Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Never played this game, but I love ridiculous alt-history scenarios. Maybe the Germans were a lot better at espionage than in our timeline and managed to delay it or even steal research to advance their own atom bomb project?

I don't know what the point of divergence is specifically, but yeah, if Germany was still in the war by August 1945, you'd better believe the US would have nuked the poo poo out of Berlin.

I like this scenario a lot though. It would be a lot harder to justify $Texas for a research project that nobody's sure will actually work when the Nazis are mass-producing jets and robots and kicking the poo poo out of the Allies. I wonder what the war in the Pacific looked like in this timeline.

Not really. The A-Bomb was mathematically proven even before the War. The Manhattan Project was the practical application of the mathematical proofs. Most of the Nuclear Scientists who made the proofs and theories were German and a good deal of them remained in Germany. Britain started their Nuclear program before the US even entered the War and the Manhattan Project was practically the relocation of the English program on US soil for safety.

More than that, we almost have direct proof that the German researchers tasked to their Nuclear program were desperately stalling for time, making excuse after excuse to avoid delivering a working bomb. The Nazis could have had the Bomb earlier than the Allies… if only their own researchers weren't fully convinced that the Nazis should NEVER have it.

Hell, IIRC, at one point the man who had mathematically proven that the A-Bomb could work made an official report that there wasn't enough plutonium on Earth to make it. At the same time, the first Bomb was entering the design stage at Los Alamos.

The real problem of the Manhattan Project was enriching the fissile materials to Weapon Grade, not a lack of materials. That's what stalled Nuclear production after the War.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Delta Green posted:

the Manhattan Project was practically the relocation of the English program on US soil for safety.

Not really? By the time British scientists arrived in the United States, the Manhattan Project had been going for a few years and had far outstripped the British program, mostly because the US spent a billion dollars and the UK had spent about 500,000 pounds. A more accurate statement would be that the British program was absorbed into the Manhattan Project.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Too bad there's no Venom gun in this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gideon020 posted:

Too bad there's no Venom gun in this.

Yeah. Even though the 1946 turret is very reminiscent, it's not quite the same as just whipping out your man-portable minigun to mow down guys. While the laser weapons like the turret Lazyfire shows in this video are neat, there just isn't a "holy poo poo"weapon like the good ole Flamethrower or venom gun. Not to say dual-wielding the guns we haven isn't mad fun, but the big gently caress-off weapons were always part of the Wolfenstein charm.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Not to say dual-wielding the guns we haven isn't mad fun, but the big gently caress-off weapons were always part of the Wolfenstein charm.
And that's exactly one of the issues I have with this game's gunplay. Its big special weapon isn't big or special. Give me a corpsefist over that poo poo any day.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gideon020 posted:

It's actually fairly easy to get the Scavenger perk on certain levels. There's a lot of set-pieces that allow for you to take down the necessary 3 people without releasing the trigger.

There was a perfect setup right after clearing the first area in the car section when he opened the door and like a half dozen soldiers ran in to cover - just blitz in full throttle and you'll take them all out in one go, no reloads.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sloober posted:

There was a perfect setup right after clearing the first area in the car section when he opened the door and like a half dozen soldiers ran in to cover - just blitz in full throttle and you'll take them all out in one go, no reloads.

That section is also perfect for getting almost every Grenade perk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It would be if there WERE MORE GREN-
Really, this is pretty much the perfect "first level", shows off a lot of mechanics and design that's going to be with us for the rest of the game without revealing too much - a lot of games blow their load so to speak way too early but here we get a taste of what's to come and know it'll get better.
edit: VVV Yup. Of course, some of those outliers don't work exactly as intended.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 12, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

anilEhilated posted:

It would be if there WERE MORE GREN-
Really, this is pretty much the perfect "first level", shows off a lot of mechanics and design that's going to be with us for the rest of the game without revealing too much - a lot of games blow their load so to speak way too early but here we get a taste of what's to come and know it'll get better.

One of my favorite things about this game is how it will play with expectations. Yes, a ton of levels work similar to this one, but there are two in a row later on that are such huge outliers from the other missions that make it clear this game isn't really happy to just keep hammering on any one formula. Even when it does use the Stealth->Firefight->stealth cycle we saw in the last video it's more than willing to throw complications at you that make you have to plan things out a bit more than usual.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I just bought this game for 20 last week. I love it and am on my second playthrough. Didn't try to get any of the perks the first time - this time I'm making a point to go for one whenever it's available. The stealth perks you get early on like light footsteps seem to be very powerful and useful for completing stealth sequences. Throwing knives own.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 12, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What's with the grenade hate? In sections where you actually need* them they are scattered liberally around and between those they a a limited tactical resource.

*you don't need them but they sure do help.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

What's with the grenade hate? In sections where you actually need* them they are scattered liberally around and between those they a a limited tactical resource.

Long story short, I didn't get the grenade perks in the first half of the game and it's impossible to do it in the second one. They remain amazingly useful for the entire game even if you're a less explosive-happy player than I am (which, if people who played Borderlands with me are to be trusted, is just about anyone) and in a lot of the fights they're the only way to get around annoying cover layouts.
Basically they give you this awesome toy with oh-so-many uses. And then they take it away just when you learn to rely on it. Difficulty, sure, but it's frustrating as hell.

