Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Bholder posted:

So was the Imp zone closed or what caused this sudden increase of shitposting?

Yeah I hope we can get back to people raging about the game they just lost and posting giant stories of what went wrong where and why, I love those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
For some reason after 6ish months of not playing and 90% of my friends quitting the game, I decided to come back and try again. I'm dumb I guess.

Obviously the first thing I should do is attempt my placements.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Bholder posted:

So was the Imp zone closed or what caused this sudden increase of shitposting?

I just thought the thread was getting goonier.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mondlicht posted:

For some reason after 6ish months of not playing and 90% of my friends quitting the game, I decided to come back and try again. I'm dumb I guess.

Obviously the first thing I should do is attempt my placements.

This is clearly the right decision.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Buy a champion and play him in ranked first time during your placements, too.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I will say that I think the new matchmaking stuff is really nice, it's helpful as I'm getting warmd back up to get into games as the champ I want.

NTT posted:

Buy a champion and play him in ranked first time during your placements, too.

Also a really choice idea!!! Let's go with Azir. He is gold colored so I will be Gold in no time.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mondlicht posted:

Also a really choice idea!!! Let's go with Azir. He is gold colored so I will be Gold in no time.

You might want to consider someone with a higher skill ceiling like... yeah actually Azir is a very good choice.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Apparently my mmr is high enough for lolking to record my games.

http://www.lolking.net/replay/na/1610526708 This is probably the most definitive Azir game I've played so if you're looking for tips or tricks on how to play him, I would watch this because I ball out

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

exethan posted:

lmao you built a loving guinsoo's

Guinsoo's "#rage at your ex-girlfriend on your company twitter account ” blade is start efficient! :eyepop:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

The Mash posted:

Is this a euphemism

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Disinterested posted:

The 'Little Death' Blossom.

loooool I just saw this

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Can I just say that the worst thing about Incarnation being a community talking point is that everyone brings up XJ9 and I have to remember that that person exists.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

It's an 1984 joke you pleb

it's beautiful, thank you

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Also it's death lotus, death blossom is the elise skin.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Can anyone direct me towards YouTube or Twitch video of someone being ridiculous on Azir? I'm curious what a not awful one looks like.

Also why is it okay for the game to have champs that are hyper carries late game but it's not okay to have lane bullies?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

BigLeafyTree posted:

Can anyone direct me towards YouTube or Twitch video of someone being ridiculous on Azir? I'm curious what a not awful one looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccjpMNPH_fQ&list=UUGgbmTgF-sUJGd5B5N6VSFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lxvO6ps_hE&list=UUYX9IB_lU43EenSWKDlheUg

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

We have gotten so much more mileage out of that picture than we feasibly should have lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BigLeafyTree posted:

Also why is it okay for the game to have champs that are hyper carries late game but it's not okay to have lane bullies?

Please think of the fun to anti-fun ratio.

Also here is an Azir mirror match for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EH0QHeX3WI

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

BigLeafyTree posted:

Because NO MORE DOTA or something along those lines.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BigLeafyTree posted:

Because no one would play a late game carry if there were lane bullies, duh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BigLeafyTree posted:

Lane bullies tend to be obnoxious, boring shitheads like Renekton while late game hypercarries tend to be solo queue superstars like Vayne everyone wants to take over games with. I'm not sure either one is necessarily great, but I would rather watch/play with/play against a Vayne than a Renekton, if only because Renekton is a stupid, low effort champion, while Vayne is at least rather interesting when done well and is a relatively high skill cap champion.

The real problem is when late game hypercarries are also stupid, low effort champions that take no skill. See: Akali.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

exethan posted:

lmao you built a loving guinsoo's

You need to stop quoting people and telling them they can't build retarded things for fun and win.

There's an AP Tryndamere main (Rohammer I think?) that wins consistently in challenger solo queue. He rushes Nashor's/Lichbane and more AP from there.

I guess if you want to tryhard yolo queue you can stack a bunch of AD on Caitlyn but where's the fun in that when you can itemize for those sweet sweet AP ratios on traps and 90 caliber net?

edit: oh god i just remembered an AP Caitlyn mid in normals totally dumpstering my team's Zed (it was pretty pathetic)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I think the reasoning is that every game has an early phase, but not all of them go late.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lightning Knight posted:

The real problem is when late game hypercarries are also stupid, low effort champions that take no skill. See: Akali.

Or Tristana a couple patches ago, or Kassadin for like two years.

Also Guinsoo's may not be optimal but Azir is one of the few champions it legitimately makes some sense on.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Oh yeah, on the Renekton chat. I used to play him a lot toplane because toplaners never used to always be hypercarry/hypertank assholes like Ryze and Maokai and since it's hard to even snowball on them with teleport being so strong there's no loving point, because come teamfight time unless you are significantly ahead of the enemy toplane you're going to sort of dash into someone maybe and get a stun then promptly die doing nearly no (useful) damage.

