Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Byzantine posted:

That is literally what happened. Megaton is the oldest city, and at most it's only from the 2210s. Rivet City was founded in 2239, the BoS arrived in the Pentagon in 2255, and Canterbury Commons gathered in 2258. Tenpenny Tower is the youngest major settlement, barely 20 years old.

Which makes it all the more disconcerting that everyone seems to treat the Great War as "last week" rather than "poo poo my great-grandpa heard from his grandpa."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

Why do you think Chinese Spec Ops books and assault rifles are scattered across the Wasteland?
You'd think they'd do more than manufacture guns and print copies of how to crouch and pretend to not be seen

Like make their own mini-China while everyone else's too afraid to go out

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still waiting for us to get a pre-war game.

I don't really see the point; the most distinguishing factor would probably be large amounts of anti-Chinese rhetoric.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wolfsheim posted:

Ashur is the correct choice because he has a cool penthouse and all the slaver shops and named NPCs in the urban treetop city stick around. Also because they don't actually go through with the whole infanticide thing either way it would make sense to keep the baby in a clean sterile environment rather than a dirty decrepit shack.
Really Ashur is a much more well meaning Caesar what with the Raider cult of personality and the slaves and the goals to create a new better society

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

computer parts posted:

I don't really see the point; the most distinguishing factor would probably be large amounts of anti-Chinese rhetoric.

Because a major part of the Fallout setting is exactly what pre-war society is like, and it's rarely been explored in depth. It's already unique due to its mixing of 1950s-1970s aesthetic with sci-fi future stuff and extreme McCarthy-style politics, and provides a very ripe creative setting for a unique experience. It's a place where a guy decked out like a pulp detective can break down a door with a 10mm semi-auto drawn, exchange gunfire with perps armed with plasma and laser weapons, and then get in a nuclear car chase through 50s suburbia. Or guys in diesel punk power armor and hardshell combat armor go into battle with laser sniper rifles against Chinese soldiers shooting back with future AKs in the Gobi Desert, before calling in a Vertibird for mini nuke fire support.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout's actually never really had a big "scavenging survivor future" thing until Fallout 3, which was basically a canon fuckup.

This is strange to hear, because I actually quite liked that element of 3. It becomes pretty much meaningless as you play through the game, but it made the beginning interesting.

On the topic of karma and morality, I think the key 3 quest for demonstrating its shortcomings is the Tenpenny Tower quest. With good writing it might work, but the game insists over and over again that the moralities it offers are black and white polar opposites. This makes either ending to the quest just seem like a spiteful "twist". You get the "good" ending and the ghouls kill everyone, but don't worry, you still got the "good" ending! The game by default makes its "bad" ending a wretched act, despite the fact that the Tower's denizens aren't so much racist tyrants as they are the clueless upper-class twits from Shakespeare.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

chitoryu12 posted:

The pre-war game is real life! Enjoy it!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You'd think they'd do more than manufacture guns and print copies of how to crouch and pretend to not be seen

That would be pretty cool, kind of like the Shi in Fallout 2. Though I think even Bethesda would be able to write a better version of the Shi.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

For the next game I'd like Bethesda on world design and Obsidian doing everything else, especially the writing.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

It would make so much more sense in a lot of areas if it were set in like 2080. What a shame it's set in like, 2280.

Yeah, it's a bummer things got changed at the last minute. I think about mid-way through the development cycle Bethesda got cold feet that a Fallout prequel wouldn't be "Fallout" enough. However, there must have been too much content already finished to actually go back and redo everything. So instead they just shoe-horned a bunch crap from the previous games into it, and tied it together as best they could.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They're not the invasion force, they're the spy network/fifth column. That's what they do, distribute guns and literature then wait for the army to invade.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

It's called Doctor Strangelove.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently this is literally what happened. I can't recall the original source, but supposedly Fallout 3 was originally meant to be a prequel taking place immediately after the Great War. At some point it was changed to take place after the original games, which hosed up continuity.

Unless you can provide a source, I find this rather unlikely. They did not purchase the Fallout IP only to discard everything unique about the setting.

Fallout 3 is the game they intended to make.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
To be fair without New Vegas overshadowing Fallout 3 in every single way it'd probably be regarded a lot better.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zeron posted:

To be fair without New Vegas overshadowing Fallout 3 in every single way it'd probably be regarded a lot better.

I doubt it, since people have completely invented things to bitch about in 3.

