Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Astrofig posted:

Thanks. I see my psych again tomorrow and I'm going to ask her about what if anything might be done for the ADD---thanks to this thread I'll be sure to remember to mention to her what hadn't worked before.

If you have the means and the brainpower, make a list that you can give to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Effexxor posted:

Protip for insomniacs:

http://www.sleepwithmepodcast.com/ has the best podcast to play while you're going to sleep. I struggle with racing thoughts when sleep, and listening to this guy talk about nonsense has helped 6/7 times that I've been unable to sleep. Just hyperfocus on his voice and slip into dreamland.

Hi, you called?

Interesting, as I've listened to radio plays and audio books before but I got annoyed since I'd forget where I was last time and never finished the entire recording. I'll check it later. I've been relying on white noise and related apps for nighttime sleep.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Alder posted:

Hi, you called?

Interesting, as I've listened to radio plays and audio books before but I got annoyed since I'd forget where I was last time and never finished the entire recording. I'll check it later. I've been relying on white noise and related apps for nighttime sleep.

Yeah, the whole point with Sleep with Me is that the whole purpose of his random stories happens to be that they have no purpose. There's no plot and no reason to care about falling asleep in the middle because that's the whole point. It's strangely great.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Not sure if this has been posted here but both of the generic forms of Concerta are under investigation by the FDA for not being as effective as the brand name. If your pill has ALVA on it you're good, if not and you've been having issues, it's something to look into.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well gently caress, that might explain a few things.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Effexxor posted:

Yeah, the whole point with Sleep with Me is that the whole purpose of his random stories happens to be that they have no purpose. There's no plot and no reason to care about falling asleep in the middle because that's the whole point. It's strangely great.

MST3K, Rifftrax, RunButton and SuperBest Friends Play are my go to's for that kind of thing. There's something vague to follow so you can watch while you are alert and enjoy it. Once you decide it's bed time, most of the noise has no real rhyme or reason, so it's easy to just turn your back to the screen and go to sleep. I got so into the whole routine that hearing "in the not to distant future" makes my eyes heavy

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well gently caress, that might explain a few things.

In general, if you are having problems with a generic ADHD med, it can be worth looking into the brand name. The FDA's standards for bioequivalence allow for some statistical variation that can have an impact on the individual efficacy of these drugs.

The issue with Concerta generics is they hosed up the time release mechanism, apparently. I guess the brand uses some futuristic sounding water pump poo poo and the generics just use time release pellets.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Alder posted:

Hi, you called?

I just listen to NPR.

Yes, the world's going to crap in some pretty horrific ways. NPR constantly reminds us of this. But that droning, calm NPR voice that's reading off the latest genocide facts and figures is so soothing that I nod off pretty quickly.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

slogsdon posted:

The issue with Concerta generics is they hosed up the time release mechanism, apparently. I guess the brand uses some futuristic sounding water pump poo poo and the generics just use time release pellets.

Yeah, brand uses osmosis to distribute the meds over a period of time. The only thing that sets Concerta apart is the release mechanism, so if a generic doesn't have that it's basically just relabeled generic Ritalin. ~:catdrugs:~

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I watch ,milquetoast blockbuster movies I've seen and like. That way it's still cool if you wanna veg, but if you fall asleep- you aren't missing anything.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Like Clockwork posted:

Yeah, brand uses osmosis to distribute the meds over a period of time. The only thing that sets Concerta apart is the release mechanism, so if a generic doesn't have that it's basically just relabeled generic Ritalin. ~:catdrugs:~

that seems like such a stupid oversight on the FDA's part when approving those generics

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I used guided body scan meditation recordings for sleep, and also ambien on bad nights.

Guided body scanning is kind of the best, though.

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013

slogsdon posted:

that seems like such a stupid oversight on the FDA's part when approving those generics

Release mechanisms don't have to be identical to meet FDA approval for A-B equivalency.They just have to have the same amount of active ingredient in the same dosage form and strength and the therapeutic efficacy has to be within a range (if I remember correctly it's +/- 10% but I can't confirm exactly).

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Qu Appelle posted:

I just listen to NPR.

