Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

PFlats posted:

Basic lacing advice: Bottom third of the skate, as tight as you can manage without being painful, never loosen it. You shouldn't ever have to mess with the bottom 3rd of your skate. Middle third should be a little looser, tight enough to keep everything in place. Top third, again, as tight as you can manage. You want that ankle support.

I never understood how people could skate with the upper boot laced loosely. That's where my skate key got the most work!

Thanks for all the ledty/righty talk, I tried lefty for a minute today and it felt marginally more retarded than right handed. I'll do some non-trivial practice this weekend and see how it goes.

Didn't get anything directly hockey related under the tree, but there was a small box containing a visa gift card and a picture of skates :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Nostratic posted:

I never understood how people could skate with the upper boot laced loosely. That's where my skate key got the most work!

Imagine tying together two overlapping L-shaped objects with a single binding. What would give you the best hold - binding either end, or the middle? If the middle of your skate is laced well, how loose the top three eyelets are won't matter too much. But everyone had personal preferences.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I used to go tight all the way but switched to loose up top because of lace bite.

They both work.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

I have small feet but I don't lace the top eyelet, the next two are laced tight, the rest are loose.

I love Laura stamm's stuff but her idea that boots don't need to be stiff is pretty outdated given that they now come with almost no breakin period required. I was surprised when I reread that recently.

I fear stiff skates, now that my 10 year old Bauer Supremes are as soft as a paper bag. :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Pleads posted:

Easton Mako gloves to replace my aging, ratty, oddly loose Vapours that are like 9 years old with the palms falling apart. These new gloves are tight and comfy but I have to break in some parts of them because they pinch a bit where my pinky/ring finger meet my hand.

Super stoked though, aww yeah.

I read this thread and the FFVII Let's play thread and every time a post starts off talking about Mako's I think I am in the wrong thread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I read this thread and the FFVII Let's play thread and every time a post starts off talking about Mako's I think I am in the wrong thread.

It's thrown me off a few times because I've watched Pacific Rim what could by some be considered too much.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
Any Goons in Japan that know of any adult leagues, or pickup games? I went to a rink somewhere in Tokyo. Noticed a local with goalie skates. He said his team plays there on Fridays at 1230 AM but couldn't tell if they were league pickup or what. Tried using my google translate app with the staff, but that really didn't help either.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I see somebody got gloves, somebody got a drying rack. How was everybody else's Christmas haul? I actually haven't gotten hockey equipment as a gift in a long time, probably 10 or 12 years or so, I've just bought everything on my own but this year I got some new pants and a gift card to Pure Hockey which will either be a new stick or new gloves.

The pants are my first venture into the girdle style pants with a shell over. I tried some on in the store like 2 months ago and they felt so much lighter and more comfortable than the pants I have I knew I had to have them. They're the Bauer Supreme Total One girdle with just a black Bauer shell. Anybody else have any comment on switching from traditional style pants to the girdle style or vice versa?

I'm surprised my Mom actually got them for me since they're close to $100 plus the shells are right around $30 or so, lucky Xmas for me, I was hoping for a gift card to supplement some of the cost but I'm not going to complain. My wife hooked up the gift card so I'm going to end up with a pretty sweet hockey Christmas. I haven't had any new equipment in a long, long time so I'm pretty excited for my next skate.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got cash for a drying rack.

Goons, spend the next 3 pages arguing over the one I should get.

The drying machine is out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bigbillystyle posted:

The pants are my first venture into the girdle style pants with a shell over. I tried some on in the store like 2 months ago and they felt so much lighter and more comfortable than the pants I have I knew I had to have them. They're the Bauer Supreme Total One girdle with just a black Bauer shell. Anybody else have any comment on switching from traditional style pants to the girdle style or vice versa?
Interested in this also; my pants are falling apart and I could use a new pair. My referee's girdle is comfy as hell, but I know it's not the same thing.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

PFlats posted:

Interested in this also; my pants are falling apart and I could use a new pair. My referee's girdle is comfy as hell, but I know it's not the same thing.

If you want a lighter weight and more mobile pant, I'd always recommend a girdle / shell combo. In fact, My 11k RBK's were pretty jenky after a few seasons so I just picked up a Mission Core girdle and Bauer Nexus shell today at Hockeygiant for 90$ total. Much lighter and more flexible than the 11k (and even my old 9k) setup. As long as you're not a D and blocking slapshots on a regular basis, there should be no problems with the level of protection you get. IMO the fit and mobility of a girdle / shell far outweighs a traditional breezer unless you play in D1 or some mens A league that allows slappers.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My fiancé and her parents contributed to subsidize a portion of my gift to myself: the Pittsburgh Weekend Warriors Hockey Camp.

