Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

FileBot or theRenamer

Is one better than the other? I was hoping to download files to a directory or 3 so they can seed, have one of these tools copy to my NAS and then rename it. The important part is not to mess up the original file name while it's in the original location so I can keep my ratio in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just copy-drag the files into the Sonarr watch folder, and it handles the renaming/moving/organisation without a fuss (unless someone has really botched the filenames).

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

eddiewalker posted:

Considered skipping the IR receiver and putting the money toward a Roku, FireTV or whatever?

Put the noisy server in a closet and stream to a small appliance which can also do Netflix-type stuff well.

Yeah, I have a fireTV (formerly an appleTV 2) on my upstairs TV, but I value 24p output because I'll have this box sitting in the basement outputting to my projector and I don't think any streaming-stick type devices can manage that.

Though now that I think of it, maybe I'll leave the ION box where it is (running Plex/XBMC client hooked up to the projector) and just move all the downloading/serving functions that it currently does onto the new ThinkServer.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just copy-drag the files into the Sonarr watch folder, and it handles the renaming/moving/organisation without a fuss (unless someone has really botched the filenames).

Thanks. Do you recommend it over the other 2?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, I have a fireTV (formerly an appleTV 2) on my upstairs TV, but I value 24p output because I'll have this box sitting in the basement outputting to my projector and I don't think any streaming-stick type devices can manage that.

Though now that I think of it, maybe I'll leave the ION box where it is (running Plex/XBMC client hooked up to the projector) and just move all the downloading/serving functions that it currently does onto the new ThinkServer.

Yeah, make use of the ION Box by installing Plex Home Theater (bottom right https://plex.tv/downloads), and have it direct play content served from the TS140. When you install Plex HT on the ION box, go into the advanced video settings and make sure to select adjust display refresh rate to match the video and select sync playback to display with the A/V sync set to audio clock. That should give you solid 24p playback.

[edit] I'm assuming the ION box is capable of 1080p HD playback, right? Otherwise you can set it up to have it always receive transcoded content from the TS140 as oppose to direct playing it.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 22, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

rock2much posted:

Thanks. Do you recommend it over the other 2?

It's different, because it's a full media management tool. It's mainly designed to scour Usenet for files (Dev version does torrents too now) but it's great for keeping tabs on your entire collection in one go. From what I've used of filebot it's basically a 'put files in, get renamed files out' solution. I have it installed for when I need to clean up things I don't necessarily need in my archive.

Sonarr.tv is their site, it gives a decent overview of what it does and you can work out whether it's what your looking for, or if it's overkill.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's different, because it's a full media management tool. It's mainly designed to scour Usenet for files (Dev version does torrents too now) but it's great for keeping tabs on your entire collection in one go. From what I've used of filebot it's basically a 'put files in, get renamed files out' solution. I have it installed for when I need to clean up things I don't necessarily need in my archive.

Sonarr.tv is their site, it gives a decent overview of what it does and you can work out whether it's what your looking for, or if it's overkill.

Oh nice! I haven't touched Usenet in a long time but If I do I'll have this bookmarked. Thanks again.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was so confused looking at sonarr until I realized it was the newly-renamed nzbdrone, which I was already using. Terrible new name. The app is great though if you're on the usenet train. I like it a lot better than Sickbeard.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

teagone posted:

Yeah, make use of the ION Box by installing Plex Home Theater (bottom right https://plex.tv/downloads), and have it direct play content served from the TS140. When you install Plex HT on the ION box, go into the advanced video settings and make sure to select adjust display refresh rate to match the video and select sync playback to display with the A/V sync set to audio clock. That should give you solid 24p playback.

[edit] I'm assuming the ION box is capable of 1080p HD playback, right? Otherwise you can set it up to have it always receive transcoded content from the TS140 as oppose to direct playing it.

Yeah, the ION is capable of doing 1080p24 no problem running either XBMC or Plex HT.

I wasn't very impressed by the Plex HT client for Linux the last time I tried it, it's pretty poor compared to the iOS/Android clients and basically just reminded me of using an XBMC version from 3-4 years ago. Should I consider the Windows Plex client for that box instead or is that no better than the Linux version?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 23, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, the ION is capable of doing 1080p24 no problem running either XBMC or Plex HT.

I wasn't very impressed by the Plex HT client for Linux the last time I tried it, it's pretty poor compared to the iOS/Android clients and basically just reminded me of using an XBMC version from 3-4 years ago. Should I consider the Windows Plex client for that box instead or is that no better than the Linux version?

