Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am not overly impressed with Salary Fairy, or more importantly the 4 "peers" who have underestimated my salary by 25k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

psydude posted:

Haha, everything at work is broken. Our domain controllers are still broken, one of my new DefenseCenters apparently bricked itself last night, and our lab ESX environment just poo poo the bed. Even the vending machine has stopped working.

:china:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
The first thing I did this morning was miss my mouth when I went to take a sip of coffee so bear with me here.

Can anyone help me trace mac addresses to a port on an Extreme switched L2/L3 network? I'm implementing a vlan for our IPCam network and need to find out where the cameras are coming into the access layer switches. The only local routes at the access layer are for my management vlan, so show fdb doesn't give me anything useful. I can pull up the full arp table, and see the mac addresses I'm looking for on the switch, but it's pointing me to the trunk port. Any way to find out where these things plug into the network without trial and error? All of the vlan routing is done at the main fiber switch and the environment is an x670 in the middle and fiber runs to x440s all around campus.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

I am not overly impressed with Salary Fairy, or more importantly the 4 "peers" who have underestimated my salary by 25k.

I've got about 3 lovely retail jobs, a field IT tech job and a HVAC customer service job and it's overestimating by almost 3 times what I make. And that's out of like 20 peers.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

I've got about 3 lovely retail jobs, a field IT tech job and a HVAC customer service job and it's overestimating by almost 3 times what I make. And that's out of like 20 peers.

I have two pretty basic certs and a little under 1.5 years of experience. It thinks I should be making almost 70k.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Roargasm posted:

The first thing I did this morning was miss my mouth when I went to take a sip of coffee so bear with me here.

Can anyone help me trace mac addresses to a port on an Extreme switched L2/L3 network? I'm implementing a vlan for our IPCam network and need to find out where the cameras are coming into the access layer switches. The only local routes at the access layer are for my management vlan, so show fdb doesn't give me anything useful. I can pull up the full arp table, and see the mac addresses I'm looking for on the switch, but it's pointing me to the trunk port. Any way to find out where these things plug into the network without trial and error? All of the vlan routing is done at the main fiber switch and the environment is an x670 in the middle and fiber runs to x440s all around campus.

I just login to my switches. It has what MAC is on which port listed under the dynamic address table.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roargasm posted:

I might be misunderstanding your question but I worked at a place with an extreme networks switch and no labels on any of the cabling, we figured out which port a device was on by physically unplugging and replugging it several times and then looking at the log.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have two pretty basic certs and a little under 1.5 years of experience. It thinks I should be making almost 70k.

Well... it is possible

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Roargasm posted:

If Extreme doesn't support some type of Layer2-Trace, then you'll have to go hop-by-hop. If your core says it's on a trunk port, go to the switch on that trunk and repeat until you get a final local interface.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Well... it is possible

Why is it asking me to predict salaries? I'm literally just guessing because, if I knew the salaries these people are making, why would I be on this site? And if it's averaging my guess with other peoples', it sure is skewed.

Regarding Japanese Dating Sim, sure it's possible, but not really when you work for a public university. At least, that's the case at my employer... top dog makes a hair shy of 100k, next highest is around 55k and bottom-rung helpdesk is paid minimum wage with no benefits.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Return trip report from my first round of interview :
- 30% raise min from actual salary without even having started to negociate. I'm wondering how high this can go up too.
- cool job on a technology I really made my teeth on, Dynamics Ax, the PSA module mostly. Like I said, havin Ax/X++ on your CV makes you a target for recruiting right now in Europe, but kwowing PSA makes it even more ridiculous.

Still 2 more IT service companies to see, with similar missions & packages from what I've been told.

And 2 internal IT for industrial companies.

My resignation couldn't be closer.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Roargasm posted:

Try ` show fdb` that should be the mac address table.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

If Extreme doesn't support some type of Layer2-Trace, then you'll have to go hop-by-hop. If your core says it's on a trunk port, go to the switch on that trunk and repeat until you get a final local interface.

Oh my god I found eight cameras all run to a chained 8-port gigabit PoE switch + hub with 150+ meter cat5 runs, no wonder I couldn't find them on the adjacent switches :eng99: Thanks for the help, people are smart

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 7, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Just got a new job as a dev in a small 5 man operation after coming from a medium sized corporate. I am in heaven. Heaven!!!