Maokai and Ryze are probably going to get dumpstered because they are suffocatingly powerful in solo queue for how easy it is to succeed in lane (unless the enemy is good at Rumble and picks Rumble, because a good Rumble is a real bastard to lane against)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Renekton is a cool and fun character. The only stupid thing about him is riot decided to give him tanky shitlord numbers instead of ad caster numbers. He's way more fun building hydra and dashing around slicing and dicing stuff than building HP/armor brick crap.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Lane bullies tend to be obnoxious, boring shitheads like Renekton while late game hypercarries tend to be solo queue superstars like Vayne everyone wants to take over games with. I'm not sure either one is necessarily great, but I would rather watch/play with/play against a Vayne than a Renekton, if only because Renekton is a stupid, low effort champion, while Vayne is at least rather interesting when done well and is a relatively high skill cap champion.

I agree that Akali needs a mini-rework, but saying she's low effort and takes no skill is really dumb.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Talking about Akali, the only thing I hate about her is that she is an assassin whose damage with literally no items is somehow still good. There's been times where I have brutalizer vs cloth + boots and she can still ruin me. Talon/Zed/Fiora/Kat ect with those items would do absolute dog poo poo damage and rightly so. Change her bases drat

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Renekton is a cool and fun character. The only stupid thing about him is riot decided to give him tanky shitlord numbers instead of ad caster numbers. He's way more fun building hydra and dashing around slicing and dicing stuff than building HP/armor brick crap.

Do both!

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

They should turn all bruisers into AD casters, tanky champions ruin this game.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Alright, it's time for the ultimate discussion: Nashor's tooth on Azir. I think it's poo poo because the components are dead items and the opportunity cost of the ASPD vs money spent on raw AP is not worth it considering how much of his damage potential often ends up coming from Q combined with how low base attack speed, plus I think items such as Morellonomicon help more with his anemic early game.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Personally I like Renekton going from lane bully to brick shithouse in terms of progression but that's just me I guess.

brennon posted:

Alright, it's time for the ultimate discussion: Nashor's tooth on Azir. I think it's poo poo because the components are dead items and the opportunity cost of the ASPD vs money spent on raw AP is not worth it considering how much of his damage potential often ends up coming from Q combined with how low base attack speed, plus I think items such as Morellonomicon help more with his anemic early game.

It's something Bond and I discussed a bit, and I talked with Methanar too about it. Meth and Bond's theory is it's fine provided you make your soldiers count and last hit with Doran's ring. I personally like cup when he's against an AP because to get lots of harass and stuff I find myself casting a shitload. I think if you can do some combo of armguard+stinger early on against ADs that's potentially doable, but it's awkward.

Don't get tear on him for sure though, he doesn't make use of it enough. I tried like Tear > Armguard for an AD matchup and eventually got Morellonomicon and that solved a lot of mana issues and gave him a lot of AP, but felt pretty wonky.

There's also the thing about like taking CDR from runes or something and trying to not go Ionians but he attacks so loving slowly with no CDR.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 29, 2014

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Shortest Path posted:

I agree that Akali needs a mini-rework, but saying she's low effort and takes no skill is really dumb.

I suppose I was being hyperbolic, she doesn't take zero skill (unlike, say, Trist), but I would definitely rate her as one of the simplest and easiest champions to succeed on (in solo queue), because no matter how hard she gets shut down all it takes is a kill here and there and she can roll her face across the keyboard harder than almost any other assassin in the game.

Edit: Basically my problem with her isn't that she's easy, but that she's easy and you get way, way too much reward for how easy she is.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Her bases are probably too good, as Lovechops stated. If she has like, a revolver and part of a cutlass she can probably wreck your poo poo no problem, even if you have an item on her. Katarina has to build at least guise, shoes, and like, a large rod to be a serious threat. Gunblade gets built and Akali automatically can kill anyone unless she's like two items behind.

They both get bullied pretty hard before 6 but I think Akali has the easier time of it since she has a lower cooldown projectile and veil to dodge some harass when she goes to farm, and Akali comes online easier than Katarina, especially since Akali builds early sustain very quickly while also doing great damage.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Personally I like Renekton going from lane bully to brick shithouse in terms of progression but that's just me I guess.

When Renekton was popular, in Korea mostly people went Tiamat > Sunfire or Tiamat > Randuins. I think that's more or less optimal most of the time.

Otherwise people went Brutalizer or very situationally into Mundo they would get BotRK - > tank.

Of course, if you get way behind you no longer get to have fun and have to just build tank. Which is unfortunate, because unlike some champions Renekton finds it hard to be a threat to ADCs without a damage item.

-

On Azir from watching pro's cup looks to be better.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This thread has become absurdly lovely in the last few months.

The personal attacks are dumb and should stop.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Azir can be really mana efficient with good soldier placement, they're only 40 mana apiece. He runs dry quick if you're constantly E Qing people at 110 mana a pop. Some games I don't need cup at all, and others I'm burning though it like there's no tomorrow.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
God help you if you pick Katarina/Fiora/Akali/etc. into Azir. Bird won't let you CS ever.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 29, 2014

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

How Rude posted:

God help you if you pick Katarina/Fiora/Akali into Azir. Bird won't let you CS ever.

I've obliterated every Azir I've seen so far but they were probably all just awful at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Lovechop posted:

I've obliterated every Azir I've seen so far but they were probably all just awful at him

Ok, addendum: a GOOD Azir.

• Locked thread