Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

That's what you think. All glory to the ubermensch and the Fatherland/Motherland :japan:

Seriously though the whole Ackerman subplot seems to be a thinly veiled attempt to stretch out the story.

Unless the Ackermans turn out to be monkey titans, I don't really see the point of introducing another set of super powers. If there was something special with the Ackerman bloodline you would have figured that Kenny or Levi would have picked it up the minute they saw Mikasa's full name.

Well one of them will be dead soon so we've got that going for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Emron posted:

Posted in the wrong thread, but Eren has to be just completely hosed up from realizing how he and Historia were/are being manipulated the same way by their parents.

This was the most interesting part of the chapter to me, hopefully Isayama continues this plot thread next chapter instead of focusing on the Ackerman's but Levi's last line sounds like setup for a flashback. It'd be cool if Eren could save Historia from the same fate, unfortunately she knows about Rod's motivations and probably the walls by extension which could potentially blow the lid off almost all the mysteries and we still have 1/3 of the story left, so of the two she's more likely to die. She should at least get closure on her relationship with Ymir before she goes though, maybe there's hope left.

One really horrible scenario would be if the Scouting Legion gets there in time to save Eren from being eaten but not before Historia takes the injection so she's stuck as a mindless titan. Do they still need her for the coup? Because if so, and with their side being pretty corrupted with Zackly and all, I could see them deciding to feed Eren to her anyway since they need a Queen. In a situation like that, I think Mikasa would just grab Eren and Armin and make a run for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Well one of them will be dead soon so we've got that going for us.

Yeah Levi's been looking like he's going to die for a long, long while so not going to be surprised in the least if he bites it in the upcoming chapters.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Some more info on that Attack on Marvel thing:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/11/05-1/more-information-on-marvel-comics-vs-attack-on-titan-crossover-previewed posted:

Japan's Toyko-based pop culture magazine Brutus has more information on the Attack on Titan crossover with Marvel Comics listed in its next issue preview. Issue 790, on sale November 15th will feature a "What If" comic with the Marvel's Avengers superhero team battling the Female Titan on the streets of New York.

The issue will also have more thoughts on the character and story from series creator Hajime Isayama as well as a preview of the exhibit at the Ueno Royal Museum that opens on November 28th.

Isayama draws the cover and a special Titan sticker.

And this could also be fun:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-05/attack-on-titan-gets-1st-life-size-15-meter-statue/.80693 posted:

On Wednesday, Universal Studios Japan announced details on the limited-time attractions at its Universal Cool Japan event, which will run between January 23 and May 10.

One collaboration recreates the world of Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan manga and anime. The "Attack on Titan The Real" attraction will feature a full-size, 15-meter (about 49-foot) Eren Titan — the first of its kind in the world, according to the theme park — as well as a 14-meter (46-foot) female Titan. Visitor will witness the Titans locked in fierce combat from the perspective of Survey Corps members.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zogundar posted:

Have we ever see a Titan, for example, bisected at the waist? How fast does something like THAT heal? Does the bottom half turn to smoke and bones and the top has to regrow a new bottom?

Broseph Brostar posted:

I bet Goku could kill even more titans he could like teleport into their necks and kill them instantly

:goku:

(Sorry it was a couple of pages ago but I'm on vacation.)

Having mixed feelings about this issue. On the one hand, yay Titans! On the other, all of this family stuff is what ruined Star Wars.

Also, too many funnels, not enough tentacles.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Annie gonna get wrecked.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Speaking of Annie, in retrospect, her crystallization makes a lot more sense now. She wasn't just denying the Recon Corps a chance to interrogate her, she was denying the nobles a chance to devour her and learn the location of the shifter village from her memories.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The part of the super-Ackermans that can be considered poorly-foreshadowed is that Levi never once before (that I remember, I might be wrong) made any comment about he and Mikasa sharing a last name, which is kinda weird.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
On the other hand, it's perfectly in-character for him to not say anything about himself.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Elias_Maluco posted:

The part of the super-Ackermans that can be considered poorly-foreshadowed is that Levi never once before (that I remember, I might be wrong) made any comment about he and Mikasa sharing a last name, which is kinda weird.

Didn't he just learn it recently?

E: yeah he mentioned that he only heard his full name the day before

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Broseph Brostar posted:

Didn't he just learn it recently?

E: yeah he mentioned that he only heard his full name the day before

I understood that he was talking about Kenny's name, not his own?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, worked fine at home.