First day. Have meeting with dev team, all of which are from an outsourcing company.

Meeting ends.

Boss: OK bpower knows more about this than any of you, he's in charge. He'll let you know what you need to do.

Me: ...

Next day. First thing in the morning.

Boss: Dont bother coming into the office if you can get you work done from home. Here's a new laptop, i got one of the contractors to set it up.

Me: ...

Two days later. Boss rings for first time.

Boss: Hows things? That laptop OK?

Me: Its not great to be honest.

Boss: OK, let me know what brand and model you want and I'll get it.

Two days later.

Boss: hows the code base?

Me: Its as bad as I've seen. Comical in places.

Boss: Can we rescue it or will we re-write it? I wont have poo poo code!

Me: That a big decision, I'll need more time to...

Boss interrupting: Take your time. Anything else?

Me: Nope.

I am so loving happy.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bpower posted:

I am so loving happy.

Congrats man. Just a suggestion though, when you talk about the code base in the future, be tactful. You never know what was written by people your boss respects, likes, plays golf with, or who godfathered his children.

I'm not saying he's going to turn on you, it's just professional. You can be frank about all the problems you see; if a piece of software has a security flaw, for instance, by all means point it out and prioritize it accordingly. Just don't editorialize. The code base is not "comical," instead you "can see several areas where we could significantly improve things." Language like that.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Congrats man. Just a suggestion though, when you talk about the code base in the future, be tactful. You never know what was written by people your boss respects, likes, plays golf with, or who godfathered his children.

I'm not saying he's going to turn on you, it's just professional. You can be frank about all the problems you see; if a piece of software has a security flaw, for instance, by all means point it out and prioritize it accordingly. Just don't editorialize. The code base is not "comical," instead you "can see several areas where we could significantly improve things." Language like that.

I know man, Im not one of those idiots who shouts "Oh My God who wrote this poo poo" to the whole floor when stepping thru code. He's a top notch dev himself and is crazy about quality. He let the outsource company handle all the code for years and asked me to take it over and bring it all back in house. In the meeting I had with the other devs I said I thought there were fundamental problems with the design. I was showing them the issues and I looked around to see was the boss taking it in. He had his hands to his mouth shaking his head. That was the meeting were he said I was leading the thing.

edit: I posted this in the coding-horrors thread a couple of days ago. I found it comical :colbert:.

code:
string tmpVal = tmpRec.Value.ToString();

double moneyIn = 0;
double moneyOut = 0;
if (tmpVal.Contains("-"))
     moneyOut = double.Parse(tmpVal.Replace("-", ""));
else
     moneyIn = double.Parse(tmpVal.Replace("-", ""));

bpower fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 8, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

bpower posted:

I know man, Im not one of those idiots who shouts "Oh My God who wrote this poo poo" to the whole floor when stepping thru code. He's a top notch dev himself and is crazy about quality. He let the outsource company handle all the code for years and asked me to take it over and bring it all back in house. In the meeting I had with the other devs I said I thought there were fundamental problems with the design. I was showing them the issues and I looked around to see was the boss taking it in. He had his hands to his mouth shaking his head. That was the meeting were he said I was leading the thing.

edit: I posted this in the coding-horrors thread a couple of days ago. I found it comical :colbert:.

code:
string tmpVal = tmpRec.Value.ToString();

double moneyIn = 0;
double moneyOut = 0;
if (tmpVal.Contains("-"))
     moneyOut = double.Parse(tmpVal.Replace("-", ""));
else
     moneyIn = double.Parse(tmpVal.Replace("-", ""));
Is it funny because they converted it to a string and checked for a hyphen, rather than just evaluate the integer?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

adorai posted:

Is it funny because they converted it to a string and checked for a hyphen, rather than just evaluate the integer?

He's tring to do the following

double moneyIn = 0;
double moneyOut = 0;

if tmpRec.Value < 0
moneyOut = tmpRec.Value * -1;
else
moneyIn = tmpRec.Value;

Instead he converts to a string, checks if string contains "-", if it does he strips it off and converts it back into a double. If it doesn't contain a "-" he trys to strip it out anyway and then converts back to a double.

He's basically rejected arithmetic as a method.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

adorai posted:

He's converting a negative double (floating point integer, or "never use this for money") to positive by converting the double to a string, stripping the "-" out of it, and converting it back to a double.

