Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Levitate posted:

Actually here's another question...what's an interesting type of character to play in BG1 that's not like challenge yourself hard because that class is crappy, but not a usual boring easy class? I've beaten it with a mage before and with a fighter and with an archer-type I think (maybe was a fighter/thief that shot a lot of arrows)...I'd like to try out something else that might be a bit off the beaten path

Priest of Helm -> Thief dual is pretty interesting, I think.

(Don't try to do the Werewolf Island though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Karmalaa70 posted:

Got home and it seems the patch for BG2EE is available? I honestly expected a months long beta since it just was released for testing last week I think.

whoa, yeah. My Steam hasn't offered the update yet but maybe I'll relaunch it. Official threads are here:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37811/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-1-3-release
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36550/bg2ee-1-3-question-and-answer-release-date-12-16-14

Time to import my BG1EE savegame! How's it look to everyone?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't like Yeslick in BG1 because being a fighter too doesn't add that much and slows down his exp progression by 50%. Fighter/clerics still cannot use all weapons (my major sticking point) and they have the same armour restrictions. They do get more HP and better to-hit than clerics, but it's not as dramatic as with a rogue or wizard. I think that Anomen works because he gets just about to the point of major diminishing returns, then he's a single-class cleric with cleric progression forever. In the case of Yeslick, I feel that it just waters him down. The fact that BG1 is low- to early-mid-level D&D versus BG2's way-up-to loving-high-level gameplay doesn't help, granted.
I like using Yeslick and he seems fine to me. The 50% progression obscures the fact that we are talking a single level of difference between a multiclass and single-class cleric. Yeslick will hit the BG1 cap at level 7 which requires 55000 XP. A single-class cleric will reach level 8 which requires 110000 XP. Level 9 requires 225000 XP so a single-class cleric will never reach it unless you remove the XP cap and do some grinding. But if you do that Yeslick would be able to hit level 8 and still be only a level behind.

In exchange for losing one level of spellcasting you get more attacks per round, a better THAC0, improved weapon proficiencies and extra hit points. Yeslick has an excellent wisdom and constitution. Slap the Gauntlets of Ogre Power and some cleric buffs on him and he becomes a real beast in combat. And there are some extremely good blunt weapons that he can use. I'd stick to warhammers since he comes proficient with them, but the mace Stupefier you find in Bereghost is one of the best weapons in BGEE. Good bladed weapons can be given to other tank characters, so they won't be useless.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

BG2:EE 1.3 Patch Notes posted:

In addition, losing spell slots no longer clears the selections for those spells, meaning that when you recover from Level Drain, all it takes is a single Rest and your spellcaster will be back in business.

This is the only thing that makes BG2:EE worth paying for IMO.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
When the Ironman thread is posted, can someone post a collection of links to good mods to play it through with? I'm trying to work out which mods work and which ones wouldn't, but a lot of info is old.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A 15MB releasenotes.pdf :aaa: and I thought Blizzard did good patch notes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Icewind Dale EE: How do I keep my bard singing at all times? The script that's supposed to leave it on does not work, and if I choose no script it turns off for some reason most battles.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm really hoping we get a new Iron Man going before new year so I have something to work on all vacation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Icewind Dale EE: How do I keep my bard singing at all times? The script that's supposed to leave it on does not work, and if I choose no script it turns off for some reason most battles.

With the kit you need to press V (I think its V? Read the description for the key bind. Also check you didn't bind something else to that key), check you did that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
BG2EE iOS version is $5 off at the moment (down to $10)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Levitate posted:

They said on twitter that's the new price (because android launched yesterday at 10$)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Ah, nice, I don't have to run out and buy it and can hope they drop it again for a christmas sale

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Comstar posted:

The bard controlled script has 2 different toggled settings: always sing/only sing during battle which is toggled by 'd' and stay idle/attack which is toggled by 'v'. Switch to always sing and stay idle and your bard will sing forever until you perform another action.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Any idea how you use any of those key toggles on the iPad version?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Levitate posted:

Are Neera/Dorn/etc. DLC you have to pay for separately? They were in BG1.

