Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just played a few minutes and I kind of like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
No kill runs are definitely best kept for a replay.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

and for the love of god don't go for no kill, ghost, and mostly flesh and steel in the same run

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hog Inspector posted:

and for the love of god don't go for no kill, ghost, and mostly flesh and steel in the same run

No-kill & Ghost are doable if you get the fast choke charm early, doing all three at once is a no go.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

juliuspringle posted:

I just played a few minutes and I kind of like it.

Wrong.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What about The Last Remnant?

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There's actually a lot here that I found pretty helpful:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Last_Remnant

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Not really sure where to ask this so I'll try here, I guess. I looked for and couldn't find a Tomb Raider thread so excuse me if I'm blind.

Just got Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. I'm really excited for it. Is the game considerably better with 3 or 4 players vs just 2? A friend and I loved the first game and are ready to dive into this one co-op but I don't want to feel like I'm getting a gimped experience because I'm not playing with 4 players. I could probably round up another friend or two but it would be a while before all our schedules lined up. Online co-op doesn't especially interest me for this game.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 23, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Use a guide because poo poo doesn't make sense and playing it like a normal game will gently caress you later on.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PJOmega posted:

No-kill & Ghost are doable if you get the fast choke charm early, doing all three at once is a no go.
:smug:

As soon as I saw that there were achievements for those things (before the game finished downloading), I figured there must be some awesome in-game reason to be the Guy Who Literally No-One Ever Sees And Whose Hands Remain Clean Forever.

As it turns out, that awesome in-game reason is actually the out-of-game reason "you get three achievements." And I guess the satisfaction of knowing that there is literally no-one who could/should have known who you were/that you were coming, at least for most of the game.

To me though, the game is screaming at you "USING THESE THINGS IS STRAIGHT-UP EVIL IN AN UNFATHOMABLY DARK WAY" so I am surprised more people do not end up getting Mostly Flesh and Steel anyway.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Quarex posted:

:smug:

As soon as I saw that there were achievements for those things (before the game finished downloading), I figured there must be some awesome in-game reason to be the Guy Who Literally No-One Ever Sees And Whose Hands Remain Clean Forever.

As it turns out, that awesome in-game reason is actually the out-of-game reason "you get three achievements." And I guess the satisfaction of knowing that there is literally no-one who could/should have known who you were/that you were coming, at least for most of the game.

To me though, the game is screaming at you "USING THESE THINGS IS STRAIGHT-UP EVIL IN AN UNFATHOMABLY DARK WAY" so I am surprised more people do not end up getting Mostly Flesh and Steel anyway.

Well, there are lots of tiny details in game that change if you do a ghost run. For example, Wanted posters will not show your face.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything for Mark of the Ninja?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Don't go too hog-wild going for a high score on your first playthrough. There are costumes, perks and secondary weapons you unlock throughout the game, as well as a harder difficulty/new game+ upon finishing the game. Some thing goes for some of the achievements, some of them are better saved for a second playthrough as well.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8:Xtreme:Complete Edition:Yadda, yadda? There's just so much stuff and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game nor have more than a passing knowledge or RotTK.

Main doubts after dicking around with a some early missions and Ambiton mode:

- Combat seems pretty simple: No dodge, a slow block, no tells from the millions of enemies except for the very slow ones from commanders...
- What does the blue/red bar during battles do? Is some kind of initiative/morale thing?
- Should I bother trying to defend my allies, or just charge to the next objective?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Don't go too hog-wild going for a high score on your first playthrough. There are costumes, perks and secondary weapons you unlock throughout the game, as well as a harder difficulty/new game+ upon finishing the game. Some thing goes for some of the achievements, some of them are better saved for a second playthrough as well.

So basically don't stress out trying to stealth everyone on the first go. Because that is what I was doing. The stressing out I mean.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you enjoy playing stealthily, by all means play like that. But don't keep restarting check-points because that one guard just happened to spot you before you killed him. You get some awesome tools throughout that makes stealth easier and more fun.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fat Samurai posted:

- Combat seems pretty simple: No dodge, a slow block, no tells from the millions of enemies except for the very slow ones from commanders...

Combat's all about you being cooler than the enemy. If I had the means to I'd show you what high-end DW8 combat looks like. Dodging and blocking aren't necessary as you should be trying to kill them that quickly.

I could tell you about each weapon's good combos and elemental hits, skill selection on weapons, so on and so forth but I think it would just be confusing at this point.

quote:

- What does the blue/red bar during battles do? Is some kind of initiative/morale thing?