Took me a bit to figure out because it's just so obtuse, like someone editing excel fields by printing out the sheet, handwriting changes on it, and scanning it back in.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

like someone editing excel fields by printing out the sheet, handwriting changes on it, and scanning it back in.
I have actually seen this.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My boss that left a while back(to work for VmWare, as a pre-sales engineer, good on him), been in contact with him. It's great, he's done a 180.
Now he's the one bitching about Microsoft, and arguing about how everything's going to end up in the cloud very shortly. VMWare made quick work of him. :whip:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 9, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bpower posted:

He's tring to do the following

double moneyIn = 0;
double moneyOut = 0;

if tmpRec.Value < 0
moneyOut = tmpRec.Value * -1;
else
moneyIn = tmpRec.Value;

Instead he converts to a string, checks if string contains "-", if it does he strips it off and converts it back into a double. If it doesn't contain a "-" he trys to strip it out anyway and then converts back to a double.

He's basically rejected arithmetic as a method.

Isn't there a way to use absolute value in most languages anyway?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

bpower posted:

I know man, Im not one of those idiots who shouts "Oh My God who wrote this poo poo" to the whole floor when stepping thru code.

I did this the other day about a really poo poo rack and stack job and didn't know that the guy that did it was in the room. I felt bad about it but come on dude, at least cut your cables down so they're not in a pile on the floor.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

Isn't there a way to use absolute value in most languages anyway?

Yes. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this person probably didn't know about absolute value as a mathematical concept.

Edit: More likely, since we're talking about a (presumably crappy) outsourcing firm, the person just isn't a programmer. Their task is to display all money values without signs (probably because negatives or losses will be colored red or put in parens or something later). They learned how to manipulate strings. So they just make it a string and manipulate the string. They are thinking about everything in terms of what is displayed on a screen or a sheet of paper, not what the value represents.

Just a guess.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 9, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
After midnight on a weekend and I am testing a python script I wrote to automatically backup a domain's instance via AM creationI in AWS. When things actually work and you are learning some new tricks its kinda more fun than a chore.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

Yes. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that this person probably didn't know about absolute value as a mathematical concept.

Edit: More likely, since we're talking about a (presumably crappy) outsourcing firm, the person just isn't a programmer. Their task is to display all money values without signs (probably because negatives or losses will be colored red or put in parens or something later). They learned how to manipulate strings. So they just make it a string and manipulate the string. They are thinking about everything in terms of what is displayed on a screen or a sheet of paper, not what the value represents.

Just a guess.

This is exactly it. Thats some Holmes poo poo right there.
They were asked to develop from a government issued paper document where you fill in your "ins and outs". Each record has one column for Ins and one for Outs. They copied the data structure exactly from the doc. The code is constantly checking if each record is an In or an Out.

If strIn = "" Or strIn = "0" or strIn = "0.00" then
// Its an Out! Do 400 line of code right here
else
// Its an In. Do almost exactly the same 400 lines of code right here.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bpower posted:

This is exactly it. Thats some Holmes poo poo right there.

Nah man, it's just a really common thing in the development world. Decision-makers find out that you can get code written for a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for a local developer, so after they get done drooling all over their keyboards, they jump on it. What they don't understand is that what they're paying for from local develoeprs is education, experience and passion, the last of which drives us to actively improve our skills and understanding of the craft.

So they get their application for a song. Except it looks a little rough, and it doesn't do everything it should (at least, not all the time), and everyone who starts using it hates it. The company has to pay more to the outsourcing company to fix things, and some things will get fixed and other things will break. Maybe the outsourcing company starts taking longer and longer to respond to problems (oh and since they're literally on the opposite side of the world, there is no real-time communication of any kind, so every tiny issue and question/answer session takes days or weeks instead of hours). If the software is important enough, maybe you have to hire more techs to support it and continuously un-gently caress databases the program touches or documents it creates. Man, this cheap program sure got expensive, didn't it?

