Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
found this while browsing Turbobricks and it's too batshit not to share. This is a Volvo B21 with some stuff.

quote:

I have run it @ 30lb on the single SU

quote:

Garrett TO4 m trim 45 mm wastegate (450 HP). Twin HS6 SU's with bigger needle and seat's and bigger jets, custom manifolds, Low comp pistons, IPD cam, twin fuel pumps, water methonal. 4 Puk comp clutch, otherwise its almost stock.
Second pump and meth cut in @ 7lb meth is progresive rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbeRnRDLtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I442s9fO6jU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5Uiy1pE7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGONWyxD4s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here's some AI poo poo from the Porsche museum:
914/8

Yes, you read that right.
They made a special edition for one of the higher-ups with an 8cyl. gently caress I love the Germans.
It doesn't look a lot different than a 6, but I assure you, and anyone who has visited the museum will confirm, it's an 8.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

atomicthumbs posted:

found this while browsing Turbobricks and it's too batshit not to share. This is a Volvo B21 with some stuff.

Man, draw-through carburation on a turbo, been a while since I saw that.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This car is awesome, and I miss living in TAS.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Man, draw-through carburation on a turbo, been a while since I saw that.

A long long time for me too. Maybe 1995 and Wayne Dysons RX3, TO4 turbo and 55mm side draught weber.
Just before the import turbo motors were available and cheap, also aftermarket ECUs (microtech, haltech, motec, wolf etc)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This thing looks clean as hell. Nice

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

http://www.saabplanet.com/incredible-saab-99-quattro-ultimate-sleeper-with-709-whp/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

A long long time for me too. Maybe 1995 and Wayne Dysons RX3, TO4 turbo and 55mm side draught weber.
Just before the import turbo motors were available and cheap, also aftermarket ECUs (microtech, haltech, motec, wolf etc)
Interesting he's using SUs, as they sometimes get used for blow-through setups, like the factory one on the MG Metro Turbo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother wants to turbo his twin SU spitfire, I don't know enough to tell him whether to go blow or suck through. It'll kick as either way I'm sure.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Not the first or second time this is posted in the thread but you won't hear me complaining.

No need to steer while drifting an Alfa 75, just let go of the steering wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLr8rXv-Jjo

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 6, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

Interesting he's using SUs, as they sometimes get used for blow-through setups, like the factory one on the MG Metro Turbo.

I know naff all about Su carbs, weren't common here, more of a UK/Europe thing, though I had a mate with a 180b SSS that came with twin SUs.
That's about it except some holden 6 cyl cars had triple zenith-strombergs (I've never worked on them but know they operate similar).
It's was all weber down here for 4s and rotaries (DCOE, IDA, IDF, DCO, plus the old 32/36 DVG often stock fitted to ford 4cyl imports), and the odd dellorto for things like fiats and other Italian cars, so if turboing it was always draw through, except I do remember one crazy aftermarket turbo blow through set up on a Japanese 4 or rotary - possibly with a weber type carb, back around 1992, so pre internet and impossible to find. I've tossed my 1990s mags and books where I might have seen it. Could have been single 2" SU and I remembered wrong. E: drat really want to find it now.
Late edit: found enough evidence to suggest they existed, rotary shack sells weber kits and plenums for blow through weber rotaries. But I still think I saw a SU one too back in the day.
Life is simpler now with EFI, so anyways...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 6, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

wallaka posted:

It was a joke, goon.

Wow, sensitive crowd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Skidplate saved my motor after I hit a big part of a prerunner Ford Ranger front suspension on the freeway at 80mph last night.

The marks on the inside of the plate are where the cast aluminum skid plate contacted, bent around, and rubbed against the oil pan on the way home.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Engine's the wrong way around.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

atomicthumbs posted:

Not to mate up to the Quattro transmission.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoLittle posted:

No need to steer while drifting an Alfa 75, just let go of the steering wheel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLr8rXv-Jjo

That is mesmerizing to watch.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't get a chance to ask the owner anything but good god.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Didn't get a chance to ask the owner anything but good god.

Mother of gently caress. :stare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Close the thread, that guy won.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The truck was bagged to within a couple inches of the ground, too. Had my phone's camera not been so lovely, or my daughter not so insistent that we keep rolling (there was a blow-up snowman in the bed of a Mini pickup that she really wanted to see :3: ), or the crowd around it not been so big (especially for a small show) I would've tried to snag more.

Instead, have these shots of a trio of manufacturer-plated Viper hardtops. Presumably they were heading out to AZ88 to, ah, 'test' the handling :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Skidplate saved my motor after I hit a big part of a prerunner Ford Ranger front suspension on the freeway at 80mph last night.

