Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

AKMoose posted:

I, too, would repress the memory of jobbing a title to Al Snow.

Who went on to represent and serve the people of "Europea" before getting beaten up by Regal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Definitely. In recent interviews he's said that he was so hosed up on drugs that whole parts of his career are just blank spots and certain title reigns he has no memory of whatsoever.

http://fightnetwork.com/news/31883:interview-perry-saturn-on-drug-addiction-benoit-and-more/

Particularly he got shot in the neck breaking up a rape and ended up on so much poo poo he disappeared for years, lost his house, and ended up living on the streets for years as a crack addict before he got cleaned up. Everyone thought he was dead until he started wrestling again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't know how hosed up you have to be that Raven ends up helping you get clean.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Didn't they find him in like Michigan working at a door factory under an assumed name or something? It was something ridiculous like that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Have the title names ("European", "United States" etc.) ever actually meant anything?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kennel posted:

Have the title names ("European", "United States" etc.) ever actually meant anything?

The only true European Champion was D'lo Brown.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kennel posted:

never. when you think about it intercontinental basically means the same thing as world.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

never. when you think about it intercontinental basically means the same thing as world.

Well I'm still waiting for the day that the aliens come down and provide some real contest to earth's claim of world championships, because world does not just mean Earth. It means world.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

No it doesn't, it just means between continents, it can be two or all of them, in this case it was two. The WWWF had a North American champion so they had a fictitious tournament in Rio which would combine that with a fictitious South American title and make something better than other groups' North American titles.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kennel posted:

At first, the Euro title was only contested in European events (the 1997 Raw where the first champ was crowned, the "One Night Only" UK PPV, not sure if there was anything else between those). This concept didn't last outside the first year, as HBK dropped it to HHH in a joke match on a regular Raw in December. From then on it was just treated as an extra midcard title, although they'd occasionally make a big deal out of it when they did do a show in Europe.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

No it doesn't, it just means between continents, it can be two or all of them, in this case it was two. The WWWF had a North American champion so they had a fictitious tournament in Rio which would combine that with a fictitious South American title and make something better than other groups' North American titles.

okay so maybe not never but now it pretty much means all continents

Minidust posted:

At first, the Euro title was only contested in European events (the 1997 Raw where the first champ was crowned, the "One Night Only" UK PPV, not sure if there was anything else between those). This concept didn't last outside the first year, as HBK dropped it to HHH in a joke match on a regular Raw in December. From then on it was just treated as an extra midcard title, although they'd occasionally make a big deal out of it when they did do a show in Europe.

i always forget the european championship even existed, it's such a weird footnote in history and it makes you wonder who thought it was a good idea

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The US title was the main title in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (and there was a number of regional US titles in the NWA) and it became the secondary title once Crockett basically took ownership of the NWA World Heavyweight title.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Another Person posted:

Well I'm still waiting for the day that the aliens come down and provide some real contest to earth's claim of world championships, because world does not just mean Earth. It means world.
Thanks to Bill Watts, Dr. Death was the last reigning champion of the entire universe.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Where's the African championship title

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWA_African_Heavyweight_Championship

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As for title locations meaning something the last time it really did was in the territorial days when the promotions had regional titles, like the Midwest title, Southeast tag titles, etc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Eastern Seaboard Championship

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cardboard Box posted:

i always forget the european championship even existed, it's such a weird footnote in history and it makes you wonder who thought it was a good idea
It really was weird, but I remember marking really hard for its introduction because it was the first new championship to appear since I started watching WWF in like 1988. All I knew in my lifetime had been WWF/IC/Tag, and in fact I had seen a title disappear when Alundra Blayze took the women's belt to Nitro.

Of course the significance of a new title would become watered down with the Light Heavyweight belt later that year, Hardcore belt the following year, and all the imported WCW belts shortly thereafter.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

The only true European Champion was D'lo Brown.

Are you implying that when you see D'lo Brown, you're looking at the real deal now?