Plex HT for Windows is pretty solid. It's what I use currently on my HTPC. Reason the linux one you were using wasn't up to par was probably because HT for that platform is only available in third party builds. Plex HT for both PC and Mac are identical and is a great way to access content from your Plex server. Windows also has a Windows 8 style Plex app that you can buy from the market, but Plex HT is free so that's what I typically recommend to anyone who has a HTPC running windows. From what i understand though, the Windows 8 style app looks/functions similar to the Plex app for Xbox, i.e., it's more sleek and modern looking. That's not to say Plex HT for PC/Mac doesn't look good though, haha. It looks/functions great.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2014

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
So this month or next I'm planning on moving to a more permanent solution for plex, downloads, storage, and other stuff that isn't my primary machine. It's a more expensive route, but I'm leaning towards a newer mac mini and a drobo. Anyone have any experiences to talk me out of this? I'm open to hearing other suggestions if anyone cares to share any with me. Mac will have more of a purpose than just a plex server / PHT box, eventually anyway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a similar setup. I found the drobo to be slow so I went overkill and picked up a huge synology NAS off of craigslist. I also got a used Mac mini that I will be dropping an ssd in to hopefully increase system speed while letting me get full download speed while I am doing other cpu intensive tasks. It's a pretty great setup but definitely overkill.

Little things about OS X are annoying like pop up notifications appearing occasionally and for whatever reason I can't get a few Python scripts to run at startup so it requires a little work but works well enough that my wife can use it reliably.

Definitely get wireless keyboard and mouse (like Logitech k400) and universal remote. I got the harmony smart hub which comes with a perfect small and simple remote along with letting you use your phone as a remote as well.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 23, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Unacknowledged posted:

So this month or next I'm planning on moving to a more permanent solution for plex, downloads, storage, and other stuff that isn't my primary machine. It's a more expensive route, but I'm leaning towards a newer mac mini and a drobo. Anyone have any experiences to talk me out of this? I'm open to hearing other suggestions if anyone cares to share any with me. Mac will have more of a purpose than just a plex server / PHT box, eventually anyway.

I went this way for a while, but eventually moved to a more powerful server and a fire tv. It worked fine, I used the apple remote, which plex does a really good job of mapping functions to. It was pretty bulletproof for the wife/kids to use.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Unacknowledged posted:

The packrats thread in SH/SC pretty much always calls the drobo stuff poo poo.

Get a Synology.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Unacknowledged posted:

The big question is if your going to be using this new box as a client as well as a server. If so, then yes, a 2012 Mac Mini or a Intel NUC might work (assuming you're using USB drives). However, if you're thinking about this just being a server, I'd look in to a Synology (if you're not going to be transcoding), an Asustor or building your own and using xpenology or freenas.

I previously was using a PC as the Plex client (for transcoding) and it was connected to my 2-bay synology. However, it ran into issues with more than a couple transcoding clients or if I had multiple people pulling 1080p files. My current server is one that I've built and it runs xpenology. It does multiple plex transcoding without an issue and has been rock solid.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

Has anyone else tried Openelec + plex? (not Plexbmc). I tried it the other day and have had some issues.

link: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

Heners_UK posted:

Took me a while to realize exactly why this wasn't Rasplex, but looks neat now that I understand. FWIW, I use Rasplex daily for over a year.

Rasplex is way too slow for me.

I have close to 2000 movies, and it takes forever to browse through titles.

Also, Rasplex does not seem to support multiple user profiles, while openelec does. Going with openelec allows me to use a more powerful PC, which I like.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 23, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
If you share your libraries with other users remotely, is it possible to only share some, like 1 library?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Zeitgueist posted:

If you share your libraries with other users remotely, is it possible to only share some, like 1 library?

Yes, you can specify the library. I share my video folder but not my photo folder with users.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a way to search libraries that have been shared with me, using the Android client? It seems to work fine from the web interface.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know how to automatically add unwatched episodes from a TV show to a playlist?

taqueso posted:

Is there a way to search libraries that have been shared with me, using the Android client? It seems to work fine from the web interface.

Make sure search for shared libraries enabled in the settings of the android client.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

kri kri posted:

Make sure search for shared libraries enabled in the settings of the android client.

