Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I better not be the only one of you nerds looking forward to some righteous monster crushing all day Tuesday when Dungeonmans is formally released!!!

Also, someone teach me how to Sil. I can normally beat a roguelike after a few weeks, 2 months tops, but Sil just repeatedly beats my face in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Lord Windy posted:

More seriously, I think I might just do my own '7DRL' starting soon. I'm on Holidays so it could be fun.

You never know where that rabbit hole will take you...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Happylisk posted:

Also, someone teach me how to Sil. I can normally beat a roguelike after a few weeks, 2 months tops, but Sil just repeatedly beats my face in.
People like you make me feel embarrassed about myself. I have never beaten any roguelike, ten years of playing them regardless.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Happylisk posted:

I better not be the only one of you nerds looking forward to some righteous monster crushing all day Tuesday when Dungeonmans is formally released!!!

After I finish Sproggiwood, Dungeonmans is next in my crosshairs. Other than people in this thread saying that it's good I dunno much about it, so I'm anticipating lots of pleasant surprises.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Happylisk posted:

Nah, you're not. I finally got around to grabbing a copy after ogling the game since the days of the summer preview build. Having lots of fun so far!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Happylisk posted:

I can semi-consistantly get to the final floor, if not necessarily get past it. How deep do you normally get, what typically kills you?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Serephina posted:

I can semi-consistantly get to the final floor, if not necessarily get past it. How deep do you normally get, what typically kills you?

I typically splat 6-8 floors in. Undead and invisible stuff gives me a lot of trouble. I've been running melee/evasion elves.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bogart posted:

> You see before you ZIGGY STARDUST.

> ZIGGY STARDUST plays guitar.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Happylisk posted:

I typically splat 6-8 floors in. Undead and invisible stuff gives me a lot of trouble. I've been running melee/evasion elves.

So about 300-400ft. That's where things start to get fun :D

debo is a much better player than I, and he wrote a newbie guide optimised for the early game: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=75832&postcount=3
The artistry/smithing start is good for getting a lot of evasion/protection for a bargain xp investment. Might be a bit too early for what's killing you though.

Builing on what debo posted: skip 250'. It's the natural depth of orc archers and violet molds, and it's just not worth the grief. At around 600' shadow monsters are EVERYWHERE and will eat your face (this might be what's killing you, alongside Sulrakos) Consider having a way to easily get 5+ light on demand. Good ways include song of the trees for +2, or the super secret tech of "floor lanterns" where you drop a lesser jewel or feanorn latern and it illuminates from the floor, and stacks. Sulrakos are invisible, but tough and not hard hitting. One of; Helm of see invis, the 'see invis' perception skill, or an arse-ton of raw perception, are flat-out required to not get cornered by them. Don't go shopping for skills early (unless smithing, and even then don't overcommit). Spending 500 here for Power and 1000 there for follow-though seems fun, but Sil has a lot of awesome drops that can require you to alter your playstyle to use. I personally don't commit to Power v Finesse v whatever until around 500+ feet where I absolutely need to. Speaking thereof, early game meele/evasion and fighting 1v1 is king, but at midgame you need a 'trick', which might be as simple as Flanking or as complicated as polearm mastery + knockback + Focused Attack, to give you an edge as the numbers on the monsters go up faster than yours. [Dedicated builds can reverse this by 900' tho]

As debo said, you just need to die a lot see see what nasty poo poo Sil throws at you midgame :P

That help?

Edit: oh, Undead. Most wights and stuff are guarding items and don't like to chase, and they're the ones with nasty draining attacks. But Shadows in particular are both invis AND have a black tile, making them easy to not notice even when 'detected'. They don't actually generate darkness, but I can't recall if having excessive light provides elemental resistance to their attack...

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 8, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

http://www.reverbnation.com/soundwizard/song/22407260-khelavasters-prophecy?1336410755

ADOM has a jaunty new theme song, with vocals!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

So about 300-400ft. That's where things start to get fun :D

debo is a much better player than I, and he wrote a newbie guide optimised for the early game: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=75832&postcount=3
The artistry/smithing start is good for getting a lot of evasion/protection for a bargain xp investment. Might be a bit too early for what's killing you though.

