Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tried to land a survey plane for an EVA location and lightly bungled it in such a way that the cockpit snapped off before the engines had fully spun down. The pilot was safe, but the intact uncontrollable fuselage nearly sideswiped him before setting off on its own journey of adventure.

Made it over 7 kilometers and hit 68m/s before it crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Durgat posted:

Is there a goon server on the multiplayer mod?

I run one for another gaming community. We're about to upgrade to the new 0.90-compatible version. If it runs well and there's enough interest here, I can spin up a goon instance on my server to :jeb: around with.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Remind me what the mod is that allows you to return to times in the past in order to fly/recover spent stages, or perform "simultaneous" maneuvers?

Edit: found it. Flight Manager for Reusable Stages.

EpicPhoton fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 26, 2014

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Been making space stations and a space shuttle...

And the shuttle even worked to land!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So I'm still stuck on the whole "do science at this spot at 19km" contract stuff. I've been trying to search online for example craft I can test out or samples I can look at, but a lot of the stuff online either (1) isn't for FAR, (2) uses stuff WAY ahead of me in career mode (rapiers, for instance), (3) uses B9 or something that's not 0.90 compatible, etc. Can someone point me in the direction of some good examples? I've tried with all the generic "make sure your CoL is behind your CoM" advice and the other generic stuff, but it'd be really useful to have something to play around with to get an idea of how it works.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spacecraft should work, just need to pass near enough overhead and be quick enough with your instrument/report.

Edit: you should be able to do the crew reports from space. Other instruments might require dipping to 70km or under.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm trying to get to the Mun without maneuver nodes for the first time, I'm trying the "burn as soon as mun crosses the horizon" trick and it's just not working for me. What am I doing wrong?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FlyingCheese posted:

I'm trying to get to the Mun without maneuver nodes for the first time, I'm trying the "burn as soon as mun crosses the horizon" trick and it's just not working for me. What am I doing wrong?

You don't have SOI transition info, either. If you burn towards Mun as it comes over the horizon and get your apoapsis a little bit further than Mun, you'll get there even though the map won't tell you that.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Ah that makes sense, thanks.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I did that and got a trailing pass on the mun, needed a small normal adjustment once I changed SOI and got a periapsis of 7.5km. However it was going to fling Bob off into solar orbit. Good thing I had fuel to spare.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How are you supposed to, uh, put rovers on rockets with stock parts?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Put the rover on top, give it a probe and its own engines to dismount. That, or bring 2 on either side (or a counter weight), and use ejection force and gravity to land it on its wheels.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Can anyone explain how to use dds loader? Do I need to convert my textures to dds and then use the loader? Will it have any effect on a stock game, or is it only for mods?

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Whiirrr posted:

Been making space stations and a space shuttle...

I been doing the same thing!

I launched that station as one big stupid wobbly piece to. Never again. I keep saying that, but I keep doing it. Actually I'm debating launching another one or towing the existing one out to Minmus and the Mun for more science missions.

(Tow truck, Refinery, Tanker, 1200 ton Lander: KSS Minmus)

I keep saying I'm going to start building smaller ships to... ya...

Edit:

mustard_tiger posted:

Can anyone explain how to use dds loader? Do I need to convert my textures to dds and then use the loader? Will it have any effect on a stock game, or is it only for mods?

Yes, and both. Use KSP to DDS texture converter to convert everything, makes backups, works great.

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 26, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there an up to date set of documentation for RoverDude's USI mods? I seem to have what looks like extraplanetary launchpads stuff in there, and a bunch of new mobile base modules, not sure how they work though.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

karl fungus posted:

How are you supposed to, uh, put rovers on rockets with stock parts?

This is how I roll (haven't actually launched it yet, though):

It'll be hard to put this in a stack without Procedural Fairings, but you could probably do it with some tweaks (hint: the 2.5m decouplers are great for hiding crap inside).

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't recall this being in 0.25.

:siren:Multi-Tank Transfer:siren:

Now you can transfer fuel mid-burn without unbalancing your vessel.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The first (and last) time I tried to launch a station into orbit I mounted the docking rings inside-out :negative:

e: the plan was to launch one or two components at a time and assemble it all in-orbit like the ISS. Only managed the first part which was a can for 4 kerbs and a science module.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Incredible.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

with no hyperbole this is the best update ever

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

:eyepop:

That is one of the most beautiful things the devs have done yet!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm following the Scott Manley tutorials since I just got this, and I can't get into orbit. I have built exactly the same rocket and am following it word for word but when I turn, my rocket is super sluggish and then flips over suddenly and starts flying back down toward the ground. What am I doing wrong here?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm following the Scott Manley tutorials since I just got this, and I can't get into orbit. I have built exactly the same rocket and am following it word for word but when I turn, my rocket is super sluggish and then flips over suddenly and starts flying back down toward the ground. What am I doing wrong here?

I know you're saying you're following tutorial steps, but just to eliminate some really basic stuff: you got SAS enabled? Tapping R and T before liftoff should show to icons at the top of your navball light up to indicate you've got those two helping - you will need the appropriate module fitted to get use out of SAS. If you're playing in career mode you might not have it unlocked.
Other than that - throw RCS fuel tanks and RCS thrusters, and maybe some fins (and make sure they're movable fins - some are static and provide no maneuvering assistance).

