Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Moving goalposts are great. "We can't do X for you until unrelated-to-job Y happens."

Bullshit.

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Eehhhh, you know what, if you weren't running Exchange on it W2k3 had a pretty good run. Sure it had a lot of foibles but in the end it was relatively stable for all that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Happiness Commando posted:

Why would you submit tickets when you can wait on hold for half an hour, get a case number from a tier 0 tech, and then wait another 45 minutes before actually speaking with someone who can help you?

It's not much better for CSSAs, even though we (:smug:) get a freebie bump to tier 2 for being certified.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Eehhhh, you know what, if you weren't running Exchange on it W2k3 had a pretty good run. Sure it had a lot of foibles but in the end it was relatively stable for all that.

Yeah, it was bulletproof. Till you had to migrate and realized how much bullshit fuckery exchange does to AD.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Scaramouche posted:

Our prod citrix environment is still 2003 and for how much pain we put the hosts through the only ones that really had an issue were the 10 that were P2V'd about 5 years ago and still had junk hardware drivers and references on top of McAffee AV. Won't be long until our Xenapp 7.5 farm is ready to replace them though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

incoherent posted:

Yeah, it was bulletproof. Till you had to migrate and realized how much bullshit fuckery exchange does to AD.

yaaaaaaaa the things I typed are urine yellow now shouting at me off the page!!!!

(also hence my caveat of "if you weren't running Exchange on it")

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Scaramouche posted:

Not in my experience. I did some reports once and (2 years ago) 2k3 machines represented ~40% of our user base and ~85% of our support cases. Granted, I'm looking at this from a backup perspective, but man, every time I see a 2k3 machine in a ticket I kinda cringe a little.

I know it's gonna suck, and whatever problems they're having with their backups can be traced mostly a mix of general server suckiness or VSS issues.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chalets the Baka posted:

This is why interviews should be paid. No worker's time should be wasted like this.

Think about all the dunderheads you've interviewed that, when you asked them to do something through the command prompt, stared at you as if you just asked your cat.

You want to pay those people for wasting your time.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: SIP/IP/E Faxing

gently caress your Atari 2600-era hardware. That poo poo's gettin dragged into :siren: the future :siren:.

:fake edit: I'm new to this whole VOIP thing, so building a system where you can look at an antiquated copper line and go "Gimme that." is pretty f'in sweet.

AT&T might not be so happy, though. :getin:

What do you mean the fax software we bought isn't compatible with our SIP provider/SBC/network delay?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Not in my experience. I did some reports once and (2 years ago) 2k3 machines represented ~40% of our user base and ~85% of our support cases. Granted, I'm looking at this from a backup perspective, but man, every time I see a 2k3 machine in a ticket I kinda cringe a little.

I know it's gonna suck, and whatever problems they're having with their backups can be traced mostly a mix of general server suckiness or VSS issues.

My phone server is a unholy hellplane of windows server 2003, SQL express, and java 6.

Just got an email last week they're upgrading the os with the latest version of the phone software....

...to 2008.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

incoherent posted:

My phone server is a unholy hellplane of windows server 2003, SQL express, and java 6.

Just got an email last week they're upgrading the os with the latest version of the phone software....

...to 2008.

Man, I've seen dozens of servers like this. They're usually awful to deal with. I've lost track of how many support cases we can trace to these things running out of some resource, be it memory, disk space, or whatever.

I feel your pain, man. :(

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I built a script to automate a TON of router subint configs we're pushing over the next year. Just a basic WPF find & replace on a template. It doesn't save THAT much time but it makes it a lot less tedious, every one of them has 8 /28 subints, with the script you only have to put in the /24 they're all part of. I got cocky and figured I'd roll the switch configs with it too. It's just one vlan int and an ip default-gateway, might as well, right?

poo poo pissing me off: I was tired when I made the template and used the same variable for the switch vlan int and the ip default-gateway address. We've only sent out 30 router / switch sets :cry: At least our sub is getting good experience building rollovers

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
No I don't want a whitepaper. I'm sick of hearing about them. :fuckoff:

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 25, 2014

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I work for a large ISP doing mostly second-level support. At one point in the past, our users could 'partner' with another large company through us for email service. We still have approx 1 million people on that partnership.

