Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Back in 0.24, I had a problem with one of my early plane designs (which I put together in order to test a solid rocket booster splashed down on Kerbin, without any actual plane-related techs), in that it kept pitching up and flipping over backwards. In a moment of pure :downs:, I decided the obvious solution was to have something pushing the front end of the plane down to counteract whatever force was pushing it up, and the result was this:

In fairness, I was somewhat intoxicated at the time.

This is Kerbal as hell. :jeb: would be proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Are they ever going to make larger gear bays? The small ones look ridiculous on the Mk 3 parts.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Are they ever going to make larger gear bays? The small ones look ridiculous on the Mk 3 parts.

I hope so. It would be nice to have some gears that fit the MK3 parts and larger planes in general. Even having the size and/or length of the landing gears be a tweakable would be nice.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mister Bates posted:

Back in 0.24, I had a problem with one of my early plane designs (which I put together in order to test a solid rocket booster splashed down on Kerbin, without any actual plane-related techs), in that it kept pitching up and flipping over backwards. In a moment of pure :downs:, I decided the obvious solution was to have something pushing the front end of the plane down to counteract whatever force was pushing it up, and the result was this:

In fairness, I was somewhat intoxicated at the time.

This vehicle clearly has the Jeb seal of approval. Look at how thrilled he is to pilot it!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

I'm not sure if it's on CKAN or not, but the Astronomer Pack is pretty much the go-to pretty graphics mod and the one I've always played with. Adds clouds and city lights on Kerbin, dust storms on Duna, etc. Also comes bundled with Distant Object Enhancement; it's kind of cool seeing your space station flying past overhead as you're testing a rover at KSC or whatever.

But doesnt it come bundled with Real Solar System and buggerises with your stock Kerbol system layout. I dont want that.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
(Catching up so a couple of random replies)

Flex O tubes are KAS pipes. Yes you need two of them. Nope they are not docking ports. If you don't like the base modules, that's fine. You should be able to slap one of the flex o tube thingies on that nipple on the ILM, then connect it to another flex o tube (just like a KAS pipe).

Also - for folks who think MKS to RocketParts is too complex... Here's all of MKS manufacturing in a nutshell. Boils down to four harvested resources, a pair of drills, and two sets of converters.

Harvest stuff. Turn these into basic raw materials. Turn these into things. Profit.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

karl fungus posted:

Porkjet is actively working on medium and large landing gear bays.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Maxmaps posted:

Thank god... I'm running out of pilots in my save...

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Maxmaps posted:

Awesome!

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!
Okay, looks like I just had the Kraken strike one of my ships in a game. Not sure what's causing it, but it's rather annoying...any ideas on how to fix it?

Let me get a little bit specific here - I have a ship in a really low orbit of the Mun - we're talking a 9km orbit or so, to deal with some of those above/below visual survey and temperature contracts. When I first got it to the Mun it was fine, saved the game, quit, all fine and dandy. When I loaded it back up today, however, it began doing, well, whatever the hell this is:

That is my ship flopping around like a sausage, with the command pod and the parts attached to it spinning wildly around. Using timewarp doesn't fit it either, it just makes the command pod slingshot away from everything else and spin at some ridiculous speed. What's weird is that when I go to map mode, none of this extra motion seems to register on the orbit - the orbit remains pretty much stable, even though in the flight window the altimeter is steadily climbing up in height. It's like the darn thing is stuck in space and yet flipping out.

So, what should I do to fix it? Delete the persistent.sfs file? Try to manually spot the problem part or parts in the file and edit them to be less wild? Just start a new game and go from there? Any help would be appreciated!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

Porkjet :love:

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Okay, looks like I just had the Kraken strike one of my ships in a game. Not sure what's causing it, but it's rather annoying...any ideas on how to fix it?

Let me get a little bit specific here - I have a ship in a really low orbit of the Mun - we're talking a 9km orbit or so, to deal with some of those above/below visual survey and temperature contracts. When I first got it to the Mun it was fine, saved the game, quit, all fine and dandy. When I loaded it back up today, however, it began doing, well, whatever the hell this is:

That is my ship flopping around like a sausage, with the command pod and the parts attached to it spinning wildly around. Using timewarp doesn't fit it either, it just makes the command pod slingshot away from everything else and spin at some ridiculous speed. What's weird is that when I go to map mode, none of this extra motion seems to register on the orbit - the orbit remains pretty much stable, even though in the flight window the altimeter is steadily climbing up in height. It's like the darn thing is stuck in space and yet flipping out.