MassRafTer posted:

But since it absorbed the European title, one could argue it now represents at least 3 continents. And all of Hardcoria.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Minidust posted:

It really was weird, but I remember marking really hard for its introduction because it was the first new championship to appear since I started watching WWF in like 1988. All I knew in my lifetime had been WWF/IC/Tag, and in fact I had seen a title disappear when Alundra Blayze took the women's belt to Nitro.

Of course the significance of a new title would become watered down with the Light Heavyweight belt later that year, Hardcore belt the following year, and all the imported WCW belts shortly thereafter.

Don't forget when Jim Cornette brought in the NWA titles

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

TV title was a belt meant to be wrestled for on TV and usually got a PPV slot, with the stipulation that it had 15 minute time limits. Even on "unsanctioned" PPVs where the (random WCW authority) washed their hands of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel like ECW actually made their TV title mean something; am I wrong?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there was a point where the ECW TV Championship would occasionally main event over their heavyweight championship.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

That point was when Rob Van Dam held it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

sticklefifer posted:

Are you implying that when you see D'lo Brown, you're looking at the real deal now?

But since it absorbed the European title, one could argue it now represents at least 3 continents. And all of Hardcoria.

I'm saying that D'lo was the only European Champion from multiple parts of Europe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

That point was when Rob Van Dam held it.

Yeah, this kinda makes a simple point. The ECW TV belt mattered because it was A) on a guy that was over, and B) he held it forever.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Could one of the three or so people who understand Japanese on here tell me what anime tears Misawa is about? Found this while looking for puro ads for my psp.tv playlist last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOt4JUQDX0

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not that I really care, but did WWE drop the Adam Rose/Bunny storyline or did I miss the dramatic conclusion?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kane randomly got irritated and beat him up. That...uh, was it. Woo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thauros posted:

Could one of the three or so people who understand Japanese on here tell me what anime tears Misawa is about? Found this while looking for puro ads for my psp.tv playlist last night.

Tweet it to @puro_yottsume, he's really good about doing quick'n'dirty translations for wrestling fans.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Kane randomly got irritated and beat him up. That...uh, was it. Woo.

But he didn't get to hit the bunny, did he?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bigass Moth posted:

Not that I really care, but did WWE drop the Adam Rose/Bunny storyline or did I miss the dramatic conclusion?

He interrupted Stephanie on the 15th anniversary Smackdown, Steph got annoyed and booked him in a match with Kane. Kane squashed him and murdered about half of the express.

I believe that was Kane's first clean victory in a good 6 months.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What are some of the BIG shows from the American independents I should go back and pick up? I have money now and wanna get caught up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BigRed0427 posted:

What are some of the BIG shows from the American independents I should go back and pick up? I have money now and wanna get caught up.

BOLA 2014, if you're going to get only one of them get Night 2, but they're all good as hell.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Memento posted:

BOLA 2014, if you're going to get only one of them get Night 2, but they're all good as hell.

Edit: Lets go back say...2 years?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Steen Wolf from 2011 is one of my favorite PWG shows, and basically everything after that is generally worth watching. Def pick up some PWG based on what matches appeal to you, it's basically all good.

ROH's Ringside Membership is cheap and you can watch a bunch of their stuff that's over a year old on demand. Almost all of their stuff post Sinclair takeover is available, with new stuff added once it becomes a year old.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 30, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Benne posted:

He interrupted Stephanie on the 15th anniversary Smackdown, Steph got annoyed and booked him in a match with Kane. Kane squashed him and murdered about half of the express.

I believe that was Kane's first clean victory in a good 6 months.

Not only that but it's the first loss Adam Rose has had in the WWE. He's been undefeated since his debut!

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Thauros posted:

From the context and what it's advertising(real estate company), he's happy to tears that he was able to secure a deal for the three customers skipping by.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Cardboard Box posted:

Wasn't the concept basically "We need to give Davey Boy a belt or Bret will get pissed off"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Angular Landbury posted:

Wasn't the concept basically "We need to give Davey Boy a belt or Bret will get pissed off"?

They then humiliated Davey when he lost the belt by having him lose it to HBK when he didn't need a belt, all because HBK pouted about losing.