.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm unable to launch SoC with OGSE. Whether my game is 1.0005 or a fresh install, I always get the same error:

---------------------------
XR_3DA.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?r_string@IReader@@QAEXAAV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$xalloc@D@@@std@@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe.
OK

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

NeoSeeker posted:

That's because the depot is the loner home base. I don't recall meeting any bandits there.

Aren't loners and bandits sort of cool with each other? I mean, I'm a bandit running errands for the loners who made themselves feel at home in the factory lobby, and they seem cool with me. So far the only loners who have turned hostile on me are the folks at the Depot, and even then, not all of them until I start shooting back. It looks like it should be a neutral zone though, even the military hangs out there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ddraig posted:

I wouldn't recommend my Misery addon. It's got a few crashes that I can't force myself to fix because, ironically, working on misery is one of the most depressing experiences of my life.

That's not very ironic at all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Justin Time! posted:

Aren't loners and bandits sort of cool with each other? I mean, I'm a bandit running errands for the loners who made themselves feel at home in the factory lobby, and they seem cool with me. So far the only loners who have turned hostile on me are the folks at the Depot, and even then, not all of them until I start shooting back. It looks like it should be a neutral zone though, even the military hangs out there.

TFW has two groups of loners:

Regular loners (these guys are pretty much neutral to everyone) and Defiance.

Defiance are the playable stalker faction, and they are hostile to bandits. The Depot is actually a Defiance hotspot, with a few loners there. Defiance and Loners usually exist side by side (especially in the Depot), with the Bartender there being a loner and not defiance etc.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Would it be possible to make the depot a neutral area controlled by loners? So basically if you don't piss them off you are able to use it? This isn't a very well thought out suggestion and I already suspect that it would really throw off the balance.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Since it's been recommended a few times and I love Arsenal Overhaul for CoP I'm going to see if I can integrate Arsenal Overhaul CS into TFW

This would be the perfect addition to TFW, I hope you're able to pull it off. As if I'm not hooked enough on TFW already.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

NeoSeeker posted:

Would it be possible to make the depot a neutral area controlled by loners? So basically if you don't piss them off you are able to use it? This isn't a very well thought out suggestion and I already suspect that it would really throw off the balance.

This makes the most sense, as the central area is pretty much neutral usually, sure, defiance have their area, cordon, but I think general loners should be neutral to all but military and monolith,
I was a bit disappointment at ants reaction to me deciding to hang with my bandibros, as I am green to loners and have been for ages.

Ddraig posted:

TFW has two groups of loners:

Regular loners (these guys are pretty much neutral to everyone) and Defiance.

Defiance are the playable stalker faction, and they are hostile to bandits. The Depot is actually a Defiance hotspot, with a few loners there. Defiance and Loners usually exist side by side (especially in the Depot), with the Bartender there being a loner and not defiance etc.

This is what I see, and yet running around doing jobs for the guy in depot raises my loner cred, joining bandits keeps my loner cred but makes the depot hostile, which seems counter to logic.

staberind fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 27, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The giant problem with making the depot a neutral area is the mechanic. He can mod every gun.

I think if you would have to do quests or pay triple or something it would balance it out, because the bandit mechanic mods a select few guns.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
You do need to do plenty of little missions for the dude in the train carriage, to be get regular stalkers green, the other bunch require you to do missions from the cordon base, if you run with defiance, you get to use that mechanic as well.
I have not checked with clear sky or anyone else. but if its just bandits, maybe that needs to be changed. I have no idea how to do that myself, or I would.
Of course, if joining any faction made everyone else including loners hate you, I'd understand, but I still have positive standings with them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Keep in mind that the bandits are the dickheads of the zone. All the poo poo that's trying to kill people, and they go around holding up random loners for cash and goods just because they don't have an affiliated power backing them up.

Of course the garbage loners are going to take a shot at them if they do that. It's a neutral zone. Not a "everyone come party even if you're a cold-blooded murderer/thief" zone.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically it works like this:

Loners and Defiance are two allies. Loners are the ones that don't get involved in the faction war, Defiance do.

Improving your rep with either is likely to make the others like you. Loners are neutral to all until you give them a reason not to be, Defiance are usually hostile to anyone not Defiance/Loner

The Depot is the Defiance/Loner neutral ground. The farmstead is the Defiance base.

Defiance will attack you if you're not Defiance/Loner, which may make Loners hostile to you.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm unable to launch SoC with OGSE. Whether my game is 1.0005 or a fresh install, I always get the same error:

XR_3DA.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?r_string@IReader@@QAEXAAV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$xalloc@D@@@std@@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe.
OK

Sorry nobody noticed this earlier, but could you post your crash log?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSE is built around Steam version 1.0005

Steam was recently updated to 1.0006 so the bin files OGSE installs are incompatible with the Steam version now. Verifying your steam installation should work, as it will copy over the OGSE bin files with the 1.0006 versions.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

Archonex posted:

Keep in mind that the bandits are the dickheads of the zone. All the poo poo that's trying to kill people, and they go around holding up random loners for cash and goods just because they don't have an affiliated power backing them up.

Of course the garbage loners are going to take a shot at them if they do that. It's a neutral zone. Not a "everyone come party even if you're a cold-blooded murderer/thief" zone.

