Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fatherboxx posted:

then there are the loving specials.

The brazzers parody isn't canon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jerusalem posted:

Says you.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

:siren:MID-SEASON CONTEST GIFT BREAK:siren:

Okay, I have not very much time at all to give these keys away, and I have three keys for Risk of Rain to gift so let's go person in first place (adder moray), person in last place (weird sandwich), and little_wh0re all get steam keys for Risk of Rain

pm me, add me on steam, or supply an e-mail address to claim

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Toxxupation posted:

I'll buy whoever wins this thing a copy of the Greatest Game Ever Made, metal gear rising: revengeance, on Steam

also I have a whole bunch of humble bundle codes i'll give out at litte_wh0re's discretion to other peeps who enter, those codes are:

steamworld dig
gunpoint (<-this game fuckin rules)
gone home
terraria
the swapper (<-this is a game come highly recommended from oxx and me)

oh yeah let's add:

jazzpunk

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This episode was dumb and goofy and cheesy and that's why it was great. It's good to have "fun" episodes in between the entire word being in peril again and scenes of the Doctor being emotional about A Thing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the hatred might be based on the principle Occ talked about in his Planet of the Ood review - some people expected to see Doctor Who attempt a serious(ish) mystery, and those people would be disappointed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the hatred might be based on the principle Occ talked about in his Planet of the Ood review - some people expected to see Doctor Who attempt a serious(ish) mystery, and those people would be disappointed.

That wasn't what I was expecting, and I also enjoy goofy fun episodes. I just thought this one was really badly made and acted and had terrible characters in it.

I love the charades scene however and I'd defend it to my dying day if there was actually a single person out there who didn't like it, which I'm pretty sure is impossible because it's so great. Also Donna scoffing snacks and trying to keep up with the revelations/who the killer is.

Basically Donna.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I completely understand Occ's open-armed acceptance of Doctor Who as a gloriously stupid thing to adore. I went through all the Alien movies for Halloween, and got to Alien Resurrection. This was a movie I saw once, on VHS when it came out, and wasn't fond of. So as an Alien fan on the Internet, all I've heard about the movie was that it sucked and was garbage and yadda yadda yadda.

Then I rewatched it. It's bad, yes. But it's so spectacularly idiotic and stupid and over the top that I found myself laughing both at it and with it. I mean, I can't hate a movie where Ron Perlman hangs upside-down from a ladder by his feet, shooting double pistols at a xenomorph while yelling "die motherfucker", exploding the alien's head, then flipping back up and getting scared by a spider in its web and shooting the goddamn spider web with his gun holy poo poo

Point is, Occ, I understand. Also your reminder of what's for grabs with the review guessing contest made me remember that I've had a copy of Metal Gear Rising on the shelf for months. I might get on that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

FreezingInferno posted:

Also your reminder of what's for grabs with the review guessing contest made me remember that I've had a copy of Metal Gear Rising on the shelf for months.

Get the gently caress out of this thread and don't come back until you've written a full-page report on how great MGR is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Then I rewatched it. It's bad, yes. But it's so spectacularly idiotic and stupid and over the top that I found myself laughing both at it and with it. I mean, I can't hate a movie where Ron Perlman hangs upside-down from a ladder by his feet, shooting double pistols at a xenomorph while yelling "die motherfucker", exploding the alien's head, then flipping back up and getting scared by a spider in its web and shooting the goddamn spider web with his gun holy poo poo

Alien: Resurrection has a lot of problems, but Ron Perlman sure as hell ain't one of them :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

Get the gently caress out of this thread and don't come back until you've written a full-page report on how great MGR is

can he just post a gif of mariachi raiden?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

can he just post a gif of mariachi raiden?

I thought the game was glorious until I reached the final Boss. Then I realized it was Art. :swoon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I thought the game was glorious until I reached the final Boss. Then I realized it was Art. :swoon:

The Revengeance soundtrack is the Second Coming of Sonic Adventure 2 and it makes me so happy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

The Revengeance soundtrack is the Second Coming of Sonic Adventure 2 and it makes me so happy.

And one of the songs was on the ballot for the Grammys, thus justifying our lovely taste in buttrock!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My appreciation of buttrock is entirely unironic and righteous.

If there exists a more fun song than Live and Learn, I've yet to hear it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

If there was a level in Revengeance set to City Escape it would be the world's most perfect game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

My appreciation of buttrock is entirely unironic and righteous.

If there exists a more fun song than Live and Learn, I've yet to hear it.

My appreciation of buttrock is unironic, but still funny.