It's possible that the serum is different from Monkey Trouble transformations as well. People who change using the serum seem to have a distinctive form upon transformation, for example. We also saw one of Monkey Trouble's titans attack another, so it's safe to say that we (and the characters) still have a lot to learn about this whole titan business.

One theory I had a while ago is that a person's appearance and abilities as a Titan where a reflection of the person who transformed. Of course that's had a bit of wrench thrown in it since it was confirmed that titan abilities are a tangible thing that can be passed around.

Eren has a massive ego and sees himself as (or at least wants to be) a big hero. So he turns into a chiselled muscle-bound Greek god. But Eren isn't really a big drat hero, he's just a kinda crazy guy with a vendetta. So the heroic imagery is broken up by his monstrous inhuman face.

Annie has no illusions about being a bad person. She doesn't lie to herself like Reiner, she knows she's a bad person doing bad things. But at the same time she secretly wishes that she could just be an ordinary girl. So her titan form has this ghoulish half skinless appearance, caught between the monster she knows she is and the woman she wishes she was. The crystallization power represents the emotional armour she puts up to keep people from getting too close to her (and more importantly, her from them.).

Reiner has convinced himself that he is a knight in shining armour. He's there to save everyone and be the big hero. So he transforms into a literal knight in shining armour. But that armour is useless for protecting anyone, because the person its really there to save is himself, from his own madness.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
And Bertolt just wants to be even taller.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

In It For The Tank posted:

And Bertolt just wants to be even taller.

And still ends up being kind of useless anyways.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Pensive posted:

Eren has a massive ego and sees himself as (or at least wants to be) a big hero.

When did this happen? I remember him being a psycho titan hater from day 1, not a hero.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eren has never seen himself or wants to be a hero, that has never been a thing with his character. The closest thing you can even construe to that is his glorifying of the Scout Corp when he was a kid and the second they got back from the fight with the female titan, he had realized how wrong he was.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, I wasn't really sure how to phrase what I wanted to say there properly. I guess I meant stuff like how he gets frustrated when Mikasa keeps saving him. Eren wants to be the one saving people, not because he wants be viewed as some selfless hero or gets off on helping people, but because he hates feeling helpless. He's not just satisfied with being saved and wants to be the one doing the saving. Though I've just gone back an re-read some stuff an Eren was allot more cool headed and reasonable early on than I remember him being.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Made this post about titan forms over a year ago and while it's clearly debunked there may still be bits of truth in it:

yellowyams posted:

My stupid and probably wrong theory is that, assuming Ymir wasn't flat-out lying about stealing the titan power, Eren's titan is actually his dad's. If titan forms can be passed on to other people it would explain why Ymir and Eren's titans don't particularly resemble them but some of Rage Titan's features match up with Grisha (okay, mostly just the nose). At the very least I think it's worth pointing out that Ymir, Eren, and Sasquatch are the only titans I can recall with pointy ears, who knows if that actually means anything.

Maybe the next time a shifter transforms after eating another shifter they begin to display traits of the person they ate. It could explain why Frieda's titan had light hair. And look at muppetbaby Eren's titan form in the last chapter, it clearly looks way younger than his titan form now, meanwhile Reiner and Bertolt's titans look roughly the same as they did when they broke down the first wall. Eren's titan form's head looks incredibly similar to Grisha's from this chapter sans facial hair and with a hosed up jaw, despite the fact that he has Carla's features as a human. What's throwing me off is that Ymir doesn't look different after eating Berick, but her titan still doesn't look like her.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah Levi's been looking like he's going to die for a long, long while so not going to be surprised in the least if he bites it in the upcoming chapters.

I'd be surprised. Pretty sure he's the more than twice as popular than any other character in Japan, and Isayama's been known to pander in the past, look at all the panel time he got this arc and what even came out of it? The coup was successful without his squad so the heavy focus on them feels kind of unwarranted but its what the fans wanted. I doubt the editors would let him kill off the magazine's main source of income anyway, unless he does it at the end.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 9, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Levi is the most popular character followed up by Eren, I'm pretty sure. It's not twice as popular, Eren's got a sizable fanbase too. No one's going to stop reading the manga because Levi was killed, especially not if Isayama invested his death in the story a lot.

quote:

The coup was successful without his squad so the heavy focus on them feels kind of unwarranted but its what the fans wanted.

The focus is on them because the Survey Corp stand to gain the most from this and they are the central group in the Survey Corp that we follow since all of the main characters that aren't Eren are in that group.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Hahaha! He eats the poopy! Hahaha!!!

