Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Booyaka is the only proper choice here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jumping on the Booyaka bandwagon myself...if only because it sounds hilarious.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Weavered posted:

I vote for the higher level Booyaka, Booyakaga

Nothing but this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Weavered posted:

I feel I have no choice but to agree with this vote.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One thing that really bugged me about this game is that 95% of the character development for anyone who isn't Squall or the female lead is totally and completely optional. One the one hand, it makes sense because most of the cast is mercenaries and revealing personal stuff isn't exactly professional, but it does make it harder to relate to them. And the same goes for major plot points. If you go through the game and talk only to required NPC's and don't examine every console or info dump you find, you leave the game not knowing what the hell happened.

Well, to a greater extent than you do if you DO do that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think we should call Diablos Robin in honor of the recently departed lamp-dweller we all knew and loved. And the library girl can be called Williams.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Weavered posted:

Agreeing with this, with the hope of naming some other GFs: Randaga (the highest tier of random) and Cheeseaga (Ahhh, the power of Cheese)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Weavered posted:

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Schwartzcough posted:

I think we should call Diablos Robin in honor of the recently departed lamp-dweller we all knew and loved.

This. Also, library girl should be named Steve.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Booyakaga for the GF, and Booyaka for the library girl :colbert:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Headmaster Cid looks like Robin Williams

I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to mention that.

Schwartzcough posted:

I think we should call Diablos Robin in honor of the recently departed lamp-dweller we all knew and loved. And the library girl can be called Williams.

Voting for this.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Ditto on calling Diablos Robin.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ArchWizard posted:

Since we found him in a lamp, we should call him Jeannie.

This.

Also the Library Girl is Booyaka

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Also voting for Jeannie.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Is Selphie a fan of Oldschool Jungle music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL2Bgj-za5k

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Booyakaga for the new summon.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

anilEhilated posted:

In the spirit of that, I propose we name our grimdark buddy Dwayne.

Seconded! :cool:

Everybody Else posted:

Booyaka!

:saddowns:

Cool LP, Cool Ghost. Thought I knew a fair bit about this game (and, yes, I was one of the guys who got the strategy guide and thus found the game pretty hard in parts, heh) but just about every update has included something new, like losing the entire rank for showing off the gunblade and the trick with the Elnoyle cards and such. You're striking a really good balance between being funny and informative, too.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

One thing that really bugged me about this game is that 95% of the character development for anyone who isn't Squall or the female lead is totally and completely optional.

Or nonexistent. Quistis was my favorite after the machine gun scene, and if she ever comes up in the story again (except for near the end of disc 1, I remember that) it'd be a surprise to me.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Schwartzcough posted:

This.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schwartzcough posted:

Doesn't hurt that Cid looks like the recently deceased.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Alright, it's noon on Wednesday, so voting is closed. Diablos will be named Booyakaga and the Library Girl with a Pigtail is now to be called Booyaka.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
Dang, missed the vote, but happily the winning choices were the votes I was going to cast. Awesome.

Some time ago I mentioned doing a bad-manners run and being rude to Selphie, and that I'd post the different dialogue when you meet up with her again in the SeeD exam. Well it turns out... there is no different dialogue. She just skips over the line thanking Squall for helping her earlier. Everything else remains the same. I was hoping she'd be irate with me for being rude to her before, but no such luck.

I also lost a lot of points on my SeeD exam for talking to Zell in a couple places and because the giant robot caught me twice and I had to run away from it. Zell's lines aren't anything special, but I did record the conversations. Since these weren't in the SeeD exam outtakes, figured I would share them.

Cool Ghost posted:

If you choose to talk to anyone here, you get points off.

So obviously I decided to talk to Zell here; here's how it goes.

Zell: Hah!? You talkin' to me!?

Seifer: Heh heh...

Zell: ... Bastard.

Quistis: Okay, enough talk.

After this she picks up with the "We'll be landing pretty soon. Get ready." line and everything proceeds as usual.

Cool Ghost posted:

If you choose to disobey Seifer here, you get points off.