Builing on what debo posted: skip 250'. It's the natural depth of orc archers and violet molds, and it's just not worth the grief. At around 600' shadow monsters are EVERYWHERE and will eat your face (this might be what's killing you, alongside Sulrakos) Consider having a way to easily get 5+ light on demand. Good ways include song of the trees for +2, or the super secret tech of "floor lanterns" where you drop a lesser jewel or feanorn latern and it illuminates from the floor, and stacks. Sulrakos are invisible, but tough and not hard hitting. One of; Helm of see invis, the 'see invis' perception skill, or an arse-ton of raw perception, are flat-out required to not get cornered by them. Don't go shopping for skills early (unless smithing, and even then don't overcommit). Spending 500 here for Power and 1000 there for follow-though seems fun, but Sil has a lot of awesome drops that can require you to alter your playstyle to use. I personally don't commit to Power v Finesse v whatever until around 500+ feet where I absolutely need to. Speaking thereof, early game meele/evasion and fighting 1v1 is king, but at midgame you need a 'trick', which might be as simple as Flanking or as complicated as polearm mastery + knockback + Focused Attack, to give you an edge as the numbers on the monsters go up faster than yours. [Dedicated builds can reverse this by 900' tho]

As debo said, you just need to die a lot see see what nasty poo poo Sil throws at you midgame :P

That help?

Edit: oh, Undead. Most wights and stuff are guarding items and don't like to chase, and they're the ones with nasty draining attacks. But Shadows in particular are both invis AND have a black tile, making them easy to not notice even when 'detected'. They don't actually generate darkness, but I can't recall if having excessive light provides elemental resistance to their attack...

And: I don't care how lesser it is, or how good you're doing, a lesser balrog is still a balrog :C

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I wouldn't suggest doing a heavy smithing start since the spawn rate of forges was heavily nerfed a few versions back. It leaves your character seriously under developed in the early to mid-game, and is still somewhat luck dependant in the late game, all for getting 1 or 2 extra bonus points from the guaranteed forge. Definitely not worth it any more.

If you're having trouble early on I'd suggest you're probably not being cautious enough. Maybe try a stealth heavy start a few times so you can get the hang of avoiding things you shouldn't be fighting. Other than that, don't forget to pump your combat stat (melee or archery, and evasion if you're not going heavy armour). A point or two extra makes a big difference. I'd steer clear of most skills unless you have a particular synergistic build in mind, contrary to what that other guy said - you really want 20+ points in your combat skill by the time you're hitting the lower floors or you'll get overwhelmed easily.

Having said that, if invisible stuff is giving you grief, pick up keen sight and put a few points in perception - that's a big boost for minimal investment and will help you spot traps/pick locks.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Cardiovorax posted:

People like you make me feel embarrassed about myself. I have never beaten any roguelike, ten years of playing them regardless.

Conversely, posts like this make me relieved that I'm not the only one. High-five, roguelike failure buddy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i beat crawl :smug:

once :shepface:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I beat ADOM. Once, years ago, after playing it for six months solid.

Two of my friends observed my victory. One was semi-impressed.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Tollymain posted:

i beat crawl in like 0.3 or so when DEFEs could easily go mad with power and MD was the fighter tankyman du jour and never again managed it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Tollymain posted:

I also beat Crawl once.
It took me 6 years. :shepface:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I beat Crawl twice, one with 3 and one with all 15.

