Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

oblomov posted:

Yeah, Dead or Alive ending was something else... Good tip on Branded to Kill. Will see if I can find it.
If you find it too impenetrable, Suzuki's Tokyo Drifter (1966) is somewhat more accessible. It's more of a `straight' yakuza film coloured (often literally) by Suzuki's lack of concern for conventional storytelling mechanics. And, since we're sorta playing connect-the-dots between various yakuza films, characters in Fukasaku's also comparatively straightforward yakuza film Blackmail is My Business (1968) whistle the theme to Tokyo Drifter (the protagonist in Tokyo Drifter does as well, as a stylistic conceit).

Suzuki actually directed a bunch of yakuza films that follow the subject matter more or less closely---he worked for Nikkatsu, one of the grand old film production houses of Japan that had, by the '60s, been reduced to cranking out low budget exploitation fare. They really just wanted run-of-the-mill noir and yak films, but Suzuki keep giving them these psychedelic arthouse things. Finally they just fired his rear end (after Branded to Kill) and locked away his films, until there were lawsuits, public demonstrations, student activism, and a whole media circus leading to the films finally being made available again in 1971.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SubG posted:

The Battles Without Honor and Humanity films are awesome, but they don't have a lot in common, in terms of their approach to yakuza culture, with the Yakuza games. The games, and particularly guys like Kiryu and the `period' games, are lifted straight out of the mainstream genre of Japanese yakuza films (called ninkyo eiga or chivalry films). The Fukasaku yakuza films (the Battles Without Honor and Humanity films he cranked out between 1973 and 1975, as well as films like Graveyard of Honor (1975), Yakuza Graveyard (1976)) defined a new, revisionist take on these films. Instead of the stern, serene, honour-above-all yakuza that characterised ninkyo eiga and Yakuza games, Fukasaku's yakuza were calculating, self-serving, greedy, and so on, and no effort made to sugar-coat their problems.

poo poo like what people were just talking about in Saejima in Yakuza 4 are exactly the kind of thing Fukasaku's films were a reaction against. There's no moment of sudden redemption, no deep and abiding code of honor that ennobles the thugs and assassins, no adorable orphans being rescued and their innocence perpetually preserved. The recurring image in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity is the bombed-out ruins of Hiroshima, and that's the approach Fukasaku's yakuza films take to their subject matter---they're part (in Fukasaku's vision) of the bullshit idealism and institutional lies that defined pre-war Japan, which lead to and were destroyed by the war.

This is why I said that, while I love the games, I would also love to see one done that is more like said movies. :) I wasn't trying to say they're similar because they're not, at all beyond the most basic things that are in every crime flick out there. There is a lot of base presentation things in 2 and 3 that I feel was inspired by the series in particular though. I do wish the films were more available, it sucks that the first one is so expensive on DVD here by itself while Japan has had a blu-ray box set pretty much forever. I'm never getting rid of my Yakuza Papers DVD set.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 25, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
There's a loving phone sex minigame in Yakuza 0.

I'm guessing "terakura" is like Japanese shorthand for tele-conference or something. 80s Kiryu answers the gently caress out of that phone.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yakuza 5 GOTY 2015 and Yakuza 0 GOTY 2018.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Static Rook posted:

I'm guessing "terakura" is like Japanese shorthand for tele-conference or something. 80s Kiryu answers the gently caress out of that phone.
"telephone club", I suspect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Static Rook posted:

Housh posted:

Yakuza 5 GOTY 2015 and Yakuza 0 GOTY 2018.

Samurai Sanders posted:

"telephone club", I suspect.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Phonesex!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
This thread cursed me! :ssj: Alright, no it didn't, but it felt like it.

All that talk about broken PS2s a few pages made me double-check my PS2 and continue Yakuza 2.

Well, this happened:

Okay, maybe it was just the game..

That was suppose to be the system menu.
:stare::sigh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You guys are probably too young to remember, but phone sex lines like that existed in the US in the 80s, too. They were called Party Lines and we're literally the equivalent of wandering into an IRC chat room and asking "a/s/l?"

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Fuzz posted:

You guys are probably too young to remember, but phone sex lines like that existed in the US in the 80s, too. They were called Party Lines and we're literally the equivalent of wandering into an IRC chat room and asking "a/s/l?"