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

The focus is on them because the Survey Corp stand to gain the most from this and they are the central group in the Survey Corp that we follow since all of the main characters that aren't Eren are in that group.

I can understand that but it feels like in other arcs, although focus may have jumped around a bit, it was still primarily on the most relevant group. At the time it was being published, the characters in the Utgard arc were supporting cast, but important events were occurring where they were so the focus made sense. Hange and Erwin felt more relevant to the coup to me so I thought the focus should've been on them instead, although Erwin got a sizable amount. I think the last arc was so fast-paced that it's throwing me off, and maybe I'm being unfair because of that. But really, the author should've written more for Levi's squad to do after the plan went wrong instead of having to wait for Hange to tell them where to go.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dean of Swing posted:

Hahaha! He eats the poopy! Hahaha!!!
It's like a one-man human centipede.
Zackley isn't a nice person.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I read up to like 45 and then got distracted for a while, now I want to come back but my brain's only retained the most basic plot details of the manga and I hate feeling lost. Could someone summarize (or point me to a summary) of what happened in the manga to about Chapter 40?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Levi is the most popular character followed up by Eren, I'm pretty sure. It's not twice as popular, Eren's got a sizable fanbase too. No one's going to stop reading the manga because Levi was killed, especially not if Isayama invested his death in the story a lot.

While I'm pretty sure there is gonna be a major character death pretty soon, and I know Isayama has the balls to kill off Eren (but he's got so much more development to go) I doubt it's gonna be Levi. Levi is super popular and killing him off would hurt his business. He's the author's pet character. That and it's not been built up. We know who Levi is as a person but not what made him the man he is today.

Levi dying without hurting sales would need to be a pivotal and emotional moment in the series for the more hardcore fans to accept it and not just quit reading. When you kill off a popular character, other characters have to immediately benefit- either in a narrative sense (such as the Stark children getting more narrative focus and depth and plot armor is paper-thin.) or in a material sense. The death leads to a benefit to the rest of the cast. Isayama has done this before with Hannes.

I think it's gonna be Sasha. Her story is basically over. She's got nowhere left to go in the narrative. Jean and Connie both have places to go and people to see. She's more or less one of the background Scouts who has a few lines now.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 10, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Now I can tell people who've only seen the anime, "the manga gets really crazy into that Japanese stuff, man, just wait til you get to the enemas and the cross-dressing" and laugh and laugh when they think I'm just kidding.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Catalina posted:

Now I can tell people who've only seen the anime, "the manga gets really crazy into that Japanese stuff, man, just wait til you get to the enemas and the cross-dressing" and laugh and laugh when they think I'm just kidding.

do u spoil who are titans

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Squidster posted:

Some more info on that Attack on Marvel thing:

Avengers against one titan wouldn't be a fair match.

Now Avengers against BRA on the other hand, now we got a show.

Real disappointment they chose only FT even with her having the highest body count technically.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LEGO Genetics posted:

Real disappointment they chose only FT even with her having the highest body count technically.

I think the anime is probably a lot more popular than the manga in North America, so it makes sense that they would want to stick with the Titans who are revealed in the anime, so far!

Although hopefully they have Monkey Trouble show up out of nowhere at the end to baffle everyone who hasn't read the manga.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

oknope posted:

do u spoil who are titans

When you google for an AoT wallpaper, one of the hits is Ymir, Annie, Eren, Reiner and Bert all standing behind their respective titans. I feel really bad for the s2 anime fans.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

When you google for an AoT wallpaper, one of the hits is Ymir, Annie, Eren, Reiner and Bert all standing behind their respective titans. I feel really bad for the s2 anime fans.

I actually just read the manga for the first time this past week, and I'd ended up stupidly spoiling myself on Bert and Reiner... but it actually made it really fun to read, because I'd notice them every time they showed up, and picked up on a lot of great foreshadowing. And as I result I ended up guessing that Ymir was one too, before I even knew her name. Haha.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

You know you could also take a break from SA by not visiting the site, right?

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

How did you miss the 'Convince someone to read a manga with one image!' thread? That seems like the perfect one.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

GodFish posted:

How did you miss the 'Convince someone to read a manga with one image!' thread? That seems like the perfect one.
It does fit right in with the discussion about Zackley's hobbies.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can you imagine if goatse was a titan

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What the hell is wrong with you people

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 10, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

What the hell is wrong if you people

Are you telling me goatse still shocks you? I must be getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So from the charactor bet historia gets killed and then its all tears for the new royal family. And he is so lying that his family was like innocent people.