So, what should I do to fix it? Delete the persistent.sfs file? Try to manually spot the problem part or parts in the file and edit them to be less wild? Just start a new game and go from there? Any help would be appreciated!

Are you using any mods?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

(Catching up so a couple of random replies)

Flex O tubes are KAS pipes. Yes you need two of them. Nope they are not docking ports. If you don't like the base modules, that's fine. You should be able to slap one of the flex o tube thingies on that nipple on the ILM, then connect it to another flex o tube (just like a KAS pipe).

Also - for folks who think MKS to RocketParts is too complex... Here's all of MKS manufacturing in a nutshell. Boils down to four harvested resources, a pair of drills, and two sets of converters.

Harvest stuff. Turn these into basic raw materials. Turn these into things. Profit.

wait hang on does that mean this chart is outdated? or does it mean i have to use both charts at the same time?

also thanks for the clarification re: the hubnipple and landing leg things; it's such a radically different mod from like Kethane so how things fit together is not terribly clear, especially when all the tutorials say to put one under everything.

while you're here, i played around with karbonite a while back, does the MKS thing not show resources the same way with the bubbles or did i gently caress something up when i used the DDS converter utility? because i'm not seeing any bubbles, just percentages on the popup menu for my satellite probe.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

:jeb:

The_Censorship_Nazi
Jan 1, 2008
Banned in over 52 nations since 1946!

The Green Calx posted:

Are you using any mods?

Yes, quite a few, all through CKAN at present. In fact, on that specific ship I'm using some of the solar panels from Near Future Solar. Let me dig out my full mod list:

-6S Service Compartment Tubes
-Active Texture Management (normal)
-Roverdude's Alcubierre Drive
-Chatterer
-Collision FX
-Community Resource Pack
-Crowd Sourced Science
-DDS Loader
-Navyfish's Docking Port indicator
-Teonlight's Enhanced Navball
-Final Frontier
-Firespitter Core
-In-Flight Waypoints
-Karbonite and Karbonite Plus
-Kerbal Alarm Clock
-Kerbal Attachment System
-Kerbal Engineer Delux
-Infernal Robotics
-MechJeb 2
-Memory Usage
-ModuleRCSFix
-Near Future Construction and Solar
-Procedural Fairings
-RCS Build Aid
-Regolith
-RLA Stockalike
-SCANsat
-Sounding Rockets!
-StageRecovery
-Stock Drag Fix
-Texture Replacer
-Toady's Toolbar (yes, I know - unfortunately, some of my mods require it)
-Trajectories
-TreeLoader
-TweakScale
-All of Roverdude's USI packs

So yeah, there's my setup - I also have some DLL bugfixes installed in there, not through CKAN this time unfortunately.

Interesting thing - when I loaded the craft up, I noticed that Kerbal Engineer wasn't showing up, and I couldn't call it back up either. Not sure why, seeing as since 1.013 or so it's been integrated into all of the command pods and probe cores...maybe a clue?

Edit: just did a little test on another one of the craft in orbit. Something I did has definitely bugged the probe cores - a satellite I focused on had its probe core phase through the rest of the ship and zoom off into space, with the rest zooming off in the opposite direction. Not sure what the hell I did but clearly I did something Bad.

The_Censorship_Nazi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 29, 2014

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Edminster posted:

wait hang on does that mean this chart is outdated? or does it mean i have to use both charts at the same time?

also thanks for the clarification re: the hubnipple and landing leg things; it's such a radically different mod from like Kethane so how things fit together is not terribly clear, especially when all the tutorials say to put one under everything.

while you're here, i played around with karbonite a while back, does the MKS thing not show resources the same way with the bubbles or did i gently caress something up when i used the DDS converter utility? because i'm not seeing any bubbles, just percentages on the popup menu for my satellite probe.

Both - that old one is just TAC-LS. But for folks wanting to use EL to make rocketparts with MKS - use that other one.

And TAC-LS is a closed loop with just a few parts.

Also - no more bubbles with Regolith. The bubbles were more trouble than they were worth. Basically, everything is biome based now with a reasonable range in a given biome (so a biome might have 2.5%- 7.5% Karbonite, or whatever). Find out what biomes have your stuff, land, and profit. Or use SCANSat 9.4 or AtomicFury's patch of the overlay Cyrik made. Both work.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

Both - that old one is just TAC-LS. But for folks wanting to use EL to make rocketparts with MKS - use that other one.

