Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ugh, apparently notification priority states are linked between phone and wear if you have a Lollipop device and Lollipop wear.

I'm getting more and more glad by the day that I'm still on KitKat on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if this goes here or in FLC but doing more research on the UP3 and I was completely wrong, it does resting heart rate with a mention of doing fitness heart rate at some point in the future.

So I guess I am going for the Charge HR? Is there another one that I am missing that isn't further into the smart watch territory like the Band or Basis Peak?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Three Olives posted:

I don't know if this goes here or in FLC but doing more research on the UP3 and I was completely wrong, it does resting heart rate with a mention of doing fitness heart rate at some point in the future.

So I guess I am going for the Charge HR? Is there another one that I am missing that isn't further into the smart watch territory like the Band or Basis Peak?

Ugh that's pretty lame. I think and I could be completely wrong, that Fitbit took multi sport from the charge HR and it's only in the Surge. Which was a big reason why I was initially looking at it in the first place. To get close to accurate calorie burn stars when doing things like lifting or high intensity workouts.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Pebble now natively supports Android Wear notifications. :aaa:

God, if they manage a color ePaper display and some added horsepower at CES with similar battery life and still undercutting Apple and Google they could have a huge, huge winner on their hands.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, supports in Beta.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt to the evolving Wear API as they are essentially writing a wrapper for it. If they can keep up, it's a great thing for Pebble owners. If they can't or Google prevents non-wear devices from utilizing wear notifications somehow, then they are back to square one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It says you can reply also on their site?!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

It says you can reply also on their site?!

Tried it out last night and this morning, there's reply "templates" like "See You Soon" etc, and a shortlist of emoji (mostly the basic faces, poop is there too though!)

If they get some semblance of navigation display working I'll be set (I've tried NavMe's trial, baked-in support would be preferred though). This is great.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this but is anyone aware of boxing day/post-xmas sales on Android Wear devices? I finally have the spare $$'s to treat myself but after the $80-100 spree of G Watch sales on Black Friday, I'm hesitant to drop cash on something at the immediate moment ( even if I can find G Watches for $130 on Amazon ). It's probably too early for retailers to be advertising those types of sales since they want to get the most they can out of people buying xmas presents, but you never know!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this but is anyone aware of boxing day/post-xmas sales on Android Wear devices? I finally have the spare $$'s to treat myself but after the $80-100 spree of G Watch sales on Black Friday, I'm hesitant to drop cash on something at the immediate moment ( even if I can find G Watches for $130 on Amazon ). It's probably too early for retailers to be advertising those types of sales since they want to get the most they can out of people buying xmas presents, but you never know!

Newegg just had the gwatch for $79.99 again yesterday. Setup a slickdeals alert or something.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fyallm posted:

With the new update everytime I delete an email notification or anything on my Moto 360 it buzzes after it has successfully completed the action. I cannot for the life find the option to turn off this annoying buzz, anyone have any idea?

Anyone? I still can't figure out how to turn off the completed buzz.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So some Targets have Fitbit Charge HRs in stock right now, Fitbit released limited stock of the Surge and Charge HR early. I picked one up today. I really liked the Jawbone UP3 but continuous HR monitoring is huge and it looks like the Charge HR is the only thing in the near future that has it even though I am not terrible happy about being locked into the Fitbit ecosystem so much I already have a Fitbit Aria so eh.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 19, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

So some Targets have Fitbit Charge HRs in stock right now, Fitbit released limited stock of the Surge and Charge HR early. I picked one up today. I really liked the Jawbone UP3 but continuous HR monitoring is huge and it looks like the Charge HR is the only thing in the near future that has it even though I am not terrible happy about being locked into the Fitbit ecosystem so much I already have a Fitbit Aria so eh.

Some Sports Authority stores also supposedly have it, but I've checked both there and my local Target twice this week with no dice. The Target electronics people were under the impression they still weren't going to see it until January.

