Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's still bizarre to me that before WCW brought him back onboard, it seems that Hogan really was interested in leaving wrestling behind to become a bigger star in other media. And then he was "Hollywood Hogan" after a proven record of being box office poison.

Was this before or after Suburban Commando? Because I'll have you know that Suburban Commando is... kinda lovely but I like it a lot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

Was this before or after Suburban Commando? Because I'll have you know that Suburban Commando is... kinda lovely but I like it a lot.

Hogan was still in WWF when they shot Suburban Commando.

Hollywood Hogan was fine because they ran it as an excuse to take Hogan off TV and be a heel. He was still shooting movies, just what would amount to a WWE Films release today.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I love that Santa with Muscles played an important role in making Bash at the Beach 96 so impactful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why did WWE films partner with another company to release Oculus? I'm pretty sure it's the best movie they've been involved in (and there are no wrestlers in it, just an in-joke about Triple H).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

Why did WWE films partner with another company to release Oculus? I'm pretty sure it's the best movie they've been involved in (and there are no wrestlers in it, just an in-joke about Triple H).

At this point, they just buy the distribution rights for independently-made films.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

They don't really take the lead role at all. I think there's been like 2 movies where they were the only production company.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked that joke because it implies that HHH jobbed to a ghost.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching old Raws, Nitros and PPVs in the 90s is really funny if you pay attention to all the movies and TV shows Hogan mentions he's going to be in that either never materialized or failed spectacularly.

The thing that never stopped amusing me throughout those Nitro episodes on the network was Hogan's assertion that he was raking in bank at the box office. More than once he says that Spielberg called him up to congratulate him. They were planning on Santa With Muscles being huge and it was a dismal failure.

Funnily enough, Giant probably had a more successful movie career than Hogan did. At least he got to act with Arnie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well, even Dean Ambrose admits he would job to a ghost.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

He basically did at Survivor Series.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

No, he jobbed to a big piece of glass. Like Goldberg.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Wrestlemania XX

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thing is, you could still gimmick something like the Lethal Lottery and still end up with all that crazy poo poo. At least so you can make sure they can all work together or at least plan something out ahead of time. I honestly think the Lethal Lottery was a brilliant idea that really could work with some tweaking. Two guys feuding that are paired together and it leads to them losing. Or that they find some mutual respect for one another and become an antagonistic tag team. It could also be used as a way to start the split of a long-running tag team by having them on opposing teams. Etc, etc

Yeah, but randomness (or, I guess, an admirable attempt at faking it) means that you can't just rely on the same cliches over and over again. The second one definitely felt a lot more predictable than the first one, iirc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's not like you can pin a ghost.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's not like you can pin a ghost.

Plus, they've already been buried.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Just want to say as of like 3 years ago he still has it. He did a 450 leg drop and had a dance off with PSP favorite Isys Ephx. I believe the show was on a saturday so I'm not sure if he took any kids to school that night.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It's a very special anniversary today!

"In something the company and industry should have learned from about setting up stunts that mean nothing without careful planning, Bill Goldberg's career was threatened and Bret Hart's life was put in jeopardy in a stunt on a Thunder taping in Salisbury, MD. The close of the show was for Goldberg to chase Hart out of the building. Hart was to jump in a car and speed off, however, the parking lot was covered in ice, and Hart, suffering from the effects of a concussion, unbeknownst to himself at the time, lost control of the car and nearly crashed into a production truck before luckily gaining control. Goldberg wasn't nearly as lucky, as in the heat of battle, he decided to punch through a non-gimmicked limousine window that supposedly contained Vince Russo. When the first few blows didn't break the window (he was supposed to use a small hammer to break the window but didn't) his elbow did, resulting in a career threatening injury that kept him out of action for several months."

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Retro Observer! From October 27th 1997:

quote:

World Championship Wrestling once again broke its all-time gate record this past week. But the amazing thing is, it's a show that is more than one month away.

WCW puts tickets on sale for its 11/23 World War III at the Palace in Auburn Hills, MI, announcing nothing locally except a 60-man three-ring Battle Royal and that WCW, the NWO, "exciting cruiserweights" and "high flying Mexicans" would appear, sending Larry Zbyszko and Bobby Heenan to do local promo work. By the end of the first day of ticket sales on 10/17, they had already sold 7,268 tickets for $247,671. The company all-time record house was set for the 6/9 Nitro in Boston which was $243,946. As of the end of business on 10/20, the Detroit totals were 9,153 tickets sold for $306,971, making it the first show in WCW history ever to break the $300,000 mark. In the 80s, Jim Crockett Promotions, which was the predecessor to today's WCW, did break the $300,000 mark on a few major occasions such as Starrcades in Greensboro and Atlanta. WCW will actually break the $300,000 barrier for the first time at the Halloween Havoc PPV on 10/26 in Las Vegas, as they are expecting a gate in the $315,000 to $325,000 range with 2,200 tickets still left unsold as of press time. One of the reasons these gate records are falling is because the ticket prices for WCW have been raised considerably as the live events, and in particular the Nitros and PPV dates, have become so much more of an in-demand ticket. It's become a really weird psychology when it comes to wrestling fans, in that there is a huge demand for high-price tickets in particularly the major markets, but lower priced tickets are difficult to sell, and the frequent Monday sellouts have been done simply by raising ticket prices across the board. On the surface, it makes no sense, but it again proves that pro wrestling tickets are an impulse rather than a rational buy, and thus normal economic factors in regard to pricing don't apply.

quote:

With the Monday Night ratings war still being the hot topic of discussion and comparisons within the industry, at least in the United States, a secondary set of question which hasn't been answered has come up. Who draws what ratings and why?