She didn't want to just give me a card and a check, so she made this to give me.

Now if only I could persuade her to lace up herself.

I'll probably also get myself a new helmet for Christmas, as my current one is both expired and too big.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

zinc68 posted:

If you want a lighter weight and more mobile pant, I'd always recommend a girdle / shell combo. In fact, My 11k RBK's were pretty jenky after a few seasons so I just picked up a Mission Core girdle and Bauer Nexus shell today at Hockeygiant for 90$ total. Much lighter and more flexible than the 11k (and even my old 9k) setup. As long as you're not a D and blocking slapshots on a regular basis, there should be no problems with the level of protection you get. IMO the fit and mobility of a girdle / shell far outweighs a traditional breezer unless you play in D1 or some mens A league that allows slappers.

Trip report; poo poo was awesome. By far the best combo I've used so far.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I got a pair of Bauer compression jill pants. They are by far the nicest hockey undergarment I have ever seen.

Girdle chat: I used to play with a girdle + shell back before I discovered my beloved Takla women's pants. It's nice that it feels less like a giant diaper, and also the girdle can go into the washer. But I feel like once the lycra started to stretch out a little bit it couldn't be trusted to stay up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, I got vapor X:100 shins for Christmas. Good timing since my X:40s have been cracked for the past 18 months.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool, I got vapor X:100 shins for Christmas. Good timing since my X:40s have been cracked for the past 18 months.

That sounds like terrible timing.

Relevant content: so far, my main haul has been the sticks ($600 worth for $150 between Hockeymonkey's b1g1 and the local proshop's 50% clearance) and gloves I got myself (these after discovering a year and a half old Hockey giant gift certificate in my inbox that I'd totally forgotten about), but for New Year's (the big holiday for us Ruskis) I expect I'll get some Sharks Ice credit to help feed my addiction.

On that note, I think I'm sold on Warrior intermediate sticks.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Habibi posted:

That sounds like terrible timing.

Relevant content: so far, my main haul has been the sticks ($600 worth for $150 between Hockeymonkey's b1g1 and the local proshop's 50% clearance) and gloves I got myself (these after discovering a year and a half old Hockey giant gift certificate in my inbox that I'd totally forgotten about), but for New Year's (the big holiday for us Ruskis) I expect I'll get some Sharks Ice credit to help feed my addiction.

On that note, I think I'm sold on Warrior intermediate sticks.

Int. sticks for life.

This is me with a 70 flex Warrior Int. I wish it was taken a split second sooner, when I had it fully loaded, but you can still see the flex even as the shot goes off. Love whippy sticks. !

*As you can tell, I'm not exactly brand loyal. Warrior stick, Reebok bucket, Sherwood gloves, Bauer Skates, Reebok breezers w/ Bauer Shell

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 27, 2014

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got my new skates out on the ice for the first time today. I still can't hockey stop very well (not that I was expecting to be able to) but I can at least shave ice from a standing position now. We were doing edge work and on crossovers (which I also have a ton of trouble with) I was slipping and sliding quite a bit vs. my old skates which bit really hard. But at least now I know for sure the issues are me and not my skates.

I also picked up an intermediate stick and I really like it. By the time I cut down my senior stick to the right size I'm looking at about 120 flex, and I'm 145lbs.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

zinc68 posted:

Int. sticks for life.

This is me with a 70 flex Warrior Int. I wish it was taken a split second sooner, when I had it fully loaded, but you can still see the flex even as the shot goes off. Love whippy sticks. !

*As you can tell, I'm not exactly brand loyal. Warrior stick, Reebok bucket, Sherwood gloves, Bauer Skates, Reebok breezers w/ Bauer Shell
Stevie Visorman

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zinc68 posted:

Int. sticks for life.

Yeah, I realized a little while back that I was cutting my senior sticks down to basically stock intermediate length, and as a not so big guy (5'7, 160) the flex ended up being essentially steel. I like that Warrior intermediates go to 70 flex (unlike most that top out in the 60s) and some come extra long giving me a bit more ability to customize length and flex. I find it harder to get a good slapper off, but I've never had a good slapper and the exchange is that my wrist/snap shots and stickhandling (the lighter build gives me a better feel for the puck) have improved.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You could just go Easton senior 75 flex. It is exactly same length as warrior intermediate.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Drove up to Evergreen today. While I've taken my son skating there before, I've never actually played pond hockey, so this was a first.