Yes, the world's going to crap in some pretty horrific ways. NPR constantly reminds us of this. But that droning, calm NPR voice that's reading off the latest genocide facts and figures is so soothing that I nod off pretty quickly.

NPR is really a 24/7 bedtime story and is a great tool in that regard. On one hand, Ira Glass or the writer's almanac can induce sleep better than any benzo, while the bone-dry bearing of the BBC news or the baroque power hours in the afternoon prepare you for the knockout punch of those literature-related segments.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Marv Albert posted:

NPR is really a 24/7 bedtime story and is a great tool in that regard. On one hand, Ira Glass or the writer's almanac can induce sleep better than any benzo, while the bone-dry bearing of the BBC news or the baroque power hours in the afternoon prepare you for the knockout punch of those literature-related segments.

"Today in EkjhgkjghkAAREIstan, anarchists beheaded the local faction leader, and drank his blood in a margarita. The entrails were given to the local schoolchildren as a treat, with one of the little girls quickly turning the small intestine into a macrame owl......." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

poo poo's better than Ambien.

The iHeartRadio app for the iPad has a sleep timer too. The only drawback is that my local NPR station isn't on there, so instead I listen to the droning clones from KUT in Austin, Texas.

Parks and Rec really does the best satire of NPR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frChs4i4qWI

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 3, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

The Door Frame posted:

MST3K, Rifftrax, RunButton and SuperBest Friends Play are my go to's for that kind of thing. There's something vague to follow so you can watch while you are alert and enjoy it. Once you decide it's bed time, most of the noise has no real rhyme or reason, so it's easy to just turn your back to the screen and go to sleep. I got so into the whole routine that hearing "in the not to distant future" makes my eyes heavy

The MST3K stream is awesome for this.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Do any of you all suffer from fear based procrastination? My depression combined with my ADD gives me a classic "all or nothing" downward spiral.

So, I am a first year teacher. Example: "Aw poo poo, today's lesson plan failed. Let's try this other one.... Well poo poo, that one will probably definitly fail too, never mind, let's try this other random thing, ok, wait back to being distracted by a different way to try the first, no never mind that'll never work... The kids will never go for that. Eh gently caress it, might as well drink beer and watch terrible TV."

*Wakes up tomorrow morning* "oh poo poo, I never did any lesson plan!" :supaburn:

I know CBT could help. But thought to even know where to start chipping away at becomes equally scattered and then depressing.I am considering meds again now that I finally have grown up insurance. But the more stressed I get the more I cycle through five seconds of five minute tasks.

Which leads to the fifth day in a row I have meant to call the counseling center about an appointment and never got to it. Yay, another spiral of incomplete tasks!

Interstitial Abs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 4, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Yes. It sucks.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Definitely.

It feels like a struggle at times.

Lately, mine comes with food. As a side effect of the Lamictal, I developed a ton of food intolerances, so I have a very restricted diet.

Shopping means that I'm afraid that I'll buy something that I don't realize I react to, and same with the cooking. So, I don't bother to pack a lunch, and I end up buying crap that I know I can eat from the local salad bar at Whole Foods. Which is called Whole Paycheck for a reason.

This week, I finally started putting together nutritious lunches to take with me to work, but it took weeks of procrastination before I finally got to the point where I dug out my lunch box, bought a rotisserie chicken, and made a meal plan for my lunches. (Soy chicken and rice, with apple sauce and baaaaaaaaby carrots) (Meanwhile, when the chicken is just bones and stuff, it gets turned into a stock. Which then gets turned into a soup, with chicken meat, carrots, potatoes, celery, and corn.)

(Docs think that the diet issues may be coming from a GERD flare up. Also, off the Lamictal, and I feel magnificent. No, really.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 4, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Procrastination feeds back into the #1 thing for ADHD in my experience: JUST DO. Doesn't matter what it is. If it's on your mind, do it. Do it right now. Say it over and over in your mind until you do it: "Just loving do it. Stop procrastinating and do it"

Seriously waiting until later is what will make you watch your life pass by. Dude said it in The Wire. "Life is what happens while waiting for the moments that never come." Nothing is going to happen to change everything to make you want to do something. Just do it.