We know. That's why it's awesome.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't want to peer to hard into this thread because of spoilers but I just finished up Yakuza 4 and it was just incredible. I loved all the characters almost equally (Tanimura was pretty terrible at first).

But man the plot description for 5 sounds incredible.
Heart skipped when I saw Haruka becoming a pop idol, is this atleast fun to play or done cool? I googled image search some pictures and it makes it out like a very detailed simulator like talk shows and hand shaking.
Also having problems ranking the games from best. Feel like I enjoyed all of them equally, maybe 2 more equally.

Sorry if this post is terrible I'm very new years partied out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The stage gameplay looks pretty much like a Miku game so Im pretty drat psyched

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't want to peer to hard into this thread because of spoilers but I just finished up Yakuza 4 and it was just incredible. I loved all the characters almost equally (Tanimura was pretty terrible at first).

But man the plot description for 5 sounds incredible.
Heart skipped when I saw Haruka becoming a pop idol, is this atleast fun to play or done cool? I googled image search some pictures and it makes it out like a very detailed simulator like talk shows and hand shaking.
Also having problems ranking the games from best. Feel like I enjoyed all of them equally, maybe 2 more equally.

Sorry if this post is terrible I'm very new years partied out.

The Haruka game is kind weird because you have the fan minigames and you have rhythm games, but you only really have two songs

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

The Haruka game is kind weird because you have the fan minigames and you have rhythm games, but you only really have two songs
The fact that you're practicing the two songs you will actually perform totally put my brain into actual music practice mode, which I hadn't experienced since I was a student musician years ago.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

precision posted:

Outrage, Beyond Outrage (both on Netflix) and Sonatine (unfortunately not on Netflix anymore) are great.

I didn't care for Sonatine much, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I'll give it another look I guess.

I have to use this $5 off Play-Asia coupon. Wondering if I should just preorder 0. Other option is waiting for someone to beat it then sell it to Book-Off.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Funkysauce posted:

I didn't care for Sonatine much, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I'll give it another look I guess.

Takeshi Kitano movies aren't for everyone, they're slow and deliberate and the narrative is often much less important than the imagery. Plus they all end with him shooting himself in the head.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Funkysauce posted:

I have to use this $5 off Play-Asia coupon. Wondering if I should just preorder 0. Other option is waiting for someone to beat it then sell it to Book-Off.

You know you want to preorder!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Takeshi Kitano movies aren't for everyone, they're slow and deliberate and the narrative is often much less important than the imagery. Plus they all end with him shooting himself in the head.

He honestly should trademark that.

I agree with your take on the movies, like I said it just may have been that I was not fully invested in it.

oblomov posted:

You know you want to preorder!

Yeah... I think I'm going to do that right now. Preordered! Can't wait!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 6, 2015

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Also even with that big twist, logically it shouldnt actually change how Saejima feels. He did after all walk into the joint with guns and, in his mind, shoots them all to death. Just because the nuke I set to blow up New York had a faulty detonator doesnt suddenly put my conscience in the clear.

Its just so stupid on all levels

Its a problem with the RGG series. They always do a half hearted felony and having to pay it in full. Kurohyou's plot involving Tatsuya's being responsible for putting someone in a coma and his two year stint in Juvie was because his schoolmate wants the smug satisfaction of crippling the son of the dojo owner who had him thrown out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6Q-GPBS-c

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Also even with that big twist, logically it shouldnt actually change how Saejima feels. He did after all walk into the joint with guns and, in his mind, shoots them all to death. Just because the nuke I set to blow up New York had a faulty detonator doesnt suddenly put my conscience in the clear.

Its just so stupid on all levels

I don't know, I think that if you had been haunted for years by your killing a bunch of dudes that probably learning none of them actually died would probably make you feel better. I mean we see that he is presumably no longer capable of cold-blooded murder or whatever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So I'm playing Yakuza 2 for the first time. Then I reached the part where Sengoku kidnaps Haruka, and you go to get her, and he lives in a giant gold pagoda inside another giant pagoda (????) and you fight samurai and ninja and fire a gatling gun and avoid spear traps and then battle two giant tigers.

Is that a reference to something? Not that I'm not on board, it just came entirely out of nowhere and makes no sense in contrast to the rest of the game.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Hakkesshu posted:

So I'm playing Yakuza 2 for the first time. Then I reached the part where Sengoku kidnaps Haruka, and you go to get her, and he lives in a giant gold pagoda inside another giant pagoda (????) and you fight samurai and ninja and fire a gatling gun and avoid spear traps and then battle two giant tigers.

