Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Emily A. Stanton posted:

I'm in the middle of a trifecta of awesome tattoo shops that are all roughly 2 1/2 hours away in 3 directions. So naturally in our city there is nothing but complete awfulness.

This is why I don't trust reviews for a tattoo shop outside of anything but customer service and cleanliness, as a lot of people don't know poo poo about tattoos and can come out with total scratcher quality stuff and still think it's omg so amazing

fullroundaction posted:

A lot of artists and designers don't see words as anything other than shapes that are filling a space so never leave it up to them to proof anything. It's not that they're stupid, it's just that spelling and grammar are the last things they're worried about.

I have a banner with text on one of my tattoos and before we made it into a stencil he had me check it too. I must have stared at those 4 words for a solid minute making sure it was correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

fullroundaction posted:

A lot of artists and designers don't see words as anything other than shapes that are filling a space so never leave it up to them to proof anything. It's not that they're stupid, it's just that spelling and grammar are the last things they're worried about.

Well you probably shouldn't be in a business that puts words permanently on people's bodies if you can't spell correctly or at least use a dictionary and/or an internet search engine.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cross post from Social Media thread;

"gently caress you heartbreaker" I think is the message.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Well, uck you too, you ucking breaker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I assume that the story is that he did the work himself, and is left-handed.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Psychobabble! posted:

I have a banner with text on one of my tattoos and before we made it into a stencil he had me check it too. I must have stared at those 4 words for a solid minute making sure it was correct.

Yeah I did the same thing with the 1 word I have on me. It's only 5 letters and I even Googled it to make sure because after staring at it for long enough and second guessing myself it stopped looking like a real word that I've known how to spell my whole life.

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Well you probably shouldn't be in a business that puts words permanently on people's bodies if you can't spell correctly or at least use a dictionary and/or an internet search engine.

I don't disagree, I just mean the burden is on the person getting tattooed, not that artist (assuming they're using a stencil). I've made plenty of typos putting together promotional marketing materials for my company because I'm more concerned with the way the words look and the layout of the piece than the actual content. But that's why we have copywriters/proofreaders.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

MrSmokes posted:

Well, uck you too, you ucking breaker.

uckin' around with my shi

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

fullroundaction posted:

I don't disagree, I just mean the burden is on the person getting tattooed, not that artist (assuming they're using a stencil). I've made plenty of typos putting together promotional marketing materials for my company because I'm more concerned with the way the words look and the layout of the piece than the actual content. But that's why we have copywriters/proofreaders.

If it's in the language the tattoo artist speaks, it's absolutely partly on him/her. Names and different languages are different, but a tattoo artist, at the very least, should know how to use spell check on words they are dubious about the spelling of.

I once had a coworker that tattooed "loyaltay" on a customer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

strangemusic posted:

uckin' around with my shi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIorwtJbhE

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqxnm6t3QMw

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

The trailer has been out for less than 2 days

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Haruharuharuko posted:

The best part about this is I can say I saw that tattoo before I saw the trailer.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hopefully the movie doesn't suck and he's left with a tattoo full of regret.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
He's gonna feel like a real horse's rear end when everybody finds out that that robot is a pedophile.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Picnic Princess posted:

Hopefully the movie doesn't suck and he's left with a tattoo full of regret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZzsBwd3rY

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Haruharuharuko posted:

It's moving too fast to make out the body pattern. Eh, I'll just stick some squiggles in there.

Tarion
Dec 1, 2014

Krampus Grewcock posted:

The best part about this is I can say I saw that tattoo before I saw the trailer.

And I still haven't seen the trailer.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I strongly suspect that it's less a case of "tattoo artists can't spell" and more a case of "artist pointed it out to client, client became belligerent and insisted on spelling it their way".

Except the ones that were obviously done by lovely scratchers in somebody's living room with a machine they bought on eBay. Then everybody involved in the process is probably a moron.

Yeah when I was researching tattoos all the (legitimate) artists said "yes I told the client 20 times that this is spelled wrong, but the client insisted that 'THIS IS CORRECT THIS IS WHAT I WANT'".

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
I think this is the first time I've actually posted in this thread, but this is a good example of a trendy idea gone so so wrong:

The lines on those circles. :negative:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

RheaConfused posted:

I think this is the first time I've actually posted in this thread, but this is a good example of a trendy idea gone so so wrong:

The lines on those circles. :negative:

Maybe I've got really low standards but that looks pretty good to me.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah I'm having a hard time deciding if its bad or not. Circles are hard as gently caress to draw, at least for me.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Here, I drew a box. That's just terrible.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
They're terrible, they're super wavy.

I decided to make it even more obvious with a lovely artifacted first google image search image.

Compare waviness:

e: bleh the more I look at it the worse it is, looks like the ink is bleeding too

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Dec 1, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It looks like it was applied to his skin by an early 90's printer.

I think the design is cool, but the execution is just shaky.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Haruharuharuko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZzsBwd3rY

But IRL

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Anyone else over mandalas? I've seen so many recently I'm just meh now when they pop up.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

They're terrible, they're super wavy.

I decided to make it even more obvious with a lovely artifacted first google image search image.

Compare waviness:

e: bleh the more I look at it the worse it is, looks like the ink is bleeding too

Hey by the 20th circle you would just want to get it over with too.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The elusive neckbear.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The White Dragon posted:

The elusive neckbear.

Three-legged ones are especially rare.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Please tell me that's a replica of a child's artwork. Preferably with a learning disability.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TunaSpleen posted:

Please tell me that's a replica of a child's artwork. Preferably with a learning disability.

I don't have a learning disability, but sure, it's a child's artwork

Jon Zyetta
May 6, 2003
Your Bargaining Posture Is Highly Dubious

The White Dragon posted:

The elusive neckbear.

I laughed harder than I should have.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TunaSpleen posted:

Im guessing its a tat done in East Asia somewhere. There are really good places to get tats in those places but in a lot of places all that it requires is you to have the 100 dollars on hand to buy lovely supplies. Also having talked to some guys in HK who have spectacularly bad tattoos a lot of times its less about the end result and more about the pain in getting them and the associated symbology. Like they didn't give a gently caress if it was a tattoo of an ugly rear end tiger as interpreted by a special needs five year old only that it was a TIGER and that having a tiger on their body made them cool. I doubt it's a gang thing but they also said that a lot of gangbangers in HK got tattoos done by places affiliated with the gang as a show of loyalty and a lot of those places were pretty awful money laundering fronts that only existed to tattoo kanji on tourists and give some gang members a semi-legitimate place to work on their taxes.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

It's the Facebook dancer emoji

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Fantastisk posted:

It's the Facebook dancer emoji

💃

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love boxes!

caramelbread
Jul 29, 2011

Lady Gaga got the worst tattoo.

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
Lady Gaga can afford to get tattoos that aren't lovely. Why do so many celebrities decide to get bad ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nightmare Zone posted:

Lady Gaga can afford to get tattoos that aren't lovely. Why do so many celebrities decide to get bad ones?

I've wondered the same exact thing, but have concluded that many lovely tattoos aren't for lack of money, but for lack of taste and due diligence.

• Locked thread