Or maybe I'm an explosive-obsessed psychopath. If anyone who had the misfortune to play borderlands with me etc. etc.

edit: VVV That too. But, y'know, primarily what I said.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 12, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pvt.Scott posted:

There's one fight where you absolutely need them as I believe they are the only way to damage the boss, and if you gently caress up at all you could find yourself basically dead on your feet.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

There's one fight where you absolutely need them as I believe they are the only way to damage the boss, and if you gently caress up at all you could find yourself basically dead on your feet.

Which difficulty level are you talking about? I had plenty of grenades on normal mode.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
hey Lazy, do you disable steam messages while you're recording? I'm, uh, asking for a friend. :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psion posted:

hey Lazy, do you disable steam messages while you're recording? I'm, uh, asking for a friend. :v:

I usually do, but I think I may currently have them going through.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

and even gatherings where Dachshunds were tortured and killed because they were "German dogs"

Haven't read the posts after this yet, but...

WHAT? Did the president authorize it, or was it a radical group, or is that just an urban legend that MIGHT have happened, because a friend of a friend's uncle knew someone who saw it totally for reals? Because that's stupid, and horrible, and I can't believe anyone would actually do that, war fever or not. I mean, look at the little guys. Try to look at one in a hotdog costume and not break into a smile.

That's like... I don't know, banning hamburgers, or sauerkraut because those are "German" foods. Or not selling french fries because France was being occupied by the Nazis at the time.

Although it makes me think of something along the lines of "Air Bud: Mein Fuhrer Edition". Hitler swaps minds with a puppy, and goes on to somehow WIN the war because his terrible military decisions are barks and yelps, which the SS misunderstand, and it all goes so ironically right, and right before the credits, Germany rules the world, and Hit-dog looks at the camera and shrugs his little puppy shoulders as if he can't even believe it. On the other hand, it would never get made nowadays, just like the Three Stooges/Looney Tunes were only able to make fun of him because it was war propaganda.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

thetrueoskar posted:

Or not selling french fries because France was being occupied by the Nazis at the time.

Yeah, doing something silly like that for dumb reasons doesn't sound like something the US would do... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_fries

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Everett True was posted for a while in the newspaper comics megathread. He was a fat dude who admonished or assaulted people for doing stupid poo poo, most of which is still understandable today. For a period example, he beat a man for wearing a wristwatch, as that was women's apparel at the time. When the Great War broke out, Everett was very anti-German. I think one comic might have involved frankfurters as being unAmerican. Anyway, it was a generally amusing comic until the war broke out and then it turned into a propaganda strip.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 14, 2014

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

klafbang posted:

Yeah, doing something silly like that for dumb reasons doesn't sound like something the US would do... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_fries

Except French fries continued to be sold, even if they weren't called that at the time. I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but I think it fell flat.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pvt.Scott posted:

Everett True was posted for a while in the newspaper comics megathread. He was a fat dude who admonished or assaulted people for doing stupid poo poo, most of which is still understandable today. For a period example, he beat a man for wearing a wristwatch, as that was women's apparel at the time. When the Great War broke out, Everett was very anti-German. I think one comic might have involved frankfurters as being unAmerican. Anyway, it was a generally amusing comic until the war broke out and then it turned into a propaganda strip.

I remember that strip! In face, I also recall the interesting tidbit about the wrist-watch and why it became more... acceptable for men to have them - viz you were much less likely to get your head blown off during WWI if all you had to do was look at your wrist as opposed to take a watch out yer pocket.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Samovar posted:

I remember that strip! In face, I also recall the interesting tidbit about the wrist-watch and why it became more... acceptable for men to have them - viz you were much less likely to get your head blown off during WWI if all you had to do was look at your wrist as opposed to take a watch out yer pocket.

Similar reason why cigarettes caught on, if I remember properly.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Samovar posted:

I thought wristwatches actually originated with pilots, so they didn't have to dig their pocketwatches out of the twenty layers of coats they wore to keep warm in the air.

EDIT: Actually, we're both wrong, although you were pretty close. Apparently it became really popular with the development of the creeping barrage, where soldiers would advance directly behind an artillery barrage that worked its way across the battlefield. Since this required really precise timing, it was easier to just glance at your wrist instead of constantly taking out your pocketwatch.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 14, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

thetrueoskar posted:

Haven't read the posts after this yet, but...

WHAT? Did the president authorize it, or was it a radical group, or is that just an urban legend that MIGHT have happened, because a friend of a friend's uncle knew someone who saw it totally for reals? Because that's stupid, and horrible, and I can't believe anyone would actually do that, war fever or not. I mean, look at the little guys. Try to look at one in a hotdog costume and not break into a smile.

That's like... I don't know, banning hamburgers, or sauerkraut because those are "German" foods. Or not selling french fries because France was being occupied by the Nazis at the time.