I have to imagine there was some engineering or production disruption that kept the Charge HR from shipping until now. Surely you don't gather around a boardroom table and say "folks, our fall 2013 flagship product was kind of a clusterfuck and we had to buy them all back, so let's top that by shipping our 2014 model a week before Christmas and not telling anyone."

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ok facer is pretty great. I was finally able to get just a plain black background with text for the time without all that crazy bullshit that other premade watch faces include.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Some Sports Authority stores also supposedly have it, but I've checked both there and my local Target twice this week with no dice. The Target electronics people were under the impression they still weren't going to see it until January.

I have to imagine there was some engineering or production disruption that kept the Charge HR from shipping until now. Surely you don't gather around a boardroom table and say "folks, our fall 2013 flagship product was kind of a clusterfuck and we had to buy them all back, so let's top that by shipping our 2014 model a week before Christmas and not telling anyone."

Yeah, I really don't understand what they are doing, I guess whatever production issues they were having cleared up and they didn't want to just sit on a bunch of inventory through the holidays.

And to make things even more confusing there is the Charge HR and the Charge, the Target that I bought mine at had them both mixed together. I honestly don't understand why the Charge without HR even exists, the $20 price differential is nothing for continuous HR monitoring. I get that for most people HR is useless but they should be selling them the Flex instead of the Charge, managing 8 SKUs over a $20 price difference is insane to me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Well, the plain old Charge basically seems to be the Force, except with a screwed together enclosure instead of one that's glued. Fitbit eventually concluded it was the glue in the Force that was causing the rashes. It's so much the same device that Charge-havers with older sync software have the software saying they've got a Force.

So they can reuse the engineering from last years model, and get something in the market at a little lower price point for people who want a display but don't want to drop $150 on the HR model.

That said I can't think of a reason to buy the vanilla Charge, even if you don't want HR tracking. The clasp on Fitbit's bands is way too much of a hair trigger and it has this tendency to snap off way too easily. The HR has a buckle like a watch, instead of a snap clasp, so it's not going to snap off when you snag it on a sleeve.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Well, the plain old Charge basically seems to be the Force, except with a screwed together enclosure instead of one that's glued. Fitbit eventually concluded it was the glue in the Force that was causing the rashes. It's so much the same device that Charge-havers with older sync software have the software saying they've got a Force.

Which explains why the Charge is inexplicably larger than the Charge HR, I didn't consider that but it makes perfect sense.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Glad i got the metal band for the pebble. Not having to worry about water is a godsend

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of bands, where the hell do I get one for the G Watch that's stainless steel, has a deployment clasp with buttons, and isn't $100?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of bands, where the hell do I get one for the G Watch that's stainless steel, has a deployment clasp with buttons, and isn't $100?

Its just 22mm right?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=22mm+metal+band

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't get the http://www.amazon.com/Ritche-Stainl...22mm+metal+band

It literally fell to pieces after about a month of use and I had to get a new one.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Any longterm moto360 users give any recommendations as I'm getting one for my birthday for apps/ setup for wear etc... ? I'm running a nexus 5 on lollipop.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

captain poopfister posted:

Any longterm moto360 users give any recommendations as I'm getting one for my birthday for apps/ setup for wear etc... ? I'm running a nexus 5 on lollipop.

I'm running the same phone, and I love my Moto 360. As far as apps go, things are pretty basic right now, but it's got great support for fitness stuff like Runkeeper, and the update offers some fantastic watchface options. What are you hoping to use it for?
Maximizing your battery life kinda varies on what you're willing to tolerate. I have Ambient Mode off/Tilt To Wake Screen on, and it's pretty conservative; I hear the other way around is also decent. Or you can turn them both off and have it run for days.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I'm planning to basically help me organize as my work runs off google docs/mail, track my fitness a bit, help manage the anxiety I get (old job was very stressful, but Im recovering well) and track cycling stuff.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
If by track your fitness you mean use the heart rate/ step counter they are both basically useless.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Three Olives posted:

If by track your fitness you mean use the heart rate/ step counter they are both basically useless.