Edit: Also, Knight of the Wind is better than Live and Learn. I will fight you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If there was a level in Revengeance set to City Escape it would be the world's most perfect game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2YIj8Zjq3s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You're good people, DoctorWhat :)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Pwnstar posted:

This episode was dumb and goofy and cheesy and that's why it was great. It's good to have "fun" episodes in between the entire word being in peril again and scenes of the Doctor being emotional about A Thing.

I agree, this one was a lot of fun, and I really liked it. It also avoids the "world in peril" thing Ocx have complained about- it's just a handful of people rather than a planet-threatening crisis. I haven't done a hard count, but I think there are more of those "small" episodes this season than the previous ones.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I didn't like the episode because to me at least, it was annoyingly silly rather than fun silly. The Christmas Invasion is great because it's an example of the latter, but this one missed the mark. Having said that, I would have rated it higher than F myself, but I tried to guess Occ's grade and we can see how badly that went.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jsor posted:

My appreciation of buttrock is unironic, but still funny.

Edit: Also, Knight of the Wind is better than Live and Learn. I will fight you.

You'll have to fight both of us. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Knight of thWHOAAH AAAH OOOOH!! WOOOAH AAAH OOOH OOOH OOOH!!! is indeed great, but Live and Learn has an extra spark to it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

That wasn't what I was expecting, and I also enjoy goofy fun episodes. I just thought this one was really badly made and acted and had terrible characters in it.

Yeah, same here. I like the goofy ones. I didn't want a serious mystery, I just wanted the spoof to be more accurate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

But can we get them to review it anyway. :haw:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

drat it I keep forgetting that 'stupid' can have a stack overflow and make Occ's grades wrap back around to A.

... do our points work the same way?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

DoctorWhat posted:

Knight of thWHOAAH AAAH OOOOH!! WOOOAH AAAH OOOH OOOH OOOH!!! is indeed great, but Live and Learn has an extra spark to it.

Where does His World, AKA the only good part of Sonic 2006 rank?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Where does His World, AKA the only good part of Sonic 2006 rank?

There are three versions of His World and rest assured they each have their own positions in my byzantine buttrock ranking system, or BBRS.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Sonic doesn't have nearly enough buttrock in it anymore. :(

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Dear thread,

I've given up resisting the concentrated stupid that is DW. I can accept that. I've even started repeating the 'it's fun if you turn your brain off' line.

But where I fell off the rails, where I went from snorting the stupid to mainlining it, was taking tv recommendations from you doctor who fans.

I hate Orange with a passion. My only hope is that it turns into Oz and captain janeway burns a hammer and sickle into the main character's rear end. Seriously, did they have a focus group for 'most obnoxious protagonist'?

Goons are bad.
DW fans are bad.
Combined, it's horrific.
And I'm one of you.

I only wanted to watch some primetime scifi... :smithicide:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

petrol blue posted:

I only wanted to watch some primetime scifi... :smithicide:

Well there's your problem right there chief.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
But The Guy gave me some DS9, told me all the cool kids were watching it, and, y'know, DW was the In Thing at the time, and I only watched the angels episode and the doctor dances, it's not like just two episodes of something could hurt me?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You say that but the next thing you know you're knee-deep in your second Zarbi cosplay of the month

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I woke up this morning half wrapped in tinfoil. I walk into the bathroom, and someone's written 'exterminate' across the mirror in lipstick. I don't know if it was me. I don't know if I want it to have been me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: That someone who criticizes Orange Is the New Black for being a bad show holds up Deep Space Nine as the avatar for good television.

e: wait, no, I am an idiot and read their post wrong, actually!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

:lol: That someone who criticizes Orange Is the New Black for being a bad show holds up Deep Space Nine as the avatar for good television.

You're a grump about the best "stupid fun" episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

You're a grump about the best "stupid fun" episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen.

Oh come on. There are so many "stupid fun" episodes of Doctor Who, there are definitely better! What about Partners in Crime?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I only wanted some trek to pass the time. I was bored, man, I wasn't meaning to become a trekkie or anything, I just had so much spare time, Y'know?

Sorry, didn't mean to start a trek/dw war, please believe I didn't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

petrol blue posted:

I only wanted some trek to pass the time. I was bored, man, I wasn't meaning to become a trekkie or anything, I just had so much spare time, Y'know?

Sorry, didn't mean to start a trek/dw war, please believe I didn't.

*reaches under jacket*

Hey kid. Do you want to try some Philip K. Dick novels? How about some Doctor Who audio CDs? I have a Space Alert game box in my van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Oh come on. There are so many "stupid fun" episodes of Doctor Who, there are definitely better! What about Partners in Crime?

Partners in Crime suffers because the Adipose are trying way too hard to be a merchandising meme, and most of the action sequences involve running through a bland and generic office building. If it wasn't for the re-introduction of Donna I'd consider it a C+ episode at best.

• Locked thread