Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I drew a Hitlerstache and a nazi hat on a byodood for the World of Tanks thread. Someone from the goon clan painted it in Captain Planet colours and bought it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

I'm guessing :viconia: is referring to the Baldur's Gate character but... why does it exist?

It looks to be a splendid moon. Use it when wishing another poster a good night.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

:viconia: Good night, Ensign Expendable.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I want to know what the square below your avatar is supposed to show up as so bad

Edit: Used my phone it's v cool

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A non-goon asked me a question. Something I never really thought about too much.

But it's actually an interesting question, because it's about the biggest in-joke of the entire site.

Why did Lowtax name this website Something Awful? Is there any meaning to the name other than the most obvious?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why did Lowtax name this website Something Awful? Is there any meaning to the name other than the most obvious?

From Lowtax's AMA Running an Internet website and forum!:

Silva posted:

Where did the name "Something Awful" come from? Is there any history as to how you named your website?

formr CAT STEVENS posted:

i think it was from back when lowtax was working at planet quake and they would play this game with dinosaurs and the t-rex made this horrible screeching noise and somebody said that game sure is "something awful". something like that.

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, it was Pharcyde who played some dinosaur game in the office with Radium and I.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

A non-goon asked me a question. Something I never really thought about too much.

But it's actually an interesting question, because it's about the biggest in-joke of the entire site.

There really isn't much meaning to it. Like was said it was from back in the Quake days. Lowtax reviewed things like really terrible Quake levels and if memory serves in its earliest days, waaaaay before it became famous, the site was basically just a conglomeration of terrible levels, Lowtax making fun of bad things, and links to the worst crap on the internet. The Awful Link of the Day is actually an ancient, ancient site tradition as far as the internet goes. There really isn't some major, great story behind the name and it stuck because it fit. The site has continually basically been "bad things are bad and we will make fun of them."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the SA grenade logo is placeholder art that never got changed according to ancient lore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Can't wait for the official logo unveiling!

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Snowy posted:

Can't wait for the official logo unveiling!

That would probably blow up in their faces.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Could someone please tell me what this smiley is supposed to mean, and what its code 'henget' means? :henget:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Could someone please tell me what this smiley is supposed to mean, and what its code 'henget' means? :henget:

He's getting a hen. Seems pretty explanatory to me.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Carbon dioxide posted:

it means your exact post, really

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seshoho Cian posted:

He's getting a hen. Seems pretty explanatory to me.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

:mrwhite:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

I'm guessing :viconia: is referring to the Baldur's Gate character but... why does it exist?

viconia was a a mod, and she had a moon shaped face

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope you assholes like this, because making it crashed Inkscape 50 goddamn times. And then I had to find a place to host it, which required figuring out how to read German because nobody in the English speaking world believes in images larger than 2048x2048.

http://abload.de/img/image299327ch3.png

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I like it but now make an animated version where each portrait rapidly switches between styles. :twisted:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KillHour posted:

I hope you assholes like this, because making it crashed Inkscape 50 goddamn times. And then I had to find a place to host it, which required figuring out how to read German because nobody in the English speaking world believes in images larger than 2048x2048.

You're my new best friend. I'm taking this to a print shop next week and putting it on my wall, and that's no joke.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I, too, am not joking. I was looking for the pic earlier this week in the request pictures thread. What size are you going to make? I have no idea as to the scale of this thing. I also assume you'll print onto canvas for the free anti-aliasing and better look?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KillHour posted:

Crashed the Awful app when I tried to view it inline, 10/10 would download again

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
No lie, that's a thing of beauty.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I just felt like I should save this for posterity to help answer a potential question in the future:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pneub posted:

I just felt like I should save this for posterity to help answer a potential question in the future:

My least favorite gbs trend.jpg

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
What's the story behind :peanut:? It's cute!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

What's the story behind :peanut:? It's cute!

i am he posted:

This is an image that forums user Peanut and the Gang embedded in some of his posts, being a generally cheerful guy. Nobody knows who bought it though!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

KillHour posted:

This makes me happy. You're a good person.

BBJoey posted:

I like it but now make an animated version where each portrait rapidly switches between styles. :twisted:
Yes please.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wasn't happy with how I inadvertently blurred the edges, so I redid it. :suicide:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/328/1/b/getout_huge2_by_killhour-d87l4xf.png

DA is literally the only site I could find that would let me upload an image this large. :saddowns:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:smilie:

People paid money for that? :stare:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

How stupid does something have to be before goons don't toss money at it?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

KillHour posted:

I wasn't happy with how I inadvertently blurred the edges, so I redid it. :suicide:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/328/1/b/getout_huge2_by_killhour-d87l4xf.png

DA is literally the only site I could find that would let me upload an image this large. :saddowns:

Have you tried xomf? They have a 50MB image size limit

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

A Bystander posted:

The stupider it is, the funnier someone will think it is to throw money at. See also: Potato Salad Kickstarter.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

BYOB

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

A Bystander posted:

Stupider than Doobie Dogs, at least.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Have you tried xomf? They have a 50MB image size limit

or pomf.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A Bystander posted:

There are a fair number of goons that make enough money that throwing a few :10bux: at random forums goodies is a negligible expense and such things amuse them and pay Lowtax's rent in the process. I kind of figure that's the other side of it; as in "thank you Lowtax for maintaining this wonderful forum! Have some cash!"

I mean I'm not going to lie, if I was making $80,000 a year and had no real financial responsibilities beyond rent and utilities I'd probably buy piles of stupid poo poo too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

What would be a good song to go with that?

I'm asking for no reason. For a friend.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
What was this about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I take it Garbage Dick is the new Stupid Newbie? Is there anything more to it than that?