Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WYA posted:

Looking at the Knicks in the standings right now... uhhh are they trying to tank this year? How have they regressed even further from their putrid selves last year?

They downgraded at center. Derek Fisher is now their coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spacebump posted:

They downgraded at center. Derek Fisher is now their coach.

I don't even click on Knicks box scores anymore. They're a bad and boring team.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I remember fondly the entertaining badness of the dynamic Nate Rob and David Lee Knicks, and now it's so sad that the most interesting thing going on is whatever flagrant new display of wealth Carmelo flaunts as he ascends into the New York Art World Aristocracy.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I love it, I love the Knicks 💖

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm just waiting for when Isaiah manages to weasel himself back in.

Then we will have come full circle in Knicks futility.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

I'm just waiting for when Isaiah manages to weasel himself back in.

Then we will have come full circle in Knicks futility.

Knicks big men will spend the summer working out with Eddie Curry.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

euphronius posted:

The Astros tanked at least as badly as the Sixers and no one cares.

Haha so many people care, so many

So much "violating the spirit of the game!" anger

IcePhoenix posted:

A ton of people also consider what the Astros are doing to be the right thing, almost nobody who's actually in baseball thinks they're poorly run, and they "failed" to sign the first pick because his elbow was hosed and he still wanted first slot money.

This isn't how it went over at all. The Astros were almost universally seen as the bad guys in the Aiken deal. Also Groucho Marxist will tell anyone who will listen how poorly the Astros are run and how much Jeff Luhnow sucks

So anyway this popped up on Deadspin. The time Manute Bol hit 6 threes in a half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45czWPhWQOI

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Philly proving they are the most offensively consistent team in the league

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B38LW09CUAEd3bL.png

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The nba.com highlights of bulls/mavs sounded like the boom goes the dynamite kid figured out how to read a teleprompter and then drank 75 cases of scotch.
http://www.nba.com/games/20141202/DALCHI/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

Haha so many people care, so many

So much "violating the spirit of the game!" anger

This isn't how it went over at all. The Astros were almost universally seen as the bad guys in the Aiken deal. Also Groucho Marxist will tell anyone who will listen how poorly the Astros are run and how much Jeff Luhnow sucks

So anyway this popped up on Deadspin. The time Manute Bol hit 6 threes in a half

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45czWPhWQOI

That's a really funky delivery

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

R.D. Mangles posted:

The nba.com highlights of bulls/mavs sounded like the boom goes the dynamite kid figured out how to read a teleprompter and then drank 75 cases of scotch.
http://www.nba.com/games/20141202/DALCHI/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

He's nicknamed the "pirate commentator" and people either love or hate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIsohUlPEo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lockback posted:

I didn't realize that. I still think you play him and make the case in the off-season either way.

They're not hitting the salary floor anyway, so it doesn't matter. They are cutting checks at the end of the year unless they take on a salary dump.

Despite the 1 year contract thing, I'm pretty sure the Sixers will still hold KJ's rights as a RFA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes KJ will be restricted.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Embiid hits it will be all worth it.

That's about where I'm at.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Intruder posted:

lol ok

To keep this thread on topic, I could care less about the Sixers tanking because they at least have a salary floor they have to meet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

There'd be no point to tanking if they got rid of the draft. Turn it into an auction, everybody can bid up to the young-guy max if they have the available cap space. Tie goes to the team with the worst record. It'd be at least as fun to watch as the draft. It'd probably cut down on the time it takes to rebuild, too -- manage your cap well and you can get like 3 future stars in a year or two, then just let them grow up.

The players' association wouldn't like it because it's giving money to people who aren't in the union yet and the owners wouldn't like it because they're dumb and would spend their money badly.

I tried to get SAS behind this a few months ago but people kept rejecting the idea of auctioning young black men into the employ of billionaire white men.

:shrug:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The key issues with this is that time at which their core will be ready is a complete unknown, and the quality of player that the Sixers will be able to sign is another complete unknown. Good NBA rotation players are not going to want to play for a bad franchise, so they will have to overpay middling players to convince them to go to Philadelphia. Talent is already stretched thin in this league and good talent is not going to want to go to a bad team.

This strategy is only going to pay off if, and only if, they hit the lottery after winning the lottery and get a super-star quality player in the draft. But everyone knows MCW is going to be a ok-good player at best, and Noel doesn't look like he can be that guy (though obviously the jury is still out on him).

