Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

hubris.height posted:

name for main character

We didn't get this for Persona 3 and 4 until long after they were out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I'm glad they're doing a PS4 version of 5. I didn't get P4 because it came out like 2 years into the PS3's life cycle and I couldn't give a poo poo about PS2 at that point, beyond like Yakuza 2, so I never played it until P4G came out and before TGS it was looking like I was going to wait for the inevitable P5P or something on Vita.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Sales and marketing. It's a much easier sell generally if it's cross gen. We're at the point where lots of people won't consider buying last gen games at this point. (Not that I actually think that's true of Persona, given its fanbase, but still.) Plus, Sony probably wanted another "PS4 Exclusive".

I don't blame them as right now I have little to zero incentive to buy a PS4 other than SHINY. Sure, my launch PS3 is getting a bit beat up and doesn't work all the time but the important part is that it does...if I'm patient.

I thought Catherine looked fine on PS3 too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been waiting for three years for you to patch Axis Mundi, Atlus. What the hell is the hold up?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

hubris.height posted:

by now i'd hope we'd have a name for main character

Hahahahahaha

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
calling it now, p5 main character is not gonna have a blank name field guys

smt 4 set the trend for all future megaten games to have canon names in the name field at the beginning and lol if you think otherwise

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If they just established a last name beforehand and let us pick a first name then we could get past the incredibly awkward dialogue where no one ever refers to you by a name.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Policenaut posted:

If they just established a last name beforehand and let us pick a first name then we could get past the incredibly awkward dialogue where no one ever refers to you by a name.

Thats a sick new avatar Naut-kun

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They'll offer you to name him Strange Creature and then he'll go "piss of, I'm Roger Bacon!"

Policenaut posted:

- Shepard.
- Igor.
- Hee-hoo!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
all megaten protags are kenpachi-rama-sama to me now

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

hubris.height posted:

smt 4 set the trend for all future megaten games to have canon names in the name field at the beginning and lol if you think otherwise

persona 2 (both) did that as well. hadnt been done since until smt4!

its not going to be A Thing

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

persona 2 (both) did that as well. hadnt been done since until smt4!

its not going to be A Thing

Shin Megami Tensei 2 called, they said they did it all first.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i haven't played p2 yet

i own p2 eb but i've been waiting for is to go on sale so i can play it on my vita before i play eb

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The most hardcore of all SMT, Wizardry 4, also had a predefined MC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cdyoung posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 2 called, they said they did it all first.

Yeah, but using all the default names would give you a ton of Law points.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

MonsieurChoc posted:

I can't tell if you're joking; it sounds like something SMT would do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Captain Walker posted:

I can't tell if you're joking; it sounds like something SMT would do.

He's not. It's an incredibly dick move. You won't get those law points against you if you name the characters, even if you name them after the defaults.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

He's serious.
efb

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
By not naming the characters you are clearly willingly submitting to YHVH's control. Yup, totally.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

HGH posted:

By not naming the characters you are clearly willingly submitting to YHVH's control. Yup, totally.

megaten.txt

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well you're following the rules if you accept the default names, so yeah you get law points for agreeing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cdyoung posted:

Well you're following the rules if you accept the default names, so yeah you get law points for agreeing.

It also shows you're totally willing to just go along with the per-determined plan which is basically Law Alignment's one law.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

God works in mysterious ways, those being that characters have to be exactly what he wants them to be named.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Thats a sick new avatar Naut-kun

Thank you, Nobunyaga is announcing the posts.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It also shows you're totally willing to just go along with the per-determined plan which is basically Law Alignment's one law.

Now explain why you don't get the points if you petulantly use the default names anyway. It's not like they couldn't have checked for that.

It reminds me of this classic scene, in which we see Bugs Bunny getting completely into his role as a standard SMT player, with Elmer Fudd putting on a breathtaking performance as YHVH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2reqfvP_als&t=130s

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Look, they're not going to have a canon name for the P5 protagonist. There's a system in place for how this works:

1. Release the game.
2. Release a manga adaptation of the game where they give the protagonist a name.
3. Release an anime adaptation of the game that uses a completely different name for the protagonist in order to piss off the fans who've been using the manga adaptation's name as the canon name.

It happened to Souji Seta Yu Narukami, it happened to Minato Arisato Makoto Yuuki, and it's going to happen to the new guy.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
If I can't name the main character Kun San or Kun Sempai I'm gonna be pissed. The adventure of San-san (kun-kun to his friends) must never end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tallgeese posted:

Now explain why you don't get the points if you petulantly use the default names anyway. It's not like they couldn't have checked for that.

Law Alignment is run by idiots. I thought this was known.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every Alignment (especially Neutral) is run by idiots. I thought this was known.

I fixed that for you.

Also, "they" was referring to the programmers.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's a kinda neat little thing that probably shouldn't have much thought put into it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Saagonsa posted:

It's a kinda neat little thing that probably shouldn't have much thought put into it

i think it should be done in every game with alignments, it just makes sense.

there should be dozens of hidden 'pitfalls' that can ruin your alignment in smt games that are secretive, so that people like me can't just follow a guide to "fix" their alignment halfway through and get the neutral (aka best) ending

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The next SMT game should give you a random number of Chaos points from 1 to 10 every time you open a treasure chest because you're disturbing the order of the treasure chests

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Just include an in-game full walkthrough leading you to the Law ending if followed to the letter, including battle guides for every encounter with orders when to cast Mudo for 100% effect.
Take a step away from the guide and you're locked into Chaos or Neutral, and suddenly everything is based on RNG.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
SMT I's Law Hero was a pretty chill dude who had a good reason to go full Praise YHVH.

SMT II's Law faction developed space travel and I find that super funny so they get a pass. gently caress Satan though.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Neutral path is the best path

e: still the best boss

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 14, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

W.T. Fits posted:

Look, they're not going to have a canon name for the P5 protagonist. There's a system in place for how this works:

1. Release the game.
2. Release a manga adaptation of the game where they give the protagonist a name.
3. Release an anime adaptation of the game that uses a completely different name for the protagonist in order to piss off the fans who've been using the manga adaptation's name as the canon name.

It happened to Souji Seta Yu Narukami, it happened to Minato Arisato Makoto Yuuki, and it's going to happen to the new guy.

For whatever reason, I found myself disliking the manga names even though I only read a bit of the P3 manga and none of P4's.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
P5 already has a novel adaptation, guys, it's had one for years. We already know the main character's name.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For MC names, I just refer it as P4/P3 MC unless they released a official title like Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV which is a badass title btw.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

But Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV isn't Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV's name.

edit: oh wait, I thought you meant title as in game title

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Butt Ghost posted:

But Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV isn't Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV's name.

gently caress you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

gently caress you say?

Raidou Kuzunoha is a title. He's the fourteenth person with that title. It's not his name.