It's morale, technically, and it doesn't really do much. If you fight the battle it'll fill on its own.

quote:

- Should I bother trying to defend my allies, or just charge to the next objective?

Do objectives, and the allies will be fine anyway. The only times this doesn't so strictly hold is optional goals for the hypothetical routes. The game will tell you what those are after you clear the stage. You do the optional thing then charge to the next objective, in that case.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

So basically don't stress out trying to stealth everyone on the first go. Because that is what I was doing. The stressing out I mean.

You get awesome powers in later stages that you can replay later. So yes, don't stress out. Let your first play be off the cuff as some of the best moments are getting into a tough situation and winging it. The game gives you a lot of options to overcome the enemies.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Persona Q? I've finished P4 but haven't played an Etrian Odyssey game beyond the EO4 demo.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8:Xtreme:Complete Edition:Yadda, yadda? There's just so much stuff and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game nor have more than a passing knowledge or RotTK.

Check the move list when you use a character for the first time to find what their specials are. Combat is basically mash light attack, then heavy a couple of times to finish a combo.

I'd burn through the story mode before doing ambition, since it will help you level up your characters and get used to them before you dig into the more open stuff. Order isn't super important, but starting with wei and working your way down is worth it.

E:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Persona Q? I've finished P4 but haven't played an Etrian Odyssey game beyond the EO4 demo.

I'm not very far in, but the one thing that stood out to me was that the MP and HP bonuses you get from Sub-personas recover after every battle, so don't worry about being stuck without magic or being super super low on health going into a random encounter.

Also, most non-bosses are weak to either mudo or hama, so go hog wild with them. Naoto gets both relatively quickly, but it's not hard to get a sub persona with them, either.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 24, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dr Snofeld posted:

here's a few random tips.

try to stick to a single main party. leveling everyone up equally will just drive you insane and isn't really necessary thanks to sub-personas.

every floor of every dungeon has a special chest that can be opened when you walk on every tile of the map, or by paying play coins. if you literally can't get to a certain space without fighting an FOE, that space won't count towards map completion.

ailments are your best friend. poison is incredibly helpful for taking out early FOEs, and panic breaks most of the game in half because panicked characters/enemies can't dodge, can't use skills, and attack random targets, so it totally neuters them offensively and defensively.

naoto will trivialize every random encounter once she gets mahama/mamudo, especially if you get her the passive that increases ailment success rate, since instant death is considered an ailment in this game. her high luck also makes her the go-to caster for ailment spells in general.

aigis is a really effective tank if you get her a persona with pain eater, which makes enemies more likely to attack her and increases her defense.

you'll periodically find growth accessories that let characters who aren't in the active party get leaked experience. if you aren't using both protagonists, then always give the best growth accessory you have to the protagonist you aren't using. you'll be glad you did.

always save your game before trying a meet request. all of them have extra rewards if you pick the right dialog choices.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's morale, technically, and it doesn't really do much. If you fight the battle it'll fill on its own.

Much like roads and pants, it's a suggestion; Omega Force games are about murdering everything between points A and B, where A is where you start on the map, and B is... the map.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

here's a few random tips.

try to stick to a single main party. leveling everyone up equally will just drive you insane and isn't really necessary thanks to sub-personas.

Aww man, you mean I have to choose? There's all my P4 favourites (and Yosuke I guess) AND there's a dog, how can anyone be expected to choose?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm still sucking at 7 Days To Die, and I could also use some tips about Risk of Rain.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Poison Mushroom posted:

some tips about Risk of Rain.

Play on the easiest mode (Drizzle) to start out. You can unlock almost every character and all or almost all items on this level (Even though the in game tooltip seems to suggest nothing unlocks permanently). One character you can't unlock is the Huntress, who I'd say is the easiest to use -- you need to be on the normal mode for her, because you unlock her through monster logs dropping, which doesn't happen on Normal. But wait until you have played more before trying Normal.

In terms of actually playing -- stay mobile, rush for the teleporters and trigger the bosses before messing around with chests or enemies, unless they're on your way. The game gets harder as time passes, so you want to keep moving and clearing levels as quickly as you can. When you trigger the teleporter, you get 90 more seconds when enemies can spawn (and you fight the boss). Keep running around during those 90 seconds, and beat the boss if you can, and then after the timer has expired, you can mop things up and spend what you have (it's not worth carrying money out of a level -- the EXP you get for it is minimal.).