Although it makes me think of something along the lines of "Air Bud: Mein Fuhrer Edition". Hitler swaps minds with a puppy, and goes on to somehow WIN the war because his terrible military decisions are barks and yelps, which the SS misunderstand, and it all goes so ironically right, and right before the credits, Germany rules the world, and Hit-dog looks at the camera and shrugs his little puppy shoulders as if he can't even believe it. On the other hand, it would never get made nowadays, just like the Three Stooges/Looney Tunes were only able to make fun of him because it was war propaganda.

I found a few sources for this happening in Britain but I'm having a hard time finding American sources (this one exists but it lacks detail and citations) but I'm bringing up page after page of links to examples of mob violence against German-Americans where the courts refused to convict the assailants. Mob violence against Germans and things associated with Germany was not officially encouraged but the government did not try to stop it. Even if you were not German, the war fever made it dangerous to oppose the war, or be insufficiently enthusiastic about it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 14, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

People get a little upset when they see you as supporting "the enemy," even if that's not the case at all. The first time I saw a temple covered in swastikas, my first reaction wasn't " oh, I guess that's a symbol that was used by other cultures," it was "nazis? " I wasn't born until the 80s, but I instantly assumed the worst when I saw the symbol I had been taught represented the bad guys. Now I think the nazis were jerks for ruining a perfectly good symbol, and a cool mustache.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pvt.Scott posted:

Now I think the nazis were jerks for ruining... a cool mustache.

Chaplin pulled it off; but it was NEVER cool.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Samovar posted:

Chaplin pulled it off; but it was NEVER cool.

I thought James Joyce wore one too, at least for a while.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Meaty Ore posted:

I thought James Joyce wore one too, at least for a while.

Ron Mael, too.

And then he changed his style to be even more evil nazi-like.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 14, 2014

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Michael Jordan rocked one in those Hanes ads (and took some flak for it, too).

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

exethan posted:

Which difficulty level are you talking about? I had plenty of grenades on normal mode.

I went through on Uber my first time and somewhat regretted it, but never because of a grenade shortage.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
What was it like? I imagine every non standard enemy would explode you instantly.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

exethan posted:

What was it like? I imagine every non standard enemy would explode you instantly.

I imagine it's like crawling through the Shawshank sewers, only the sewers are lined with sandpaper and broken glass.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mr. Maggy posted:

I went through on Uber my first time and somewhat regretted it, but never because of a grenade shortage.

The specific fight I was talking about was more because of the layout of the arena and the sometimes finicky "must stand here to activate" nature of things in most games. If you miss the very narrow window of time or make a couple bad throws you can completely screw yourself.

One of the modes you can unlock in the game is 999 mode. You start with 999 health and unlimited ammo for all the guns, but the game is in Uber difficulty. I was thinking of trying that out at some point, but Uber is sounding less and less fun as I read the descriptions.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

exethan posted:

Let's just say, thank God that this game had a lean mechanic.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I just realized the only reliable way to get the lean kills for the assault perks is by standing right next to a wall, facing it, and then to aim down the sights. You will lean out from behind it and be able to shoot enemies. I had previously been leaning manually for several levels and had logged a whopping 4 kills from behind cover. This game rules - it's too bad the armor upgrade is really poo poo in comparison to health.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I played on Death Incarnate for my first run. Uber was just too much. It's meant for a replay when you have some perks and pickups, IMO. Like a Wolfenstein version of New Game+. Starting Uber with no perks is just asking for trouble.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

The specific fight I was talking about was more because of the layout of the arena and the sometimes finicky "must stand here to activate" nature of things in most games. If you miss the very narrow window of time or make a couple bad throws you can completely screw yourself.

One of the modes you can unlock in the game is 999 mode. You start with 999 health and unlimited ammo for all the guns, but the game is in Uber difficulty. I was thinking of trying that out at some point, but Uber is sounding less and less fun as I read the descriptions.

Actually, I unlocked it and am playing through it now. It's actually a good, fun challenge.

The unlimited ammo means you can afford to dual-wield near constantly, which is necessary because of the increased health and damage caused by the enemies. The 999 health is also useful as you can just vacuum up any health items to keep the boost going for as long as possible and it helps you survive the really big fire-fights just long enough to find good shooting positions.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Uber is easily manageable during a second playthrough where you know enemy locations and spawn points, you can even do it in a brand new save file with the perks/weapon upgrades reset and shouldn't have much trouble. It's probably pretty frustrating to do during a first playthrough since enemy reaction times/accuracy/damage are pretty high compared to I Am Death Incarnate (Hard) difficulty.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
The first "oh god what am I doing" fight on Uber for me was the hospital's courtyard. Those goddamn flying drone thingies would ruin me, and they're hard to hit from a distance. They're also remarkably good at approaching you from different sides and tearing your flanks up while you're trying to keep the Nazis infront of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Hotwiring works in that you need to make wire contact three times in a row within a specific time. Each contact lights up one of the lamps, but if you take too long you lose your progress and need to light them all from the beginning.
I liked the lockpicking mechanism more. Less stressful.

• Locked thread