Is that a reference to something? Not that I'm not on board, it just came entirely out of nowhere and makes no sense in contrast to the rest of the game.

No. It's just means that Sengoku is batfuck insane. Welcome to Yakuza - I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I guess his name is Sengoku, so that kind of explains it...

I gotta say though that pagoda configuration is architecturally shaky!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Captain Walker posted:

I remember you and Jamesman both had one, James was playing blind again and I think his PS2 bit the dust

My PS2 is fine. I hit a wall with how to present all the content in the game. At the same time, my PC was starting to crap out.

I bought a new PC and new recording software and hardware, with the intentions of putting some really great videos out. That was 3 years ago already, and I still haven't made anything, because I'm not confident I can make those "really great" videos I want to make.

So I'm all ready to go, just as soon as I believe I have something worth doing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You could just pick up and play like you did with the first game, I found your baffled reactions to all the crazy poo poo that happened really funny. Or pick up a co-commentator who knows a little more about the game. I've never played 2 but I did watch the summary video in 3 so I'm a little spoiled.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really enjoyed your Yakuza 1 LP for what it's worth, and after doing pretty much every single quest outside of Shogi/Mahjong in 2 myself, I'd say that the vast majority of that content is preeeetty much worthless. I get the completionist mentality, believe you me, but in this case it's not worth it if it means losing out on the main story.

I probably wouldn't have played it myself if you had finished your LP of 2, but it also took me literal years to force myself to just loving play it with a FAQ because it's way too loving obtuse at times.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Customized PS4s were not enough:
Special Edition Yakuza Zero Vita and PSTV will also come out.

On top of that, the "Vita version" of the game is a companion app, probably similar to the Vita app for Ishin, and it will come out February 26.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
If I were ever going to buy a custom console it would by the Ryu ga Gotoku Zero one. But I already have a PS4 and a PSV so I guess I will not.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

If I were ever going to buy a custom console it would by the Ryu ga Gotoku Zero one. But I already have a PS4 and a PSV so I guess I will not.

Same. I would buy the poo poo out of a Yakuza Vita. But I already like the Vita I've got.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Does Yakuza have Pork Buns? This is important.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Same. I would buy the poo poo out of a Yakuza Vita. But I already like the Vita I've got.

I bought my wife a Vita for Christmas, now there's no longer an excuse for me to not own one. Totally picking one of these up.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
That Vita looks quite awesome and I did want a 2nd Vita for Japanese PSN, that Ishin Vita app, etc... man and that new 3DS just have to be coming out now. I think Zero wins out here!

Edit: Crap, Sony store only, that rules it out :(.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 15, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

The thing they didn't mention in Sleeping Dogs is that taking your shirt off to reveal your giant tattoo before an epic fight to defend the honor of your family is the only other acceptable way to be a real man.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That's because cops have no honor.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Hakkesshu posted:

Well I guess his name is Sengoku, so that kind of explains it...

I gotta say though that pagoda configuration is architecturally shaky!

Yes, the archetectural building integrity is what's weird about Yakuza 2!

Got to say that I started playing 5 and 2 is still my favorite game precisely because of the crazy poo poo that's going on.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Crappy Jack posted:

The thing they didn't mention in Sleeping Dogs is that taking your shirt off to reveal your giant tattoo before an epic fight to defend the honor of your family is the only other acceptable way to be a real man.

I'm pretty sure Poppo has pork buns to use as healing items during said fight. Though no real man would use weapons or items in a Yakuza final boss battle (Tanimura doesn't count because his guy cheated)

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Yes. And you can take it to go.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Customized PS4s were not enough:
Special Edition Yakuza Zero Vita and PSTV will also come out.

On top of that, the "Vita version" of the game is a companion app, probably similar to the Vita app for Ishin, and it will come out February 26.

How can I, a lowly gaijin, obtain these items?

Edit: And where is the PS4? I see no PS4. :(

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Captain Walker posted:

I'm pretty sure Poppo has pork buns to use as healing items during said fight. Though no real man would use weapons or items in a Yakuza final boss battle (Tanimura doesn't count because his guy cheated)

I used my pile of mystic katanas and guns against Mine because he was an idiot chump I didn't care about.

• Locked thread