Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

You have to let HD gently caress Aerie
So I'm still right :smugmrgw:

I don't think they ever boink. It's a big deal for Aerie, and she realizes when things start to get serious that HD likes seeing her get angry and evil as she starts a downward spiral. Entropy in all things is to be cherished and fostered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

netcat posted:

You're supposed to find proof that Sarevok is a fucker and also some kind of papers that allows you entrance into the palace.

Yeah I have his journal and the pass into the palace. I think I probably should have tried to talk to the people near the gate but I was too busy trying not to murder any more guards. Is there no way to get the guard on my side by showing them Sarevok's journal?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I can't remember if the holy avenger is in IWD 1 or 2, I also can't find a conclusive answer.

It's in both. Pale Justice in IWD1 and Cera Sumat in IWD2. Both are longswords.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Gooch181 posted:

Yeah I have his journal and the pass into the palace. I think I probably should have tried to talk to the people near the gate but I was too busy trying not to murder any more guards. Is there no way to get the guard on my side by showing them Sarevok's journal?

There's supposed to be a guard outside the palace who will open the gate when presented with the papers, I don't think he can go hostile

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

netcat posted:

There's supposed to be a guard outside the palace who will open the gate when presented with the papers, I don't think he can go hostile

Yeah that was it. I'm in!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Have anyone ever done a wildmage run of only casting Reckless Dweomer? It sounds like a hysterical opportunity.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Currently level 7 and thinking maybe it is time to go to Neshkal Mines.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Nashkel! :)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whatever I'm gonna murder those fools. Human Berseker that I will dual to mage in BG2 btw.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
level 7 should be enough to beat the poo poo outta mulahey yeah. use one of those flaming potions against the kobold commandos & just kill the skeletons. you shouldn't even have to use any cheesy tactics at that level.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I think after the mines I am going to pickup a some kind of party just to have some kind of healing and trap detection at the least. The traps in the mines aren't that bad and I can just berserk/potion through them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Bodied Sarevok :toot: time for bg2.

stats at the end

took all the potions.

Ironling, purist, conan the bhaalspawn, iron party, honorable trader, battlemaster, roleplayer, a god among men

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Darn it all to heck. I am going to buy Baldur's Gate 2 on iPad as my Christmas present fun for myself. Really hoping this game doesn't need a huge patch soon that proves incompatible with existing saves. But then,i do want the game patched because screw all those bugs.

No one knows when the ios patch is coming huh?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Holy poo poo I've tried every proposed solution to getting Icewind Dale II to work and it just closes itself after I double click it. I'm installing the first game to get my fix now.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So GOG's release is not working for you? Thought it just operated fine right out of the box.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

crime fighting hog posted:

Holy poo poo I've tried every proposed solution to getting Icewind Dale II to work and it just closes itself after I double click it. I'm installing the first game to get my fix now.

I heard that the game had some resolution issues, but I'm really sorry to hear that. Try checking the forums, or trying another PC if you have one? That's really unfortunate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Are you using windows 8? I'm pretty sure it just flat out doesn't work on 8. I could never get it to, then it worked right away when I tried it on a machine running 7 it ran straight away.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Are you using windows 8? I'm pretty sure it just flat out doesn't work on 8. I could never get it to, then it worked right away when I tried it on a machine running 7 it ran straight away.

I got it to work on win 8, but I can't remember how.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

netcat posted:

I got it to work on win 8, but I can't remember how.

The GOG version is install-and-go on Win 8.1 for me. It takes a few seconds longer than normal to launch the game, but other than that no problems.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Playing kensai that I'm going to dual to mage at level 9. Is there any reason not to go sorcerer/Dragon disciple? There must be an item... Human influence amulet..? that can get my character to very high charisma early on? Or is there another character I can pick up early for good shop prices and conversation options, as my CHARNAME is rocking 6 CHA.

Any other kensai dual class suggestions are welcome. I've never played a kensai and I've only ever had a mage as my main in BG1. I'll be playing all the way through to the end of throne of bhaal, which I've never played before.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The only reason to take a sorcerer is so you have a dedicated spell nuker because BG2 doesent provide one. Ring of human influence that you get from the circus tent makes makes charisma mostly pointless.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Well, you can't dual class with Sorceror so your only real option there is Wizard. You could do any fighter dual class with kensai, but Wizard is the usual because the Kensai's unarmored bonuses line up nicely with the wizard's inability to wear armor. Use your spells to drop area disables and buff yourself, then wade into melee and poo poo damage all over everyone with the crazy kensai melee combat bonuses. Later on and in Throne of Bhaal when you start picking up wizard wearable armor all over the place this starts to become less of an advantage, especially as the kensai's melee abilities start to become less awesome in comparison to full progression or multiclass fighters with fighter HLAs (a kensai/mage dual can't pick fighter HLAs, only level 10 spells).

As a side note, sorcerors in BG/BGII/IWD don't really use any stats for their abilities. A sorceror with 12 (or whatever the class minimum req is) cha will be just as good as one with 18+. For shops ring of human influence is the way to go in BGII, for BG maybe pick up Ajantis early on? He's on the map directly above the lonely arm inn, right on the road close to where you enter the map. Run up there and tell him how awesome and good you are and he'll come along. Just don't stick around on that map if you're still low level, it's full of Ankhegs which will kill you in short order if you're not ready for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BadAstronaut posted:

Playing kensai that I'm going to dual to mage at level 9. Is there any reason not to go sorcerer/Dragon disciple? There must be an item... Human influence amulet..? that can get my character to very high charisma early on? Or is there another character I can pick up early for good shop prices and conversation options, as my CHARNAME is rocking 6 CHA.

