Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jay-Zeus posted:

As for mods on the G8... Solo axleback exhaust

One of my coworkers has a G8 with a Solo exhaust (not sure if it's an axle-back or cat-back) and I got to hear him romping on it the other day. That thing sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Fantastic car. Car and Driver did a story a while back where they took the last Citroen imported into the U.S. and attempted to drive it back to France. IIRC, due to a combination of French engineering and bureaucracy they were forced to tow it back to New York.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ludicro posted:

Guess who had to take a detour down a country road to get to work the other day?

I only washed it a couple of weeks ago. :negative:

A couple of weeks? I need to wash mine twice a week in Colorado. A mid-week spraydown and a warm weekend day hand wash if possible.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Gorson posted:

Fantastic car. Car and Driver did a story a while back where they took the last Citroen imported into the U.S. and attempted to drive it back to France. IIRC, due to a combination of French engineering and bureaucracy they were forced to tow it back to New York.

This one seems to be going strong, at least in the driving department. The leaks or whatever it was, have not reappeared since my last post. This evening I did battle with the drivers door lock. Currently, the key simply turns the cylinder, without engaging the actual mechanism. Luckily Citroen has anticipated this and made taking the door lock out of the door very easy. Large mounts of WD40 seem to have coaxed some life back into the lock, but it is still nonfunctional.

I also found the noisy ceiling fan. It is a tiiiiny little fan that blows air over the AC temperature sensor. Presumably to get a better temperature reading. While I commend the attention to detail and willingness to go all in, I'd wish, the the French would leave such complicated solutions in search of a problem to us Germans. That way, I would not have to deal with a small electric motor with worn bearings, coated in almost two decades of disgusting gunk :barf: I'll probably just replace it with a donor part.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

StormDrain posted:

A couple of weeks? I need to wash mine twice a week in Colorado. A mid-week spraydown and a warm weekend day hand wash if possible.

I gave up on keeping mine clean out here in CO.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You need to come to America. We stuff 300+ HP V8 engines in front wheel drive cars with no regard for torque steer. Seriously, Impala SS, it just yanks the wheel back and forth on you.

I haven't been much more terrified of a car than when I had approximately FIVE ASSPUCKERING SECONDS AGO to accelerate from a dead stop to 65mph in a 2013ish Dodge Caravan. That "five seconds ago" being when I actually buried the pedal. And then it went forward. Mostly. Also sideways. Either side, didn't matter. It was 3.6 liters of Pentastar fury straight to the front wheels. Actually never mind that "straight" part, it went through the steering wheel and then to the pavement.

But holy crap, that Citroen. :swoon:

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I gave up on keeping mine clean out here in CO.

At least mag chloride rinses off with just a bit of warm water.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

awesome-express posted:

I had a pretty decent rental for the past week :shrug:

It handles alright and the interior feels nice. Really surprised with the great quality to be honest.

I have one of these and I like it quite a bit. The transmission programming seems pretty stupid sometimes, but other than that I'm quite impressed.

However, this is my first new car so I'm a bit jaded by my shitheaps that came before it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Noeland posted:

At least mag chloride rinses off with just a bit of warm water.

It aint the mag chloride that is the problem out here in CO.....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

I also found the noisy ceiling fan. It is a tiiiiny little fan that blows air over the AC temperature sensor. Presumably to get a better temperature reading. While I commend the attention to detail and willingness to go all in, I'd wish, the the French would leave such complicated solutions in search of a problem to us Germans. That way, I would not have to deal with a small electric motor with worn bearings, coated in almost two decades of disgusting gunk :barf: I'll probably just replace it with a donor part.

Haha that's brilliant and completely ridiculous.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Haha that's brilliant and completely ridiculous.

Reinsertion of the fan was unsuccessful. On its own its silent, but apparently it excites the ceiling's resonance frequency. I disconnected it and the heater still does its job. At least the system is redundant. Donor part was ordered on the cheap.

The hydraulics are still leaking :( There seems to exist a wondrous leak-be-gone cure (ger: LeckWeg) that received glowing reviews in the German Citroen community. Hopefully that helps. The leaks are more like a handful of drops over the night, so nothing dangerous, but I like my car dry and sealed. At this rate, I'm probably still several months behind the 1st (or 2nd?) generation VW Rabbit convertible from the neighbors that evacuated its rear shock absorbers (or braking system?) in one big gush.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

The hydraulics are still leaking :( There seems to exist a wondrous leak-be-gone cure (ger: LeckWeg) that received glowing reviews in the German Citroen community. Hopefully that helps.

No. No no no.

Adding stop leak products is like adding excess coagulant to a blood vessel. Sure, you'll block the leak, but at the cost of clogging up everything else, as well. Don't do it. Get the leak fixed properly.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

No. No no no.

Adding stop leak products is like adding excess coagulant to a blood vessel. Sure, you'll block the leak, but at the cost of clogging up everything else, as well. Don't do it. Get the leak fixed properly.