When you choose to disobey Seifer, Squall says "......No." He doesn't bother even looking up.

Seifer's response is "This is an order from your captain, Squall. Now go outside."

To which Squall says "......Ok." and then things proceed as in the LP. It's the most useless little dialogue branch and I kind of love it for how apathetic Squall is both in refusal and acquiescence.

Cool Ghost posted:

I could talk to Zell, but I actually remembered to wait this time.

Zell's line:

Zell: Man... Now this is what I call boring.
Zell: This ain't right, man!

I think it sucks that you get penalized for talking to Zell here, because you really have to wait a while so what else are you gonna do but talk to your teammates? And also Seifer's following dialogue reference's Zell's complaining about how bored he is. It's also neat since Zell is clearly very frustrated with their inactivity, but unlike Seifer, he's very unwilling to act on it, basically until Seifer and Squall force his hand.

As a result of all this (and also apparently bungling the timing on Ifrit, could have sworn I had about 3 seconds left on the clock when I beat him but it would seem not) my score was awful and my SeeD rank, so low.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Is that the PC/Steam version? The font looks weird.

I wonder if the Judgment calculation might work differently there. I know some things regarding enemy and GF levels are different. And the experience calculation can underflow (think that's the term? - gets so big it wraps around to being a negative number, though at least the game politely applies a minimum of 1 there so you don't lose experience) if you fight a high level high experience enemy at very low levels yourself, while the original PS1 version handles the calculation correctly.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Vil posted:

Is that the PC/Steam version? The font looks weird.

Yeah, I'm playing on the PC/Steam version. The font is definitely different from Cool Ghost's screencaps. I think it's less jagged--maybe less pixely? But I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

inverts posted:

Yeah, I'm playing on the PC/Steam version. The font is definitely different from Cool Ghost's screencaps. I think it's less jagged--maybe less pixely? But I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Yeah, it's a smoother font, but some of the letters look unusual and - as you can see in your last screenshot - it fucks with vertical alignment for anything where they apparently used spaces instead of tab stops (or whatever) for lists.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Fourteen: Takin' the Train

So, we have a mission, and it is to look at the girl on the right's striped shirt. I like the shirt.

Nah, I'm just jokin'. Our mission is to go to Timber and help a resistance group. But to do that, we have to go through Balamb Town.

This guy is talking to Zell, not Squall. Balamb is where Zell grew up/lives, and it's a very Zell-centric location.

Since this is our first time really checking out Balamb Town, let's check out its music:

New Assistant: I've heard a lot of stuff about you!
: Huh? What stuff!?

Zell is something of a public figure in Balamb.

New Assistant: Hardly. You're like a legend here.
: No way! What'd he do?

Selphie just met Zell yesterday, and she's already going to get the embarrassing dirt on him.

New Assistant: Well, I guess he's most known for doing the most grueling pull-ups.

drat, Zell does pull-ups. Boy is his face red now.

That's a fuckin' lot of pull-ups. drat.

: Yeah, what do you guys think about that, huh?
: ......

I like Selphie's animation here. She bends over like she's tired.

: Umm... I think you need some help.

I don't think the party is impressed by Zell's pull-up skills.

Zell is very taken aback at this. He expected Squall to respect his lats.

The mechanic and his assistant like Zell and think it's cool to do 100 pull-ups, at least.

Oh, here's a picture of me hangin' out and gettin' paid. :10bux:

(I got paid, like, 4 times while I was getting screens for this section. I was starting to think it was an emulation glitch that I was getting paid so often.)

Paid just in time to go to the store.

At this point, I upgrade Squall and Zell's weapons. On the left are the materials needed to upgrade, and each upgrade takes a bit of gil as well. Items are the hard part. As you can see at the bottom, new weapons just add to a character's Strength and Hit, rather than using secondary stats or anything. More expensive weapons add more stats than cheaper ones. It's not a very deep system.