*wasteland has radioactivity everywhere, entire plot based on getting clean water*
*every major settlement tells you they were established in the last ~60 years*

"GOD THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THIS poo poo GAME WORK IS TO JUST ASSUME (since this loving game doesn't explain anything) THEY JUST STARTED BUILDING RECENTLY CAUSE OF RADIATION"

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Just got to Big Town, and :wtc:

That is quite possibly some of the most cringe-inducing dialogue I've ever seen. Now, I like playing good characters, and normally I'd pick the "Sure, I'll do it, no reward needed" option. But the "Good" dialogue option here is something you'd expect to see from a show for toddlers, much less an M-rated post-apocalyptic video game. I've probably put at least a good two dozen mods into this playthrough, but I'd give up all of them just to get dialogue options that aren't unbearable at this point.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Old Boot posted:

As for Blood Ties, holy poo poo. Vampires? Really? To make matters worse, I don't know that they could have possibly made the front man for that stupid little "faction" sound any more like he got teleported in from Elder Scrolls games. What got me even more than Lucy's 'oh well huh okay' response, too, was that if you kill the ~family~ after freeing Ian, the entire town of Arefu turns hostile for no goddamn reason.

The wanna-be vampires were hilarious and were nowhere near as goofy or stupid as the post-apocalyptic Scientologists complete with tired Tom Cruise parody, lazy Mike Tyson ear-biting gags, intelligent talking deathclaws, extended Big Trouble In Little China homage, and Magic the Gathering and D&D jokes in the original Fallout games.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

The wanna-be vampires were hilarious and were nowhere near as goofy or stupid as the post-apocalyptic Scientologists complete with tired Tom Cruise parody, lazy Mike Tyson ear-biting gags, intelligent talking deathclaws, extended Big Trouble In Little China homage, and Magic the Gathering and D&D jokes in the original Fallout games.

Well, fallout 2 to be specific.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I still think its bullshit that in Fallout canon the talking Deathclaws were made extinct, that would have been fun for a non modded encounter in Fallout 3/New Vegas :argh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

They're not the invasion force, they're the spy network/fifth column. That's what they do, distribute guns and literature then wait for the army to invade.
With no communication from mainland China for over 100 years.

Do you really undersell the intelligence of entities constantly? I could give people not getting out of vaults some slack but the concept of insurgent soldiers eventually working independently without going feral could have been given some thought. But they didn't all turn feral, so...they were essentially jerking off for hundreds of years over pretending that Great China still existed instead of actually making their own little slice of China and established some dominion over those emerging from vaults, which would be a saner and more plausible thing to do. Fighting Chinese Remnant soldiers who basically enslaved former vault dwellers would have been pretty drat interesting.

Michael Kirkbride would have done that sort of thing five times over with Fallout 3. Too bad he expended all of his OCD on Morrowind and then quit video games forever. :(

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 2, 2015

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In terms of atmosphere, gameplay and design, Fallout 3 is really good.

It's the writing that lets it down. I've done a few New Vegas playthroughs, and I've managed to find new stuff each time - I couldn't imagine playing Fallout 3 the entire way multiple times, except to mess around in the open world. The ruins are great, but there's ntohing interesting in them - there's no real likable NPCs (except Moria), where as New Vegas has loads of memorable, fleshed out minor characters.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like fallout 3 a lot and played the poo poo out of it when it came out

I like NV better though.

But, both are good.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

With no communication from mainland China for over 100 years.

Yeah, like those Japanese soldiers who continued fighting WW2 for decades.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

OldMemes posted:

In terms of atmosphere, gameplay and design, Fallout 3 is really good.

It's the writing that lets it down. I've done a few New Vegas playthroughs, and I've managed to find new stuff each time - I couldn't imagine playing Fallout 3 the entire way multiple times, except to mess around in the open world. The ruins are great, but there's ntohing interesting in them - there's no real likable NPCs (except Moria), where as New Vegas has loads of memorable, fleshed out minor characters.
I think New Vegas introduced a lot of good gameplay elements to it; like its hard going back to FO3 not being able to craft stuff, its not fun going around with a companion because you have to talk to them instead of using a companion wheel to order them around for basic stuff, and I hate the % system they got for stuff like Speech, science, etc; I much prefer NV's way of handling it.