What's wrong with the heart rate checker?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Unless something has changed it is super, super finicky with questionable accuracy and doesn't really track data in a meaningful way.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

As someone who owns a moto 360 and will always recommend it, don't buy it for the heart rate sensor

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Three Olives posted:

Unless something has changed it is super, super finicky with questionable accuracy and doesn't really track data in a meaningful way.

I find that as a ballpark for "am I being paced" it's good enough - 95-120 means no, 70 means yes.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

How are you finding the Charge HR's accuracy? Like yourself I was thinking of picking up the new UP Band, but I've since been swayed to try out the Fitbit.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How are you finding the Charge HR's accuracy? Like yourself I was thinking of picking up the new UP Band, but I've since been swayed to try out the Fitbit.

No problems with reading, It's winter and dark outside by the time I get home to run so I've been on the treadmill. It's within a few beats at 170ish according to the treadmill hand grips (Top of the line Cybex), I haven't checked against my Forerunner chest strap yet. The one thing is it is reading my resting heart rate at 70 the last day when it is normally in the high 40s low 50s but it has been a boozy and stressful two days, it put me at 55 the first day.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What made you choose the Charge HR over the Surge?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Is anyone else, since updating to android wear 5.0.1 (on a G watch or others) seeming to get notifications a lot less reliably, and also not having google play music controls pop up anymore? I'm kind of pissed it used to work great, and now seems very unreliable.

Edit : This is running on a Note 4 on 4.4.4 NK3

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 22, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

Is anyone else, since updating to android wear 5.0.1 (on a G watch or others) seeming to get notifications a lot less reliably, and also not having google play music controls pop up anymore? I'm kind of pissed it used to work great, and now seems very unreliable.

I'm getting this on a Moto 360 (paired with a N5 runing 5.0.1), same as you, started when Wear updated to 5.0.1. Rebooting the watch seems to fix it but it starts again after a day or so, it's pretty annoying.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

What made you choose the Charge HR over the Surge?

Already own a Android Wear, Pebble and Forerunner and I'm not going to run without my phone on me so I didn't see any point to getting the Surge because it overlaps so much with everything else I own.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nerdrock posted:

Edit : This is running on a Note 4 on 4.4.4 NK3

I have no new problems with Lollipop on my G Watch and 4.4.4 on my M8, although I do notice the only time my watch bothers to light up and vibrate for Facebook messages is when I'm actively using the phone, and can, you know, see a Facebook message pop up there, too.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I have no new problems with Lollipop on my G Watch and 4.4.4 on my M8, although I do notice the only time my watch bothers to light up and vibrate for Facebook messages is when I'm actively using the phone, and can, you know, see a Facebook message pop up there, too.

For me, Facebook Messenger is the app that's consistently given me that issue ever since I got the thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting it on Hangouts and Gmail, doesn't seem to be app specific.

If I wake the watch up I'll get the missing notification (complete with vibration) so it's almost like it's gone to sleep and isn't waking up properly when required.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Already own a Android Wear, Pebble and Forerunner and I'm not going to run without my phone on me so I didn't see any point to getting the Surge because it overlaps so much with everything else I own.

Thanks for the reply :)

I have none of those and I don't run with my phone so that helps make the decision for me. Surge is my second choice after the Band but gently caress if I can ever find the latter in a store.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

Thanks for the reply :)

I have none of those and I don't run with my phone so that helps make the decision for me. Surge is my second choice after the Band but gently caress if I can ever find the latter in a store.

If you are looking for the Surge Target had them when I bought my Charge HR but it's the same with the Charge HR, it's not "officially out", there is just haphazard stock in some stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't get the http://www.amazon.com/Ritche-Stainl...22mm+metal+band

It literally fell to pieces after about a month of use and I had to get a new one.

Has anyone used this one for a G Watch (or any other 22mm band smartwatch)? http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-P...22mm+metal+band

All the comments are from Pebble people but it seems like it might do the trick for what I want - looks like metal but isn't.