Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's also got 105 rockets it can dump directly into someone's face if it needs to.

Truly the best news network. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hey, you can't have an exclusive if you're not the only one still in the air! :colbert:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Magni posted:

Truly the best news network. :allears:

Is it wrong that I kinda want to grab the thing and use it as a rocket-firing assault rifle?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

apostateCourier posted:

Is it wrong that I kinda want to grab the thing and use it as a rocket-firing assault rifle?

No, cut a wicked promo and lure them into wrassling range,

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's height 7. Sadly, VTOLs and Aerospace Fighters can only be melee'd if they've landed.

Anybody got 7 jumping MP?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Me, but my pilot check is bad enough that I'd probably cut my head off on the rotors.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Charger hops onto a building for the extra height?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Can we offer them exclusive interviews in exchange for fire support?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'd suggest ending one hex further south, making room for the Centurion to move besides you. He has less MP and can at least get a +1 mod this way. It's certainly not optimal. I did add some more possible movements.

The debuff at the Dragon would debuff 2 of us though, so it might be better to have the Cobra somewhere else.

There was a suggestion earlier of me heading to 1825 where the Blackjack is now. The Dragon wouldn't get debuffed but neither would you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

This move isn't possible (you can't jump through enemy units either).

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't jump over enemy mans?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Orders in: I HAVE to move to 1026 to maintain +3 mod

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

You can't jump over enemy mans?

You could run to 1830 facing south east and give him the noise still!

Everyone should remember to place contingency targeting orders, particularly those at the end of the list.

Kial fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 18, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zest posted:

Orders in: I HAVE to move to 1026 to maintain +3 mod

Keep in mind if you chain activate your Supercharger that the chance of it exploding gets higher and higher. Gotta give it a turn to cool down.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I can run to 1027 instead of walking (eh, whatever) but once I'm there, what do I shoot? I'm concerned about this Phoenix Hawk that'll be right next to me.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult orders in, stepping back to 1430 and firing everything at the Gladiator.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

I can run to 1027 instead of walking (eh, whatever) but once I'm there, what do I shoot? I'm concerned about this Phoenix Hawk that'll be right next to me.

You could go for the Shadow Hawk. You'd be shooting from the left side, giving you decent odds of hitting the exposed LT containing at least one ton of ammo.

Taking off the Pixie's AC/20 would normally be a higher priority but it will be on the far side of his body from you. Also note that he can shoot you from that position, but I don't think there are many good ways for you to get up a +2 movement modifier or get out of his close range thanks to being a slow mech in a clusterfuck map.

EDIT, orders in, jumping to 1830 and going for backshots.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 18, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Orders in!

Let's do this Tank Boy Ken, Voyager I!

quote:

Overall: Running to 1828, firing everything at the Dragon, and then punching it.

Movement, mode running: Move to hex 2430 (2 MP), turn to face hex 2330 (3 MP), move to hex 1928 (8 MP), turn to face hex 1828 (9 MP), move to hex 1828 (10 MP), and turn to face hex 1829 (11 MP).

Weapons: Firing everything at the Dragon in hex 1829. Large Laser first, then all of the Small Lasers.

Physical: Punching the Dragon in hex 1829 with my left arm.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why would you be able to jump over buildings, but not over enemy units. Is this a new houserule, or have we somehow been playing this way all along but I never noticed?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Leperflesh posted:

Why would you be able to jump over buildings, but not over enemy units. Is this a new houserule, or have we somehow been playing this way all along but I never noticed?

It's a standard printed rule. It came up in the Taurian mission.

I've never used it at my home table(s), and I didn't think it was commonly used for the reason you imply, though it does make mechanical sense in certain situations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
:patriot: every brave soul facing an AC/20 on a 7+ or better this turn.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

The Merry Marauder posted:

I've never used it at my home table(s), and I didn't think it was commonly used for the reason you imply, though it does make mechanical sense in certain situations.

Wow. I've been playing it wrong since the early 90s.

...granted, I've only played it like three times.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
It is really bizarre that you can jump on mans but not jump over mans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Counterpoint: even the DI computer can't miss your high-heat jumpjet nozzles when it's standing directly below them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You can jump over infantry right?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
So what's the rational behind not being able to jump over other mechs?

