Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I am about to have about 10 players, including 2 pitchers, on my major league team. Gonna get that #1 next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

uublog posted:

Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb

42 years old and still kickin' strong

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ArtVandelay posted:

I am about to have about 10 players, including 2 pitchers, on my major league team. Gonna get that #1 next season.

A lot of people are going to ask, "You won over 100 games two seasons ago, how is this even possible?"

But the real question is, "How did you ever win 100 games?"

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

A lot of people are going to ask, "You won over 100 games two seasons ago, how is this even possible?"

But the real question is, "How did you ever win 100 games?"

I was hoping you could tell me, I'm completely stumped. I guess blind luck?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

uublog posted:

Oh gently caress you gardenald, I offered Blanco 5 years/$60M, with a player option and no-trade, and you beat me with 4 years/$51.5M plus a $10M bonus, a mutual, and no-trade. Suddenly I have extra money that idk what to do with

Higher total contract value suckaaaa

Apparently that's all that really matters even though I'm totally dumping my end of the option in year 4

e: aaaand that's my last move of the offseason prolly, so may I present your s30 Chicago Barons (after 20 games of course)

C: Julio Beltran
1B: Hector Head
2B: Hunter Peters
3B: Carlos Sivilla
SS: Les Witt
RF: Julio Blanco
CF: Edward Fleming
LF: Diego Peralta
DH: Trot Henley

Bench Dudes
C Vinny Kobayashi
Util Santiago Guillen
2B/CF Javier Sierra
OF Torey Castillo
PH Rob Dunn

SP1: Jimmie Garces
SP2: Ismael Ayala
SP3: Del Lorenzo
SP4: Erubiel Sojo
SP5: Brandon Jackson
LRA: Asdrubal Valenzuela
LRA: Vladimir Cruz
SRA: Bo Chamberlain
SRA: Shooter Mercker
SRA: Gary Griffin
SRA: Rafael Romero

gardenald fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 28, 2014

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
I think an honor system rule blocking offer bullshit would be bice. It would help some of us that dont have unlimited free time keep up.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

This Sizemore contract was probably not a good idea...

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Presenting your S30 Buffalo Garden Paths, which doesn't look much different from last year because I am of the opinion that I got kind of unlucky in S29. If this year doesn't end in a wildcard spot, may blow things up a bit for S31.

Starters
C: Johnny Hitchcock / Alexei Mieses, if you want to talk Mieses come at me
1B: Hector Colome, improbable and unjustifiable S29 MVP candidate
2B: Alton Sweeney, who rebounded nicely last season after a disappointing S28
3B: Ryan Osterbrock, a white guy from Ferguson, MO
SS: Roberto Santana, an offensive and defensive black hole
LF: Norman Outman, who had a great S28 that was not like his S26, S27 or S29, thusly I am expecting S28-level production going forward
CF: Alfredo Ramirez, a fake baseball center fielder
RF: Enny Alcantara, a guy that I like

Bench
DH, comedy 1B/LF: Julio Montanez
CIF: Gio Tejada
SS/CF: Victor Julio
COF: Ramon Suzuki

Starting Rotation
SP1: York Maxwell, who will begin to deteriorate before my very eyes
SP2: Pat Sweeney was quietly extremely good for me last season
SP3: Marvin High, who I thought about making SP1 for sentimental reasons
SP4/5/6: who goes where is in flux until I set up my rotation after SP but are Carl Volstad, Livan Guzman, and Vic Soriano who I paid too much for but he just needs to slop up some innings when York can't take a day

Bullpen
TOP MAN: Alejandro Alvarez, who I paid way too much for but at least he has been good in return
TOP MAN: Bill Worthington has never quite lived up to expectations but has still been valuable
TOP MAN: Jason Barker also slipped under the radar but threw 90 good innings last season
OTHER: Alex Perez is basically the mop-up guy, I don't know why he didn't do better last season
OTHER: Karim Javier is in the same boat as Alex Perez
OTHER: Happy Simas, who I signed because I had some bucks and didn't want to roll with 11 pitchers

CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD? PROBABLY NOT BECAUSE I'LL gently caress SOMETHING UP OR ENNY WILL BREAK HIS SPINE AND I AM PROBABLY OVEREVALUATING EVERYONE AS IS MY WONT

chutwig fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 29, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Atheistdeals.com posted:

This Sizemore contract was probably not a good idea...

Yeah you were supposed to let me get him for like 60

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Devo posted:

Yeah you were supposed to let me get him for like 60

If you want him so bad then give me a good offer!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

gently caress Matt Cambridge

wrong

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Your drastically changed S30 Salem Saberhagens:

Starting Lineup:
C: Shayne Kearns- Kearns is replacing Juan Tavarez as the middling PC/decent power usual starter after Juan Tavarez had two seasons of lameness.
1B: Vladimir Thompson - 5 points off of OPSing 1.000 last season, 54 more dingers than anyone else in franchise history, pretty happy with this guy.
2B: Nate Floyd - I feel like the second half of every season with this guy aggressively swings one way or the other. Quietly third in franchise stolen bases, although he's not catching #1.
3B: Chris Harper - He's effectively replacing Rigo Nunez and that's the best thing about him
SS: Gerardo Sanchez - Surprisingly solid offensive and defensive season last year, made the slight overpay after he opted out totally worth it. Among shortstops, he's got 112 more franchise plus plays than #2 David Gandarilla.
LF: Slim Green - Coming off of a down season but still pretty great and pretty consistent.
CF: Alex Ransom - Still not the same as pre-injury Alex Ransom, but I still love the guy. 28 dingers away from passing Reggie Russell on the franchise record list.
RF: The Gill Hooper Experience - Leading off and stealing Salem's hearts at a really high percentage, it'll be interesting to see if his power spike from last season was just a fluke.

Bench:
RF: Everett Sierra - The most notable guy in this situation, having slugged .521 with 18 dingers last season. Former #1 overall Rule V draft pick who turned into a waiver wire gem.
2B: Bill Floyd - The Other White Floyd at 2B, he's stuck around and been pretty useful every season since I got him
C: Jorge Santos - Backup C with good PC and no business facing a right-handed batter ever, has the potential to be replaced by awful De Aza Iglesias
1B: Maicer Polanco - He's left-handed and had three at bats last season
LF: Ren Lee - A right-handed Maicer Polanco, only with a more satisfying OVR to look at in a depth chart

Starters:
SP1: Chick Wehner - If he isn't injured, he's a godsend. He still has 96 health after the first freak injury, so cha-ching.
SP2: Geraldo Fernandez - Pretty amazing in his own right, even if he's in Wehner's shadow. Any IP issues are taken care of by Todd Hutchinson~
SP3: Yoo-Nah Kim - Rose from the ashes after starting S28 like 0-9 and returned to generally awesome form.
SP4: Lewis Stammen - The last remainder of Philbar on the team, and he's pitched the last few season like it. We believe in you Lewis!!!
SP5: Larry Haynes - Whether he honks it like S28 or does above-average work like last season, he's not Rubby James and that's what's important.

Bullpen:
LR: Rubby James - General insurance starter, single-handedly saved the wild card spot last season taking over for Lewis Stammen.
SuA: Todd Hutchinson - Has appeared in 235 more games as a pitcher than anyone in franchise history, and holds the bullpen together hardcore.
SuA: Willie Aquino - The guy 235 games behind Hutchinson in appearances and another bullpen fixture.
SuA: Junior Rosa - The other other RP, filling the role previously belonging to Alejandro Alvarez and Peter Higashioka.
SuB: Rigo Galvez - It isn't Salem without a Rigo and he pitched 8 scoreless innings last season so vOv
SuB: Sid Romano - Replacement level innings! Several of them!
Mop: Jorge Mercedes - I drafted 9 of these guys, someone has to be the 9th best draft pick.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I've now made just two trades so far, and signed a bunch of okay-ish FA bench bats and relievers, what a strange, uneventful off-season for me after a probably-fluky 100-win S29

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Okay, this might piss me off more than any signing-snipe shenanigans.

I made Rivera a 5 year offer for the same AAV as he actually took and I get denied. I'm all for the game being coded so that guys won't take longer deals for less money than they "deserve" but at least have some consistency to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it happen for something that's anything but a late-season signing or minor league scrub.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

Okay, this might piss me off more than any signing-snipe shenanigans.

I didn't know this was even a thing.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I think Rivera should find a less lovely agent who actually believes in his abilities and poo poo. gently caress you Louis Watson, he can be that good if he wants to

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Rivera's crippling lack of self-confidence is my gain

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Louis Watson is my spirit agent

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well the new owner in Austin is about to get completely murdered in the rule 5

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

S30 New Orleans Spirits: like the World Series winner but older and more expensive!

C: Cozy Goldberg - Old. Power is slipping, but he still rules. gently caress pitch calling.
1B: Austin Fox - Old. Power is going, so giving him a three year extension was probably a bad idea. He's been a Spirit for a long time so I have a soft spot for him.
2B: Elvis Leonard - Old. Power is falling off, signed for the next four years. World Series hero, don't give a poo poo about anything else.
3B: Sidney Alexander - Not old. Had a surprisingly great offensive season last year, he'll probably .OPS around .750 like he probably should this time.
SS: Larry Rodney - Oldish. Should platoon him, but I never do.
LF: Kyle Sparks - Young??? My only player who had significant growth instead of significant decline. May be Sparky's hated son.
CF: Robert Hafner - Old. Range isn't cratering yet so he's still useful and I love him.
RF: Ewell Swann - Not old! Hit 54 dingers last year. He's the best.

Bench:
C Chuck Schwartz - Pretty average, I should probably get someone better to spell Cozy but...eh.
UT Troy Herndon - No power dude who hit .335/.415/.339 last season, which owns.
UT Phil Gong - Don't care what he does I just wanted to get Hoss Mercedes from jeff.
RF Eliezer Velazquez - Guy who might be good against LHP and nothing else, don't know how useful that is.

