Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
How is it even possible to have an entire division that bad? I feel like you could make a 75 win team just with late signing FAs and waiver pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Devo posted:

How is it even possible to have an entire division that bad? I feel like you could make a 75 win team just with late signing FAs and waiver pickups.

I know I picked up a team that was on a downswing and I totally dismantled it. My offense is actually pretty good, but my pitching is amazingly bad. I was trying to get that #1, but i'm failing at that! I have a ton of prospects coming up in the next 2 seasons, so i'm good.

As for this division, it's because of a lot of 1 and done owners who paid no attention. The teams have been bad for quite a few seasons. Hopefully uublog and AD can do something to fix it, but I think with the prospects I have coming up, I could be division winner for at least the next 5 seasons.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I took an abandoned team on a 13 game losing streak, signed AAA pitchers and called up two good prospects who were ready and that catapulted me to second place. If I had the team from the start of the season it would definitely be in 1st. Whoever takes the team after this season will have a good opportunity to win a lovely division.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I took an abandoned team on a 13 game losing streak, signed AAA pitchers and called up two good prospects who were ready and that catapulted me to second place. If I had the team from the start of the season it would definitely be in 1st. Whoever takes the team after this season will have a good opportunity to win a lovely division.

I unironically think the same thing about my team. Between these two franchises, there have been five different owners the last two seasons, which is an incomprehensible turnover rate, but somewhat explains the also-incomprehensible 36.75 wins the division is averaging 110 games into the season. That's a .334 winning percentage. :psyduck:

The first-year owner who had my team started 13-7, but then stopped logging in around early November, at which point the team went 7-56, including a 21-game losing steak, until I took over. They've only been 11-16 under my tutelage, and considering I wouldn't have weighed them down with all of the 3-year deals the rookie gave to 6-year FA's, I probably could've been .500, at worst, with relative ease, if I'd started the season.

Back to Dimaggio chat, I'm kind of considering extending Benny Carreras?? What a wacky world

e: so Art is gonna get a top-10 pick and a playoff spot, right? making the playoffs doesn't affect first round draft order, I think? lol

I'm gonna get two top-10 picks though :smug:

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 5, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Playoff status makes no difference in draft order. Dryb won the world series one season here in DiMaggio and had a protected pick the next season.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Devo posted:

Playoff status makes no difference in draft order. Dryb won the world series one season here in DiMaggio and had a protected pick the next season.

I don't think it could've been dryb, he won 90+ for 90% of his AL West reign, from S17-25, and won the WS in 20 and 23...

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 5, 2014

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

e: so Art is gonna get a top-10 pick and a playoff spot, right? making the playoffs doesn't affect first round draft order, I think? lol

Yes, and it's going to rule!

I have Jaret Fox, Alex Hernandez, and Brian Jodie coming up next season, and maybe Yorvit Azocar as well. My offense is going to be interesting, and i'm going to buy a shitton of pitchers in free agency. I like where this team is heading. Jaret Fox is going to rule.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

uublog posted:

I don't think it could've been dryb, he won 90+ for 90% of his AL West reign, from S17-25, and won the WS in 20 and 23...

He had an 81-81 team in there. I thought that one won the world series.

e: Season 16 and I guess it was only an AL pennant

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Devo posted:

He had an 81-81 team in there. I thought that one won the world series.

oh it was the S16 WS when he lost at 81-81 and had the 16th pick in the S17 draft.

he took houston strickland lol

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
please don't revise history i'm still incredibly proud of conquering that .500 team in the world series

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

much in the same way i'm incredibly proud of this 14 game winning streak which is totally relevant and reflects on the upcoming season

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I found this in the S29 thread, and it's still true now lmao

uublog posted:

I've made the playoffs in 100% of the seasons [Tracy Merrick] has spent as a Flying Squirrel, obviously he's my Key to Victory

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I guess Teddy would rather mortally wound himself than pitch on my team. Thanks a lot, Teddy.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I guess Teddy would rather mortally wound himself than pitch on my team. Thanks a lot, Teddy.

Well wouldn't you? :colbert:

you're gonna go from 100 wins to 100 losses in two seasons and it's going to be majestic. I can't wait to watch this tire fire

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

Well wouldn't you? :colbert:

you're gonna go from 100 wins to 100 losses in two seasons and it's going to be majestic. I can't wait to watch this tire fire

When I set my mind on something, I really go for it :)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Once upon a time your mind was set on never trading Cody.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
A new power rises in New York...

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

well there you go, at least two guys got in the HOF

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

You're all monsters for not voting in Ken "KEN TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBS" Toombs into the hall of fame

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

You're all monsters for not voting in Ken "KEN TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMBS" Toombs into the hall of fame

And what the hell only 4 votes for High

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

What's even more bullshit is only four votes each for Abraham Foulke and ALL-TIME SAVES LEADER RAMIRO CERVANTES. And only two for GENE POOLE.

smh

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I kinda wish I posted my ballot because I forgot who I voted for besides Burke/Melendez/Toombs/Ivan Manuel.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

This is a baseball team. It will win some games, it will lose some games. :effort:

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Your S30 St. Louis Gaedels, just hoping to not embarrass themselves.

Probably too many pitchers, but that can be adjusted when necessary.