These two things should help you maintain control of your spaceship at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I had it on. Just managed to get into orbit though I don't know how, I didn't change anything. :toot:

Unfortunately now if I try an EVA my ship shoots my Kerbal out like a cannon and I have to reload. Is there a secret to not being flung spinning away from the ship immediately?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
What prevents Moho from being the best location for a permanent rocket-building base (other than the difficulty of getting anything big there in the first place)? I'm guessing it would have frequent transfer windows, plus a significant Oberth effect.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The only time I've experienced that was when still subjected to atmos. You can be in a decaying orbit (anything below 70km) and potentially have your spaceman blown away. Maybe sure you're high, high high (75-80km maybe). Also, do you know to tap R to enable your jetpack when in space?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

The only time I've experienced that was when still subjected to atmos. You can be in a decaying orbit (anything below 70km) and potentially have your spaceman blown away. Maybe sure you're high, high high (75-80km maybe). Also, do you know to tap R to enable your jetpack when in space?

I'm at about 120 km. I do know about the jetpack but it doesn't help, even if I can stop spinning it doesn't have the thrust to get me back to my ship. Literally the moment I press the EVA my Kerbal is flying out at top speed and spinning in all three axes at once.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is your tin can spaceship rotating when you hop out?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Do you have anything attached to the pod just outside the hatch? It's usually the effect of your kerbal colliding inside something else and the physics engine trying to separate the two colliding objects.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, is there anything crowding around the ladder that the kerbal might be banging into when he spawns in the world?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Do you have anything attached to the pod just outside the hatch? It's usually the effect of your kerbal colliding inside something else and the physics engine trying to separate the two colliding objects.

Aha, I bet that's it. There are a bunch of experiment pods attached all around the capsule and I didn't pay attention to where they were attached, just balance. I can't see the ladder so I bet one's right on top of it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I wanted to make a mostly-reusable spacecraft that could take light, modular payloads out to the Mun and Minmus or heavier payloads to Kerbin orbit, while still having the same flight profile regardless of what the payload was. I tweaked my design for a while, made something I was satisfied with, and didn't realize until it was in orbit that I had made Apollo.

Unfortunately, the first mission didn't...quite go according to plan. After a fairly routine Mun landing/flag planting/etc mission and a couple contracts completed, it was time to head back to Kerbin. Instead of plotting the burn normally like I usually do, I had MechJeb plot and execute a return burn. It got me back into Kerbin - on a course that was going to drop me directly into the atmosphere at 3 km/s. I didn't think that would be a problem, as I haven't gotten around to installing Deadly Reentry on this save yet. Boy was I wrong.

That's me desperately trying to save the ship after multiple quickloads. No matter what I did, I simply could not slow the ship down enough. The stress from sudden deceleration when the parachutes deployed would cause the entire thing to blow the gently caress up. Even cheating in infinite fuel and RCS didn't work; I simply didn't have enough thrust.

It was time...for a :jeb: solution.

Unfortunately, only two of the crew survived, Bill didn't make it. I don't think orbital-velocity skydiving is going to catch on as a sport anytime soon.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 26, 2014

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

What prevents Moho from being the best location for a permanent rocket-building base (other than the difficulty of getting anything big there in the first place)? I'm guessing it would have frequent transfer windows, plus a significant Oberth effect.

It's as hard to get from Moho to anywhere else, as it is to get from anywhere else to Moho. Barring aerobraking, delta-v requirements to get somewhere are the same as to leave it (although you'll some variance in practice due to different transfer windows for arrival and departure).

For a surface rocket-building base, you'd probably just want a place with low gravity, like Gilly, Minmus, Pol, or Bop.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I had it on. Just managed to get into orbit though I don't know how, I didn't change anything. :toot:

Unfortunately now if I try an EVA my ship shoots my Kerbal out like a cannon and I have to reload. Is there a secret to not being flung spinning away from the ship immediately?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v0-90-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v0-1-7-23-Dec-14%29

There's a bug related to EVA which could be causing your problem, EVAEjectionFix.dll fixes it.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Apoffys posted:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v0-90-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v0-1-7-23-Dec-14%29

There's a bug related to EVA which could be causing your problem, EVAEjectionFix.dll fixes it.

Yeah this happened to me earlier when I was climbing back up to pack in 700 science. Frustrating. Thanks for the link.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

eth0.n posted:

It's as hard to get from Moho to anywhere else, as it is to get from anywhere else to Moho. Barring aerobraking, delta-v requirements to get somewhere are the same as to leave it (although you'll some variance in practice due to different transfer windows for arrival and departure).

For a surface rocket-building base, you'd probably just want a place with low gravity, like Gilly, Minmus, Pol, or Bop.

God no, not gilly.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Spookydonut posted:

God no, not gilly.

Eeloo has karborundum and all the usual MKS resources but no karbonite right? So you could use the normal MKS stuff plus karborundum to build sweet fusion ships way out there.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

God no, not gilly.

'Oops, my surface base was slightly unbalanced and tipped over. Oops, it bounced off a rock. Oops, now it's in orbit.'

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

God no, not gilly.

Do you have something against getting to orbit on RCS alone? Or is 8 m/s not :jeb: enough for you? I love Gilly for inclination changes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've just set up my first little RemoteTech satellite network in orbit. It's 4 sats (roughly evenly spaced) each with a 2.5million mi range antenna in a 600,000km equatorial orbit. They also each carry a 50million mile deployable dish, so at the very least they'll give me decent control over contract satellite launches, but they're not intended for long-range use because obvs they're going to get obscured by Kerbin pretty frequently.

For stage two I was thinking of trying to lift a fifth satellite carrying some 90million mi dishes up to an orbit that just runs in smallish circles above the north pole. I'm hoping that although this satellite would never be able to talk to KSC itself, it would always be in range of at least one of the other four, and it'd always have an unobstructed view out to Mun and Minimus.

Is there anything special I need to do to lift a payload up there? I was thinking of just attaining a regular equatorial orbit and then burning normal at my ascending/descending nodes to gradually climb up.