I don't know why "you get what you pay for" is such a hard lesson for companies to retain, but they seem to have to re-learn it for any new situation they encounter.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
There were training sessions for remote employees in the meeting rooms right outside our IT area. They used the locked hallway into our area to store the massive sandwich spreads for the 30 minutes or so between when the catering showed up and the classes broke for lunch. And that's the story of how I went an entire week without spending money on food.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Is OpenSUSE worth learning (for network administration and just in general)? I figure if I'm going to learn linux it may as well be one that I'm interested in

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Race Realists posted:

Is OpenSUSE worth learning (for network administration and just in general)? I figure if I'm going to learn linux it may as well be one that I'm interested in

I've been using SuSe Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) for about a year to shore up our ancient Novell environment. I'd stick to Centos because SLES is very close to RedHat and is less popular.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The majority of corporate Linux environments are going to be RedHat based (RedHat/CentOS/Oracle). Ubuntu is the other one I've seen. We use RedHat.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Pudgygiant posted:

There were training sessions for remote employees in the meeting rooms right outside our IT area. They used the locked hallway into our area to store the massive sandwich spreads for the 30 minutes or so between when the catering showed up and the classes broke for lunch. And that's the story of how I went an entire week without spending money on food.

In 8 months you'll turn to your friend and say "remember those sandwiches?" and he'll say "yeah" and you'll both sigh.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skipdogg posted:

The majority of corporate Linux environments are going to be RedHat based (RedHat/CentOS/Oracle). Ubuntu is the other one I've seen. We use RedHat.

Ubuntu is almost never "corporate", in the sense that "enterprise" apps (Oracle, Clearcase, etc) don't run or aren't supported. SLES has uptake for the opposite reason.

mayodreams posted:

I've been using SuSe Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) for about a year to shore up our ancient Novell environment. I'd stick to Centos because SLES is very close to RedHat and is less popular.

Suse is like Redhat in the sense that they're both RPM-based and both Linux. Not that similar otherwise.

But for learning Linux as a beginner, distro choice doesn't matter nearly as much as just using it, so pick whatever. Every distro I used in the beginning is dead. Same probably goes for others. The userland (package manager aside) is pretty similar. Just use it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
10x traffic spike from Tumblr ruined my Sunday. How's everyone else doing?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
You can't say that without posting a link!

As for me, pretty tired but also pretty stoked: cut-over to different RIS (Radiology specific EMR) has gone incredibly well, and while I worked all weekend, tomorrow is going to be full of high-fives: the few people that worked yesterday and today raved about how much better this system is, and how well prepared they were for the changes.
It's been a huge project, taking on lots of risk and 7 figure contracts, so it's great to not only deliver, but to knock it the gently caress out of the park. :toot:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A couple dorm buildings went down around 7 this morning. Reset those, built a home-made rocket engine, and I coming in to work two hours later tomorrow as comp. All in all, a good day!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alfajor posted:

You can't say that without posting a link!

As for me, pretty tired but also pretty stoked: cut-over to different RIS (Radiology specific EMR) has gone incredibly well, and while I worked all weekend, tomorrow is going to be full of high-fives: the few people that worked yesterday and today raved about how much better this system is, and how well prepared they were for the changes.
It's been a huge project, taking on lots of risk and 7 figure contracts, so it's great to not only deliver, but to knock it the gently caress out of the park. :toot:
We got 70,000+ reblogs in a few hours from this Tumblr post. We crashed under the load for about 20-30 minutes until we were able to scale up on EC2 (which still isn't as automated as I'd like). There's worse reasons to crash than too many users, though!

Tonight I have to retool our whole metrics collection system, our log aggregation system, and our monitoring system, because none of them are able to cope with this much load and it makes everything that much worse. (I say "tonight" as though it will still be dark out when I go to sleep.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Misogynist posted:

We got 70,000+ reblogs in a few hours from this Tumblr post. We crashed under the load for about 20-30 minutes until we were able to scale up on EC2 (which still isn't as automated as I'd like). There's worse reasons to crash than too many users, though!

Tonight I have to retool our whole metrics collection system, our log aggregation system, and our monitoring system, because none of them are able to cope with this much load and it makes everything that much worse. (I say "tonight" as though it will still be dark out when I go to sleep.)

Congratolances 2 u

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mewse posted:

Congratolances 2 u
I'm drowning my sorrows in celebratory beer whiskey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Boss just confirmed we're cleared through HR to accept a vender's invitation to go to next monday night's football game, which includes tailgating with the cheerleaders and club level seats. I'm not a football guy but this sounds like it'll be a good time.

Corp IT's pretty cool sometimes.