And then, I came back after doing some card modding. Punishment is Squall's second-best weapon. See, weapons aren't gated behind anything, so if you get the items for an upgrade together, you can do it any time. If you know what you're doing, you can use this fact to get ultimate weapons very early; Selphie and Quistis could already have their ultimate weapons if I got the cards together.

I'm not doing that, though, because I want to show off the content of weapons for some reason, so I'll only upgrade to something after I see it in Weapons Monthly.

: Hey...! How's it goin'!? You know me, I'm always good.
Old Man: Good. Make sure you stop by and say 'hi' to your mom.

I feel like this old man has probably known Zell since Zell was very young.

Now, let's follow his advice and go visit Zell's mother.

We do this by just sort of crowding her into the tiny kitchen.

: This is my house. But don't make yourselves too comfortable!

Ma Dincht is just worried about her boy.

In the living room, we can find this...joke. Remember, this game was released in 1999, and jokes were only invented in '98, so they weren't entirely sure how to use them.

: That's my room up there! It's sacred! So just keep out!

We can't go into Zell's room. We're not that kind of friends yet.

We can talk to his mother, though, for some important Final Fantasy VIII lore.

: Nah, outdoor class.

Important Final Fantasy VIII lore: Zell's mother does not know he's a SeeD.

Sure, will do.

If you leave Zell's house and come back (search me as to why you have to do this), you can play cards against his mother. She always asks this, even if you've never played against her before.

You can win Zell's card off of her. It refines into 3 Hyper Wrists, which teach a GF Str+60%, the biggest Strength-boosting ability.

Since we've visited Zell's mum, let's visit his neighbours.

Looks like it's story time in the Zell'sneigbours household.

Grandpa: The god was very, very strong, but after fighting a lot of monsters, he became very tired.

I like how this game overlaps text boxes - here, the kid talks at the same time as the old guy, and we saw a similar thing with Squall and Quistis earlier.

I don't really know how to transcribe this and keep the impression, so I'm just leaving it as a screenshot.

Something like this would probably be annoying if you used voice acting (since it's generally annoying to hear one person talk over another like the kid is doing), but it works and conveys the tone well in text.

Grandpa: Uh huh. Scary, isn't it? ...Of course, everyone was scared then, too.

Hyne sounds like kind of a dick.

He must've kept the bottom half, then.

Grandpa: Well, he was a god. Anyway, it turns out Hyne tricked the people.

Man, that is just like Hyne.

Grandpa: The half that Hyne ran away with was the half that had the stronger magic.
Girl: Wow... So we still can't find the other half that ran away???
Grandpa: Hmm... It might be close by, actually. It might even be watching you.

Squall is the other half of Hyne.

You might remember Hyne's name from the data archive relating to sorceresses, where it alluded to this myth and suggested that sorceresses were the half of Hyne he left to people.

There's nothing else to hear at the Zell'sneighbours' place, so let's continue with the tour.

Hotel Owner: How's that for a catch line...? Not in a million years would you be able to come up with something better.
: Pu-lease! Blow it out your rear!

I somehow got it in my head that this line had Zell saying "blow me" to the owner, which I'm sure you'll agree is much ruder.

Hotel Owner: ...Blow... ...That's it! Blow!

The Hotel Owner finally remembers the title of that movie about the cocaine guy.

Hotel Owner: Where the sea breeze will 'blow' you away...

Adding the quotes makes it sound skeevy, dude.

So, here's the Balamb Hotel.

We will not be staying, but we will be stealing the towels.

In the hotel, we can find an actual old issue of Timber Maniacs. Timber Maniacs is different from other magazines in that you can't actually read the magazine from the menu; instead, it unlocks something else. We'll see that later.

If you were wondering, yes, you can actually stay at the hotel.

I wonder what a gil is worth. When I see item prices, I sometimes consider it to be like a yen, but that would make this hotel cost something like a buck a night. Seems low.

Another stop on the Balamb Grand Tour: the pier.

Gossip #1: Mrs. Dincht's son passed the SeeD exam.
Gossip #2: Really? I wonder how in the world that rowdy boy passed.