The only ruin I found really interesting in FO3 was probably the There Will Come Soft Rains tribute house.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, like those Japanese soldiers who continued fighting WW2 for decades.
It's not like they eventually wised up to reality oh wait

They could have gone through their own lore with a finetooth comb, like they did with Skyrim's DLCs and Point Lookout. :negative:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think the actual gameplay in both fo3 and fonv is bad. i hope the next fallout game has decent shooting mechanics.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Roobanguy posted:

i think the actual gameplay in both fo3 and fonv is bad. i hope the next fallout game has decent shooting mechanics.
They'd have to move off their own logic engine and terrible keyframe-only animations and as of Skyrim, entirely hardcoded animation sets.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

Yeah, Fallout 4, made by Id Softwa-oh wait

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Roobanguy posted:

I'm kind of curious as to just what they could even do with it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That is quite possibly some of the most cringe-inducing dialogue I've ever seen. Now, I like playing good characters, and normally I'd pick the "Sure, I'll do it, no reward needed" option. But the "Good" dialogue option here is something you'd expect to see from a show for toddlers, much less an M-rated post-apocalyptic video game. I've probably put at least a good two dozen mods into this playthrough, but I'd give up all of them just to get dialogue options that aren't unbearable at this point.

Well, they are supposed to be young adults who just left a settlement for children. Maybe the Lone Wanderer is assuming that this kind of tone would comfort them, but that's a long shot. In general, Fallout 3's main character has either flat or awkward dialogue.

The Courier has better dialogue for both good on bad playthroughs, in my opinion. Especially bad, those ones have gems like "This crater looks like it's been tag-teamed by giant fuckbots," when talking about Big MT and "Good, go back to your famil... oh wait, they're loving dead," when talking to Cass.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Byzantine posted:

*wasteland has radioactivity everywhere, entire plot based on getting clean water*

"GOD THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THIS poo poo GAME WORK IS TO JUST ASSUME (since this loving game doesn't explain anything) THEY JUST STARTED BUILDING RECENTLY CAUSE OF RADIATION"

Fallout has always run on SCIENCE!!!!! as opposed to science. Which made it a lot more fun.

But the whole "radiation-free water" plot is dumb even if you ignore how it's scientifically stupid.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's not like they eventually wised up to reality oh wait

At least one group didn't, and the last survivor had to be ordered to stand down by his former commanding officer.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Sleeveless posted:

:lol: I will never defend FO2's shittier moments, their overblown attempts at humor among them, and I sincerely doubt anyone would actually go out of their way to defend the depiction of the Shi. That was flat-out cringe-worthy. FO2 is still the weaker of the first two games, so far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure there's people who'd argue that it's superior to the first game for a variety of reasons. Some of it is rose-tinted nostalgia, the rest is just... well.

One installment had its weakest moments in a very poor - and in the case of the Shi, racist - attempt to play for (non-existent) laughs, the other is honest-to-god earnest in its presentation. Unless this is another case of Poe's Law and no one bothered to tip their hand...

As for the rest of the arguments going on, wow, that spiraled out of control fast, didn't it?

EDIT: talking deathclaws being ridiculous or not, I'll shank a dude that disses on Goris. :colbert:

VV EDIT 2: And one can rightly assume that the nation's capital took a serious pounding during the Great War - worse than the rest of the US - even as just as symbolic first strike, enough to make re-population/the rebirth of civilization, as compared to the West, a hell of a lot more difficult. Still, that was just assumptions and conjecture. It could've easily been addressed via the BoS chapter that showed up in recent years.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 2, 2015

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Byzantine posted:

Remember, Fallout 1, 2 and NV were on the West Coast (roughly), Fallout 3 on the east. Wind blows west to east. For the past 200 years, the eastern seaboard has been bathed in radioactive breezes from the nation's heartland; only in the past 30-50 have people been able to step out of their Vault without being flash-fried.

quote:

Yeah, Fallout 4, made by Id Softwa-oh wait

Why not? Bethesda owns Id.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wait, getting back to the Chinese thing, how the hell does the Lone Wanderer read the spec op book?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Wait, getting back to the Chinese thing, how the hell does the Lone Wanderer read the spec op book?

SCIENCE!!!!

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The lone wanderer is just a very simple kind of person..

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mantis42 posted:

Very carefully!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe he took Chinese in Vault 101.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
You know, I enjoyed Fallout 3. I don't know that I'll play it again (I don't know if I even can because my copy is linked thru Games for Windows Live and my email address for authentication got compromised). But as a huge fan of the first two games Bethesda did manage to capture the tone of FO1 and FO2. Unfortunately the random wackiness and poor writing is harder to swallow in a giganto-budget release than coming from a small team like in FO1&2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Keith Atherton posted:

But as a huge fan of the first two games Bethesda did manage to capture the tone of FO1 and FO2.

What an odd thing to say.