Both were exploiting how ridiculously broken Ashenzari was as soon as he went in in trunk, and were some-colour-of-dragon armour-wearing perma-necromutationed demonspawn whose primary means of dealing with problems was casting shatter until there was enough room to cast tornado.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

campy as gently caress

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've beaten it a handful of times. Got a few 15-runers and one tournament win (with an ogre, no less!), but my favourite Crawl Achievement will always be my gigazig win - clearing two ziggurats, entering a third with 15 runes and the Orb of Zot without hitting my stash to gear up first, and completing the zig during the orbrun before finally ascending. That was a loving mess even with an omniresistant necromutated quad-level-9-nuke-slinging Sif Muna channelspammer. I had veterans, devs, and streakers all spectating, giving advice and occasionally :psyduck:-ing over the utterly bullshit success I had in cheating death. It was hilarious.

I actually don't really play Crawl much anymore, because after that madness, everything seems kinda blah. I know I'm unlikely to top that particular triumph of glorious stupidity, so I just get bored and disinterested halfway through the early grind.

RIP Shoydo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Never beaten any roguelike, I simply don't have the dedication or drive to beat most of 'em.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've beaten One Way Heroics on normal (when I got lucky and one of the worlds gave me Dosey), d-does that mean anything?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You're in the club of winners, lord your success over others in the most challenging of genres!

Here's your :smug:, use it well.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
TOME on normal with one of the top tier classes is not difficult, a week or two should be all anybody needs to clear normal/adventure with an alchemist or berserker (for example).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Once you can beat crawl once, you can probably beat it again. I went from not really being able to get far in crawl to getting runes consistently, to reaching Zot consistently, to reaching the post-game consistently. I was never able to figure out how to consistently beat the post-game levels though, and banged my head against ziggurats many times. Furthest I got was I think the second last level of the zig.

I've also beaten Spelunky, and Tome (albeit with the lives mode, never on true hardcore), but I think that's it for bigger games.

I missed the whole what is a roguelike chat but I was thinking about the idea of procedurally generated content, and how the roguelikes I most enjoy don't exclusively use procedural content to generate the playfield. DCSS's prefab sections make for much more interesting levels, I think. The key is having a ton of content to draw from so you don't get repetition.

One of my favorite non-roguelikes is Doom, and this line of thought led me to try the following: treat Doom as a roguelike, not by using random level generation (Oblige) or the Doom RL mods, but by just drawing on the innate nature of doom (pistol starting) and the massive amount of user generated content that I've never touched. You can either treat every Doom level as a self contained RL and just pistol start the maps. If you reach the exit you win. If you don't, you lose. Move on to the next map. When you're done the wad, move on the the next wad. Or you can treat wads / map sequences as RLs, allowing for continuous play and greater progression... moving on at the end of a map sequence or a wad, but after the first death.

This gives you randomness, permadeath, item (if not character) progression, complex item / environment interaction, and emergent gameplay.

Even if you just restricted yourself to the award winning wads, you'd have more content than any of these FPS roguelites out there. That's actually my biggest issue with some of these games. They aren't as fun as just playing Doom, and the normal advantage RLs often offer over traditional examples of the genre, randomness, isn't true for this particular genre because the mass of user generated content allows for greater variety than computer generated levels do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I guess I'm just too impatient for it. Roguelikes are at their best to me when you have just started a new character, the levels are rolling in fast and all options are open to you. The farther you progress the slower and further development, which makes me start to get bored and take risks that I shouldn't. I've lost more than one 5+ rune Crawl character right during the final escape run because I just wanted to finally be done.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess I'm just too impatient for it. Roguelikes are at their best to me when you have just started a new character, the levels are rolling in fast and all options are open to you. The farther you progress the slower and further development, which makes me start to get bored and take risks that I shouldn't. I've lost more than one 5+ rune Crawl character right during the final escape run because I just wanted to finally be done.

Yeah, I've quit post game runs early (by exiting) because of boredom.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It took me years and years to get my first roguelike wins (Nethack and ADOM).

After that it got a lot easier. Mental block + easier games + learning to play them better. Years later, I beat Crawl within a week or so of first picking it up.

If there's anything universally lovely I can say about roguelikes it's that cowardice is almost always the safest way to play, and that can get both boring and tiring.

It's hard to maintain the mental focus to treat every encounter like a total wimp and flee at the first sight of danger.