In terms of items to aim for, play around with everything, but in the early game, I like the syringe (to increase attack speed), goat hoof (to increase run speed), anything that lets me shoot missiles, and anything makes enemies explode or turn into ghosts. If you want to try to get artifacts early on, getting the one that lets you select the item you want from any chest makes the game a lot easier -- you'll want to consult a wiki for that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

As someone who enjoys the DW series, is this worth getting, or is there an earlier (cheaper) entry that's superior to it?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

McCoy Pauley posted:

Play on the easiest mode (Drizzle) to start out. You can unlock almost every character and all or almost all items on this level (Even though the in game tooltip seems to suggest nothing unlocks permanently). One character you can't unlock is the Huntress, who I'd say is the easiest to use -- you need to be on the normal mode for her, because you unlock her through monster logs dropping, which doesn't happen on Normal. But wait until you have played more before trying Normal.

In terms of actually playing -- stay mobile, rush for the teleporters and trigger the bosses before messing around with chests or enemies, unless they're on your way. The game gets harder as time passes, so you want to keep moving and clearing levels as quickly as you can. When you trigger the teleporter, you get 90 more seconds when enemies can spawn (and you fight the boss). Keep running around during those 90 seconds, and beat the boss if you can, and then after the timer has expired, you can mop things up and spend what you have (it's not worth carrying money out of a level -- the EXP you get for it is minimal.).

In terms of items to aim for, play around with everything, but in the early game, I like the syringe (to increase attack speed), goat hoof (to increase run speed), anything that lets me shoot missiles, and anything makes enemies explode or turn into ghosts. If you want to try to get artifacts early on, getting the one that lets you select the item you want from any chest makes the game a lot easier -- you'll want to consult a wiki for that.

Aim for the Glass artifact as early as possible. It's what made the game fun for me, even if it's kinda unbalanced.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Really basic Legend of Grimrock question (the first one, not the sequel, although maybe it's the same for both) -- if I have an unarmed combat guy in the front row, can I also have him hold the torch, or does he need both hands free to be fully effective? I've got my unarmed guy with the torch right now, and he can hit, but I'm not sure if he would do better if he had both hands free.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've got the craving for some really stupid anime game, so I'm putting some time into .hack GU. I played the first game and I think a bit of the second when I was in early high school, but remember almost none of it and probably hosed it up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What should I know before I play King of Dragon Pass

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do not play with a modern mindset. Try to think like a bronze age viking.
Even if you are a peace tribe, raid from time to time.
Get an Elmali on your Circle.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Always listen to your trickster. Always.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Save at least 2-3 magic points each sacred time, not only are they a useful reserve, they boost your luck just by being there.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Shovel Knight? I doubt there's anything, but still.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Shovel Knight? I doubt there's anything, but still.

Put this in the name entry screen.

WSWWAEAW

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cattle raids aren't considered an aggressive action and your people totally expect you to do it in the warm season. You can raid your allies without them hating you and they'll probably be raiding you.

The ultimate goal of the game is to sacrifice for secrets until you learn the legend that unites the tribe. You have to ally with a certain number of tribes then go through a hero quest that tests your knowledge of the in-game lore. Needless to say you'll probably fail your first try and that's okay, the fun of the game is seeing all the events.

Base all your choices on the creation of your tribe. If you didn't take thralls then don't take thralls. Are dragons your hated enemy? Fight them when given the opportunity. You'll get a bonus to the god you sought out and so on. Listen to your council and don't try to game the system, think like a tribal leader in a fantasy land.

Don't gently caress with the ducks.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

al-azad posted:

Cattle raids aren't considered an aggressive action and your people totally expect you to do it in the warm season. You can raid your allies without them hating you and they'll probably be raiding you.

This should be cattle raid, don't actually raid your allies. Also don't cattle raid your allies, raid those punks in the Varmandi clan who walked off with your prized cow last Fire season and who mutter unkind words to your allies when your backs are turned

If you make a peace treaty with a clan, don't break it until they do or your reputation'll plummet. That includes cattle raiding.

Luisfe posted:

Get an Elmali on your Circle.

This should actually be an Eurmali, the guys with the three dots in a triangle under their portrait. Elmali (the guys that have the horses) are usually good at combat, magic, and animals, but they're not necessary by any means.