And TAC-LS is a closed loop with just a few parts.

Also - no more bubbles with Regolith. The bubbles were more trouble than they were worth. Basically, everything is biome based now with a reasonable range in a given biome (so a biome might have 2.5%- 7.5% Karbonite, or whatever). Find out what biomes have your stuff, land, and profit. Or use SCANSat 9.4 or AtomicFury's patch of the overlay Cyrik made. Both work.

wait so i need some other mod to make the launchpad and orbital shipyard included actually work too? and since i haven't TAC i can just ignore the chart i was looking at, right? man, with all these weird dependencies and poo poo it's a wonder nobody's made modpacks like Minecraft

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Edminster posted:

wait so i need some other mod to make the launchpad and orbital shipyard included actually work too? and since i haven't TAC i can just ignore the chart i was looking at, right? man, with all these weird dependencies and poo poo it's a wonder nobody's made modpacks like Minecraft

If you don't have TAC-LS, ignore the life support bit (though to be honest, TAC-LS is why most people use MKS).

If you don't have EL then you can either make stuff for funds or look at the pretty bits? Otherwise, they are there for parts and machinery that support the various modules. Plugging in EL support was just a matter of making some pretty models and adding one extra generator at the end.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Hey whoa can we get the craft file for this to have fun with? This looks awesome.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

If you don't have TAC-LS, ignore the life support bit (though to be honest, TAC-LS is why most people use MKS).

If you don't have EL then you can either make stuff for funds or look at the pretty bits? Otherwise, they are there for parts and machinery that support the various modules. Plugging in EL support was just a matter of making some pretty models and adding one extra generator at the end.

yeah i'm using MKS because there is literally no other option for aesthetic base building. For the EL stuff, how much do you reckon I can rip out from it while still being able to use your parts? e: watching a video to understand EL and apparently i need kethane installed to run it as well? i'm bout ready to say gently caress this infinite recursion of mods bullshit; i just want to have green mans do adventures

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kommando posted:

But doesnt it come bundled with Real Solar System and buggerises with your stock Kerbol system layout. I dont want that.

Nope, it keeps the stock system layout, you might be thinking of a different graphics mod. I'm using Astronomer Pack right now and it doesn't change anything except graphics.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Single launch RSS to Mars and back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrjpELy1xzc

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Edminster posted:

yeah i'm using MKS because there is literally no other option for aesthetic base building. For the EL stuff, how much do you reckon I can rip out from it while still being able to use your parts? e: watching a video to understand EL and apparently i need kethane installed to run it as well? i'm bout ready to say gently caress this infinite recursion of mods bullshit; i just want to have green mans do adventures

If you want pretty bases, don't install either. Just go have fun..

If you want to build spaceships, EL has no dependency on Kethane. You just need some way to get ore/rocketparts. The new MKS bits do that, and hide the less aesthetic EL bits. Done.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So how do battery packs work in regards to recharging your transmitter antenna? Do I slap the battery pack on the same part the antenna is on?

edit: If I launch KSP through ckan, will steam count the time played? Or do I need to launch it through steam for that to happen?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

HogX posted:

So how do battery packs work in regards to recharging your transmitter antenna? Do I slap the battery pack on the same part the antenna is on?

edit: If I launch KSP through ckan, will steam count the time played? Or do I need to launch it through steam for that to happen?
As long as the antenna and the battery are attached to the same craft (even if that 'craft' is actually two docked crafts or whatever) the antenna will draw equally from all batteries on the ship.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:stonk:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

If you want pretty bases, don't install either. Just go have fun..

If you want to build spaceships, EL has no dependency on Kethane. You just need some way to get ore/rocketparts. The new MKS bits do that, and hide the less aesthetic EL bits. Done.

so I could just delete the parts folder from EL and everything would run okay as i have MKS? i'm sorry for being an rear end with all these questions, i'm just snippy because this is turning into a 'contains everything you need! (batteries not included, major assembly required, product may not resemble image on box)' situation and you are quite literally the only game in town when it comes to planetary base parts.

Hummer
Sep 30, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Thesoro posted:

As long as the antenna and the battery are attached to the same craft (even if that 'craft' is actually two docked crafts or whatever) the antenna will draw equally from all batteries on the ship.