We've been advised that, due to an encryption mismatch between our servers and theirs, transactions will no longer propagate between the two systems. This means that anyone who changes their password or attempts to create a new user will no longer be able to access their account because it will knock it out of sync. Their side is "meeting industry standards", so they won't change. My company has made it clear that the system will not be upgraded to resolve the issue. For contractual reasons, we aren't supposed to recommend that users migrate off of that service back to ours.

Current process is to advise users that there's an issue and we're working on it. The fact that this leaves them completely unable to use their email and that we aren't going to be fixing it is to be left out of the conversation.

Yay... :(

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Varkk posted:

You must work with the Government.

My favourite is when you have one website from one part of a Govt ministry requires the latest version of IE to display properly. Then another website from another section of the same ministry requires IE not be newer than version 8. Compatibility mode doesn't always work.
Yay healthcare IT.

Oh I wish. Manufacturing.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
This @mefax.com spamming is getting mighty annoying. We had 1100 messages go through SpamSoap to over 100 clients today... must be a huge blitz campaign. No word on what the payload is but it does look awfully similar to CryptoWall.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Currently - the braindeadery of including files that have nothing to do with project / will not work on the given project, and then complaining that it doesn't work.

Some background - we have core files, and then we have distribution files that can either work with the core, or work instead of core. So we end with situation that a person will copy one custom file from one project to other project without even trying to determine if it is needed, or not, or what kind of adjustments need to be done. And it's always - I don't know anything, I didn't do anything...

I seriously need to start looking for new job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stupid wiring. Extension cords leading to power strips. We're installing new furniture and the owners blew a nut because I spent a couple thousand to have electricians come in and do this the right way.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
gently caress you, AT&T.

911 isn't working. They see it on their end. They don't know what changed. I had the distinction of eating the verbal barrage of 9 employees who got to see someone crack their head open on the floor and couldn't call emergency services.

Sure, they didn't have the wherewithal to grab a cell phone and that issue was communicated to them quite clearly. But still, this isn't a tinker-toys "My monitor is fuzzy" kind of problem, AT&T. Fix it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. You got a legal department? Bring them in now.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Our infosec guy pissed the government off so much we are under the microscope for anything we do. (because we are a 'secure environment')

To the point where I can't even re-locate a broadband line without someone signing off on it.

I'm stuck between the head of IT who is trying to pick up the pieces and appease the government and my regular boss who has staff complaining left right and centre because we can't deploy any systems that are actually useful.

time to stir the pot!

Griffon
May 14, 2003

incoherent posted:

RIP equallogic support. You were the only good thing from dell.

I've always had good service with Dell gold support.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm looking to maybe buy a used Thinkpad X-series, probably an X230. I really want the nice IPS monitor and not the bleh TN one, but unfortunately they're the same resolution, so it's hard to tell them apart in the ads.

Luckily, Lenovo being Lenovo, you can look up the serial number of any of their products online and find the exact hardware specifications, including FRU numbers for all the parts. So I've taken to asking sellers to provide me the serial number so I can look it up.

But now this seller is really goddamn adamant that I absolutely have to come see his laptop in person, because "everyone knows you can't tell which screen it is from the serial number, you can only look up the warranty status, you have to look at it, it's really nice".

Goddammit, you ignorant gently caress, don't try to school me on something you know literally nothing about. I made a living buying, supporting and repairing IBM/Lenovo laptops for years, I know this poo poo :argh:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Nine times out of ten they do know what you're talking about but they're playing dumb because they know they have the version you don't want and they're hoping that making you come and look at it in person will make you think "gently caress it I might as well buy it now I'm here".

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
gently caress you, AT&T.

Still no 911. "Maybe remove some headers, we don't need them."? Are you kidding?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seriously, get your lawyers on it. They've had long enough.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... the Googles are broken.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress you, AT&T.

Still no 911. "Maybe remove some headers, we don't need them."? Are you kidding?

Is there any chance this could be related to the port you posted about back in june? Has your company made successful 911 test/actual calls since then? If AT&T keeps stonewalling, let them know you'll be filing a complaint with your state's PUC/equivalent, or AG, as nonworking 911 tends to be a high priority.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

gently caress you, AT&T.

So what headers are they talking about? Is this SIP? Do they see incoming messages from you? You said that 911 calls route to an IR that determines where the caller is. What is the call path?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

chrisf posted:

Is there any chance this could be related to the port you posted about back in june? Has your company made successful 911 test/actual calls since then?

