Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, besides the original Lee/Kirby stuff and Waid or Hickman's runs, what would you say were the great FF runs?

Well, the obvious two you missed: Byrne and Simonson.

Really, those five are the only periods where I'd really call FF good for extended periods. There have been a handful of super short runs that were good (MacDuffie) and some one off issues or arcs, but there's a of bad FF out there..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the only core members of the main FF team who have officially, properly died are Ben and Johnny.

However, Reed was out the book and believed dead for quite a while in the 1990s during the DeFalco/Ryan run; he had actually been exiled to the distant past by Hyperstorm, the son of Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers from an alternate version of the DOFP timeline, and subsequently gets revenge by getting Galactus to eat him.

For a while, FF was beating out X-men for being unreadable nonsense that immediately alienates new readers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There's always the Claremont run of Fantastic Four, speaking of which.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even mind the Jeph Loeb run, but that may be because it's drawn by Carlos Pacheco, who I quite like.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Call me a tasteless monster but I liked Millar's run. It had some cool moments, the crossover with 1985 and Old man Logan was pretty neat, and some of that stuff carried over into Hickman's run

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

According to this guy, The FF comic until 88 was the greatest american novel.
http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mister Nobody posted:

Call me a tasteless monster but I liked Millar's run. It had some cool moments, the crossover with 1985 and Old man Logan was pretty neat, and some of that stuff carried over into Hickman's run

It was really good for Millar, and good world building in general, but it was just generally forgettable with some dumb parts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

According to this guy, The FF comic until 88 was the greatest american novel.
http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/

That's one of my favorite websites.

Just look at all these beautiful words written about Lockjaw. With citations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It should be noted that Millar made Valeria smart, and influenced a bit more of Hickman's run with Nu Earth and the dead, future Galactus.

The Death of the Invisible Woman, and Masters of Doom arcs were pretty good stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked when Ben's fiancee asked Daredevil and Spider-man "Isn't it better to have loved and lost?" and they're like "Uuuuuuuuhhhhh" *pull collar*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hitler Reed Richards is dead for sure.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Hitler Reed Richards is dead for sure.

But I see him every month in Fantastic Four and New Avengers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please 616 Reed is no worse than Francisco Franco.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Please 616 Reed is no worse than Francisco Franco.

Say what you will, but Reed-616 made the negative zone portals run on time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If Civil War taught me anything, Tony Stark is the Hitler of the Avengers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HitTheTargets posted:

With the "Superior Iron Man" thing happening, does that mean we're getting Civil War II?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

No, we're getting Civil War II because of Hickman's Secret Wars.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

HitTheTargets posted:

Also, having formerly associated with Stark but then switching sides to join (Captain) America, Spider-Man is Stalin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HitTheTargets posted:

Didn't Reed make the Negative Zone portal?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone know when Marvel started doing the creators retreats? Was that shooter or Quesada?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know when Marvel started doing the creators retreats? Was that shooter or Quesada?

I think it was Brevoort that made it a few times a year event but they were happening pre-Quesada at least. I know the likes of Peter David has discussed going to Marvel retreats to "sort things out" around the Heroes Reborn era.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also, having formerly associated with Stark but then switching sides to join (Captain) America, Spider-Man is Stalin.

Why do you think he hangs around with Scarlet Spiders, hmm?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

I think it was Brevoort that made it a few times a year event but they were happening pre-Quesada at least. I know the likes of Peter David has discussed going to Marvel retreats to "sort things out" around the Heroes Reborn era.

There's an issue of Wizard where they were invited to the Marvel retreat for Heroes Return. I only remember it because Mark Waid loving hated Scott Lobdell and Lobdell kept making stupid jokes to try and make Waid lighten up.

And if anyone recalls, Lobdell was removed from F4 after 3 issues.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

And if anyone recalls, Lobdell was removed from F4 after 3 issues.

Too bad Alan Davis went with him.

Pretty sure Lobdell said he had like 50+ issues planned out for FF, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Too bad Alan Davis went with him.

Pretty sure Lobdell said he had like 50+ issues planned out for FF, too.

He had like a year plotted. Claremont used some of his plot and then chucked it and went his own crazy way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Claremont and Alan Davis doing Fantastic Four might've been pretty cool, but not in 1998; I think the Claremont who wrote Excalibur could've done a good job with FF.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Chris Claremont and Alan Davis doing Fantastic Four might've been pretty cool, but not in 1998; I think the Claremont who wrote Excalibur could've done a good job with FF.

I don't know. I think it wouldn't be long until he was Claremonting it up all over the place, which is essentially what happened in the FF run. Claremont 1980 might have been an interesting FF run since that was before we got a chance to become horrified by him.

I recall Lobdell quitting to go do something else rather than actually getting kicked off the book, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was actually him getting pushed out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know. I think it wouldn't be long until he was Claremonting it up all over the place, which is essentially what happened in the FF run.

Oh, yeah, his 1998 run had a bunch of Captain Britain stuff in it, and until Bob Harras nixed the idea, he'd been planning for Kitty Pryde to become a main character as Franklin Richards's live-in nanny.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I'm still a little surprised his Exiles run didn't have a Kitty Pryde, but maybe he had his hands full with the no-foolin' 616 Psylocke on the team.

Gaz-L posted:

...It did, though? They just called her Kat. His Exiles was basically every X-lady he's known for fawning over, bar Storm.

poo poo, really? Did Callisto show up?

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 26, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm still a little surprised his Exiles run didn't have a Kitty Pryde, but maybe he had his hands full with the no-foolin' 616 Psylocke on the team.

...It did, though? They just called her Kat. His Exiles was basically every X-lady he's known for fawning over, bar Storm.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 26, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waterhaul posted:

They were happening well before that, at least the X-Office were doing them. That's where Fatal Attractions came from - and, eventually, Onslaught too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

No, we're getting Civil War II because of Hickman's Secret Wars.

I wonder if another Civil War will happen because of Avengers 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wonder if another Civil War will happen because of Avengers 3.

It's Captain America 3.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I haven't been keeping up with DC because it's stupid; is the New 52 any better than it was? Is it even still a thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are good and bad books like always :shrug:
Superman stuff is a hell of a lot better. Wonder Woman just got a hell of a lot worse.
Justice League is twice as good since Forever Evil with Lex on the team, and Jeff Lemire's B-team JLCanada/United is much better than JLA was.
Lemire's Green Arrow just wrapped and was great.
The Batman side has a ton of more interesting runs and new books. Including a very decent "young adult" aimed comic of all things.

e: Oh yeah. Multiversity's a big plus mark.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Gotham by Midnight was actually pretty good! I am now up to 1 DC title!

I'm sure it'll be cancled by issue 6.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

I haven't been keeping up with DC because it's stupid; is the New 52 any better than it was? Is it even still a thing?

Harley Quinn is surprisingly good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I'm reading Multiversity, Batgirl and Gotham Academy, and I picked up the first issue of Gotham By Midnight (haven't read it yet though).

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All I get is The Multiversity and a bunch of Bat books (Batman, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, possibly Gotham By Midnight), they've all be pretty solid. I hear good things about the Geoff Johns/John Romita Jr Superman, but I dropped that after one issue for reasons I can't quite remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't read the original Hulk run beyond issue #1, but was there ever an explanation why Hulk became green from gray (and switching every now and then over the years)?