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Trundel posted:

So what's the rational behind not being able to jump over other mechs?

Probably because you'd see the BattleTech equivalent of this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gonna sub these orders unless I get a better idea:
Centurion: run to 1027, shoot Shadow Hawk in 0727 with some number of SRMs.

I think I can shoot, what, two without overheating? three gives me a +2. I don't know SRM to-hit rolls so I want to shoot everything but being +heat in this thing is no fun.

What are the odds I hit something juicy like the Shadow Hawk's LT with two or three SRM-6s? It looks like I'll be at short range so I shouldn't be rolling awful dice. That won't prevent the plausible scenario of me rolling straight snake eyes, but poo poo happens :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 19, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

Gonna sub these orders unless I get a better idea:
Centurion: run to 1037, shoot Shadow Hawk in 0727 with some number of SRMs.

I think I can shoot, what, two without overheating? three gives me a +2. I don't know SRM to-hit rolls so I want to shoot everything but being +heat in this thing is no fun.

What are the odds I hit something juicy like the Shadow Hawk's LT with two or three SRM-6s? It looks like I'll be at short range so I shouldn't be rolling awful dice. That won't prevent the plausible scenario of me rolling straight snake eyes, but poo poo happens :v:

You should be looking at 6s to hit (3 gunnery + 2 running + 1 enemy movement). That's quite a good number and a mess of SRMs will roll for far, far more hit locations than he wants to deal with in an exposed, ammo-bearing torso section.

You could also try walking to 1026 and doing the same thing. It still gives you a +1 movement modifier, but it only costs 4 mp so it's a walk for you; that's one less heat generated and one better shooting modifiers, to give yourself 5s on the Shadow Hawk. If you walk and fire all your SRMs, you'd end up at +4 overheat, which is just short of giving you a movement penalty for next turn. You'll need to cut back on firing a bit next round, but you'll still be able to move just fine (with a potential bid for physicals as well) Considering how much incoming fire you're likely to face this turn, it may be worth ah....emphasizing the present when it comes to your heat management :v:

Regarding SRMs; first you roll to hit with them like any other weapon. A miss means the salvo misses entirely. A hit means you roll on the cluster table to see how many missiles actually connect with the target (for an SRM-6, it'll average around 4). Then, for each missile that hit, you roll its hit location individually, which each missile being able to inflict a critical hit if it hits an exposed section. This is what makes weapons like SRMs so murderous at fishing for crits against exposed targets. In this instance, you'd also be attacking the Shadow Hawk from the left side, giving you better odds of hitting his left torso and inflicting potentially-fatal crits.

As to heat, the magic numbers to worry about are +5 and +8. +5 is -1 mp, +8 is a +1 penalty to your attacks. +4 just means you have to run a little cooler next turn.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 19, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I have to say I'm not crazy about that move. + 1 move mod in the middle of 4 mechs? I understand the desire to play aggressive (which is the correct play) but this seems like a high chance of being down a Ravager.

Deadmeat
Jul 18, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

The rules and examples on pages 58 and 59 of Total Warfare seem to indicate that jumping over enemy units is allowed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kial posted:

I have to say I'm not crazy about that move. + 1 move mod in the middle of 4 mechs? I understand the desire to play aggressive (which is the correct play) but this seems like a high chance of being down a Ravager.

whew, good thing I'm in a Centurion instead! (I know, I know :v: )

but yes running for the move mod seems good to me. If I get hit, poo poo happens, PTN could always have terrible dice rolls. if I blow up in a glorious TAC ammo bin disaster, I'll be in good company. if I pull it off, we're in good shape to stop the Phawk, Gladiator, and Shadowhawk from existing in short order, roll up Blind Sal at our leisure, and tag-team the hell out of the King Crab.

I've got untouched armor and courier's gonna be all alone out there if I don't provide another target. I'm down. Besides, with the way the pilot list works I'll get another turn in 2019. By then I hope to have learned a few rules so I can do better!

Orders in: running to 1027, firing four SRMs at the Shadow Hawk. I want it dead. :getin:

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 19, 2014

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
I hope the dice are in your favour! Should be an exciting turn.

PTN has mentioned a few times that he prefers not to ROFL focus fire if there are plenty of targets.

Kial fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 19, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

PTN has mentioned a few times that he prefers not to ROFL focus fire if there are plenty of targets.