On the first sheet, we only had one goalie and had to stop half way though to let the facilities guy scrape the ice. Later we switched to another sheet with pond goals because the goalie left. The ice was terrible and was even worse after two hours of hard skating. Massive inch-wide cracks sprawled over the ice. Two corners were full of water from either leaks or too much sun. You'd have to be out of your mind to prefer this to a nice, warm locker room, with a well surfaced sheet of indoor ice.

It was some of the most fun I've had in 14 years of playing hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds about right, minus the water. Never been warm enough for that to happen.

Needs some grills going on the lake though!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Split the steel on my Buaer Lightspeed 2's tonight playing 4 games in a row for the 2 holiday tourneys in town. Looking at the pro shop, they have steel and rockers for Lightspeed Pros, looking at them I have no loving cue how to get the steel out of the rockers. Now I'm in a mad scramble to see if something can be done to either A) get new steel easier, B) replace the rocker/steel/rivets before my 6:15 today Sunday, or C) Skate out in my equally chewed up goalie skates and just treat myself to a belated Christmas gift of new skates.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Split the steel on my Buaer Lightspeed 2's tonight playing 4 games in a row for the 2 holiday tourneys in town. Looking at the pro shop, they have steel and rockers for Lightspeed Pros, looking at them I have no loving cue how to get the steel out of the rockers. Now I'm in a mad scramble to see if something can be done to either A) get new steel easier, B) replace the rocker/steel/rivets before my 6:15 today Sunday, or C) Skate out in my equally chewed up goalie skates and just treat myself to a belated Christmas gift of new skates.
Should be a screw under the heel of the footbed. Much easier to replace the steel rather than the entire holder. Any pro shop should be able to help.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sellouts posted:

You could just go Easton senior 75 flex. It is exactly same length as warrior intermediate.

Probably more expensive, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Habibi posted:

50 dollars so I guess? I got my warrior widow int for 40 so yeah.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Habibi posted:

The only difference will be in the width of the shaft at that point (giggity).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

zinc68 posted:

The only difference will be in the width of the shaft at that point (giggity).

My hands can accommodate many girths.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm thinking about going to rookie shinny on Tuesday at one of the many local rinks here. I've never gone to shinny before, what's the deal? How are teams determined? Do I need to bring multiple jerseys? Do I just pay my money, get changed, and start skating around until someone tells me what to do?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wear a jersey that could work for either a light or dark team, and pick the appropriate bench.

Sometimes they'll toss sticks down at center ice and split them to make teams, maybe pack both a light and dark jersey to account for that.

Otherwise just skate and have fun.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wear a red or grey jersey so you can play for whatever team ends up being better. Losing shinny is for chumps.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you can afford to play hockey you can afford cheap black and white practice jerseys. Bring a white and black jersey to drop in sessions.

I still don't loving understand this poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah if you didn't play growing up before teams had wacky jerseys just get the cheapest white and black jerseys possible. because adult teams (when you join them) sure as hell aren't picking black or white when they can be be the belle of the ball in their brampton battalion poo poo baby poo poo green jerseys or flyers alternate orange 3rd jersey or calgary 3rd jersey or boston bruins original third jerseys or maine hockey away jerseys or peterboro petes home jerseys or i swear I'm not bitter about buying so many ugly jerseys

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My last team — for reasons passing understanding — picked camouflage jerseys. The logo on the front was a smiley face with a bullet hole on its forehead. :ughh:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Right now I only have a black jersey but I'm sure I can get a white one before Tuesday. Just bring both jerseys to the bench? I want to make sure no one realizes I'm an idiot until I step on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wear one offer to change to the other if the locker rooms are close by and they need you to.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Right now I only have a black jersey but I'm sure I can get a white one before Tuesday. Just bring both jerseys to the bench? I want to make sure no one realizes I'm an idiot until I step on the ice.

I would bring both jerseys to the bench unless the person who takes your money tells you otherwise. Don't worry about looking like an idiot, shinny/pickup sessions vary enough that anyone showing up for the first time is going to have some questions.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, thanks guys. Now to find out if "beginner" means what I think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Dangerllama posted:

My last team — for reasons passing understanding — picked camouflage jerseys. The logo on the front was a smiley face with a bullet hole on its forehead. :ughh:

Since I don't think you're in Northern California that means there are multiple teams with this cammo + logo design :pwn: