Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think part of the hate for Zell comes from his tribal face tattoo. Face tattoos are still mostly socially unacceptable in the western world (even more so when ff8 was new) and Zell's tat just looks terrible on him anyway. I see his face and just kinda want to punch it, even though I like his character so far. I wonder if he lost a bet about how many pull-ups he could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think part of the hate for Zell comes from his tribal face tattoo. Face tattoos are still mostly socially unacceptable in the western world (even more so when ff8 was new) and Zell's tat just looks terrible on him anyway. I see his face and just kinda want to punch it, even though I like his character so far. I wonder if he lost a bet about how many pull-ups he could do?

Tribal face tattoos can be fine when a person has a reason for having one (like belonging to a tribe that does them!), bit Zell's just seem to be a "I'm a cool teenager" statement, which most people find stupid.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

Zell hiding his SeeD status from his mom is kind of an interesting character note, and it's a shame that I don't think it comes up again in-game--? I could be wrong, though.

I don't think he's hiding it. I think his mom knows:

I get the impression that she knows, and that because he's a merc, and they can lead short lives, she just chooses to try her best not to worry about it, and enjoy what time she may have with her son.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Mums always know. If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Vil posted:

Yes, you can absolutely skip the magazines. The upgrade shop logic goes like this:

1. Have everything needed to do the upgrade? (All the item types, respectively enough of each item type, and enough gil.)
- Yes: Display the upgrade, in white, and let the player choose it if they like.
- No: Go to 2.

2. Have read the magazine that shows off the upgrade?
- Yes: Display the upgrade, grayed out, so the player can conveniently see what they still need.
- No: Do not display the upgrade at all.

So THATs how you get his ultimate weapon on disk 1

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think she can handle it. Moms are tough.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Silegna posted:

I'm gonna need some clarification on this. I have never heard that anywhere. Granted, you could also be kidding around.
The joke is that Squall is watching them, just like the other half of Hyne.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm honestly considering getting the game on steam after reading up to this part of the LP...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kemix posted:

I'm honestly considering getting the game on steam after reading up to this part of the LP...
To quote a catchphrase from another thread: it gets worse.

Up to here, FF8 is really fun and well put-together and you can screw around and get awesome really fast, but I can only reiterate what I said before: Dollet is easily the best part of the game up until very late. But I am quite the naysayer, if you hadn't gathered. I would recommend waiting until the thing they go to Timber for is done and then reconsider if you want to give Square money for a lazy port of a decade-old PC game. Because the Timber mission, imho, loving sucks in quite a few ways.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, FF8 is pretty high on the list of games that just completely fail to live up to their early potential. I'm still kinda tempted to replay it myself, though--there is something good here, even if it's surrounded by a whole lot of not good.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Vil posted:

If you ever want to gently caress with card rules, this guy will be one of your very best friends. Playing a game of cards with him will, unannounced, remove every single rule from the Balamb region. Between that and the Queen of Cards, you can set up rule manipulation scenarios (for other regions) really easily, and then conveniently clean up Balamb when you're done.

I never knew this.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kemix posted:

God I love Triple Triad. Kind of a shame they never tried to make a paper version of the game. Squeenix and whoever was pumping out the cards would have made bank, bank and more loving bank off it.

There used to be an unofficial freeware game that allowed you to play Triple Triad and Tetra Master, including fan-made cards for other FFs and other sources. Last I checked, it was still around, but nobody was playing and it was little more than a chat room.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

curiousCat posted:

I never knew this.

At some point between now and the end of the LP, I'll fork over Vil's Tips And Tricks For Rule Manipulation That Programmers Wish You Never Knew.

You can actually make the whole process very painlessly consistent, compared to annoyingly random or worse, consistently doing something other than what you want it to.

Vil fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

To quote a catchphrase from another thread: it gets worse.

Up to here, FF8 is really fun and well put-together and you can screw around and get awesome really fast, but I can only reiterate what I said before: Dollet is easily the best part of the game up until very late. But I am quite the naysayer, if you hadn't gathered. I would recommend waiting until the thing they go to Timber for is done and then reconsider if you want to give Square money for a lazy port of a decade-old PC game. Because the Timber mission, imho, loving sucks in quite a few ways.

This man is very, very right. Not the next section, but the section after is where the game starts dropping... And keeps dropping for the rest of the game, with an occasional rise that never lasts.
FFVIII is not a good game. Period. If you like the characters and story now, well, that's not gonna last either.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I like Final Fantasy VIII.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, not pointing fingers, I like a lot of games I don't consider good. Just don't want someone buying this on my conscience.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Cool Ghost posted:

I like Final Fantasy VIII.

I love Final Fantasy VIII.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

curiousCat posted:

I love Final Fantasy VIII.

It's a great game to play. Hell, you play games for fun, whether or not the plot is asinine usually isn't a factor. Hell, I love Chrono Cross.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Silegna posted:

Hell, I love Chrono Cross.

I'ma be honest, Chrono Cross was one of my first RPGs. Along side FF9 and Golden Sun. Not counting the Pokemon series. I still like it to this day...but it's definitely not the greatest game ever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like FF8 as well. I do, however, have a hard time defending some of the plot points.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

When is Squeenix going to remake FF 7-10? They've already made multiple remakes for everything up to VI, I think. Like multiple remakes for the same game. I'd be happy with an SNES demake of FFVII.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

If you want to buy FFVIII I'm going to suggest that you bookmark the LP and come back to it afterward. Half the fun is just finding all the random stuff they put in (secret GFs, etc) and the other half is figuring out how to break the game. Also maybe there's an element of watching the plot and boggling at its insanity. But regardless, my point is that all of those will be blunted if you watch Cool Ghost lay out what happens, what there is to find, and how to use it to become laughably overpowered.

And to the above poster, I think 7 was where the production budgets started jumping up, so that's probably the big barrier. It's one thing to make a nicer sprite sheet, another to redo a bunch of detailed 3-D rendering.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

When is Squeenix going to remake FF 7-10? They've already made multiple remakes for everything up to VI, I think. Like multiple remakes for the same game. I'd be happy with an SNES demake of FFVII.

They just did X and X-2 HD ReMixes. They still didn't bother to put a Skip Cutscene option in X.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, not pointing fingers, I like a lot of games I don't consider good. Just don't want someone buying this on my conscience.

But you are. You are kinda being pushy. I mean it is his thread.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 27, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

If you want to buy FFVIII I'm going to suggest that you bookmark the LP and come back to it afterward. Half the fun is just finding all the random stuff they put in (secret GFs, etc) and the other half is figuring out how to break the game.

If anyone does this, I suggest making a habit of checking the draw list of bosses. And if a new target shows up later on (like Elvoret did in the LP), check it too. If there's a GF it'll always be at the bottom of the list, it'll have a(n unfamiliar) name rather than ????, and you can only Stock and not Cast.

There are a good half-dozen GFs or so that you may miss if you don't do this. You do get a second chance at each of those, but only very late in the game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Silegna posted:

It's a great game to play. Hell, you play games for fun, whether or not the plot is asinine usually isn't a factor. Hell, I love Chrono Cross.
Well, that's understandable, because Chrono Cross is a good game.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Not sure on 8 and 9, but Squeenix said they will only remake FF7 if a new Final Fantasy sells more than FF7 did.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I hope that Square Enix never remakes Final Fantasy VII, and instead focusses on making better games in the future.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

I hope that Square Enix never remakes Final Fantasy VII, and instead focusses on making better games in the future.

This. I love FF7, but if I want to play FF7, I can still do so without issues. Spend your effort making some good NEW games! :)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

And to the above poster, I think 7 was where the production budgets started jumping up, so that's probably the big barrier. It's one thing to make a nicer sprite sheet, another to redo a bunch of detailed 3-D rendering.