Wrestlers have tried to talk about who individually draws what to prove who is over, and who isn't, bookers have done the same, and management theoretically pores over the quarter-hours trying to figure out what lesson exactly the viewing patterns of the public is telling them about which individual wrestlers.

Like most of pro wrestling, lots of talk. Lots of figures quoted without understanding. Almost no research.

With the start of the fall season at the beginning of September, we've been compiling all the quarter hours and who was in them in a key position. There are many ways you can do ratings for individuals, but the decision was made that the best is to judge based on how the ratings went up or down as compared with the previous quarter. Obviously if there is a huge audience watching, getting a big rating for a quarter is easier than if you start out. The quarter hour differences, pluses and minuses, tell if more people were tuning on then tuning out when this personality, and this is a personality driven business, was the key part of the show.

With any system, there are flaws. The two key ones right now are the 9 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. quarter hour on Nitro. With the start of the NFL and the start of Raw, you are almost guaranteed to drop at least a few rating points. The other key position is on Raw, during that unpredictable period somewhere between 10 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. when Nitro finally goes off the air. In theory, Raw should pick up viewers during that quarter, although as we've discussed, the reality is that isn't always the case, but in theory that should be a good period for Raw. Aside from that, this system is pretty well fair and fool-proof. Wrestlers in the first quarter hour, since the show is just starting and there is no plus or minus to figure from, aren't figured into the equation, although the pattern right now for both shows has been to start the show with interviews with the biggest stars.

[...]

THE BIG WINNERS

Disco Inferno +16

Roddy Piper +14

Chris Jericho +12

Steve Austin +9

Alex Wright +9

Syxx +8

Hugh Morrus +7

Mortis +7

Ric Flair +6

Bill Goldberg +6

Brian Pillman +6

Vader +6

Rey Misterio Jr. +5

Legion of Doom +5

Steve Regal +5

Max Mini +5

THE BIG LOSERS

Scott Hall -25

Head Bangers -18

Jeff Jarrett -12

Steiners -12

Steve McMichael -12

Curt Hennig -9

Konnan -9

Ultimo Dragon -9

Godwinns -8

Hector Garza -7

Lex Luger -6

Scott Norton -6

Los Boricuas -6

Raven -6

Stevie Richards -5

Randy Savage -5

Bret Hart -5

Ahmed Johnson -5

quote:

Nitro on 10/20 from Biloxi, MS drew 5,950 paying $123,075. Lanny Poffo was involved in a dark match although we don't know his opponent or the result.

Ric Flair was in Biloxi but for some reason wasn't booked to appear on the show.

Bischoff had a meeting with all the wrestlers before the 10/13 Nitro in Tampa. He talked about attending Brian Pillman's funeral and then said that he wasn't naive enough to think that there's no drug problem in WCW but that he hasn't personally seen any examples of major abuse. He asked any wrestler that if they have a problem to go to him and the company would take care of the wrestler and treat the problem like it was an injury and brought up that wrestlers that have been hurt on the job have been paid while injured. Actually there is a historical problem some had with that statement remembering both Steve Austin and Ricky Steamboat, particularly in the case of Steamboat, who may have been the most unselfish worker in the company's history, who were both fired by the company after suffering injuries. He said that on the 10/6 Raw that they used the word "rear end" 17 times (on 10/20 it seemed like they used the word 117 times) and said that WCW is going in the opposite direction of WWF. He said that Syxx could no longer do the bronco ride spot and that the NWO guys would no longer point to their crotch because he wanted a clear differential between the two products. His explanation was that there are very few national advertisers that touch pro wrestling to begin with and he was afraid the more lewd harder edge direction of the WWF would erode the advertising base for both companies. He claimed that some of the advertisers are already on the verge of pulling out of WWF and that the direction WWF was going was going to hurt the entire business. He claimed WWF would be out of business within six months, actually I believe he used the word that he guaranteed, which I guess was his way of trying to scare people from jumping. (Don't hold your breath waiting for that one) He said he was tired of all the whining among the wrestlers saying that they'll look back at this period in the future as one of the greatest periods in their careers. He brought up that the schedule would be increasing next year. He also said something to the effect that there are only three wrestlers in the room that have ever put asses in the seats and said they were Hogan, Piper and Savage and said he was willing to debate anyone if they disagreed with that assessment. The description is that there was steam coming out of Ric Flair's ears and several others were fuming on the inside as well. The belief is he dissed Flair since the two are in a major contract negotiation period and he was trying to sent the hint to Flair that the company doesn't need him. As far as Flair's future is concerned, there is no question he is considering a WWF jump, but to call it a sure thing at this point is way premature. No doubt Flair knows how the game is played and he'll get word out to get the best offer. Bischoff's deal with Jeff Jarrett was his own way to try and avert the leverage of negotiating publicly with both sides since Jarrett was far more expendable to make an example out of than Flair.