SP Dee Bryant - Super great last year, now he's 40. SO OLD.
SP Jerry Sizemore - I just wanted someone who wasn't a skeleton and I had to pay 72 million to get it. Jerry owns though, except last year and the future probably.
SP Orlando Mercedes - Gave up my pick and overpaid for another art FA. Very old, but he has a pretty good track record.
SP Napoleon Dickinson - Super old, but he's been dynamite for me over the last four seasons so I wanted to bring him back.
SP Alfonso Baerga - Oldddd. Signed him for one year too many like most of my signings.

Bullpen~

Cutter Saarloos - Does not throw a cutter. Will be using him for more than 18 innings or whatever he pitched last season.
Pedro Guerrero - Very solid, very old.
Hub Phillips - Lefty from Plain Dealing, Louisiana. I had to sign him.
Raul Teheran - Cool dude who was super good last year.
Sammy Hernandez - Old, has a mix of good and bad years. Hopefully he is the good version.
John Ishida - Old, good, and cheap. Cool guy.
Jason Saunders - 7 stamina dude who isn't that good and also I overpaid for him.
Endy Mori - Old. Just old.

I should probably blow this poo poo up at some point but as long as the rest of the division stinks I can keep limping to division titles, probably. :spooky:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You know every time someone posts a team preview I see so many drat former Snowbirds

Am I...am I nasboat now??? :ohdear:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

not good signs early on with some of our new owners, between R5 protects and forgetting to do budgets and not logging in for multiple days during the offseason...

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Jeez this is a stacked rule 5. This is even worse than the one with Kennedy/Fox/Hutchinson. :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Jeez this is a stacked rule 5. This is even worse than the one with Kennedy/Fox/Hutchinson. :(

I don't know if that's true, just because I think the top level talent of that one (or the really, truly awful Dimaggio R5 -- the one with Brad Willoughby, Jacob Wang, Wally Leary and Bill Bannister back in S15) was better than this current one, but there's definitely a lot of talent out there that should absolutely not be available for free :(

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Your new and improved (maybe) Hartford Focus!

http://imgur.com/Em6WTH3

http://imgur.com/UoZmmNE

Phone posting y'all! :rolleyes:

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 6, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Oh my god art has 5 pitchers on his 25-man and one of them is literally Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb. Only one of them is actually a starter, too, but whatever, that's beside the point

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

Oh my god art has 5 pitchers on his 25-man and one of them is literally Mark "gently caress Mark Cobb" Cobb. Only one of them is actually a starter, too, but whatever, that's beside the point

I'm on vacation and literally just haven't had the time. I'll be back late tonight, so that will all be fixed.

Edit: also i want mark cobb to retire and become a coach.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 29, 2014

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Okay there's one guy I really like in the Rule 5 and whoever gets him (because it won't be me) I will give you several minor leaguers for him

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

gardenald posted:

Okay there's one guy I really like in the Rule 5 and whoever gets him (because it won't be me) I will give you several minor leaguers for him

There are several guys in the Rule V who I'd trade any 5 minor leaguers in my system for

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

There are several guys in the Rule V who I'd trade any 5 minor leaguers in my system for

Me too, but for me, at least, it's just as much or more so because there's not really anyone left in my farm that I really give a poo poo about anymore

This is what ML contention feels like, and it's :nice:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean, there is always the option that we don't take those players and cripple a franchise run by a new owner.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

I mean, there is always the option that we don't take those players and cripple a franchise run by a new owner.

It's a learning experience

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
poo poo. i really tried clearing more space on my 40-man for this. goddamn east coast schedule.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

EvilBeard posted:

If we could somehow rope Jackson, Florida, Tucson and Toronto in then I'd say let's go for it. It would honestly be easier for goons to draft dudes and then trade them back.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Everyone deserves a first-time mulligan, it would be severely harsh to keep the players in my opinion.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I disagree. loving up is a rite of passage. We've all done it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I lean towards trading back the top end players, but then again I was picking low enough that they were never going to get to me so I'm not sure how much weight my opinion should even have.

e: Martinez, Sele, and Santos were the three I had on my big gently caress up list. All three from new owners.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

I disagree. loving up is a rite of passage. We've all done it.

Well, you've never had a right opinion ever, so there's that.

It's different when someone with 2-3 seasons makes a mistake and not someone in their first season who really doesn't get everything in such a deep game.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

We never did it before and to be honest have the new owners who didn't do protects done anything at all that shows they're actually paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

EvilBeard posted:

Well, you've never had a right opinion ever, so there's that.

It's different when someone with 2-3 seasons makes a mistake and not someone in their first season who really doesn't get everything in such a deep game.

I mean I never gave back your gently caress up, but that was because you were a veteran owner. Newbies should get a do-over.

• Locked thread