Thank you :downs: The name of that option is very descriptive.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The Plex app is free again right now on Amazon devices for anybody who missed it the first time around.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What is a good NAS device I can get that might be able to be setup with raid 1 or raid 10, and/or has room to expand or swap out drives?

Don't tell me Synology, I deal with them at work and they're poo poo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What is a good NAS device I can get that might be able to be setup with raid 1 or raid 10, and/or has room to expand or swap out drives?

Synology really is a standout in the consumer NAS market, so maybe it would be helpful to hear why they're just poo poo. I've been really happy running xpenology on stronger hardware for cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wrong thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

eddiewalker posted:

Synology really is a standout in the consumer NAS market, so maybe it would be helpful to hear why they're just poo poo. I've been really happy running xpenology on stronger hardware for cheap.

Overpriced hardware, in comparison to a Lenovo ThinkServer or something similar. Software is just ok, but does nothing that a Linux install or a Windows install with a Linux VM running couldn't do.

They do look nice, and they're certainly compact. I have a DS212J that I like a lot, but I won't pretend it's better than a server you can roll yourself, except in terms of size.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bobfather posted:

Overpriced hardware, in comparison to a Lenovo ThinkServer or something similar. Software is just ok, but does nothing that a Linux install or a Windows install with a Linux VM running couldn't do.

They do look nice, and they're certainly compact. I have a DS212J that I like a lot, but I won't pretend it's better than a server you can roll yourself, except in terms of size.

That's a long way from calling them poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah sorry the hassle finding a case that holds 8 drives, dealing with additional parts, and worrying about hacking something together is the poo poo part. Synology is great out of the box and between the refurbed store and Craigslist you can often find a pretty good deal.

You seem to know enough to just roll your own. So do that. It's almost always "cheaper" in the end.

Has anyone heard of the Amazon fire plex apps being updated to use managed accounts? I'm tired of the half watched movies my parents start and fall asleep to being bumped to my on deck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That's a long way from calling them poo poo.

Primarily it's the power saving? function and how it accesses the data that makes it poo poo for our software. It needs to be on all the time, or you can run into W/R issues. That's not acceptable to me.

edit: is there a way to keep the movie trailers when switching to a chromecast? Seems it foregoes them when casting.

eddiewalker posted:

I think the software is pretty intuitive, but if you need me to show you where to turn off power scheduling, I can. I get by fine with a reasonable HD spindown.

At least with our software I work with, it can't be fixed. It's a design choice where something with it causes some sort of permissions issues iirc.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 26, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Primarily it's the power saving? function and how it accesses the data that makes it poo poo for our software. It needs to be on all the time, or you can run into W/R issues. That's not acceptable to me.

I think the software is pretty intuitive, but if you need me to show you where to turn off power scheduling, I can. I get by fine with a reasonable HD spindown.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm just starting to play around with a ThinkServer TS140 (i3-4130 version) for use as a Plex server+client.

Is it normal that transcoding 1080p x264 content for an iOS client uses 95% of the CPU on this box?

I'm probably only ever going to be streaming to one, possibly two devices at once, but I'm worried that I am not giving myself enough headroom for something that I'd like to keep as my HTPC solution for 3-4 years if a single 1080p stream is already basically maxing out the CPU. Should I have gone for something like the quad-core Xeon ThinkServer instead?

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm just starting to play around with a ThinkServer TS140 (i3-4130 version) for use as a Plex server+client.

Is it normal that transcoding 1080p x264 content for an iOS client uses 95% of the CPU on this box?

I'm probably only ever going to be streaming to one, possibly two devices at once, but I'm worried that I am not giving myself enough headroom for something that I'd like to keep as my HTPC solution for 3-4 years if a single 1080p stream is already basically maxing out the CPU. Should I have gone for something like the quad-core Xeon ThinkServer instead?

It's going to transcode as fast as it can. If nothing else is requesting CPU time, the transcoder will use as much as it can get. I've transcoded multiple 1080p streams using that same box.

Also, I'm assuming your source containers are MKV. You can do as I do and use a script to automatically convert your MKV files to MP4 before Plex adds them to the library, and then you could theoretically stream dozens of files simultaneously. Your only limit would be network bandwidth. This script is set up for SAB and Sickbeard but you could use it with anything else with just minor tinkering: http://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/1xtwp3/plex_sick_beard_and_couch_potato_mp4_automation/

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

10-8 posted:

It's going to transcode as fast as it can. If nothing else is requesting CPU time, the transcoder will use as much as it can get. I've transcoded multiple 1080p streams using that same box.