You tend to cross a threshold at some point in most roguelikes where your power becomes such that you can plow through most encounters, but that point varies wildly from game to game, and some of them you never reach it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I numbered my characters in Crawl, and my first win was attempt #421 with a Merfolk Crusader back on .3 or .4. I remember I was on the phone with my friend giving him a minute by minute account of my ascension. I fist-pumped so hard that night. Later, his first win was a Spriggan Assassin and I drove over to his house to watch that unfold.

Since then, I can more or less consistently 15-rune win with a Minotaur Fighter doing the whole Okie > TSO route (I like to call it Holy Cow build) but I'm too impatient to try other builds. This applies to other roguelikes too, I'm averse to having to learn an entirely new way of playing the game, because I primarily get a kick of exploiting and finding loopholes in the ruleset. Learning a new roguelike is hard.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Learning a new roguelike is hard.

gently caress Brogue :saddowns:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My biggest problem with conventional roguelikes is that I lack the patience to play them properly. I know what I need to do, and how I need to do it, but at some point the tweaks and strategies and estimates I have to make to survive begin to feel like I'm playing an infinite city sprawl civ game. The optimal strategy is mind-numbingly tedious. Crawl suffers from a bad case of this, for example. In the end, I either have to win by spending hours not having fun (hell no), or I spend an hour or two having fun only to get frustrated because of a loss I technically could have prevented by being tediously conservative (gently caress that).

Fast paced roguelikes like FTL and the ones that allow some sense of legacy between (failed) characters are fine, though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

my dad posted:

My biggest problem with conventional roguelikes is that I lack the patience to play them properly. I know what I need to do, and how I need to do it, but at some point the tweaks and strategies and estimates I have to make to survive begin to feel like I'm playing an infinite city sprawl civ game. The optimal strategy is mind-numbingly tedious. Crawl suffers from a bad case of this, for example. In the end, I either have to win by spending hours not having fun (hell no), or I spend an hour or two having fun only to get frustrated because of a loss I technically could have prevented by being tediously conservative (gently caress that).

Fast paced roguelikes like FTL and the ones that allow some sense of legacy between (failed) characters are fine, though.

Dungeonmans!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

my dad posted:

My biggest problem with conventional roguelikes is that I lack the patience to play them properly.

I lose so many games because I'm hammering on the left or right key and don't notice an enemy. DoomRL especially, where a couple of moves too many can get your rear end killed instantly by a mancubus.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stelas posted:

I lose so many games because I'm hammering on the left or right key and don't notice an enemy. DoomRL especially, where a couple of moves too many can get your rear end killed instantly by a mancubus.

I'm waiting for a game that has some built in sanity stops to prevent tedium from killing you. Autoexplore is one such tool, there are quite a few others.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everyone should play and win doomrl and also do an angel of berserk run like i did

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm going to revive definition chat because I hate this thread and its posters

'Roguelike' isn't actually a coherent genre of video game. You can't make a 'pure' roguelike, all roguelikes are crossovers with other genres, dungeon crawl, adventure, platformer, etc. It's a category of games that have some common secondary design elements, it's not actually a genre on its own

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I'm going to revive definition chat because I hate this thread and its posters

'Roguelike' isn't actually a coherent genre of video game. You can't make a 'pure' roguelike, all roguelikes are crossovers with other genres, dungeon crawl, adventure, platformer, etc. It's a category of games that have some common secondary design elements, it's not actually a genre on its own

It was pretty solidly a subgenre of dungeon crawlers until it became a buzzword on Steam.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well nethack is an unholy amalgamation of adventure game and dungeon crawl parts, and that's the game that started the buzzword to begin with

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It was pretty solidly a subgenre of dungeon crawlers until it became a buzzword on Steam with indie developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've resigned myself to doing nothing but gimmick runs in Crawl; Eliphas the Chaos Space Marine (Demonspawn Chaos Knight), The Librarian (Mummy whos job is to find at least 1 of every game item and store it in the Temple), etc.