Batteries just provide an extra lump sum of electricity. You start with a bit on the command modules, the batteries give you an extra pool to draw from. Solar panels (in proper sunlight) and RTGs are the only parts that recharge your electricity. So long as all the parts are attached the craft anywhere they'll work as you want.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone gotten that Astronomer's visual pack working in 0.90? I've tried all sorts of iterations of the steps in the zip file, and while the game LOADS okay, anything with an atmosphere looks... odd:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

There is a zone 100km wide around the equator where nothing is allowed to exist unless it is prepared to survive a deadly rain of spent SRBs.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Oh hey Maxmaps, I don't normally play KSP a ton, but this time around, I played enough of it that my girlfriend got mad at me. So, kudos to everyone for 0.90. :golfclap:

Also, since I'm a huge dingus, this time around I thought I'd write down all the little things that bugged me, and that aren't already well-known issues (e.g. bigger landing gear!). So uh, here goes I guess:

1m/2m circular (mini-)cargo bays
Like 6S Service Compartments (I modded mine to have extra top/bottom attach nodes to match how the stock cargo bays work). These are super-useful for mounting radially-attached parts inline (e.g. the Mystery Goo container).

Put a max range on antennae
Either a hard max (antennae don't work past a certain range) or a soft max (they're just less efficient beyond their max range). This would make the higher-tech antennae more attractive, since they're currently strictly worse than the basic one. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56440

Tiny lights
Some tiny (1-2") lights would be nice, especially for making it easy to determine a craft's orientation when on the dark side of a body. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57778

Tweakable decoupler force
Mainly useful for radial decouplers, which are all too strong for lightweight objects. I've blown up a bunch of ships with the radial decouplers. The only way around this is to abuse part attachment and radially mount one of the tiny stack decouplers. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64711

Better rotation for radially-mounted parts
Especially with the Science Jr., it's a pain to mount it radially attached via its back. It'd be nice if the basic WASDQE rotation would just rotate where its radial attachment point it instead of rotating about the attachment point (meaning if you rotate it 90 degrees, it ends up clipping into the parent part). The 0.90 editor tools can work around this, but it's kind of annoying.

Maintain rotation when time warping
It's way too easy to exploit this to kill rotation on your ship. Bonus points if the higher-level SAS features work during timewarp (this would be really nice for station-keeping). See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67821

Put fuel in stack size adapters
Some adapters have fuel in them, some don't. All of them (except for the really short ones) should have fuel. That would make things more consistent, and make the taller stack size adapters more useful.

Tweakable fuel types
It'd be nice if all the liquid fuel tanks could be tweaked to contain: 1) LF+OX, 2) LF only, or 3) OX only. This would eliminate some duplicate parts (e.g. LF+OX and LF only variants for spaceplanes), and also provide more options for building spaceplanes (even some of the Mk II spaceplane parts don't have an LF-only variant, like the bicoupler). Bonus: it would make it easier to make the NERVA take LF only. (Granted, you can sort of do this now by removing the LF or OX from a LF+OX tank, but then you're really ending up with a half-full tank.) See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104855

Remove things from staging (or add to it!)
Sometimes, you don't want something to be in the staging list, since you only want to do it manually. Other times, you want something that's not staged to go in the staging list (e.g. deploying solar panels on a satellite). It'd be nice to be able to tweak this for each relevant part.

Contract chains
Some contracts tell you to put something somewhere (satellites, stations, planetary bases), but there's not much to do with them afterwards. Maybe add followup contracts to do something with them (do an experiment, add/remove crew members, etc).

Docking alignment indicator on the navball
Just a simple indicator to show whether you're oriented in the right direction for a targeted docking port; then you can just translate once you're aligned to it. See http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54303

Ok now I'm ashamed of myself for writing all that so byeeee

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

The Green Calx posted:

Unfortunately I'm having serious issues with the CoL being too far underneath the CoM which makes the whole thing nose dive on all of my test flights, so I think I'm going to just start over again from scratch. I didn't think about offsetting the tri-coupler into the tank to make it look better, and that's a really good idea so I'll probably try that next time. Just gotta figure out this CoM and CoL issue first... :suicide:

Remember that you can always clip some extra wings into the craft's fuselage to change the COL location and get some extra glide range without compromising aesthetics. :ssh:

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Hey whoa can we get the craft file for this to have fun with? This looks awesome.

