Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

DrPain posted:

We've done more work this week, but I'm finding it hard to give a gently caress about most of it. I have found a buyer for the shop and will be selling it at the end of the month.

:byewhore:

So are you actually selling it out to a buyer with money on the table as opposed to writing off what you've put in as a loss? If so, good on you man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It is sad to see this thread end. But yeah, when the bullshit gets too bad the only thing to do is leave.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

DrPain posted:

We've done more work this week, but I'm finding it hard to give a gently caress about most of it. I have found a buyer for the shop and will be selling it at the end of the month.

:byewhore:

Just to be clear, Mark wasn't able to buy the shop back from you and you found an external buyer for the shop?
Yeah, let us know how the new owners like it when he eventually tries pulling his shenanigans on them (if he stays, that is).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

DrPain posted:

Valvetronic is BMW's name for variable valve timing, and they do it differently than everybody else. Try not to ask yourself "but why?". Instead of using oil pressure and a solenoid actuator to advance or retard the timing of the camshaft itself like Honda's often imitated (for a good reason) VTEC, BMW cobbled up this loving poo poo:

It's got an electric throttle, of course, so when the driver steps on the accelerator pedal and the PCM decides it wants to advance valve timing, it commands an electric motor to turn an added "eccentric shaft" which acts on an intermediate rocker arm to open the valve deeper. All in the name of efficiency, but in stereotypical German fashion, hilariously unreliable. The eccentric shaft has it's own sensor to report the shaft angle to the PCM, and it likes to leak oil internally.

:science: Valvetronic is BMW's variable valve lift system. The VVT is called VANOS and it works in the usual way - (solenoids, oil pressure, cam phasers, etc.). They do it this way because the two systems working together give the computer complete control over valve timing - to the point where it can implement throttle commands via valve lift. It's way more adaptable than even the latest VTEC designs. The throttle butterfly is there for fail-safe only and is normally wide open. Think of it as individual throttle bodies for pedestrian cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man that bricknose F250 makes me sad. It's in such nice bodily shape.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Yeah that's a tough one, it's really not worth fixing but it's so drat clean. Every time I see one like that in my area it's absolutely beat to poo poo and rusty.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The engine management on that pickup looks...intimidating.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

DrPain posted:

... This is a big loving engine, at 460 cubic inches, and was Ford's response to GM's 454 big block.

The 460 was introduced in the Thunderbird in the late 60's and the 454 came along in 1970, so, reverse that!

Then again, the bbc was introduced in 1966, and the 385 came along in 1968, so maybe it was a Ford response. But the FE was introduced in 1958, so maybe it was Ford.

Meh, potato, potato. That truck is totally worth fixing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SlapActionJackson posted:

:science: Valvetronic is BMW's variable valve lift system. The VVT is called VANOS and it works in the usual way - (solenoids, oil pressure, cam phasers, etc.). They do it this way because the two systems working together give the computer complete control over valve timing - to the point where it can implement throttle commands via valve lift. It's way more adaptable than even the latest VTEC designs. The throttle butterfly is there for fail-safe only and is normally wide open. Think of it as individual throttle bodies for pedestrian cars.

Wow I did not know about this. That is really fascinating that they have full control over throttle just by controlling timing and lift.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Liquid Communism posted:

So are you actually selling it out to a buyer with money on the table as opposed to writing off what you've put in as a loss? If so, good on you man.

steady posted:

Just to be clear, Mark wasn't able to buy the shop back from you and you found an external buyer for the shop?
Yeah, let us know how the new owners like it when he eventually tries pulling his shenanigans on them (if he stays, that is).

Yes! I found a 3rd party who wants to come in with his own customers and mechanics. I am getting out of the shop debt free plus a very small profit. They will be employing my guys for as long as they play ball with the new team, and servicing my customers for as long as they stick around under new ownership. I told them to fire Mark if he becomes a problem.

I'm in the final stages of hiring for that seafood sales thing, but it's not a done deal yet.

jhcain posted:

The 460 was introduced in the Thunderbird in the late 60's and the 454 came along in 1970, so, reverse that!

Then again, the bbc was introduced in 1966, and the 385 came along in 1968, so maybe it was a Ford response. But the FE was introduced in 1958, so maybe it was Ford.