The marks on the inside of the plate are where the cast aluminum skid plate contacted, bent around, and rubbed against the oil pan on the way home.

drat, good thing the skidplate was on there. Were you just driving along and suddenly his parts dumped out or what?

Makes me glad I just scored an OEM front skid for my XJ. I've been keeping an eye out for one at junkyards for months now with no luck. Hit up a new yard Friday and found three of them... they didn't have a preset category at the cashier, so I got out at $25 for a "splash guard". The guy checking my receipt at the exit got all questiony which pissed me off - the price seemed about right to me. Must have been a slow day.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nah, coming up a dark section of freeway when I saw cops putting down flares up ahead further... I was preparing to move over a lane when I hit something big and the car started making a shitload of noise. Further up the freeway was a prerunnered out Ranger missing a wheel. Putting two and two together I assume I got part of his suspension.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The dashboard for a Maserati Boomerang

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Close the thread, that guy won.

:colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

The dashboard for a Maserati Boomerang
Suddenly, Citroen realised which company one of their missing engineers had defected to.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Boat post incoming!

I thought about what to post next and I think I'll start by going over some of the machinery we have onboard, that way I can later post various overhauls without having to explain what everything is.

So, where to start.

One of my jobs when I was a cadet was to find out how the lights in my room stay on. The 1st actually said that to me in so many words. I asked him what he meant, and he said 'well, all the power on the ship comes from fuel, so go from there.'
So, I went and traced out the fuel system up to the engine. From the engine to the generator, and from there to the switchboard room. And from there, to the local distribution station. He didn't make me find which individual wire ran to my room, thankfully.
So I think we'll follow that same route.
I'll make a very rough diagram of the fuel flow, then discuss the electrical side of things, as well as getting into the various supporting machinery.

So, to begin, fuel is loaded onto the ship (we call it bunkering, which I guess is a holdover from the coal days) into the various double bottom tanks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bottom
You might say it seems dangerous to have fuel sitting directly above the sea, with just one layer of steel to stop it flooding out, and I guess there is some truth to that given that the MARPOL (marine pollution) regulations now forbid it on newbuilds. But my answer to that is always going to be 'well don't loving crash then.'
The double bottom tanks are equipped with heating coils, and I'll take a moment here to talk about the fuel we use.
Some ships (not many) use distillate fuels (diesel oil.) That's what we call the dream life.
What we burn is residuals - heavy fuel oil.
This poo poo.

That photo's not doctored in any way - it's all but solid at room temperature. Viscous as all gently caress, sticky as hell (it took me an hour to get it off my knuckles), toxic as gently caress, and just goddamned unpleasant to work with in just about every way imaginable. But it's cheap, it burns, and it will get you from A to B - with a lot of treatment.
Which gets us back to the heating coils inside the tanks. You can't pump this poo poo at room temperature. Well, you CAN, but you have a very unhappy sounding transfer pump. So for that reason, it gets heated - normally to 30-40 C. You then have a very thick but flowable mass. The first stage of treatment is to pump it to a settling tank. Even though it's 'heavy' fuel oil, it is still lighter than water, so you have a tank with an angled bottom to allow all the water to collect and be drained off.

Pictured: Not fuel.
So once or twice a watch I kick the drain valve until all the water is gone. Generally your fuel will want to sit in the settling tank for around 24 hours.

From there, the fuel oil is fed to purifiers. These are centrifuges, which do effectively the same job as gravity in the settling tank, but much, much faster. I can't remember offhand how fast they spin but I want to say around 10k rpm.
Here's a diagram.

The brown going in is the mixture, the yellow going out is the nice clean (hopefully) fuel, and the brown heading down the side drains to the sludge tank.
The centrifuges do a good job, and they are set to alarm if the water content is too high in case there's an unexpectedly large amount of water in the feed, so that you can drain off the settling tank if need be.
The centrifuges are also equipped with a preheating coil, and generally we try to maintain the temperature around say 95 degrees.
The cleaned fuel is then sent to the day service tank, which contains enough fuel for one day's sailing without the purifiers running.
Because of the nature of the fuel, and because it requires heating, it is then sent to a fuel module for regulation. Here's a diagram I found explaining the fuel layout from service tank to engine - varies from ship to ship, but it covers the basics.