But yeah, other tips:

Make sure you have seven distinct gods represented on your clan ring, and try to always make the person on the far left a follower of your clan deity (whoever you pick in the marriage of Orlanth and Ernalda at the start of the game).
There's very rarely an objectively correct or incorrect answer to events. How well your choice does depends on how good your clan ring is at each of the seven skills and how lucky you are.
At character creation, the only question that's a false choice is the "how much land do you take" question. Always take a little more than you need, to grow into. If you take less, you basically can't grow, and if you take more your patrols'll have a hard time keeping your tula safe.
Never raid during Sea or Earth season. During Sea season, you need all hands to plant seeds, and during Earth you need all hands to bring in the harvest. If you raid, it'll piss off Ernalda and the grain goddesses and you'll also get way less food than usual.
Never, ever, in a million years should you put any points into child magic or get anything that boosts childbirth rates. Unless you get hilariously unlucky you'll get enough people without it, and until children are initiated they're just useless hungry mouths. The exception is Orlanth's Rattle, which sounds like it boosts childbirth but actually makes all your children (including new nobles) better.

Some more spoilery tips:
Humakt's Truesword blessing is arguably the most important blessing in the game, it makes your weaponthanes dramatically better and combat a lot less terrifying. Vinga's blessings are both good, and once you get Earthblood from Maran Gor you're basically never going to starve to death.
The very first thing you should do, every game, is to adjust the amount of land you have so that you start producing about a thousand food. That'll piss off the elves a bit, but you can usually deal with it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fungah! posted:

This should actually be an Eurmali, the guys with the three dots in a triangle under their portrait. Elmali (the guys that have the horses) are usually good at combat, magic, and animals, but they're not necessary by any means.

For easy reference:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm still sucking at 7 Days To Die

When you spawn in, goal 1 is to make a stone axe with a sharpened rock, plant fibers, and a stick. Get the stick by punching bushes, find a rock on the ground and craft it to get a sharp one, punch grass to get some grass and then craft it to get plant fibers.

Next priorities are a crossbow and a decent club. The crossbow is just sticks and plant fibers, and the stone axe makes harvesting more of that stuff easy. A decent club (and which club to use) is gonna depend on how much scrap iron (2 empty cans = 1 scrap iron) you can get before needing a club. Look up the wooden club, barbed club, and iron reinforced club.

The crossbow really makes a huge difference in your ability to handle zombies, especially bloated walkers and tundra zombies like the big frozen lumberjack guys; 1 bolt to the head drops anything but a cop on default difficulty, whereas even with a top-tier club multiple swings are required.

Day 1 the two big gates to overcome are getting a Forge Ahead book (allows you to craft a forge with rocks and an iron pipe; break toilets to get an iron pipe if zombies don't drop one first for you) and a cooking pot (needed to boil water and avoid dysentery.)

As you progress, an important thing to remember about 7 days to die is the "heat" system; things that attract zombies are "heat" and too much "heat" in an area spawns a group of spider zombies (fuckers who can claim, and can scream to summon a horde.) Dead animal carcasses, smells (from carrying meat, etc), using a forge or cookfire, torches, noise from crafting or opening/closing containers, gunshots, etc all attracts zombies. So do as much of these things as possible AWAY from wherever you're sheltering overnight. The Final Solution is to live down at bedrock and put your forges/campfires at the bottom of a chunk a handful of chunks away from your fortress. Some areas (burned forest or wasteland biome, urban areas) have slightly different heat rules; in heavily built up areas it pays to rely on stealth, crossbows and clubs rather than loud shotgun blasts.

Finally, the zombies seem both durable and hard-hitting early, but once you have at least a set of leather armor (read the leather tanning book to learn leather crafting) and a spiked club (requires 4 iron ingots from your forge) anything shy of a horde attack becomes pretty trivial. Once firearms and powertools enter the mix, even a horde is no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

Anything on Elite: Dangerous or should I look for the main thread?

Playing with a stick.

When docking you'll need to land facing the back of the station, don't try to land in another orientation.

When docking, the compass point towards your landing pad. Map the strafe keys + forward/back for easier alignment.

Map your discovery scanner to a secondary Fire button, hold it down in systems you haven't visited before. When you've travelled more tha 20ly you can sell the results.

Once you're given clearance to leave, leave the station. Trespass attracts a fine, then they start shooting.

The blue indicator on the throttle is your turning and speed sweet spot, it's also a good indicator of the correct power band when super cruising. I personally try to keep the countdown around 7 seconds until I'm near the destination, the adjust to suit. If you overshoot, just loop it around.

Cans scooped from space are stolen and attract a fine, but ship scans take a while to complete, so you can either sneak into stations, or my favorite, get fast.

Ship equipment is usually best found at high population, high tech worlds. It comes in four sizes, 1-4, and five classes from A-E. Match the size to the bay size, and aim for a being best. The nuances should be obvious once you figure things out.

Buy a better power distributor.

You can't currently move ships, so if you're planning to travel, sell your spares.