Unlike the mechanic and his assistant, these two don't seem to think much of Zell.

Gossip #2: Does Mrs. Dincht know?
Gossip #1: Since Zell passed, the chances my son will pass is probably near 100%.

Hey, don't poo poo-talk Zell, especially when he's right there.

Gossip #2: The exam didn't just test physical abilities, right?

I remember once, in high school, some friends of mine were poo poo-talking some other kid, who came up to me after class and told me to at least talk about him "behind his back" (he pointed when he said that).

Gossip #1: Right. My son told me Zell had good students on his team... Oh well...

I'd been sleeping in class and didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Gossip #1: I wonder how long he'll last. After all, SeeDs are expected to have composure and focus and make proper decisions.

She might be a poo poo-talker, but she has a point. Zell's biggest weakness is his emotionality - Seifer played him like a fiddle, and it would be dangerous if something like that happened during a mission.

Gossip #2: Oh my... I doubt he can handle it.

Note: we can get right up in this conversation, and they'll still talk about Zell like he's not there.

Gossip #1: I guess all we can do is wish him luck.

This guy is a pro slacker.

And this draw point is mostly useless.

Now, let's head to the train station, where some lady tries to hit on Squall.

Why do you need a spotlight tech?

Uh, Some Famous Photographer's Name as a Joke: I wanna take a lot of nice pictures and sell them and make big money. We'll split everything 70/30. Actually, how about 80/20? Y'know what, forget about it. Ok, thanks anyway.

Yeah, no problem. Take care of yourself.

We can also hassle some guy who probably just wants to take a nap.

Businessman: It's gonna last for a while. I'm sick of traveling. Timber has this huge TV in the middle of the city. I think business is better there than it is here. The air over there is terrible, though. It makes me sick.

Over here is the "queen of cards". She's basically here to give a tutorial on the card game's regional rules and rule spreading, and to start a sidequest. I will not be starting that quest today.

Let's ask her about rules.

There are eight rules that the card game can have. Open is fairly innocuous; it just lets you see your opponent's hand, so it's useful if you're grinding cards. Some of the rules are real annoying bullshit, though, and they make playing cards in regions other than Balamb a hassle.

You can also do this. Same makes it so that if your card is touching two cards, and the ranks that are touching are the same, the other cards are flipped.

I am not paying 30,000 gil to poo poo up Balamb's card rules.

Queen: Currently, the trading rule is based on Balamb's rule. There is some trading taking place. Currently, everybody in the world is avoiding risky card trades. For the most part, the level of activity has been moderate. The trend is heading toward trading rule 'One'.

There are four trading rules in the game, with One being the most basic: you win a game, you take one of the opponent's cards. The others are: Diff, where you take however many cards you beat the opponent by (so, if you win 6-4, you take 2 cards) and which can be seen in my game against Cid last update, since I did stuff out of order and rearranged screens; All, where if you win, you just take all of the opponent's cards; and Direct, where cards are traded based on what colour they are at the end of the game. Direct is not as good as the others.

Next, let's ask her how to spread rules.

Queen: Basically, each region has its own rules. The rules you're carrying are passed on as you travel to various regions. As for the trading rules, they gradually spread out from a region where the card game is most popular. Of course, this region can change constantly depending on your course and actions. Also, my presence in a region can change its trading rules at times.

There you go.

You can, of course, play cards with the Queen.

Let's go over the basics of cards, since I haven't done yet. To start, you choose a hand. For me, this is generally whatever five cards are last on the list. They're my highest-level cards, and they're usually good enough to win.

Here, I went first. I put Seifer in the top-left so that the Queen at least can't flip it.

She puts Grendel in the top-middle. This isn't a great play on her part.

It lets me play my Zell card, and, since Zell's 6 on the left is higher than Grendel's 4 on the right, Grendel is flipped and now I control that space. This takes the score from 5-5 to 6-4 in my favour. That's the basic mechanic; touch two values and the lower-valued card is flipped over. Your points are how many cards are your colour, and you win by having more points.

She flips it back, but Quistis is good for this.