So, ignoring the 3 way valve from the DO tank, you have a pair of suction strainers and two feed pumps (they refer to them as supply pumps). You'll find most things on ships are twinned, that way you have a running pump and a standby. Passes from there to another set of filters, then to a flowmeter, and into a buffer tank - that gives you a little time should the running pump fail. The pressure after the feed pumps will vary dependent on ship, but I'm used to seeing 5-6 bar. From there, it runs to the circulation pumps which will boost the pressure - I'm used to seeing 12-13 bar - before being fed to heaters. After the heaters I would expect to see the fuel around 120-125 degrees Celsius. At this temperature the viscosity will have dropped enough for the fuel to be very very fluid - viscosity of around 15 centistokes. This is incredibly important!
So to that degree you will see a device there called a viscotherm, which you will notice is connected in red to the heaters. The viscotherm monitors the viscosity of the fuel - which is a function of temperature - and regulates the amount of heating based on that. After that, another set of filters, before entering the fuel rail to be supplied to the engine fuel pumps. As I posted in my overhaul photos, each engine has its own fuel pump, boosting pressure to hundreds of bars for proper atomisation.
The return rail runs back to the buffer tank, as shown.

So the basic flow is DB tanks -> transfer pump -> settling tank -> purifier -> service tank -> fuel module -> engine.
A little bit more in depth than a car, for sure.
As I'm sure you can imagine, with all that heating and hot fuel, the purifier room is one of the hottest places in the entire ship. I took a photo when we were in Brasil because I knew no one would believe me otherwise.

That about covers the fuel system. I'll go into detail about some of the other machinery we have on board in another post.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Suddenly, Citroen realised which company one of their missing engineers had defected to.

Actually, back then Citroën owned Maserati. Hence the Maserati V6 in the Citroën SM.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Two Finger posted:

That about covers the fuel system. I'll go into detail about some of the other machinery we have on board in another post.

So cool! More! :stwoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Post lots of process diagrams.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That thing you just did? Keep doing it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm at a motorcycle Trackday in Arizona today. Ford is using the skid area and has four or five semi trucks full of 1/2ton pickup trucks of all the major brands.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

It just occurred to me that he made a 911 understeer. If that's not some form of driving talent, I don't know what is.

With factory wheel widths and factory tire pressures every 2 wheel 911 I've been able to push (definitely several generations of air cooled ones, a few older watercoolers) understeers as one would expect. On most RWD platforms you'll be able to feel this understeer and know it's still okay and use it to throttle steer around corners, etc. When you get to the point of losing grip in the back it communicates that. In 911s there is just understeer with no communication about it getting to the edge of pushing it too hard and then it oversteers. And with how I drive, it's often snap oversteer because I was pushing it too hard thinking "Oh! I got plenty left to push here!" Add to that, snap oversteer in a car with all that weight in the back is a WHOLE different thing than snap oversteering something with an empty trunk.

And, of course....the guys who REALLY know how to drive 911s don't have this issue, because they've somehow mind melded with the chassis and can tell when they're running out of push.

The 4 wheel models are MUCH easier to drive hard, but they feel really heavy so it ruins some of the fun. And of course the new ones with all the nannies on them (providing you don't turn them off) will prevent this as well.

All that being said, I still love those cars. I just don't and may never have enough seat time to really drive one anywhere close to it's true potential. Watching that happen around you on the track is a thing of beauty that brings on a deep seated jealousy in me.

And while I'm on odd 911 driving dynamics, there is just one other major one that trips me up. The car will punish you mercilessly for lifting. If you're not going too fast or it's not too hard of a lift you feel the entire chassis unsettle as the weight gets all hosed up. You get this sick feeling in the pit of your stomach, put your foot down and everything sorts itself back out immediately. If you're doing 100+-ish and lift hard, you swap ends. Before you even know what the hell just happened. This is punishment for being a bad driver and doing the wrong thing, but it's kinda severe.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Saw this while driving through a small town in the middle of nowhere central Ohio. The sign in the window says it's a 1949 Buick Custom Bomber Car.

More pics:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

And, of course....the guys who REALLY know how to drive 911s don't have this issue, because they've somehow mind melded with the chassis and can tell when they're running out of push.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HEiPWnyb4

This video will forever be "the man with the biggest balls... in the WORLD" to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh YES. THe Ruf Yellow Bird video.

Drifting the S-bends at 1:50 is just epic.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

atomicthumbs posted:

First thing I did was laugh about the bypassed DI. I wonder how the hell they're timing that without, uh.. issues.

I can't quite tell the build, but it looks like a B234R. Even loving with T5 and sending it bullshit, I really don't quite get how you'd manage to do this without metal shooting out the exhaust. v:v:v

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That thing is going to go through the eighth dimension, isn't it?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7HEiPWnyb4

This video will forever be "the man with the biggest balls... in the WORLD" to me.

I love the sawing of the steering wheel back and forth throughout the entire video. That car is doing its level best to kill its driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

boxen posted:

I love the sawing of the steering wheel back and forth throughout the entire video. That car is doing its level best to kill its driver.

I was going to say the same thing. That is the best example I've ever seen of a vehicle that is actively trying to murder its occupants. I fuckin' love that video.