When I was a teacher in Japan I impressed all my coworkers by being the least nervous teacher in the school. It's not that I wasn't nervous, it's that I told myself "I'm in this already. There's no pulling out. Wing it and look foolish or refuse and look like a foolish coward rear end in a top hat." Just do it. Whatever it is, you're up to it. Just do whatever it is you gotta do, because you gotta.

The worst part about procrastination is that it will weigh on your mind, cheapening everything you're doing until you do the thing you need to do. So just do it and have time left over to enjoy yourself, and lose yourself in what you're doing, because you CAN.

I don't follow my own advice about this 90% of the time, but I know it's true. The best thing you can do for yourself as someone with ADHD ANYONE is to develop a habit of getting things done.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
^^This, definitely. I tend to catastrophize about what bad things will happen if I do the thing, but then worse things happen because I didn't do the thing, so I catastrophize even harder about that until I'm an immobile ball of panic. I've found setting alarms can help, incidentally. Having an alarm means it's Time To Do The Thing, regardless what that thing is.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's about right and I also schedule a hell of a lot more things nearly months out. Not sure if that's an ADD thing but I need more consistency in my life.

This can drive a lot of my friends and family mad but it works well.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Is sleeping in a really long time a typical symptom of ADHD? On the weekends I'll sometime indulge in a 10 hour repast but my bf who also has ADHD will sleep 13-14 hours (and then be sleepy 10-12 hours later.)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I get tired a lot and would sleep all the time if circumstances permitted. It could have something to do with being exhausted by racing thoughts and trying to corral them into normalcy.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I was like this when I was young. Now I have insomnia. So it varies.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

When I don't have anything to do in the day I'll usually sleep from 4am-4pm, but usually I'll have commitments during that time which generally wreaks havoc with my sleep schedule. I went to a sleep clinic once but they were no help at all.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

If I have an appointment the next day, I'll end up staying awake the whole night until the appointment time, unable to sleep because of the anxiety and procrastinating long enough to skip it. Then I pass out and sleep for hours, feeling much less tense and glad I didn't go, but worse because god loving drat it, I did it again.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Or if you are looking to get some bad grades forgiven....

Wait wait. This works? If I get a diagnosis and proof it was parentally ignored I could get my two bad university years and faculty barring reversed?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

StealthArcher posted:

Wait wait. This works? If I get a diagnosis and proof it was parentally ignored I could get my two bad university years and faculty barring reversed?

My school offers something like this, but iirc, you have to wait 2 and a half years before you can get the grades forgiven in full. Instead, I just got on the students with learning disabilities thing and starting next semester if I retake any classes, they erase the old grade off my records. Some schools might not accept the wiping on the transcripts if I transfer out, but at least I can move forward knowing that I don't necessarily have a giant anchor tied to my neck.

ADHD is covered by the ADA, so if you come in with a written diagnosis and something from your doctor or therapist about your progress, I'm pretty sure that they'll try to accommodate you in some way. Unless you meant "university" as a college that isn't in America, then I have no idea what other countries have in place

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

My school offers something like this, but iirc, you have to wait 2 and a half years before you can get the grades forgiven in full. Instead, I just got on the students with learning disabilities thing and starting next semester if I retake any classes, they erase the old grade off my records. Some schools might not accept the wiping on the transcripts if I transfer out, but at least I can move forward knowing that I don't necessarily have a giant anchor tied to my neck.

ADHD is covered by the ADA, so if you come in with a written diagnosis and something from your doctor or therapist about your progress, I'm pretty sure that they'll try to accommodate you in some way. Unless you meant "university" as a college that isn't in America, then I have no idea what other countries have in place

Yeah, I'm in Canada. Specifically university of Alberta in Edmonton.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Holy poo poo. holy loving poo poo why did I not know about this before now?!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
If the effects of this medication continue to remain as effective as they have currently demonstrated themselves to be I am considering enrolling at the grand old age of 27 to complete my high school education.