They've done full (if simple, but still much better than VII's) 3D graphics remakes of some of the earlier games with new translations, fmv and new scores. So I guess they just don't want to kill the sacred cow that made America actually note FF as a thing.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

They've done full (if simple, but still much better than VII's) 3D graphics remakes of some of the earlier games with new translations, fmv and new scores. So I guess they just don't want to kill the sacred cow that made America actually note FF as a thing.

Should've seen the failure that was the anouncement of the PS4 port of the steam version. It was hype and happiness, followed by crushing disappointment.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Remaking Final Fantasy VII would, I believe, absolutely END Square-Enix's future. Years of nostalgia have turned FF7 into the Platonic Ideal of What a Perfect JRPG Should Be, so any remake, no matter how well-done, would not live up to the hype and what little stock there is left in Squeenix (literal and figurative) would go down the drain.

(Ironically, I'd hated FF7 for going 3D when it came out, but looking back on it now, though the pre-rendered cutscenes have not aged well, the I find that in-game 3D graphics have this sort of charm to them that the more recent titles lack.

...and here's the sinking realization that another 10-15 years from now, I'll be looking back at Final Fantasy XIII with a similar fondness. /shudder)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

FF VII was kinda lovely, honestly. Even when it was new and was my first real exposure to the FF series, I only played through the whole game because I had a buddy to mock it with. The kawaii little 3d models would have been great if they weren't mixed with the grainy pre-rendered backgrounds and the more detailed models. The story and game mechanics are just bad, though. Also, Knights of the Round gets pretty old by the third time you cast it when you can't skip summon animations.

Some of the things I've learned about in VIII from this LP I really like. The slightly randomized npcs to chat with, the lore journal/internet, occasional disbursements of cash tied to performance to maybe alleviate the perception of needing to grind for gil, etc. it's a shame the battle system is a clusterfuck. Then again, none of the main FF titles have ever really had mechanically interesting combat, nor any really well designed class/power/skill/job/magic system.

Blitzball 4 lyfe.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you haven't yet, check out Elentor's FFVII LP. Very informative. Pretty much everyone in that thread has learned new things about the game.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Yeah, saying FF VII is lovely is basically saying that you don't remember the game. Saying FF VIII is lovely is basically saying that you've never played Triple Triad.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Yeah, saying FF VII is lovely is basically saying that you don't remember the game. Saying FF VIII is lovely is basically saying that you've never played Triple Triad.
It's OK though, because no one remembers the game. Especially not Square-Enix.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
I liked FFVIII. Even if it started sucking 3/8ths of the way in, the battle system was fun to break. It's sort of like Wild ARMs 4 in the sense that if you ignore the characters and story, you'll be fine.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

curiousCat posted:

I never knew this.

Thread title? Please?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'ma be honest, I don't like FF7. All the fanboys crying out saying it's 'OMG TEH BEST THING EVAR' soured my want to even play it. When I did (bought it on PSN), I couldn't get very far in it before just putting it down. I'm sure it gets better if you actually go THOUGH the game...but that's what pretty much -everyone- and their mothers say about FF13, and that game (and it's sequels) are an absolute travesty. And we have MORE god drat 'Lightning-Sama' coming down the pipe in 2015/2016, all I know is they're gonna announce something involving Lighting next year. And I can only think it's gonna be a horrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I've been playing along with Elentor's playthrough and am at the end of Disc 2 of FFVII and I've had a fantastic time with it. I feel it's held up pretty well, even though I'm playing the much-maligned Steam version I've encountered no issues whatsoever.

The only remake thing I'm salty about at the moment (FF-wise...if it's Square-Enix in general I'm pissed we didn't get Dragon Quest VII 3DS) is that Final Fantasies V (my favorite in the series and one that would look great in a remake) and VI didn't get 3DS remakes the way that III and IV did for the DS. It would've been so much better than the iOS/Android version.

• Locked thread