With Nash not being around, the Hall/Nash contingent's power has been dropping like the 1929 stock market.

Expect Disco Inferno to use the stone cold stunner, with another name, perhaps the chart buster, as his new finishing hold, which would be retaliation for the belief that WWF had Marc Mero use the diamond cutter (as the TKO) as his new finisher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight: UNCENSORED 98!!!!!!!! I have a lot of love for this pay per view.

Main Event: AGE IN A CAGE II
MACHO MAN VS HULK HOGAN!

World Title Match
Scott Hall vs Sting

US Title Match (still my favorite 3 way of all time)
Raven vs Benoit vs DDP

Cruiserweight Title Match
Dean Malenko vs Chris Jericho

TV Title Match
Eddy Guerrero vs Booker T

THE GIANT VS KEVIN NASH

AND SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!!

Plus tune in at 7:30 PM for NECW featuring a show long GIANT PHARAOH MATCH! Then at 8 PM it is UNCENSORED!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

quote:

He said he was tired of all the whining among the wrestlers saying that they'll look back at this period in the future as one of the greatest periods in their careers.

Well that was certainly true

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

drat I guess the jacknife powerbomb is STILL illegal

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gotta give him credit, dude lives his gimmick -- getting drunk and constantly trying to fight dudes much younger than himself.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is the least accessible article I've ever read on any topic. I don't know who any of these people are, what anything means or is related to, or even what the article is about. I now know less about hockey and journalism than i did previously

yeah, its written in blog longform which is a horrific format.

TL;DR: Mark Madden yells at some woman for having the audacity to be a reporter or some poo poo. Then a bunch of people give him poo poo for doing that and he does the poor suffering me act.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Gotta give him credit, dude lives his gimmick -- getting drunk and constantly trying to fight dudes much younger than himself.

Well you have to admit, this is an extremely punchable face.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Say Nothing posted:

If your dad names you Tristen then he had a beating coming. #FreeTristen

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Grendels Dad posted:

Mr. Nanny is tripe but I still watch it with glee.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

The most punchable face. Maybe this is slow burn for an nWo/Wyatt Family thing.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What a prick. Does he not realize how many people significantly more talented his dad had to bury and how many injuries he faked to send him to private school. I bet Big Kev even gave him Rey Mysterios' mask after he triumphed over him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The American Dream posted:

What a prick. Does he not realize how many people significantly more talented his dad had to bury and how many injuries he faked to send him to private school. I bet Big Kev even gave him Rey Mysterios' mask after he triumphed over him.

It probably fit perfectly

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am embarrassed to post this not because I was a big enough Sting fan when I was 14 that I made this for an art class but because it is really bad and I got so much better later on and took AP art classes. Unfortunately I never painted Sting in oils or even acrylic.

It is my Christmas present to all of you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I am embarrassed to post this not because I was a big enough Sting fan when I was 14 that I made this for an art class but because it is really bad and I got so much better later on and took AP art classes. Unfortunately I never painted Sting in oils or even acrylic.

It is my Christmas present to all of you.
all four of these would make amazing avatars

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Dude, that rules. Better than most of us could do.

You should make a new one this year, with Joker Sting. :D

Also, love the inclusion of the "When a man's heart..." monologue.

Looking forward to the inevitable post-Mania Sting BR set, featuring the glossing over of post-WCW up to his appearance this year. "Then, the Man Called Sting went into exile..."

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lol

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Dario the Wop posted:

"Then, the VIGILANTE Sting went into exile..."

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The bottom photo might be a few frames off from the actual reference image.
I believe the eye of the scorpion guided MRT's hand for the center drawing.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
My Christmas just got so much better. Thank you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
My previous post should be read with constant chuckling and laughter. Didn't make that clear. I suck at posting (why I don't often).

Also, yes, he is THE VIGILANTE Sting. My mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
SPRING BREAKOUT! Tonight at 8 PM it's the 1998 Spring Break Out Nitro featuring one of the coolest moments in WCW history! On top of that we've got:

Juvi vs Jericho for the cruiserweight title!
Reese vs DDP for the US title!
Chavo vs Booker T for the TV title!

GOLDBERG VS LODI

and so much more!

All of the fallout from Uncensored 98 will be on your PSP-TV screen tonight! NECW at 7:30 PM, Nitro at 8!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling