Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BigRed0427 posted:

1: Are there any big video libraries of old promotions that the WWE still doesn't own yet?

Memphis was named but IIRC they also don't own Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MisterGBH posted:

Speaking of the WWE tape library; did they ever get the World Of Sport stuff? I seem to remember that they weretgoing after it.

It's owned by ITV who probably aren't selling any time soon.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think the Portland Wrestling library might be owned by Don Coss who is still promoting local shows under that name to this day but I can't be certain

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

They don't own those as well as SF, LA, any of the Texas promotions other than WCCW, St. Louis, any of the Montreal promotions, IWA, Dumont era Chicago (which just popped up on Youtube in abundance thanks to the Chicago Film Archives) Indianapolis, Detroit or the NWF.

Of these there really aren't too many tape libraries to speak of. There's San Antonio DVDs out there, some Houston just popped up but only enough for a few DVD sets, we don't know how much Chicago is out there but it seems like a good amount, the IWA lasted only a year so there isn't much from them, St. Louis has some but Matysik will never sell to Vince, there's no SF library to speak of and barely anything on youtube, same with LA. I don't think there is a library for Detroit but there are collectors with a decent amount. I sadly lost what little I had. No clue about Indianapolis or NWF but I doubt it is much. I've heard some 70s Montreal is starting to pop up but not much is said to exist.

Edit: also Herb Abrams UWF but no one wants to own that. Speaking of I need to show Blackjack Brawl sooner or later.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 14, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spermgod posted:

i don't remember Haku's 2001-2002 WWF run at all

I do. They threw him into some hardcore matches, and they'd have every other Pacific Islander talk to him backstage, where Haku would say something in another language and everyone else perfectly understood him but responded in English. It was kinda racist.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Speaking of TV rights, is there an issue with Viacom preventing The War to Settle the Score and The Brawl to End It All from being put up on the network?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The IWC was freaking out after Haku returned because the rumour was WM 17 would have Haku/Rikishi vs The Brothers of Destruction and no one wanted to see that match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The IWC was freaking out after Haku returned because the rumour was WM 17 would have Haku/Rikishi vs The Brothers of Destruction and no one wanted to see that match.

Rikishi would be terrible, Haku would just kind of be there, and well it's a 2001 Undertaker match so do the math.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite thing about Haku/Meng was in early WCW they would frequently have wooden chairs get broken over his head to show how tough he was. They never had them get used for anything else, so when you saw the wooden deck chair around, you knew Meng was not far behind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a bit surprised they haven't gone after the Montreal stuff more, given how Andre started there and even promoted there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Yeah - he was pretty active in the mid-late 80's tag scene in the WWF. His team with Andre ended when Andre beat the tar out of him to turn face.

Haku is pretty neat, and seems like a great and interesting guy, but his WWF run consisted of being a stereotype tag team under Heenan, getting a fake King gimmick from Harley Race, losing to Jim Duggan, and doing all the work in a tag team with Andre. Then his second stint was jobbing to tall fake zombies.

He was much better off in WCW.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Red posted:

Haku is pretty neat, and seems like a great and interesting guy, but his WWF run consisted of being a stereotype tag team under Heenan, getting a fake King gimmick from Harley Race, losing to Jim Duggan, and doing all the work in a tag team with Andre. Then his second stint was jobbing to tall fake zombies.

He was much better off in WCW.

Yeah - at least a good portion of his WCW run was being a midcard monster - they guy would buzzsaw jobbers and give the upper carders something to think about based on that rep.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cardboard Box posted:

I think the Portland Wrestling library might be owned by Don Coss who is still promoting local shows under that name to this day but I can't be certain

The current Portland Wrestling show (currently on at midnight Saturday on KPTV) actually plays old matches from the 70s and 80s when they go to intermission before the main event.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Yeah - at least a good portion of his WCW run was being a midcard monster - they guy would buzzsaw jobbers and give the upper carders something to think about based on that rep.

I was slightly too young to really watch and remember him in WCW, but he always comes up as a midcarder that was treated fairly well. Was he friends with Nash and crew? Or was everyone just too afraid NOT to book him well? I feel like I've heard Nash (and plenty of others) put him over as being tough IRL.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm a bit surprised they haven't gone after the Montreal stuff more, given how Andre started there and even promoted there.

Since he was in Montreal, did Andre do French language promos?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Since he was in Montreal, did Andre do French language promos?

I would think so. I've not seen them but Montreal is a FIERCELY proud city when it comes to language. And Andre did speak french.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Didny speak much English

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gar posted:

I was slightly too young to really watch and remember him in WCW, but he always comes up as a midcarder that was treated fairly well. Was he friends with Nash and crew? Or was everyone just too afraid NOT to book him well? I feel like I've heard Nash (and plenty of others) put him over as being tough IRL.

Reports range from "Would have been greatest MMA fighter ever" to "Cleared out an entire bar in a fight, bit everyone's noses off."

The truth is somewhere in there.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
He just bit the one guys nose off.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Reports range from "Would have been greatest MMA fighter ever"

He wouldn't.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought he put someone's eye out of their socket too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Somebody gonna get they nose bit

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Meng fought Tank Abbott to a standstill over the course of an entire three hour Nitro.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Seltzer posted:

He wouldn't.

Has anyone tried to eat Bork Laser's nose?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I thought he put someone's eye out of their socket too.

The story was he was ready to in a bar but thought better of it since that might get him fired.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Every time someone compares Meng to a MMA fighter, I can't help but wonder if they've ever seen a fight

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Let us recount the ways we like Meng.

quote:

There are so many stories about Meng fighting with other wrestlers, but that doesn't mean management wasn't just as scared of him. Former head of WCW, Eric Bischoff has said numerous times that Meng was never fired from WCW because no one was brave enough to do it. On one particular day, Bischoff and Greg Gagne walked into the locker room and interrupted a conversation between Meng and Chris Candido, Chris Jericho, and Tammy Sytch. Meng immediately looked at the pair of execs and said, "Hey! Apologize to my friends. I'm talking to them." According to Candido, the entire room went silent and everyone just froze. It was then that he realized the stories about Meng weren't just legends. Bischoff and Gagne apologized to them and waited for the conversation to finish before speaking with Meng.

quote:

The Steiner Brothers were known for being tough guys, so when a man is feared by two of the hardest guys in the sport, you know they've seen some crazy things. In an interview, Steiner talked about the time Meng fought off eight police officers. "They shot him with mace and he closed his eyes and sucked it in. He just opened his mouth and took a deep breath. I mean some of the stuff he did was like, 'What the hell?' Scotty and I always thought we were tough guys but that was before we met Meng."

quote:

In a shoot interview, Heenan talked extensively about Meng and referred to him as the toughest man (not just wrestler) he's ever met in his life. The craziest story he shared was in regards to a bar fight where he claimed Meng "took his two fingers on his right hand, his index finger and trigger finger, and he reached into the guy's mouth and he broke off the guy's bottom teeth." Heenan said that if he hadn't been there and seen it himself, he wouldn't believe it. After all the other stories that have been confirmed, it doesn't seem that unbelievable at all. Heenan was also close friends with Andre the Giant and claimed that the only two men in the word that Andre feared were Meng and Harley Race.

quote:

In an interview with James Guttman of World Wrestling Insanity, Meng discussed how he wrestled to support his family and not for the fame or popularity. That's why he took particular offense when anyone called wrestling fake.

"When I walk in and you tell me it's fake, I'll show you how fake the business is. Whether I take your teeth out or take your eyeballs off or whatever it was in those days. Maybe they're going to kick my butt around, but watch it - I'm coming back and finding you. But those were those days. I'm glad nobody picked up a gun and shot my rear end. But in those days, that's how it was, James. It's my love for the business."

He then confirmed that one of the most outrageous tales about him was indeed true.

"Yeah. It was in Baltimore Airport. There was a hotel there. We were staying at another hotel - the Marriot or something. There was another hotel there, though. It was hopping at the time. The music was playing and it was packed. It was during the week I believe. Me and Siva Afi went over and there were lots of babyfaces there at the bar. So we went and sat in the other corner away from them. When they were ready to close, we had a few drinks, and on our way out there were five guys just sitting there. Of course, the same thing came out. The "fake" stuff. "Hey, are you guys with those guys - wrestlers? The fake wrestlers on TV?" You know. I said, "Yeah. I'll show you." And I reached over without thinking - there are four other guys there (laughs) - grabbed his face, and bit his nose off. Then the fight started. Me and Siva kind of cleaned house there and left. I'll never forget it (laughs)."

quote:

During Kevin Sullivan's numerous shoot interviews, he's spoken extensively on his time working with Meng. He claims that on one occasion when Sullivan was a booker in WCW, he asked Meng to do something that wasn't major, but it wasn't completely the right thing to do. He said that Meng got a little upset and it was most scared he's ever been in his entire life, despite Meng not being that angry.

Sullivan also used Meng to his advantage. Sullivan had to inform a few guys that they would be losing an upcoming match. They wrestlers became upset and told Sullivan they refused to do the job. Sullivan told them that, instead of arguing, he would just go get Meng and have him take care of the situation. They guys immediately agreed to lose their matches if he promised not to go get Meng.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

Every time someone compares Meng to a MMA fighter, I can't help but wonder if they've ever seen a fight

But you don't get it man, he was past his prime when UFC existed he wasn't a young lion like Dan Severn!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I choose to believe all Meng is a badass stories because the world is funnier that way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's funnier when you think of him today managing a car detailing place or whatever he does now.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Wrestlers were afraid of Meng, but keep in mind wrestlers also thought Taz was a shooter and was going to real fight them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Meng vs Lesnar in a shoot fight, now I'd pay to see that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The guy who just kind of casually goes "Yeah, so then I bit his nose off, we were drunk" is always going to win.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Who were the "knights" in the Hart Family Feud match at Survivor Series 1993?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who were the "knights" in the Hart Family Feud match at Survivor Series 1993?

Barry Horowitz, Greg Valentine, and some other guy

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was always amused at the implication that HBK had his own crew of knights ready to go when Lawler couldn't show.

I forget, what was the on-air explanation for Lawler's absence anyway?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Wrestlers were afraid of Meng, but keep in mind wrestlers also thought Taz was a shooter and was going to real fight them.

Half the ECW shoots I've seen included "oh yeah everyone thought Taz was a shooter but I knew he was a little orange pussy, unlike everyone else"

I think New Jack threatened to kick his rear end and he ran away to Paul E about it or something?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Half the ECW shoots I've seen included "oh yeah everyone thought Taz was a shooter but I knew he was a little orange pussy, unlike everyone else"

I think New Jack threatened to kick his rear end and he ran away to Paul E about it or something?

I heard a story about either HHH or Kurt Angle being worried Taz would go into business for himself and shoot on them in a match. I may be misremembering though

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oatgan posted:

Barry Horowitz, Greg Valentine, and some other guy

Jeff Gaylord. He was a big guy from USWA that never made it.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

I heard a story about either HHH or Kurt Angle being worried Taz would go into business for himself and shoot on them in a match. I may be misremembering though

It was Angle before Royal Rumble 2000. Could not have been a funnier person worrying about someone trying to legit grapple him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It was Angle before Royal Rumble 2000. Could not have been a funnier person worrying about someone trying to legit grapple him.

Yea, Angle worrying about the grappling prowess of "Haku" seems like complete and utter bullshit