I dropped out of high school in my teens about nine months after my ADHD treatment being suddenly stopped due to family issues and proceeded sometime later to enter the work force. I simply lost the ability to
maintain any sort of attention or focus in class and at the time being under the impression that ADHD was simply a "I am a bad kid" thing and not a "difficulty in focusing or maintaining attention" thing I never
considered the idea that perhaps the sudden removal of treatment may have had an impact. Ironically I did not leave school because I was stupid, school for some reason despite the fact I never studied or completed
homework was for me something I always found incredibly simple and in fact in some areas I was considered to have exceptional ability. I left because of my inability to remain focused which would lead to me having
an impact on the learning of other students due to my behavior which I did not believe was fair on the other students there to receive an education.

I can not really complain because despite never finishing school or receiving any sort of higher education or training I can be considered to have thus far been "successful" in my career. I earn a fair tick over
six figures in the IT industry and have done for some time. My success largely has been driven by my ability to be over so many things at once. Oddly while I am completely inept in anything requiring consistent
work or attention I thrive in situations you could describe as "everything is burning and we somehow need to tackle these eight things RIGHT NOW". This has led to a consistent path of promotions and payrises. I really
do just thrive in situations where the stakes are high, I wish I could explain it. It is as though there is something in those incredibly stressful high impact situations that drives a different part of my brain and
suddenly I become super human in my ability to operate. When the stakes return to normal and I am tasked with every day work the ability is very quickly lost.

Despite my difficulties throughout my life in many areas related to ADHD and other issues computers were something that from an early age were able to hold my attention, it was essentially the reverse of everything
else, I put everything I had into it at levels often considered unhealthy from a very early age. It was to the point where the pediatricians and other staff involved in my treatment and dosage had my parents restrict
my access and usage of computers with the report that it increased my symptoms and would lead to further problems.

Despite the above however for as long as I can remember not having finished high school or further education and thus limiting my life choices or leaving me feeling stupid when engaging in discussions regarding science,
maths and other topics as an adult has left me with a very intense feeling of shame for much of my adulthood. The ability to return to the education system and completely commit and succeed in achieving that education
I feel would be a very big weight off my shoulders and hopefully provide me with that sense of achievement that I have been lacking for some time.

Who knows though, so many times throughout the last ten years I have had this feeling I could achieve something of that nature only to end up derailed, side tracked and somewhere else completely so I should probably
ensure that I give some serious thought to ensuring that before attempting something of that nature that I am truly ready for it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I generally don't have any side effects on Strattera, but I tried taking it before bed instead of my usual routine of taking it in the morning. Nope. I couldn't sleep at all and I just laid in bed for 8 hours straight.

Only had nausea once, but I think I was dehydrated at the time.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Elderbean posted:

Only had nausea once, but I think I was dehydrated at the time.

I found the despite the initial advice that weather or not it was taken with food had no effect that this was incorrect.

Both times I took it without food resulted in not only nausea but full blown vomiting for quite some time. Taking it with food
at all times resolved the above.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

insidius posted:

If the effects of this medication continue to remain as effective as they have currently demonstrated themselves to be I am considering enrolling at the grand old age of 27 to complete my high school education.

I dropped out of high school in my teens about nine months after my ADHD treatment being suddenly stopped due to family issues and proceeded sometime later to enter the work force. I simply lost the ability to
maintain any sort of attention or focus in class and at the time being under the impression that ADHD was simply a "I am a bad kid" thing and not a "difficulty in focusing or maintaining attention" thing I never
considered the idea that perhaps the sudden removal of treatment may have had an impact. Ironically I did not leave school because I was stupid, school for some reason despite the fact I never studied or completed
homework was for me something I always found incredibly simple and in fact in some areas I was considered to have exceptional ability. I left because of my inability to remain focused which would lead to me having
an impact on the learning of other students due to my behavior which I did not believe was fair on the other students there to receive an education.