This stuff is different. It is made up of several chemicals that will soften and enlarge old rubber seals. It will NOT plug any holes, which would indeed be fatal! There are a large number of people in the German Citroen community that had small leaks like mine reseal themselves with the stuff and no reports of stuff breaking due to blockage. The worst that can happen is, I waste some money and the problem does not go away, at which point further steps are necessary.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
Was going through Last years local big car show picture folder my gf took pics with her new camera that made my firebird look good.

I brought 6 of my cars down for the event. It supports the local K-9 unit.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I needed a car.

My Mazda 3 was traded in on a CX-5 for the wife. My wife's Honda Civic went to a cousin of hers who needed wheels. Plus it was boring. And the Mustang kinda had an incident with fire and was sold for parts. ( :( )

Been riding transit for a couple weeks while looking for something to drive. I was about to start trawling around for a Fiesta ST when this popped up for sale.

And I bought it.

2004 IS300, 5-speed, 72k miles

The lighting is pretty crap but it was taken indoors with an awful phone. I need to get some daylight pictures.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

ehnus posted:

I needed a car.

My Mazda 3 was traded in on a CX-5 for the wife. My wife's Honda Civic went to a cousin of hers who needed wheels. Plus it was boring. And the Mustang kinda had an incident with fire and was sold for parts. ( :( )

Been riding transit for a couple weeks while looking for something to drive. I was about to start trawling around for a Fiesta ST when this popped up for sale.

And I bought it.

2004 IS300, 5-speed, 72k miles

The lighting is pretty crap but it was taken indoors with an awful phone. I need to get some daylight pictures.

Nice! Those have just about the best looking gauge cluster of any car..ever.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

angryhampster posted:

It's funny you say that - I really like the IS300 except for the gauge cluster.

ehnus, do you mind if I ask how much you paid? I just turned one of these down.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

blk posted:

It's funny you say that - I really like the IS300 except for the gauge cluster.

ehnus, do you mind if I ask how much you paid? I just turned one of these down.

I paid $10k CDN

I snagged the pictures from the ad; it'll be March before I'll be able to get decent pictures otherwise.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Found a 2009 HSV Clubsport for a deal which was a little too good to go past, decided it was about time I ticked off the V8 checkbox and embraced the VB swilling bogan within. As with all great deals, it was too good for a reason. A couple of weeks tuning out some rather interesting gremlins in the transmission (Fluid was jet black, looks like the previous owner had been skimping on servicing) and after fixing up a couple of other small things she's running great.

Besides the hopefully solved mechanical niggles, it's in excellent condition. Not a road chip or scratch in sight and the interior is immaculate. I love my dumb plastic muscle car. Having an LS3 under the hood sure beats the old SV6's 3.6l.

As a bonus, previous owner left some CD's in the stacker. Pretty much the exact 6 albums you would expect to come out of an HSV.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
^^Thats a nice car. Are they rwd?

The best thing my PO left was a 25$ gift certificate to Applebees in the glovebox.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cage posted:

The best thing my PO left was a 25$ gift certificate to Applebees in the glovebox.

Yeah, same thing as the Pontiac G8...just newer and with a better engine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Friar Zucchini posted:

I haven't been much more terrified of a car than when I had approximately FIVE ASSPUCKERING SECONDS AGO to accelerate from a dead stop to 65mph in a 2013ish Dodge Caravan. That "five seconds ago" being when I actually buried the pedal. And then it went forward. Mostly. Also sideways. Either side, didn't matter. It was 3.6 liters of Pentastar fury straight to the front wheels. Actually never mind that "straight" part, it went through the steering wheel and then to the pavement.

But holy crap, that Citroen. :swoon:

Love the Citroen, too. When I'm wealthy I'll add a couple of days to a trip to Europe and buy one and have it shipped home.

I owned a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan with an earlier version of that 3.6 litres of Pentastar fury (excellent term, by the way). The throttle response was "Huh? What? Now? Uh... OK I guess" followed by an irritating high-pitched whine from that engine as it spooled up to a roaring 5000rpm over about 8 seconds.

Plankalkuel posted:

This stuff is different.
You've already admitted to being German and talking about a car. Sure, sure... different... uh-huh *checks savings account* *cries*

angryhampster posted:

The Subaru XT would like to have a word with you.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

StormDrain posted:

I've given up on it until the weather improves, theres no point getting it nice and clean only to go down a country lane the next day and get it all filthy again.

Once the winter months are over its going on for a full on clean, interior valeting and getting any small bodywork dings or bumper scuffs fixed. I'll probably get the alloys refurbished as well. Considering its an 8 year old car I think it looks pretty good all things considered.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

masterpine posted:

As a bonus, previous owner left some CD's in the stacker. Pretty much the exact 6 albums you would expect to come out of an HSV.

That has the correct soundtrack for that car

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I'm pretty jealous of the XM. And a bit jealous of the 406 a few pages back too. Still miss my 406 and ZX, PSA cars were the poo poo before things got boring around the millennium.