Meh, potato, potato. That truck is totally worth fixing.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Man I've been getting a lot of poo poo wrong lately. I guess that's just another symptom of being loving done with this bullshit already.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 17, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

DrPain posted:

Man I've been getting a lot of poo poo wrong lately. I guess that's just another symptom of being loving done with this bullshit already.

You've been busy. Its ok buddy. :3:

I saw the valvetronic goof and thought eh, gently caress it. I've had good results putting a new o ring on the sensor and cleaning all the loving oil outta the pigtail. but for the cost of going into the V/C? Its getting a new drat sensor too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is worse than the ending of :lost:. :cry:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Congrats, DrPain. I'm glad you were able to extricate yourself from this bullshit situation and even with a small windfall to show for it. I'm sad for the inevitable death of this thread...

...unless you continue it by updating us on your day-to-day life as a fishmonger or whatever the hell you're planning to do :)

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

The Midniter posted:

...unless you continue it by updating us on your day-to-day life as a fishmonger or whatever the hell you're planning to do :)

I don't know how I feel about 10+ pictures of him cutting various fish open and describing what he finds wrong. I'm conflicted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Talk about Mark burning his bridges, he doesn't want to work for you, can't afford to buy the business back, so he ends up at the worst solution possible: working for someone he doesn't know.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Talk about Mark burning his bridges, he doesn't want to work for you, can't afford to buy the business back, so he ends up at the worst solution possible: working for someone he doesn't know.

With the new owner hearing not:

"hes my father in law, I know hes a PITA, but he does good work so try and work with him"

but:

"YO gently caress THAT GUY NUKE HIS rear end THE FIRST CHANCE YOU GET PEACE OUT FUCKERS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Not how it was actually said I'm sure, but I took some artistic liberties.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Slow is Fast posted:

With the new owner hearing not:

"hes my father in law, I know hes a PITA, but he does good work so try and work with him"

but:

"YO gently caress THAT GUY NUKE HIS rear end THE FIRST CHANCE YOU GET PEACE OUT FUCKERS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Not how it was actually said I'm sure, but I took some artistic liberties.

Both, really. "I'd appreciate you keeping him employed but don't put up with too much of his bullshit."

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

The Midniter posted:

Congrats, DrPain. I'm glad you were able to extricate yourself from this bullshit situation and even with a small windfall to show for it. I'm sad for the inevitable death of this thread...

Come to GWS...

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Dane posted:

Come to GWS...

I'm a pretty big corporate fishmonger, you've probably heard of me?

Also I missed this post earlier.

Slavvy posted:

We've certainly worked on more INTIMIDATING than this!

DrPain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 17, 2014

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Pain enjoyed your thread. I am sad I wont get to learn more about brodozer culture, or see the odd cars that cross your shop.

Shame things didnt work out with mark but I thought he was just gonna go the shade tree route to lower the over head.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

The EFI on the 460 is about as complicated as a club hammer. And worked not too badly, the things got drat good fuel economy for a ridiculous big block retrofitted to '80s EFI.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 18, 2014

SvenLeven
Nov 2, 2004

Everybody's got a price!
Hey its been said, but this was one of my favorite threads to come lurk in. Well written and entertaining, sad to see it ending. I learned lots too!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tommychu posted:

The EFI on the 460 is about as complicated as a club hammer. And worked not too badly, the things got drat good fuel economy for a ridiculous big block retrofitted to '80s EFI.

What do you consider to be 'drat good fuel economy'? My dad's 1995 F-350 got 6.6 miles to the gallon, unloaded.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Advent Horizon posted:

What do you consider to be 'drat good fuel economy'? My dad's 1995 F-350 got 6.6 miles to the gallon, unloaded.

Ain't bad... Wanna trade for a dodge?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

My scout troop used our church's bus for a trip from Atlanta out to the scout camp in New Mexico back in 2001. The bus was an airport shuttle-style deal built off an E350 chassis that I'd guess was a mid-late 90s model with a 460 under the hood. I tracked fuel economy on the trip (because I'm a loving nerd like that) and we managed 11-13 mpg for the most part, which surprised the poo poo out of me.