I can not really complain because despite never finishing school or receiving any sort of higher education or training I can be considered to have thus far been "successful" in my career. I earn a fair tick over
six figures in the IT industry and have done for some time. My success largely has been driven by my ability to be over so many things at once. Oddly while I am completely inept in anything requiring consistent
work or attention I thrive in situations you could describe as "everything is burning and we somehow need to tackle these eight things RIGHT NOW". This has led to a consistent path of promotions and payrises. I really
do just thrive in situations where the stakes are high, I wish I could explain it. It is as though there is something in those incredibly stressful high impact situations that drives a different part of my brain and
suddenly I become super human in my ability to operate. When the stakes return to normal and I am tasked with every day work the ability is very quickly lost.

Despite my difficulties throughout my life in many areas related to ADHD and other issues computers were something that from an early age were able to hold my attention, it was essentially the reverse of everything
else, I put everything I had into it at levels often considered unhealthy from a very early age. It was to the point where the pediatricians and other staff involved in my treatment and dosage had my parents restrict
my access and usage of computers with the report that it increased my symptoms and would lead to further problems.

Despite the above however for as long as I can remember not having finished high school or further education and thus limiting my life choices or leaving me feeling stupid when engaging in discussions regarding science,
maths and other topics as an adult has left me with a very intense feeling of shame for much of my adulthood. The ability to return to the education system and completely commit and succeed in achieving that education
I feel would be a very big weight off my shoulders and hopefully provide me with that sense of achievement that I have been lacking for some time.

Who knows though, so many times throughout the last ten years I have had this feeling I could achieve something of that nature only to end up derailed, side tracked and somewhere else completely so I should probably
ensure that I give some serious thought to ensuring that before attempting something of that nature that I am truly ready for it.

Haha how much you take before that post?

Not to say I don't agree. I'm in the same situation with my bachelor's.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Smoothrich posted:

Haha how much you take before that post?

Not to say I don't agree. I'm in the same situation with my bachelor's.

I should apologise, one of the few negatives of this medication is I noticed I now have this strange habit of ranting. Everything
becomes a life story.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Would getting a CDL and driving a truck be good for someone with ADD?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Having to drive a truck for a long rear end time and sit still sounds to me, as someone with ADHD, like it would be loving excruciating.

I am not a commercial truck driver though!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Hahahahhaha, probably not. I love driving. My car is an extension of myself and I can feel the engine, the wheels and the road make sweet love through my hands and feet. However, I need lots of stimulation to keep my head focused on the road. For now that is loud music, a manual transmission, a super stiff suspension and more often than not, singing. If any of those things leave, driving starts to become a chore, one I can't really pay attention to and I start to make careless mistakes.

I don't know about other people in this thread, but driving in traffic all day, in the slowest, least maneuverable car on the road, with little to no noise because I need to hear the dispatcher sounds like both horrible torture and a recipe for disaster

Astrofig posted:

Holy poo poo. holy loving poo poo why did I not know about this before now?!

I don't know, that's the first thing I checked once I was diagnosed, since untreated, I definitely felt mentally hobbled. Most of the accommodations are for people with super severe ADHD, who lehitimately couldn't function in an office environment, but the ability to have a recorder for all of my notes and always have my computer on me sounds pretty amazing for school

E: Maybe I need a new coping mechanism, my need for extreme stimulus has actually hosed my hearing pretty badly. Tinnitus blows goats and quiet places have become painfully loud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

slogsdon posted:

In general, if you are having problems with a generic ADHD med, it can be worth looking into the brand name. The FDA's standards for bioequivalence allow for some statistical variation that can have an impact on the individual efficacy of these drugs.

Perhaps, but at the end of the day it's whatever my sorry excuse of a health insurance will cover :v:

FWIW: I always go for generics for Rx unless it's not offered (Ambien CR) and I will have to deal with a alternative.

Interstitial Abs posted:

Do any of you all suffer from fear based procrastination? My depression combined with my ADD gives me a classic "all or nothing" downward spiral.

You're not alone. I recall how I hated timed homework or labs even though they were due 2-3 days in advance. For example, I'd look at the assignment on Monday and panic on Thursday night for it. I esp. hate it when they list attempts only 1/5 tries to get it correct now.

Why does it matter how many times I needed to try? Shouldn't it just count if I ever got the correct answer in the first place?