Go nuts! It's not done, and until the new gears come out landing is pretty hairy/fragile to land but fully doable. It's decent demo of an STS-clone stack and pretty fun to just tool around in.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I just got this game a couple days ago and today I decided to try my hand at making a pretty standard jet with FAR installed. After feeling like hot poo poo for getting it to a point where I could land it on the KSC grasslands twice in a row, I taxied it over to the space center to get a couple points in science, where it flipped over and exploded because it went over one of the building terraces at 50m/s. A+ game would buy again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a reliable way to hit a target LAN for a contract? Previously it has showed me my target orbit in the map view and I was able to eyeball the necessary maneuvers pretty easily, but on this contract it isn't showing me the target orbit in map view. I was able to get my Ap, Pe, and Inc very close, but my LAN ends up off by about five degrees.

I got that much by getting into an equatorial orbit, then using the current LAN and angle to AN readouts from KER to figure out where to do my inclination change. I have no idea how one might be expected to do this in stock KSP where you have no way of knowing anything about longitude.

edit: Alternatively, how do you move your AN from an orbit that is already inclined?

withak fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 29, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Upon further inspection, the mission was to get the specified orbit around the Mun, not around Kerbin. :sweatdrop:

That explains why the reward was so high.

withak fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 29, 2014

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

alright so i installed the overlay patch thing and every time i go from the space center to something in flight it adds another entry for it in the toolbar. i got five entries in before saying gently caress it and uninstalling. that's on top of the 2-3 second pause whenever i tried changing overlay modes. what a pile of garbage!

i'm curious now, how exactly were the bubbles more trouble than they were worth? because from where i'm sitting they were incredibly elegant, intuitive, and didn't lock up my game and extend my toolbar into infinity.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One thing about contracts that would be super-helpful: some visual aids.

For example: in addition to saying the location, put up an image of the planet. If the contract is at a specific location on the planet or an orbit, a visual on that would be helpful (instead of having to switch back and forth from the tracking station). Also, for parts, not everybody has the part list memorized, so an image of the part being tested would be way helpful. Or a diagram drawn on a napkin, which would be more Kerbal.

As for lights, the Aviation Lights plugin is really boss. Should be in CKAN, too.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Jet Jaguar posted:

As for lights, the Aviation Lights plugin is really boss. Should be in CKAN, too.

Yeah, I looked at that one too, but I like the Surface Mounted Lights add-on because it was simpler; no blinking options or anything like that. The most advanced use case I had was "put white lights on the front of my RCS tug and red on the back so that I know which way is forward":

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Nope, it keeps the stock system layout, you might be thinking of a different graphics mod. I'm using Astronomer Pack right now and it doesn't change anything except graphics.

I'm thinking of KSPRC.

Can I avoid Active Texture Manager by just converting my textures to DDS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Edminster posted:

alright so i installed the overlay patch thing and every time i go from the space center to something in flight it adds another entry for it in the toolbar. i got five entries in before saying gently caress it and uninstalling. that's on top of the 2-3 second pause whenever i tried changing overlay modes. what a pile of garbage!

i'm curious now, how exactly were the bubbles more trouble than they were worth? because from where i'm sitting they were incredibly elegant, intuitive, and didn't lock up my game and extend my toolbar into infinity.

For your earlier bit, MKS *DOES* include all of the bits in the box. It works just fine as it is - and you get to extend it if you want. It used to include TAC and I pulled that. Used to include Karbonite and that dependency got removed. The one thing I would do that I forgot was to put a MM config to hide a couple of the EL-compatible parts, but then that would make people sad who wanted them for aesthetics, hence they got left in (in the same way that a kerbitat is just a pretty lego brick without life support).

If you are using EL, you can delete everything but the survey stakes btw.

Now. It may be more helpful to go post in the overlay thread bit and help them out if you're getting a stock toolbar bug - probably something silly somewhere. And I'm sure the people who worked on that would think you were super awesome for calling their work a pile of garbage. I mean, I get this is the SA forums and such, but you'd be surprised how far a little bit of 'not being a mean jerk' gets you.

For your last question - beach balls sucked. They were the top complaint. They added work for me. They were laggy as hell if there were too many, were planet specific so incompatible with updates, allowed for zero discovery, and confused people who would be all sad because their base could not be built closer than 1km or so to one, and got all complainy not realizing the resources were a gradient.

Regolith changed that dramatically as it's all biome based... so grab a detector and hop around, and you'll get your lay of the land in seconds. I'll also be adding in a mechanism that requires on the ground soil samples for discovery (and would retroactively affect SCANSat, etc.) to give people more reasons to do actual exploration. In that context, the bubble mechanic 100% does not work.

RoverDude fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 29, 2014