Any other kensai dual class suggestions are welcome. I've never played a kensai and I've only ever had a mage as my main in BG1. I'll be playing all the way through to the end of throne of bhaal, which I've never played before.

Kensai/Thief can get insane backstabs, and when you hit epic thief levels Use Any Item will let you wear any armor you want.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Have you tried toggling 'run as administrator' in its properties?

e: Or display scaling on high DPI.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 25, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Running around BG2 solo as a fighter/mage/thief with xp uncapped and triple class HLA tables is pretty fun. Fill every second level spell slot with invis and go to town. Once you get the staff of the magi things get really crazy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How does the import process work from BGEE to BG2EE? Same way than the normal games, i.e. you redo your specialization, proficiencies and whatnot?

Playing on the iPad, if it makes a difference.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I've read a lot of info that insinuates that having evil party members is a bad thing in Icewind Dale. Where is this mentality coming from?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Smol posted:

How does the import process work from BGEE to BG2EE? Same way than the normal games, i.e. you redo your specialization, proficiencies and whatnot?

Playing on the iPad, if it makes a difference.

I don't think you get to redo anything, since both EE versions have the same options.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
You only get to change cosmetics when you import a character. It's the same within the games as it is across them. Name, voice, appearance only.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Should have mentioned I started my kensai in BG2, so no BG content applies. Still in the opening stages of the game and can dual to whatever I want. Other option is to just not dual. How's the kensai as a frontliner at high levels? He's got proficiency slots in longsword and flails and two weapon style.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you get to redo anything, since both EE versions have the same options.

Ah okay. Guess I gotta choose the right proficiencies from the beginning then, because I probably won't find a Shadowkeeper for the iPad. :v:

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Should have mentioned I started my kensai in BG2, so no BG content applies. Still in the opening stages of the game and can dual to whatever I want. Other option is to just not dual. How's the kensai as a frontliner at high levels? He's got proficiency slots in longsword and flails and two weapon style.

Single-class high level Kensai hit like trains but can't take it. Until you get some Hardiness HLAs you'll have to micro hard to prevent a Kensai from taking frequent dirt-naps. Much of the point of dual class Kensai is to cover or eliminate the problem of no-armor.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

At what level can a mage cast spirit armour or whatever it's called? Is it not better to be mage first, get there then dual into kensai?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

At what level can a mage cast spirit armour or whatever it's called? Is it not better to be mage first, get there then dual into kensai?

You can't dual into a kit, and mages get ever increasingly awesome spells, whereas fighters and their kits mostly stagnate in the teens until they get HLAs. Although there might be more personal buffs for priests, I kinda wonder how a kensai/cleric would play, you'd have to design it around blunt weapons, but (at least in BG2) there's no shortage of really excellent ones.

Speaking of EE, I've started playing it for the first time on my android tablet, and was wondering if you can just drop custom sounds or portraits into the appropriate folder for use like you could on the pc?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

You want to get the kensai levels first, because the whole point of fighter/mage is to be able to cast high level (6-9) wizard spells while being on the front lines. Takes far too long to regain the wizard abilities back if you do it the other way around, even though the fighter HLAs are generally much better.

Anyhow, if you want to do a fighter/mage, just do a multiclass one. There's less tedium involved and you get to pick fighter HLAs as well.

Smol fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 26, 2014

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Mages get that at 3rd level, so it's possible to dual very early. Level 5 gives you third level magic as I recall. That said, beyond armor there are several higher level wizard spells worth consideration. Stone Skin makes you outright immune to basic attacks, Tensers Transformation turns you into a juggernaut of destruction and Time Stop is a plain and simple "I Win" button.

:Edit: I forgot you can't dual into a Kensei as it's a kit, so kind of a moot point. Still, I stand by those spell recommendations and I also recalled improved invisibility and improved haste though you can have a wizard cast those onto others.

Metal Meltdown fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 26, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Smol posted:

You want to get the kensai levels first, because the whole point of fighter/mage is to be able to cast high level (6-9) wizard spells while being on the front lines. Takes far too long to regain the wizard abilities back if you do it the other way around, even though the fighter HLAs are generally much better.
Fighter HLAs are good, but Wizards have Time Stop, which is amazing both for melee fighters and ranged spellcasters

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Fighter HLAs are good, but Wizards have Time Stop, which is amazing both for melee fighters and ranged spellcasters

Time Stop is a normal level 9 spell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Smol posted:

Time Stop is a normal level 9 spell.

Oh yeah, still better than any of the fighter HLAs, and something you won't get if you dual from mage to fighter (unless you wait an ungodly amount of time to dual, then wait another ungodly amount of time to get your spells back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Corvinus posted:

Single-class high level Kensai hit like trains but can't take it. Until you get some Hardiness HLAs you'll have to micro hard to prevent a Kensai from taking frequent dirt-naps. Much of the point of dual class Kensai is to cover or eliminate the problem of no-armor.

A single-class Kensai can use use (and master) throwing weapons, so playing them as a very hard hitting ranged unit is a thing you can do. You can grab a returning throwing axe +2 very early on in the game (the adventurer party in the sewers), though I think you have to side with Bodhi if you want the +3 one. If you're a dwarf, you can also use the Dwarven Thrower (+3 throwing hammer) you can buy after solving the djinni problem in Trademeet.

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, still better than any of the fighter HLAs, and something you won't get if you dual from mage to fighter (unless you wait an ungodly amount of time to dual, then wait another ungodly amount of time to get your spells back.

It's a level 9 spell, not a HLA, ie. there are scrolls for it. Sure, they're expensive and rare, but still (though if you want to be a bit cheesy, you can just duplicate yourself with Vhailor's helm & have the clone use the scroll...).

verybad fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 26, 2014