This was an easy game.

That's the train we're looking for.

Garden, being full of money-grubbers, didn't give us a slush fund for this kind of thing, so if you spend all your gil on dumb bullshit, you have to run around until you get another cheque.

I did not spend all my gil on dumb bullshit, so it's not a problem.

Cool train.

Well, nowhere else to go.

Might as well.

As soon as you board the train, it pulls out of the station. No going back now.

Then it takes a tunnel into the ocean. I guess this makes sense, being that Balamb is on a tiny island.

Character note: Selphie likes trains.

: A transcontinental railroad, baby! It even runs through an underwater tunnel to get to Timber. Pretty cool, huh?

I think it's pretty cool.

: Sure is...

Squall is less impressed.

: Guess you're not interested.

Oh, so there's another part of the train? Where one could, for example, sit down?

I guess we didn't pay 3,000 gil for nothing.

Have fun.

: Let's go check it out, Squall.

poo poo, might as well.

Enjoy this pic of Squall's rear end.

Zell, this is a hallway.

Some people make fun of Zell here, but I'd imagine that the cabin is much more exciting than the hallway.

: OHHH YEAHHH! AWESOME!

Let's leave Zell to his business and talk to Selphie.

I believe it was established in an earlier caption, yes.

Selphie's train song would go on to be a multi-platinum record in Galbadia, and Selphie would retire rich and famous.

Selphie we're underwater do not open the window.

: Oh... I'll meet you inside. I'm gonna hang out here for a bit.

Let's check out the "awesome" cabin, I guess.

There are only two beds. Where's Zell supposed to sleep?

You can't see it, but Zell is bouncing up and down like an excited child.

Squall's just gettin' paid.

You might notice that my rank has gone back down to 9 here. That's because I spent a lot of time running around and playing cards &c. instead of fighting monsters. Being paid deducts "SeeD EXP" from your total, and fighting monsters adds it, so if you keep getting paid without fighting monsters, you eventually get paid less.

Wonderful. Do they have any Occult Fans?

This isn't Occult Fan, Zell. :mad:

Yes, Zell. You might even say I just got paid to be a member of SeeD one minute ago.

So, if you're wondering about Timber, here's a chance for some lore.

I love lore.

: Thought so. Well, let me fill you in. Timber used to be a country surrounded by deep forests. But 18 years ago, Galbadia invaded.

Galbadia!

: Timber fell quite easily to Galbadia. So now Timber is under Galbadian occupation.

18 years is a long time to be occupied.

: It's said there's a whole bunch of resistance factions, big and small.
: ...And?
: Nope, that's it.
: ......... ...Thank you, Mr. Know-It-All-Zell.

Wow, Squall, what a sick burn. :geno:

: Hey, no prob!

You can also get an abridged version of Zell's lecture in the menu's information section. This section has some pretty good lore that you might miss if you never check it.

For example, you can learn about the world's shaky information infrastructure.

Or you can learn that monsters live on the moon. Handy.

But let's get back to the plot:

At this point, Selphie comes in.

Squall stands up. I'm sure this is significant.

: I'm really sleepy...

Yeah, well, you're bottom bunk.

Squall, she just said she's not okay.

Selphie passes out on the couch, and it looks like Zell's not doing much better.

Hmm.

Well, this seems bad.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 31, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what magazine is that in Zell's room? And more importantly, why is it disguised as Timber Maniacs?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God I love Triple Triad. Kind of a shame they never tried to make a paper version of the game. Squeenix and whoever was pumping out the cards would have made bank, bank and more loving bank off it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Even Selphie figured out laying on the couch before passing out; way to just faceplant, Squall. -1 SeeD rank.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kemix posted:

God I love Triple Triad. Kind of a shame they never tried to make a paper version of the game. Squeenix and whoever was pumping out the cards would have made bank, bank and more loving bank off it.
They did, though.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Triple_Triad#Physical_Triple_Triad

Only released in Japan, of course,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'll admit, I was expecting you to lose Minimog to the Card Queen to kick off her quest.

