Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Every awards season we have the same cycle of conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The only reason to care about the GG this year (besides random validation of things you like or watching drunken celebrities) is Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. It's going to be must watch for me for that reason.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe someone will release an edit of just Amy and Tina and skip the worthless results.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm glad AV Club is giving You're the Worst a lot of credit. It's a really sweet romantic-comedy without being lovely like Manhattan Love Story and its ilk.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

The only reason to care about awards is that they matter to the public and to executives and if a show is on the bubble awards can save it. Awards can mean more people watching and you want people watching shows you like. I don't think awards are a measure of the quality of a show or the loyalty of a fanbase, but in the business of television, they do matter.

Pretty sure they saved Brooklyn 99 last year. I remember hearing how it wasn't a lock for renewal, but after winning best Comedy, Fox basically said, "Well, I mean, sure we're going to renew it now."

I may be misremembering that though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure they saved Brooklyn 99 last year. I remember hearing how it wasn't a lock for renewal, but after winning best Comedy, Fox basically said, "Well, I mean, sure we're going to renew it now."

I may be misremembering that though.

No you're right. It was totally on the bubble and after the GG win the head of programming said he'd be stupid to cancel it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm glad AV Club is giving You're the Worst a lot of credit. It's a really sweet romantic-comedy without being lovely like Manhattan Love Story and its ilk.

I'm psyched that someone gave Broad City a mention. Shame about Married, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pinwiz11 posted:

The only reason to care about the GG this year (besides random validation of things you like or watching drunken celebrities) is Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

You know there are literally hundreds of hours of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler delivering genuinely funny lines (as opposed to awards ceremony drivel) available 24/7 on Netflix. Do a search for "30 Rock" and the first three seasons of a show called "Parks and Recreation."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cause watching old funny stuff is the same as watching new funny stuff.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Cause watching old funny stuff is the same as watching new funny stuff.

No, watching old funny stuff is a million times better than watching new stuff you're going to hate except for a funny, thirty second bit at the start of a three hour long program.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I only watch reruns of The Dick van Dyke Show. Something new might not be good!! The horrors!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Irish Joe posted:

No, watching old funny stuff is a million times better than watching new stuff you're going to hate except for a funny, thirty second bit at the start of a three hour long program.

When does the new stuff become old stuff so I'm allowed to watch it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I only watch reruns of The Dick van Dyke Show. Something new might not be good!! The horrors!!

Everyone on that show is a racist :/

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Everyone on that show is a racist :/

You might even say they see the world in black and white. :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

You know there are literally hundreds of hours of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler delivering genuinely funny lines (as opposed to awards ceremony drivel) available 24/7 on Netflix. Do a search for "30 Rock" and the first three seasons of a show called "Parks and Recreation."

Good point. Additionally, I don't understand why people keep saying they liked True Detective. If you want to see Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey act you should just watch The Hunger Games and Dallas Buyer's Club, respectively!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's right though, they're not going to be funny at the Golden Globes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I feel like it's pretty well-established that HFPA is a garbage group and the GGs are a fun watch and little else. It's weird to see anyone giving a poo poo about what they nominated.

Award shows in general have never been anything other than really lavish, multi-hour-long commercials and barely pretend to be otherwise, yet people that are not involved in them continue to care and treat them like they matter. :shrug:

OldSenileGuy posted:

A sinner like you would watch a show like the Jerk van Lesbian Show without the protection of a TV Guardian.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 11, 2014

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

timp posted:

Good point. Additionally, I don't understand why people keep saying they liked True Detective. If you want to see Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey act you should just watch The Hunger Games and Dallas Buyer's Club, respectively!

Except nobody says that the only reason to watch True Detective is because Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey happen to be in it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

timp posted:

I wanna see the cut of The Hunger Games you saw where what anyone did could be considered "acting."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh Hunger Games is good man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not without Rifftrax it ain't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

raditts posted:

I wanna see the cut of The Hunger Games you saw where what anyone did could be considered "acting."

What was wrong with the acting? The directing and bland forest setting was the problem in the first one. Everything was fixed in Catching Fire.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

I haven't seen any version of The Hunger Games, I just picked a recent Woody Harrelson movie, whatever. And forget about True Detective, I was just making an observation that it's really dumb to tell someone to watch two separate performances of two separate actors when they're clearly looking forward to seeing those two performers work, uh, together.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh and I'm PISSED that Drunk History didn't make A/V Club's top shows of 2014 list. What the gently caress A/V Club? Seriously, Review is #11??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Review deserves every accolade it gets.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aphrodite posted:

He's right though, they're not going to be funny at the Golden Globes.

They were last year.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

timp posted:

I haven't seen any version of The Hunger Games, I just picked a recent Woody Harrelson movie, whatever. And forget about True Detective, I was just making an observation that it's really dumb to tell someone to watch two separate performances of two separate actors when they're clearly looking forward to seeing those two performers work, uh, together.

I know what you were trying to say and I agree with that, but I think what Irish Joe was trying to say is that if seeing them work together is what you're looking for, seeing them hosting an awards show is probably not going to be worth your while.

Mu Zeta posted:

What was wrong with the acting? The directing and bland forest setting was the problem in the first one. Everything was fixed in Catching Fire.

Nope, there was plenty of bad directing and bland forest setting in the second one as well to go along with the dinner theater quality performances.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 11, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

What was wrong with the acting?

Jennifer Lawrence.

Granted there's not a lot in the script or the source material to work with.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

I know what you were trying to say and I agree with that, but I think what Irish Joe was trying to say is that if seeing them work together is what you're looking for, seeing them hosting an awards show is probably not going to be worth your while.

Yeah, and he's probably right, too. He should have just used Weekend Update to make his point, that's peak Tina and Amy. Even Baby's Mama would have been a more valid answer, at least they're both in that.

zoux posted:

Review deserves every accolade it gets.

It's pretty good, yeah, but certainly not as good as Drunk History. :colbert:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

zoux posted:

Uh Hunger Games is good man.

The third one sure as hell wasn't.

But this is a topic for another thread.

And forum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know OTHER forums mods let their chat threads talk about whatever :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Some guy in the CineD thread talked about his stupid dead dog for like three pages and no one made fun of him for being a blubbering baby who doesn't have any real friends. Do we really want that kind of chat thread here?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

We talked about nodding to other people for like two weeks in November.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

zoux posted:

You are so finished when Deadpool gets here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

N..no don't tell Deadpool :ohdear: I'll talk about TV!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Some guy in the CineD thread talked about his stupid dead dog for like three pages and no one made fun of him for being a blubbering baby who doesn't have any real friends. Do we really want that kind of chat thread here?

Have you read any of precision's posts? We already do dude

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So metacritic decided to rank shows based on other critics' top 10 lists

I've actually witnessed the butthurt from people angry that The Americans is so high up on the list and True Detective is so low. Sorry people who basically watched only 4 shows out of 2014, True Detective was not necessarily the standout you thought it was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Americans was loving awesome this season, I have no problem with that list.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Shameless is probably in my top 10 for this year, surprised no one seems to mention it or remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Americans was great this year except for that one scene in the final episode where a guy is dying for what feels like 10 minutes while spouting exposition like a motherfucker. Still, the Season 3 trailer is loving dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu2dpWBjfQ

• Locked thread