You know, that's a good point. I tested when the trunk was initially built, and since then there's been no 911 usage.

It doesn't excuse the fact that all my trunks use the same hardware with the same configuration (gateway IPs notwithstanding), and numbers were ported to those trunks, too.

:fake edit: Just got an engineer that saw our identical trunks, most working, one not. There's hope.

:edit:

quote:

So what headers are they talking about?

You got me. They're complaining about "IPv4 is offered" and some other stuff that I can't mangle with my SBC. They're saying our headers are greater than 1500 bytes and should be "trimmed down".

quote:

Is this SIP? Do they see incoming messages from you?

Yes and yes.

quote:

You said that 911 calls route to an IR that determines where the caller is. What is the call path?

911 calls don't route any differently than a regular call - they simply change the Caller ID (Calling Number) to one that AT&T has on file with a proper building address.

:more editing:

Ok the engineer saw no difference between a successful 911 invite packet and a failed 911 invite packet. Off to escalation again.

Apparently I'm firing 2500 bytes on a SIP INVITE, and their group says that's a no-no? AT&T requires UDP so there may be some truth, but why support Sonus SBCs when that's how the SBC sends them?

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2014

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

You got me. They're complaining about "IPv4 is offered" and some other stuff that I can't mangle with my SBC. They're saying our headers are greater than 1500 bytes and should be "trimmed down".

911 calls don't route any differently than a regular call - they simply change the Caller ID (Calling Number) to one that AT&T has on file with a proper building address.

So they are presumably responding with a 513 message too large response when they get your invite. Your outgoing calls route through an SBC which would be the demarc point for ATT. The SBC changes the URI to come from a specific billing number depending on the location, because these are extensions and not DID's, so ATT has no record of their location. Does that sound right?

Is there a lot of header info? If you have 2 lines and one is down, are things looping? Of course ATT could have restricted the length.

Your best bet is to get an INVITE from a failed call and check to see how large it is, and maybe compare it against a successful call. Do you have the capability to do that in your SBC? What kind is it?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
AT&T finally got back to me -

Successful INVITE - 1100 bytes
Failed INVITE - 2500 bytes

Round goes to AT&T on this one, but I'll take it away for taking 8 hours on an emergency ticket to get me to talk to someone.

Now I battle with the guys at Sonus.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Friend of mine had a job offer for a company in town starting next week. She had gotten the offer letter last month and had the contract and everything.

Today she calls to confirm that everything is still green and they tell her "Actually, we already filled that position with someone else."

Good loving thing she didn't put in her resignation yet or she would've walked into the new job just to be informed she didn't have it. What the gently caress kind of company does this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zamujasa posted:

Good loving thing she didn't put in her resignation yet or she would've walked into the new job just to be informed she didn't have it. What the gently caress kind of company does this?

A poo poo one. Was she not supposed to accept the offer or anything?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

AT&T finally got back to me -

Successful INVITE - 1100 bytes
Failed INVITE - 2500 bytes

Round goes to AT&T on this one, but I'll take it away for taking 8 hours on an emergency ticket to get me to talk to someone.

Now I battle with the guys at Sonus.

They can't handle large MTU or something?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Thanks Ants posted:

A poo poo one. Was she not supposed to accept the offer or anything?

Who knows. As far as any of us knew, it was a done deal with a start date of next week, agreed upon and everything.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Zamujasa posted:

Who knows. As far as any of us knew, it was a done deal with a start date of next week, agreed upon and everything.

If she has a signed offer letter and it's written somewhere about a start date she might have that company over a barrel. If it were me I'd start calling to see what it was worth for the problem to go away.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Zamujasa posted:

Friend of mine had a job offer for a company in town starting next week. She had gotten the offer letter last month and had the contract and everything.

Today she calls to confirm that everything is still green and they tell her "Actually, we already filled that position with someone else."

Sue them, if that's possible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah surely she's owed at least the notice period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Daylen Drazzi posted:

If she has a signed offer letter and it's written somewhere about a start date she might have that company over a barrel. If it were me I'd start calling to see what it was worth for the problem to go away.

If she has a signed offer letter and an agreed-upon start date, I'm sure some local employment lawyers would love to take the calls she should be making tomorrow morning.