Yeah, but it's hilarious to see stalkers constantly coming in and out of the bandit base and doing their shopping there, we should kick them out imo.

So, I guess Defiance is the easiest route then? You get to access the best mechanic.

And I've ran into a green stalker from the Trader faction in the military warehouses, where Freedom hangs out, idk how he became green but he let me know the SECRET locations of the PDA dude and the special weapons dude, so that's cool I guess. Also great to have a cheap resupplier of goods while I'm on a campaign to wreck Freedom.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 27, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Well, playing as a Loner (non-Defiance) is very different than playing as a faction, since as a Loner you won't be instantly at war with literally everyone else on the map.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
When I did my run as clear sky I never had a problem with the depot, but I think I might have killed all the defiance bases before I went back after starting the war. I don't think the Depot is a Defiance base, they just hang out there.

Also how is playing TFW as a loner? Do you just run around doing missions for all the groups as they kill each other and that's it? Not that there is a problem with that, it seems like the most STALKER experience.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

lol I seem to be running into a bug, trying to go from Army Warehouses to Garbage, and my Mosin Nagant turns into a Chaser 13 shotgun, reloading doesn't seem to fix it, it always turns into a chaser 13 after the transition. Unequipping the weapons seem to spawn a new chaser 13 right into my hands, with my original weapons in my inventory. The zone is a weird place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ddraig posted:

OGSE is built around Steam version 1.0005

Steam was recently updated to 1.0006 so the bin files OGSE installs are incompatible with the Steam version now. Verifying your steam installation should work, as it will copy over the OGSE bin files with the 1.0006 versions.

So do I install the game, install the mod, then verify files?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

chitoryu12 posted:

So do I install the game, install the mod, then verify files?

Yes this should work

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Archonex posted:

I realize this, but when the guys on the tower spot you and go "hey it's THAT bandit guy, he's alright" I don't see why they wouldn't let you in.

Other than no stalker isn't wearing some kind of face obscuring garb.. I dunno, it would be cool to use the depot as a bandit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ddraig posted:

Yes this should work

I tried this with a different mod collection rather than OGSE (as I already had an alternative installed) and it worked.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So merging Arsenal Overhaul with TFW is proving to be a bit trickier than I imagined. I'm trying to do it to maximize compatibility between saves as much as possible, but depending on the complexity it may require a new game start.

Given how Clear Sky/Call of Pripyat handles weapons it may also be that some weapons in TFW that already exist may not be entirely compatible.

Long story short, this is going to take a while to minimize crashes and redundancy (no extraneous textures cluttering up things etc.)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

NeoSeeker posted:

I realize this, but when the guys on the tower spot you and go "hey it's THAT bandit guy, he's alright" I don't see why they wouldn't let you in.

Other than no stalker isn't wearing some kind of face obscuring garb.. I dunno, it would be cool to use the depot as a bandit.

"Hey, it's THAT Blood, he's cool, he can come in our hood." -- said no Crip ever.

The zone is not a friendly place, and the factions are basically gangs, that will gently caress you up simply because you're not one of them. Loners are excepted because they don't have any organization that they've pledged allegiance to. The minute they do (Defiance, Bandits, whatever), they're a threat.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Leif. posted:

"Hey, it's THAT Blood, he's cool, he can come in our hood." -- said no Crip ever.

Ehhh... Just watch a documentary about it. Gangs will form semi-alliances when needed. I've actually heard of the gangs you mention doing the exact thing you describe. It's all about sects.

The aryan brotherhood isn't the best example, but it does get neo-nazis to work with other races inside prisons. This causes shitloads of internal feuds though. The brotherhood is ran sorta like a business.

But if there's a bandit who just so happens to be friendly to at least loners you'd think they'd totally be all for accommodating him especially if he's a higher up. Gangs are nowhere near as mindless as one might think. I'd reckon this is because one dude will stop at nothing to get bloodlusty in the presence of anyone who isn't even apart of the gang, while another member finds it prudent to deal with other gangs, if only in a covert way. You cannot group people together even though they are in a gang.

Although I will admit there are gangs out there who would do incredibly terrible things to their own if they ever found something like this out.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leif. posted:

The zone is not a friendly place, and the factions are basically gangs, that will gently caress you up simply because you're not one of them. Loners are excepted because they don't have any organization that they've pledged allegiance to. The minute they do (Defiance, Bandits, whatever), they're a threat.

I think it's more complex than that. Obviously Duty and Freedom gently caress each other up constantly because they have a reason for a direct rivalry, but both of them hate bandits, are neutral to Loners, and friendly to Ecologists. Even in real life, gangs' allegiances are fluid and often inconsistent within the gang itself and they can easily team up if both are threatened equally by something.

I also think that outside of game mechanics, bandits would be more complex than just generic black-jacketed raiders who rob and slaughter everyone they see. There's also criminal organizations from outside the Zone moving in to take advantage of it, or gangs who want to participate in the illegal weapons and artifact trade instead of simple mugging. Much like stalkers have a shaky relationship with the military that varies between mass hostility and careful negotiating, some bandits could be important parts of the black market that keeps the Zone thriving. It would be prudent not to shoot them on sight.