Also, I'm assuming your source containers are MKV. You can do as I do and use a script to automatically convert your MKV files to MP4 before Plex adds them to the library, and then you could theoretically stream dozens of files simultaneously. Your only limit would be network bandwidth. This script is set up for SAB and Sickbeard but you could use it with anything else with just minor tinkering: http://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/1xtwp3/plex_sick_beard_and_couch_potato_mp4_automation/

Ah, I misunderstood how transcoding uses the CPU and some further testing showed that this box can at least handle streaming 1080p to two devices on my local network without any issues.

That should be enough to get me through the next few years, and when I have requirements beyond that (4K video maybe?) I'll probably be able to just pick up another $200-300 box to replace this one.

I already use nzbToMedia and I know that has some post-download transcoding options that I've never investigated. I'll have to do some more research into containers and how to avoid needing to transcode in the first place. Thanks for the heads up!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, as stated, a quad-core Xeon would be at the same usage when transcoding a stream. My dedicated Plex server is a repurposed workstation PC that I've had for about 3-4 years that has been running Plex for almost 2 years straight now. I leave it on 24/7. It's powered by a quad core Phenom that pushes 3-4 transcoded streams at any given time, both local streams and remote, and CPU usage fluctuates from like 5 to 100 constantly during a scenario like that. Like, for example, right now my Plex server is being accessed by my brother's Roku 3 (about 30 miles away). Here's a quick sample of my server CPU usage while he's streaming a 1080p x264 MKV file:

Jumps from around 5-8% and hits up to 80-90% for extended periods. The TS140 is way more efficient than my old workstation, so I wouldn't be too worried about any long-term situation :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 26, 2014

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

rock2much posted:

Is one better than the other? I was hoping to download files to a directory or 3 so they can seed, have one of these tools copy to my NAS and then rename it. The important part is not to mess up the original file name while it's in the original location so I can keep my ratio in check.

I have only used the renamer. It has worked great for me. But I am going to try the other one.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'll just be blunt and lead off with the fact that yes, I'm using Plex for camera phone porn. So I'm trying to figure out just how private I can keep everything. I run the Plex server on my laptop, and usually view content on an Apple TV (using the "Trailers" hack on a non-jailbroken unit).

I also have a Roku, and tried out the Plex app one day, and was surprised that it could discover and access my Plex library immediately. My library is also popping up on the PS3's Plex client, although I can't seem to actually view content on that.

So is there any option in the Plex server to grant access only to specific devices? I really only want it to show up on that one Apple TV. I've looked through the settings and can't find any options for this.

Another question I probably should have researched before I set all this up - are thumbnails and such being indexed online if I haven't connected my home server?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Minidust posted:

I'll just be blunt and lead off with the fact that yes, I'm using Plex for camera phone porn. So I'm trying to figure out just how private I can keep everything. I run the Plex server on my laptop, and usually view content on an Apple TV (using the "Trailers" hack on a non-jailbroken unit).

I also have a Roku, and tried out the Plex app one day, and was surprised that it could discover and access my Plex library immediately. My library is also popping up on the PS3's Plex client, although I can't seem to actually view content on that.

So is there any option in the Plex server to grant access only to specific devices? I really only want it to show up on that one Apple TV. I've looked through the settings and can't find any options for this.

Another question I probably should have researched before I set all this up - are thumbnails and such being indexed online if I haven't connected my home server?

I keep separate three separate TV libraries indexing three separate folders so I can keep what I share with kids family-friendly, and so I don't have to browse through the dumb shows I host for my mom.

Plex has glitched on more than one occasion and shows have appeared in the wrong library, despite being in entirely different folders on the server. The consequences for me where simply Justified showing up in the kids view, or having to skip over The Mentalist in my own browsing.

Good luck!

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Minidust posted:

All these devices are on the same wifi network. By default plex gives all clients that are on the same wifi network full access to everything. There is a way to disable this and require every device to use the plex login for access.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I misunderstood and thought you were using the same server to host "safe" and "unsafe" content. I don't know why Plex messes that up, but it does.

Advanced settings under "connect." "Require authentication on local networks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

eddiewalker posted:

I misunderstood and thought you were using the same server to host "safe" and "unsafe" content. I don't know why Plex messes that up, but it does.

Advanced settings under "connect." "Require authentication on local networks."

Thats it. Sorry I didn't provide it in my post. I am not at home right now to look up the settings.