And what isn't conveyed in the screenshots is that there is a large keening noise in the background right before Squall starts to feel sleepy as well.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Cool Ghost posted:

This guy is a pro slacker.

If you ever want to gently caress with card rules, this guy will be one of your very best friends. Playing a game of cards with him will, unannounced, remove every single rule from the Balamb region. Between that and the Queen of Cards, you can set up rule manipulation scenarios (for other regions) really easily, and then conveniently clean up Balamb when you're done.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Triple Triad is supposed to be making an appearance in the Manderville Golden Saucer in FFXIV, isn't it?

Nobody will ever progress in the game again.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Every time I see a triple triad screenshot, the musical theme will play in my head.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cool Ghost posted:

At this point, I upgrade Squall and Zell's weapons. On the left are the materials needed to upgrade, and each upgrade takes a bit of gil as well. Items are the hard part. As you can see at the bottom, new weapons just add to a character's Strength and Hit, rather than using secondary stats or anything. More expensive weapons add more stats than cheaper ones. It's not a very deep system.

And then, I came back after doing some card modding. Punishment is Squall's second-best weapon. See, weapons aren't gated behind anything, so if you get the items for an upgrade together, you can do it any time. If you know what you're doing, you can use this fact to get ultimate weapons very early; Selphie and Quistis could already have their ultimate weapons if I got the cards together.

Seriously? I played through this game twice, and I was 100% sure you had to actually read the relevant Weapons Monthly before you could upgrade a weapon. You just blew my mind.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mikl posted:

Seriously? I played through this game twice, and I was 100% sure you had to actually read the relevant Weapons Monthly before you could upgrade a weapon. You just blew my mind.

Yes, you can absolutely skip the magazines. The upgrade shop logic goes like this:

1. Have everything needed to do the upgrade? (All the item types, respectively enough of each item type, and enough gil.)
- Yes: Display the upgrade, in white, and let the player choose it if they like.
- No: Go to 2.

2. Have read the magazine that shows off the upgrade?
- Yes: Display the upgrade, grayed out, so the player can conveniently see what they still need.
- No: Do not display the upgrade at all.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cool Ghost posted:

Squall is the other half of Hyne.

I'm gonna need some clarification on this. I have never heard that anywhere. Granted, you could also be kidding around.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"Zell is actually the reincarnation of the water God Nahtaivel. This theory is supported by his love of hot dogs (which are boiled in water) and that a summon in the game has the water God's name written backwards as default name."

I love how this game is so often so dumb and vague that you might just believe him :allears:. Or you're really dense I dunno

EDIT: Squall is Hyne's armpit is now my canon explanation for his personality.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Simply Simon posted:

"Zell is actually the reincarnation of the water God Nahtaivel. This theory is supported by his love of hot dogs (which are boiled in water) and that a summon in the game has the water God's name written backwards as default name."

I love how this game is so often so dumb and vague that you might just believe him :allears:. Or you're really dense I dunno

EDIT: Squall is Hyne's armpit is now my canon explanation for his personality.

You know how in Grandia 2 there were a bunch of people who were the ______ of Valmar? I'm guessing it's like that.

Squall is the Spleen of Hyne.
Quistis is the Pelvis of Hyne.
Zell is the Little Toe of Hyne.
Selphie is the Retina of Hyne.

etc etc.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Zell hiding his SeeD status from his mom is kind of an interesting character note, and it's a shame that I don't think it comes up again in-game--? I could be wrong, though.

Zell's a good character. Aside from Quistis he's usually the guy used for exposition, and between that and how much people in Balamb seem to think he's a nice guy, it comes across as him being honestly one of the more well-rounded people in the party. Smart enough, kind of a doofus, otherwise pretty normal. 100 pullups is a lot of pullups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Swillkitsch posted:

Zell hiding his SeeD status from his mom is kind of an interesting character note, and it's a shame that I don't think it comes up again in-game--? I could be wrong, though.
FF8 picking up interesting ideas again :laffo:

• Locked thread