Dirty > Clean

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

You've already admitted to being German and talking about a car. Sure, sure... different... uh-huh *checks savings account* *cries*

Not sure what you are on about, although buying a German car sure did a number on my savings account :(

Kids, that is your Audi's engine on Audi-approved long-life oil after 160k km (with all services done!). Go figure, why I've bought an old Citroen.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

So drat perfect

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I've made a huge mistake.

Got it for my stepson. It's a 96 RS, automatic, obligatory fartcannon (welded upside-down for god knows what reason), one projector headlight housing. Needs brakes, power steering pump, timing belt, engine mounts. I figure I'll replace the water pump while I'm in there.

It runs and shifts well, and the shocks are OK. Not bad for $700.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

wallaka posted:

I'll give you $400 - before he flips it (literally).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

wallaka posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Got it for my stepson. It's a 96 RS, automatic, obligatory fartcannon (welded upside-down for god knows what reason), one projector headlight housing. Needs brakes, power steering pump, timing belt, engine mounts. I figure I'll replace the water pump while I'm in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-CPss95p3Ck#t=13

:v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Viggen posted:

I'll give you $400 - before he flips it (literally).

Yeah, my first car ended up upside-down in a ditch.

He's actually very anxious about driving. He's almost 18 and just got his learner's permit. He's terrified of crashing, so maybe he'll drive sensibly. Anything's possible, right? The car survived the meth-heads I bought it from. It's tough.

Accurate.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 4, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

stump posted:

I'm pretty jealous of the XM. And a bit jealous of the 406 a few pages back too. Still miss my 406 and ZX, PSA cars were the poo poo before things got boring around the millennium.

Dirty > Clean
Agreed. If your car is clean, you aren't driving hard enough.
SD 040 Car & Landscape meld by Execudork, on Flickr
(from a few years ago)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ExecuDork posted:

Agreed. If your car is clean, you aren't driving hard enough.
SD 040 Car & Landscape meld by Execudork, on Flickr
(from a few years ago)

:agreed: :mrgw:

e; my favorite thing about this picture is all the spotless trucks in the background :laugh:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 4, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

After this, I took it to a car show and let the mud drip off next to another avalanche that was done up as a promotional piece.

I don't think my truck has ever really been spotless and clean. The local home owners association would routinely complain to me after I moved in because whenever it rained, the amount of dirt coming off my truck would look like god himself took a nice big poo poo on my driveway.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

How did he manage Khe Sahn on loop, on the way to his local, without the Chisel?

what a perfect combination of CDs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Clean is indeed overrated.

from a few years ago, anyway
that wood block cost $1800 and change

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Cage posted:

As has been said, much the same as the Pontiac G8. Quite a lot of what's on the G8 GXP is similar to the Clubsport. Bigger brakes, bodykit, a few suspension differences, better interior plus the jump up from an LS2 derivative to a 317kw LS3. They're also fitted stock with 275 wide tyres on the rear instead of 245's all round like standard Commodores.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Holden Special Vehicles once the locally built RWD V8's disappear. Apart from a few notable and sometimes forgettable exceptions, HSV's lineup has always just been factory performance and luxury versions of the Commodore. Would be pretty sad to see HSV kits and badges on FWD V6 sedans. They're a separate company to GM Holden, so, who knows what the future will bring.

Hocus Pocus posted:

How did he manage Khe Sahn on loop, on the way to his local, without the Chisel?

what a perfect combination of CDs

I like to think the PO was about to eject them all before selling the car, but then accepted that those CD's were exactly where they needed to be.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

wallaka posted:

Yeah, my first car ended up upside-down in a ditch.

He's actually very anxious about driving. He's almost 18 and just got his learner's permit. He's terrified of crashing, so maybe he'll drive sensibly. Anything's possible, right? The car survived the meth-heads I bought it from. It's tough.

Fear != driving skills. If you can, send him to one of those highway survival type classes that catch kids up to the skills they would normally learn in driver's ed in Europe. Learning to avoid a crash in that tin can is probably going to give him the highest chance of survival :v: seriously dont look at the crash ratings for those

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Street Survival is an excellent program for kids: http://streetsurvival.org/

They basically autocross the poo poo out of your kid until they learn how to deal with skids, drive safely, proper visual skills, etc.

I wish this had existed when I was learning.

quote:

The students will become more observant of the traffic situation they find themselves in. They will learn to look far enough ahead to anticipate unwise actions of other drivers. As the students master the application of physics to drive their cars, they will make fewer unwise driving actions themselves. They will understand why they should always wear their own seatbelts, and why they should insist that their passengers wear seatbelts, too.

Students will learn how to properly use their own cars based on the physics of car control. They will learn how their cars feel and sound just before and as they exceed the limits of tire adhesion in a controlled situation, helping them to avoid accidents in actual everyday driving situations where they might experience problems.

I don't know when the 2015 schedule will get announced, but you should absolutely do it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Street Survival is an excellent program for kids: http://streetsurvival.org/

They basically autocross the poo poo out of your kid until they learn how to deal with skids, drive safely, proper visual skills, etc.

I wish this had existed when I was learning.

I don't know when the 2015 schedule will get announced, but you should absolutely do it.

My father made me drive through Chicago when I was 16. Same result.