I still will if someone does something silly like sitting at short range with a +0 move mod, but I don't like to if everyone's maneuvering.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deadmeat posted:

The rules and examples on pages 58 and 59 of Total Warfare seem to indicate that jumping over enemy units is allowed.

Yeah, and there's nothing in the Jumping rules on p53 about enemy units (or any units) affecting jumping; it just says a unit can jump over and into any hex, regardless of terrain type.

It might be a misinterpretation of the rule on p 57 in the Stacking section, that says entering a hex with an enemy unit automatically ends a unit's movement, but I think that's clearly not intended to apply to jumping over a hex (if it were, I'd expect that to be stated explicitly, both in the jumping rules and here).

But the kicker is on page 58, in Elevation and Depth Rules, where it says basically the stacking rules always apply except for the following situations, and for Jumping,

quote:

Any time jumping movement is used, the
jumping unit may ignore the heights of all ground units for the
purposes of moving through a hex occupied by an enemy unit.

This means you can jump over a hex occupied by an enemy unit, ignoring its height for the purposes of determining maximum height of hexes you can jump over. There would be no reason to state this if you couldn't jump over hexes containing enemy units. The rules on that page are mostly concerned with how mechs interact with aerospace and vice-versa, as well as illustrating stacking rules, but the example carefully avoids jumping because of course a jumping mech could ignore all the other units when deciding where to jump to.

This seems to me to probably be one of those cases where a rules misinterpretation becomes canonical among players somewhere, and they all are pretty sure that it's the rule without anyone actually sitting down and researching it.

e. The expanded stacking rules in TacOps do not contradict the above and specifically refer back to TW p57.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 19, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Speaking for me, it was:
"Hey, you can't jump over enemies by TW rules."
"What? Seriously?"
"Check stacking, it says you can move INTO but not THROUGH."
<checks "stacking">
"That's stupid. Especially in cities. We're not doing that, are we?"
"Nah."

The fact that the opposite is revealed in the last paragraph of a two-page example is typical.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, and there's nothing in the Jumping rules on p53 about enemy units (or any units) affecting jumping; it just says a unit can jump over and into any hex, regardless of terrain type.

It might be a misinterpretation of the rule on p 57 in the Stacking section, that says entering a hex with an enemy unit automatically ends a unit's movement, but I think that's clearly not intended to apply to jumping over a hex (if it were, I'd expect that to be stated explicitly, both in the jumping rules and here).

But the kicker is on page 58, in Elevation and Depth Rules, where it says basically the stacking rules always apply except for the following situations, and for Jumping,

This means you can jump over a hex occupied by an enemy unit, ignoring its height for the purposes of determining maximum height of hexes you can jump over. There would be no reason to state this if you couldn't jump over hexes containing enemy units. The rules on that page are mostly concerned with how mechs interact with aerospace and vice-versa, as well as illustrating stacking rules, but the example carefully avoids jumping because of course a jumping mech could ignore all the other units when deciding where to jump to.

This seems to me to probably be one of those cases where a rules misinterpretation becomes canonical among players somewhere, and they all are pretty sure that it's the rule without anyone actually sitting down and researching it.

e. The expanded stacking rules in TacOps do not contradict the above and specifically refer back to TW p57.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Wow. Can I take credit for the massive rules sperging going on? (I proposed the most illegal moves this turn!) This will inevitable lead to thrown Mech miniaturs and lots of drama. And in the end will kill this thread. (yes/no/maybe?)

Serious post:
Rules discussions can be nice and stuff. But remember that the GM is always right. Unless he's an rear end. But I'm quite certain that this doesn't apply to PTN.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Wow. Can I take credit for the massive rules sperging going on? (I proposed the most illegal moves this turn!) This will inevitable lead to thrown Mech miniaturs and lots of drama. And in the end will kill this thread. (yes/no/maybe?)

Serious post:
Rules discussions can be nice and stuff. But remember that the GM is always right. Unless he's an rear end. But I'm quite certain that this doesn't apply to PTN.

On the other hand, everyone makes mistakes. Still, it is ultimately his call and I'll abide by whatever ruling he makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
The Blackjack can run to the hex anyways so it's not the biggest deal. More explosions and interesting tactics chat!

• Locked thread