At this point I'm probably just going to wait for BG1 and 2 to go on sale on Steam in like...a day, and get 'em there.

Also: can you import a character from BG1EE iOS to BG2EE PC?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Wow the difficulty ramps up when you go to the Heart of Winter content in IWD. I am getting obliterated. Think I need to do more party buffs.

Usually I'm going with bless, haste, prayer or chant, divine might, iron skins and that's about it. How can I make my droid, cleric and barbarian into real tanks and not get destroyed by harpies and wyverns?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Wow the difficulty ramps up when you go to the Heart of Winter content in IWD. I am getting obliterated. Think I need to do more party buffs.

Usually I'm going with bless, haste, prayer or chant, divine might, iron skins and that's about it. How can I make my droid, cleric and barbarian into real tanks and not get destroyed by harpies and wyverns?

I assume you have a wizard and you should be using both the emotion spells, courage and hope. They're fourth level spells. You also should abuse slow and chaos to seriously hamper your enemies abilities to do anything to you.

If you're fighting harpies and wyverns then you've actually stumbled into the trials of the luremaster expansion. You can return to normal heart of winter once it's cleared but you may run into some real issues trying to clear trials depending on your level. The crypt isn't too punishing but the enemies inside the castle proper will mess you up real bad if you're having trouble with the opening foes.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

FairGame posted:

Are Neera/Dorn/etc. DLC you have to pay for separately? They were in BG1.

At this point I'm probably just going to wait for BG1 and 2 to go on sale on Steam in like...a day, and get 'em there.

Also: can you import a character from BG1EE iOS to BG2EE PC?

Yes, the enhanced editions characters are purchasable DLC. And yes, you can import a character. The process is weird. You have to load a BG1 game with the character in it and then export the character. When doing so you will have the option of exporting it into BG2 if BG2 is installed.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Metal Meltdown posted:

If you're fighting harpies and wyverns then you've actually stumbled into the trials of the luremaster expansion. You can return to normal heart of winter once it's cleared but you may run into some real issues trying to clear trials depending on your level. The crypt isn't too punishing but the enemies inside the castle proper will mess you up real bad if you're having trouble with the opening foes.

That's because I spoke to some fool in the inn who took me to the castle. Thankfully I loaded a save from before that conversation and went to the Burial Isle or whatever it is called. Even those fights were tough. I never use emotion/sl;ow/chaos abut will start now. Thanks for the advice. I do have those spells in my arsenal. Slow, maybe not. It's possible I have had years of unnecessary Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale frustrations by missing out on some crucial easy buffs.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

That's because I spoke to some fool in the inn who took me to the castle. Thankfully I loaded a save from before that conversation and went to the Burial Isle or whatever it is called. Even those fights were tough. I never use emotion/sl;ow/chaos abut will start now. Thanks for the advice. I do have those spells in my arsenal. Slow, maybe not. It's possible I have had years of unnecessary Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale frustrations by missing out on some crucial easy buffs.

I know the feeling. It was only on my recent playthroughs that I discovered the magic of the emotion spells and slow. My younger self just threw fire at guys until they stopped twitching.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Metal Meltdown posted:

I know the feeling. It was only on my recent playthroughs that I discovered the magic of the emotion spells and slow. My younger self just threw fire at guys until they stopped twitching.

Emotion is so good. It should be even better in the 1.3 patch because beholders no longer shoot rays when affected by it.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

BadAstronaut posted:

That's because I spoke to some fool in the inn who took me to the castle.
I would suggest that you go back to that castle right before you are to set off for another island in order to face the main villain of HoW.