On the way back to Atlanta, our trip took us across Colorado on I-70, which gets to over 10,000 ft above sea level in the Vail Pass. My dad was driving at the time and he said that he had to go WOT for a solid hour to keep up 45 mph and it drat near overheated as well. On that tank, we got 5 mpg.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tommychu posted:

IIRC the 460 was also one of the last, if not THE last, Ford engine sold in the US to get EFI.

bandman posted:

On the way back to Atlanta, our trip took us across Colorado on I-70, which gets to over 10,000 ft above sea level in the Vail Pass. My dad was driving at the time and he said that he had to go WOT for a solid hour to keep up 45 mph and it drat near overheated as well. On that tank, we got 5 mpg.

Barely related, but I took a road trip about a year ago in my Ion. It's rated 35 MPG highway.

I had it wide loving open for nearly an entire tank, alternating between 3rd and 4th (it's a 5 speed manual), and could barely crack 55 (in an 85), thanks to a strong headwind. I managed 17 mpg on that tank - by far the worst tank I've ever had in this car. Even doing pizza delivery (often in rush hour), I still rarely drop below 23.

Coming back from that trip, it was 30 mpg+ the entire way until road conditions got lovely (icy as hell). Still didn't drop below 28.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think this thread should be Goldmined.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

The Midniter posted:

I think this thread should be Goldmined.

Seconded. Excellent thread.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
The sale date for the shop got pushed back to 12/1 while the new seller pays off DMV and gets all their licensing ducks in a row. So I'm still here.

I didn't get the seafood sales job, not for a lack of trying though. Numerous follow ups, and a month later they decided to hire someone with more direct experience in the food service industry to product more immediate results. Fair enough, I suppose.

I've taken this extra month of transition to go beat on the doors of every dealership service department in town, I figure that's my best option at this point. The good news is every time I manage to get in a room with a service manager they seem really excited about my skills and experience, but only a handful are actively hiring.

I've got a few decent prospects though, one of them is even a high line luxury brand which would be pretty loving legit.

I keep telling myself to take pictures of the shop and do a no fucks given farewell tour post, but holy poo poo I have way too much going on as it is between selling the joint, interviewing, and running the day to day operations in the meantime.

So I guess stay tuned, because if I play my cards right this thread could very well be reincarnated from within the bowels of a dealership.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

DrPain posted:

this thread could very well be reincarnated from within the bowels of a dealership.

Yessss

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The more German, the better.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

DrPain posted:

So I guess stay tuned, because if I play my cards right this thread could very well be reincarnated from within the bowels of a dealership.

Customer came in today with his 2014 Whatever for an oil change and 'B' service. We cross-threaded the aluminum oil pan when replacing the drain plug and charged him $8000 for a replacement. Another good day.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Customer came in today with his 2014 Whatever for an oil change and 'B' service. We cross-threaded the aluminum oil pan when replacing the drain plug and charged him $8000 for a replacement. Another good day.

Customer came in with his M/S/AMG whatever for an oil change. First step in service manual reads "remove engine" (which requires a special tool from the manufacturer)...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 248 days!)

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Powerlurker posted:

Customer came in with his M/S/AMG whatever for an oil change. First step in service manual reads "remove engine" (which requires a special tool from the manufacturer)...

..but enough about Germany. How long until this reads like GM? The NEW-NEW incarnation? :ohdear:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Viggen posted:

..but enough about Germany. How long until this reads like GM? The NEW-NEW incarnation? :ohdear:

No, no. He said "high line luxury brand" and they stopped selling Oldsmobiles years ago!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No, no. He said "high line luxury brand" and they stopped selling Oldsmobiles years ago!

They've still got Caddy and and... :suicide:

I almost made an Oldsmobuick joke but they've been dead for several years now. :corsair:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Viggen posted:

"our midday conex box of ignition switches arrived, but the driver for the morning delivery had not yet removed it and we were out of space to put both. Guess no one is getting their recalls done till tomorrow"

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
On second thought, I might just post pictures of fancy cars James Woods style.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

"our midday conex box of ignition switches arrived, but the driver for the morning delivery had not yet removed it and we were out of space to put both. Guess no one is getting their recalls done till tomorrow"

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

Half the city perished in the fires, but we saved having to pay 4% on the recalls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tell me the Ferrari dealer in the Wynn has a service department.

Make our dreams happen.

• Locked thread