Tavarin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Trey Sellers making $18,000,000 to sit on the bench

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

tatankatonk posted:

Trey Sellers making $18,000,000 to sit on the bench

and then $16m and then $14m. :chanpop:

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

It's the greatest contract in history. I got to a Game 5 Wally start against Jeff in Year 1 and it's all downhill from there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
This was a rough offseason for the major league squad

Hanson Is Coming

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I didn't even notice that Egan had his first sub-1.000 OPS season in s29

Still a valuable DH on that contract though

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

why is curtis moreno making seven point five million dollars

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

welcome to IOWA

home of ace pitcher sean cre bronson lowry

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
gently caress Ismael Barrios.

I think this team can be decidedly mediocre.

plus, Arodys comin'.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 7, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

why is curtis moreno making seven point five million dollars

Mutual option that jeff backloaded, couldn't move in a trade, couldn't afford to decline and find innings to replace Moreno

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
:f5:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

MEET THE

S30 RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6FXpaECY8

code:
Player				PA	HR	SB	AVG/OBP/SLG
Barker, Elston			616	26	26	313/385/545 (CLE)
Cardona, Kurt			580     19	18	233/300/398
Carreras, Benny			516     2	18	279/359/315
Fassero, Bob			555     20	1	293/382/459
Forrest Fire, Don loving	215	1	2	227/298/268
Gomez, Luis			590	44	0	288/339/576
Hallman, Pat			686	34	1	262/338/467
Lopez, Al			619	8	13	236/321/314 (STL)
Masao, Dennis			301	7	7	255/322/387
Merced, Gio			485	28	0	357/435/652 (CH1 AAA)
Merrick, Tracy			201	7	0	240/318/380
Mendez, Alex			535	21	3	346/471/551 the AL MVP of my heart
Santos, Jorge			631	16	19	288/355/431 (POR)
Wise, Eric			636	13	25	278/330/414

code:
Player			IP	SO	BB	OAV	ERA	WHIP
Arcia, Enrique		81.0	60	16	.235	3.67	1.09
Dotel, Al		144.1	121	38	.194	2.24	0.98
Drew, Jerry		73.0	54	17	.268	4.93	1.29
Johnson, Renyel		85.0	54	22	.269	3.81	1.28
Lopez, David		107.2	78	43	.259	4.51	1.39
McKnight, Brett		71.2	44	22	.221	3.14	1.13 (PIT)
Morandini, Chip		190.2	147	68	.251	3.30	1.32
Nixon, Max		48.2	39	18	.250	4.07	1.36 (JAC)
Perez, Damaso		230.1	170	62	.230	2.50	1.12
Silva, Francisco	59.1	41	27	.313	5.92	1.79
Walsh, Cla		157.2	158	43	.199	2.34	0.99
This is probably the least turnover I've ever had from one season to the next, but apparently something worked last season to get me to 100 wins. I think one of this team's biggest strengths is depth and versatility; in the case of injury, ineffectiveness, durability issues, or to play to the weaknesses of an opponent, I can move players as needed and still be well off.

The addition of Barker, thanks to the successful Julian Melendez Reclamation Project, hopefully provides another hitter to love with Mendez, Gomez, and sometimes Fassero. Hallman suffered a significant decline in performance last season, but still hit 34 homers with an .800+ OPS and was able to play more regularly than most anyone else. Plus, declining contract values make it a lot easier to work with. Lopez becomes the new Reclamation Project, albeit one I'm putting a lot more years and money into believing, but along with Carreras, Cardona (he of the nearly 20-20 season), and Gold Glove Third Baseman Wise, he will at the very least provide plus defense. I signed Santos to a one-year deal like two days ago really just as insurance, and to not have to play Cardona everyday again or Masao in CF regularly. Hey, maybe this will be the year I finally give Merrick enough PT!

The rotation, as has become the norm by now, will be led by Perez and Walsh being awesome, followed by a more-than-capable Morandini and Arcia, who had a nice rookie year before he imploded in relief in game 4 of the play-in series. Drew is returning from arm surgery and is not as good as he used to be, so in rare times when I need a fifth starter, I'll probably alternate between him, Johnson, and/or 15-game-winner Lopez. I spent in FA to improve the bullpen, even though I know it will still be bad (4 years for Nixon lol) but Silva seemingly forgot how to pitch in the wake of his elbow surgery like three seasons ago. But at least Dotel will still own and McKnight is only on a one-year deal.

I'm incredibly fearful of scrotos's team this season, and I really believe that he'll do what I could only do half of and end Jeff's reign. But I could see myself losing in the wild card round again to a team that's not actually better than mine.

:effort:

uublog fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 7, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

lol of course I forgot to change my pitch counts and rest settings

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So hey, I am the proud owner of Tony Feliz

My stupid scouting is so terrible that it said he was 18, not 20. Who cares, he's still going to be pretty good, and much better than anything i'm getting in the draft.

Edit: where should I put him? AA or AAA?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
162-0!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

Mutual option that jeff backloaded, couldn't move in a trade, couldn't afford to decline and find innings to replace Moreno

Could have moved it in a trade, the innings are closer to the reason. I looked at 1y/6m as slight positive value, and didn't project to urgently need the money since I was entering the offseason with a ton already, didn't come in with a lot of holes (welp), and didn't like maxing Creek. Also thought there was a chance I'd move a pitcher so it protected me on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Wally Leary for AL Cy Young

• Locked thread