When in the main game did you go to the HoW material by the way? I normally do it after collecting the five badges.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

(Mild non-plot spoilers below for those of you not done with IWD)

I couldn't find all the badges. I ended up killing the frost giants and freeing the slaves. Had to fight a ton of enemies. Loads. And I still have some badges and I think some slaves are still milling around. I don't think I have changed the temperature yet. That kills a lot of things, right?

I think I only have a handful of badges. Where do I get the rest?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

(Mild non-plot spoilers below for those of you not done with IWD)

I couldn't find all the badges. I ended up killing the frost giants and freeing the slaves. Had to fight a ton of enemies. Loads. And I still have some badges and I think some slaves are still milling around. I don't think I have changed the temperature yet. That kills a lot of things, right?

I think I only have a handful of badges. Where do I get the rest?

Head into the caves in the next area over in the north-east. You'll end up in an area with gnomes and salamanders. The other badges can be found here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bu...buh....buh....but we dont need no stinking badges!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Draile posted:

Yes, the enhanced editions characters are purchasable DLC. And yes, you can import a character. The process is weird. You have to load a BG1 game with the character in it and then export the character. When doing so you will have the option of exporting it into BG2 if BG2 is installed.

That's the process for importing iOS BG1 into iOS BG2. I was asking for the more unusual iOS BG1 into PC BG2.

Which I suppose doesn't matter, since with both on sale on Steam this week I'll probably just buy both for PC and be done with it. gently caress in-game DLC.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So does the Cloakwood get unlocked during story progression?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bring Minsc to make best use of a special treasure there!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

Bring Minsc to make best use of a special treasure there!

This seems like the general advice I hear from everyone about the game. Don't worry, I'm definitely following it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sewer levels tend to be the worst in videogames but they all pale to the Cloakwood Forest. It may be the least fun I have ever had in a videogame and I love the Baldur's Gate series.

"Why are you so fat?" being its only saving grace if you manage to trudge through the poo poo.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Decrepus posted:

Sewer levels tend to be the worst in videogames but they all pale to the Cloakwood Forest. It may be the least fun I have ever had in a videogame and I love the Baldur's Gate series.

"Why are you so fat?" being its only saving grace if you manage to trudge through the poo poo.

Firewine Ruins are like a billion times worse than Cloakwood 2. At least Cloakwood 2 has the aforementioned Really Good Treasure

E: though they're not on the critical path, I guess.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What's wrong with Cloakwood?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

FairGame posted:

Firewine Ruins are like a billion times worse than Cloakwood 2. At least Cloakwood 2 has the aforementioned Really Good Treasure

E: though they're not on the critical path, I guess.

Never go inside the Firewine Ruins. There is nothing in there and the area is terrible. Just visit the outskirts for the weapon mastery bracers.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't hate Cloakwood but I understand people who do. Two areas are filled with undetectable web traps and the dungeon at the end no different than the Nashkel Mines.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I can see it being a bit of a hell area if you there early without exploring the rest of the Sword coast first. Once you've done it enough times you recall where all the traps are in the 2nd map which makes it a lot easier too.

It also has the BEST MUSIC OF THE GAME in the last map in front of the stables which sadly isn't used anywhere else that I can recall, except for the trailer for Icewind Dale.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Draile posted:

I don't hate Cloakwood but I understand people who do. Two areas are filled with undetectable web traps and the dungeon at the end no different than the Nashkel Mines.

There's only one map with traps and they're definitely detectable.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Draile posted:

Never go inside the Firewine Ruins. There is nothing in there and the area is terrible. Just visit the outskirts for the weapon mastery bracers.

The mage in there drops a stoneskin scroll (can't remember if this is EE or Tutu though, might only be tutu)

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

fong posted:

The mage in there drops a stoneskin scroll (can't remember if this is EE or Tutu though, might only be tutu)

He drops one of the only cloud kill scrolls too. In BG1 that is a monster.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Any word yet on when iOS gets the new BG2 patch? That's really what's holding me back from buying the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Well right after asking about Cloakwood I get to its actual plot point, so I guess I'll see if it's the hell it seems to be described as.