Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

senrath posted:

Except that the opening of the game explicitly says that you, the player, are number 101.

Right, so then when Luka joins at the end there will be 101 Wonderful Ones, meaning that in the next game you the player will be the one hundred and second member of the Wonderful 102.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's been said repeatedly in the thread that the true 101st is the player, though.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

7c Nickel posted:

First thing I thought of was the Silver Gigas Zelos from Skies of Arcadia. It even has the 6 points around the central laser.

Now I want to go play Skies of Arcadia again.

WELP. Here's hoping the discs aren't scratched! *pops open Dreamcast*

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
For the record, as of this update I have 97 of the 100 Wonderful Ones. I said we had 98 last update, but that number was coming from that fact that we still have Immorta as a guest member. So we've still got three members to recruit!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Night10194 posted:

I think it's been said repeatedly in the thread that the true 101st is the player, though.

Yeah, that's the point. If Luka becomes number 101 then you, the player become 102, and thus a sequel is born

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I keep reading Akashic Form as Ashkenazic Form, so I'm gonna assume that rainbow is a really awesome tallis.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
I feel like the only person who actually kind of likes Luka. He goes from a whiny brat, to an idiotic whiny brat, to a pretty cool kid who's basically piloting EVA-01. :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Calling that Vorkken will be one of the Wonderful Ones.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AzureRequiem posted:

I feel like the only person who actually kind of likes Luka. He goes from a whiny brat, to an idiotic whiny brat, to a pretty cool kid who's basically piloting EVA-01. :smith:

Luka's got an arc, which is more than most characters get in the game but unfortunately that arc requires him to be an annoying brat for 90% of the game and he only gets to be cool in the final portion, meaning that the annoying kid is who we remember more.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Luka's got an arc, which is more than most characters get in the game but unfortunately that arc requires him to be an annoying brat for 90% of the game and he only gets to be cool in the final portion, meaning that the annoying kid is who we remember more.

Hes the annoying brat that doomed the planet and killed thousands of people while crying he didn't want the world killed after wxplicitly saying he wanted everyone to die in revenge.

Luka as a character cannot be saved, gently caress him.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

AzureRequiem posted:

His desire for revenge is understandable, but siding with the aliens is kind of a dodgy thing for even an eight-year-old to do. For some reason he blames CENTINELS for his mother's death instead of the loving alien invasion that was the reason CENTINELS was established.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Lid posted:

Hes the annoying brat that doomed the planet and killed thousands of people while crying he didn't want the world killed after wxplicitly saying he wanted everyone to die in revenge.

Luka as a character cannot be saved, gently caress him.

I think the problem is Luka doesn't do enough to earn his redemption and the game doesn't really sell us on his regret. When he says "this isn't what I wanted!" our reaction isn't "oh, poor Luka, he's a tragic, misguided figure who made a terrible mistake" it's "no you literally just said this was exactly what you wanted all of, like, fifteen minutes ago." The other characters don't even call him on it, which makes the whole arc seem a little forced and arbitrary; he isn't redeemed because he's deserving of redemption, he's redeemed because that's what happens to the person playing that kind of role in this kind of story.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm watching these updates in 60fps and I still don't get the appeal of it. It reminds me of Gamecube games.

That is all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

senrath posted:

Except that the opening of the game explicitly says that you, the player, are number 101.
Didn't that opening not get shown in Chip's videos so far?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The next couple of videos are going to show why this game has a better end boss/ending sequence thing than Bayonetta 2, and Bayonetta 1 arguably any other game.

I'm not kidding when I say I can't even start to compare any other endbosses to this one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zereth posted:

Didn't that opening not get shown in Chip's videos so far?

Not in the LP proper, but it was first linked (not by Chip) and discussed on page 4 of the thread. Rather easy to miss if you weren't following from the beginning.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is my favorite video game

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Giga-Goojin: Gimme's robot's name is pretty obvious byy this point. Giga + 瓦偶人 (gagujin, old term for haniwa).
Gunchew: the first part of this guy's name is pretty clearly 顔 (gan), "face". The second part isn't as obvious, but based on the context I'd guess it's 宙 (chuu), "space".
Geath Wahksay: 下衆惑星 (gesuwakusei), Scum Planet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Doc V posted:

Gunchew: the first part of this guy's name is pretty clearly 顔 (gan), "face". The second part isn't as obvious, but based on the context I'd guess it's 宙 (chuu), "space".

Quick someone get Diabetus here for one last face/space pun.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Nut Bunnies posted:

I'm watching these updates in 60fps and I still don't get the appeal of it. It reminds me of Gamecube games.

That is all.

It makes more of a difference when you're playing, since it isn't delaying your input

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The best part of this thread is all the goons going "I hate this kindergartener !! I'd kill him myself if I could !!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

oddium posted:

The best part of this thread is all the goons going "I hate this kindergartener !! I'd kill him myself if I could !!"

This child did not earn his redemption destroy him imo

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Clearly this child is not acting like a proper rational adult and must be eliminated.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just wondering Chip Cheezum have you seen gurren lagann? After many years of it being recommended to me I finally watched it last month and wow it is similar to this game for all the right reasons.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm pretty sure Gurren Lagann was inspired by this game quite a bit actually

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

From what I hear Kamiya directed the source they both pull inspiration from

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kamiya was actually the inventor of space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: I appear to have missed a joke!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kamiya directed the Big Bang. IGN gave it a 10/10 it was okay.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Tbh I still get a chuckle any time Kamiya RTs someone's retarded "Kamiya thank you for making my favorite games of all time Okami, Bayonetta, DMC1 and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gologle posted:

It still didn't sell.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

This child did not earn his redemption destroy him imo

death is the only appropriate punishment for a mildly unsatisfying character arc

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gologle posted:

"7/10- Too Much Matter"

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

ChaosArgate posted:

Quick someone get Diabetus here for one last face/space pun.

Are you saying it's time for a face-off?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cheez posted:

Clearly this child is not acting like a proper rational adult and must be eliminated.

There's knocking over a shelf because you can't properly express your emotions and then there's participating in the mass murder of several thousand people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

There's knocking over a shelf because you can't properly express your emotions and then there's participating in the mass murder of several thousand people.

And now he's participating in the murder of several thousand jerks, it all works out.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

The Wonderful 100 clearly rescued everyone in Blossom City back in Operation 001. They're all chillin on the Virgin Victory, ready and waiting to turn into a missile.

At the worst, Luka's just a grand scale vandal.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

SirDan3k posted:

But from his point of view he's just joining the bad guys, it's not like he knew what the bad guys wanted to do or anything.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I don't like Luca because he's a boring annoying child side kick who's in every game ever and spends the entire of his screentime repeating the "how did you sneak on board, I thought we left you on the ship!" gag every single level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The one constant throughout my 10 years on SA is Games' violent intolerance towards children.

• Locked thread