The Sixers are going to have to repeat what the thunder did in order to become good, which is hit home runs on 3 draft picks. That takes time a considerable amount of time. In the meantime, the quality of product they are putting on the court is bad for the NBA, and for the team itself, so they don't have forever to get this done.

Though it should be known that I dont think they have much of a choice. This is a clear example that there is not enough talent in the league to make 30 teams acceptable, let alone competitive. It's sad that a franchises options for long stretches of time are either "overpay players and win 35 games" or "Be terrible and pray for draft picks".

KJ McDaniels refused to sign anything other than a one year deal, and given how well he has been playing will be playing for a competitive team next year.

I agree they will have challenges in signing people, but they have cap space and spare draft picks and I have a feeling a lot of retooling is going to happen in the offseason to whichever western conference playoff teams go down early and strike out on Marc Gasol.

E: Speaking of blowing things up, does the thread think Jennings and Smith finish the season as Pistons?

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 3, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What teams do you guys see being the worst/best matchup for the Raptors for the playoffs? What is going to be the most boring or interesting potential playoff series?

I think the potential series between the Bucks and Miami could be hilarious. Meanwhile Indiana versus the Nets would be incredibly fail

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

morestuff posted:

Look out Smoothie King Center, you've got some competition

Terrible. Then again, I still call it America West Arena, because US Airways Center doesn't exactly win any awards either. Still miss Madhouse on McDowell though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Locator posted:

Terrible. Then again, I still call it America West Arena, because US Airways Center doesn't exactly win any awards either. Still miss Madhouse on McDowell though.

Sarver is talking about wanting a new arena and that would probably be a good place for it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I hate the Warriors now
Don't worry, if the team plane doesn't crash and Curry's foot doesn't fall off I'm sure they'll find some other way to suck again in a few years. Just let people enjoy this right now.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Rick posted:

E: Speaking of blowing things up, does the thread think Jennings and Smith finish the season as Pistons?

I haven't watched any Pistons games this year so I can't speak for Jennings, but who would want Josh Smith? He's got 2 years left on his contract after this one at $13.5 million each and his TS% is .399.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sheriff posted:

I haven't watched any Pistons games this year so I can't speak for Jennings, but who would want Josh Smith? He's got 2 years left on his contract after this one at $13.5 million each and his TS% is .399.

He'll thrive on a team that is able to put together a Manchurian Basketball Player hypnosis program that prevents him from taking jump shots. My paper at the Sloan Conference says this is the next frontier of basketball analytics.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The best was when you brought him up out of nowhere during the offseason thread while Daryl Morey was being discussed :allears:

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's a sperg with no people skills like a certain other front office in Houston

Which is fine, you don't have to like the guy, plenty of people don't.

Anyway, it's clearly not true that the Astros somehow take no flak for tanking the way the Sixers are as was claimed.

In actual basketball news, it's not looking good for Dwight tonight so expect another Grizzlies blowout. The Rockets are getting so desperate for big men (they currently have one player active who is taller than 6'8) they have recalled Clint Capela from the D league though and with the blowout imminent I expect plenty of garbage time minutes giving him an opportunity to get out on the floor :toot:

e: Or maybe he'll play over Dorsey, whose opponents have a 37.1 PER against him :stonk:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 3, 2014

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sheriff posted:

If you can make Josh Smith not play stupid he has been a really good player. I don't think anyone would be able to put together a deal though.

Brandon Jennings is shooting 38% from 3 taking 6 per 36, which is really good. He's also getting to the line more. I would definitely want Jennings if he was available, but I don't know why Detroit would get rid of him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Groucho Marxist posted:

lol ok

To keep this thread on topic, I could care less about the Sixers tanking because they at least have a salary floor they have to meet.

Not really, they don't actually have to meet the salary floor. The "penalty" is having to make up the difference at the end of the year with the players currently in the roster.

They have to pay the equivalent of the floor in salaries, regardless. This would just result in all those roster players getting a little bit more money at the end of the season.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

If you can make Josh Smith not play stupid he has been a really good player. I don't think anyone would be able to put together a deal though.

Brandon Jennings is shooting 38% from 3 taking 6 per 36, which is really good. He's also getting to the line more. I would definitely want Jennings if he was available, but I don't know why Detroit would get rid of him.

I wonder if Toronto couldn't make an offer. Dangle that 2016 Knicks Pick, a useful rotation guy like Amir Johnson, and a trade exception, maybe.

The only thing is, I could see Smith really not wanting to play in Toronto.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wonder if Toronto couldn't make an offer. Dangle that 2016 Knicks Pick, a useful rotation guy like Amir Johnson, and a trade exception, maybe.

The only thing is, I could see Smith really not wanting to play in Toronto.

Can't combine trade exceptions and players in one deal, which is a stupid rule. I think Detroit would be willing to give up Josh Smith for free at this point, I don't think you'd need to give up a pick unless it was a super late first or something as window dressing.

And Toronto is a much better city than Detroit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

="It came down to Chicago and New York. Chicago was the one that, from day one, was something that I was very impressed with. They was looking for a person like me to come in and just take them to the next level," Anthony said. "So it was perfect. It was a perfect setup, perfect fit for me in Chicago. But then also I had to think about just living in Chicago. Do I want to live in Chicago? Do I want to take everything that I created in New York and move all of that? It came down to that."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/11973594/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-says-chicago-bulls-were-perfect-fit-free-agent

What is missing on that list is that Melo didn't want to play second fiddle to the Bulls' superstar and MVP candidate Jimmy Butler.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

Can't combine trade exceptions and players in one deal, which is a stupid rule. I think Detroit would be willing to give up Josh Smith for free at this point, I don't think you'd need to give up a pick unless it was a super late first or something as window dressing.

And Toronto is a much better city than Detroit.

It definitely is but I know some U.S players dislike the idea of playing here due to tax reasons, as well as I remember Antonio Davis saying one of the reasons he was willing to leave Toronto was that he didn't approve of his kids learning the metric system in school.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/11973594/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-says-chicago-bulls-were-perfect-fit-free-agent

What is missing on that list is that Melo didn't want to play second fiddle to the Bulls' superstar and MVP candidate Jimmy Butler.

Jimmy Butler didn't even loving bother to attend the meeting like Noah, Gibson and Rose did. It just showed Melo such blatant disrespect that he couldn't get over.

All of the role players show up, but but not the franchise? Jimmy Butler should recruit more.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It definitely is but I know some U.S players dislike the idea of playing here due to tax reasons, as well as I remember Antonio Davis saying one of the reasons he was willing to leave Toronto was that he didn't approve of his kids learning the metric system in school.

:lol:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I assumed SVG thought he could either squeeze value out of Josh Smith or at least revive his career a bit otherwise he would have taken that Kings poo-poo Derrick Williams offer that I made up in my head at the time

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Jennings and Smith both seem like straight up net negative players. I can't imagine any one actually trading for either of them. Detroit would improve by subtraction if they substituted those guys for other players without the catastrophic flaws those two have.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I was stunned at the time. I mean, when Toronto traded him, the team was falling apart. That'd be a valid reason. He was still a useful player who hadn't a won a championship. That'd be a valid reason. And I mean, It's great he cares about his kids welfare, BUT THAT'S THE REASON WHY?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Women should be allowed to play in the NBA because the WNBA will never be popular.

They should also shower in the same room because gender equality

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Libertine posted:

Jennings and Smith both seem like straight up net negative players. I can't imagine any one actually trading for either of them. Detroit would improve by subtraction if they substituted those guys for other players without the catastrophic flaws those two have.

Smith seems like he would be okay on a team without a clogged frontcourt where he plays at PF and small ball center. And also is being paid less than 13.5m. I mean, according to the BBRef position thing, he's still playing 28% of the time at small forward this season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Libertine posted:

Jennings has really changed under Van Gundy. He's playing like a useful starting point guard. Smith is somehow worse than last year. His free throw percentage keeps mysteriously getting worse, along with his defense. He doesn't seem to care.

Van Gundy didn't want the team to run this year, to teach Drummond and Jennings how to be steadier offensive players I guess. And it's absolutely killed them. They're miserable in the half court but great in transition.

I hope the 2015 draft class is good, I hope the 2016 draft class is good.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I hate the Warriors now

I literally imagine all the Dubs fans I've seen on here to be this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
4 wins
29 losses
A titanic showdown between a turd and a bucket of piss
Tune into 76ers vs Timberwolves tonight on your lovely affiliate

• Locked thread