Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Also slight spoiler warning on that link, the header image is of the current Doctor and his companion.

Changed the link to one that doesn't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

It's imteresting how none of those costumes apart from the final one at all represent the old man in a young mans body Doctor that Smith played.

Also slight spoiler warning on that link, the header image is of the current Doctor and his companion.

Toxx already watched part of Last Christmas, so that alone isn't a spoiler.

Also, wasn't the tweed jacket Matt Smith's dads?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

And it's impossible to deny that, whatever you think of him as a writer, he hasn't been all that great as a showrunner - he infamously made a few very poor delegation decisions that created a ton of drama and wrecked the show's budget and schedule for two or three years, and the worst thing you can do to a Who fan is deny them their fix. Moffat's multitude of other projects besides Who means that his attention as showrunner was probably divided in a really bad way, and the effects are felt as his tenure goes on.

Moffat has his share of detractors, oh lord, yes, but I don't have a lot of respect or patience for his loudest ones. Many of them are either wishing for a stylistic return to the pre-revival days (hahahaha) or the Davies era (HAHAHAHAHA), and a lot of the associated complaints are the product of the usual Internet echo-chamber effect where negativity becomes a competition. Some of the vitriol thrown at this guy has been unreal; I've seen people curse him out for things that they thought that he thought he was thinking. His interview comments are less than attractive, no doubt, and he definitely has an issue with writing women, but luckily the worst of that flaw doesn't really emerge on Doctor Who (there were some parts of Jekyll that tasted funny even to me); it's usually unobtrusive enough to fade into the general, vaguely sexist background noise Who's had since its inception. Occ may start to feel differently than me, who knows, but I don't hold the social-issues torch as highly as he does.

And for all his faults, it can't be denied that Moffat still loves the show - he once said that his first request to be showrunner was denied on the grounds that he was seven years old at the time. If you like his style of storytelling, and I do, and if you prefer consistency to risk-taking, and I do, then he lends a distinct and enjoyable flavor to the show while it's under his pen. I have no idea who's going to replace him when he finally moves on (and neither do his detractors, honestly, which probably says something), but I'm going to miss the sour little Scottish rear end in a top hat when he's gone.

I actually agree with most of this (I suppose I am a detractor, even though more than half of my posts about Moffat-penned episodes tend to be positive), although I think his problems writing women are a a little more apparent than you are saying, and I do mean a little. It's similar to the background sexism that exists in most of popular media, for sure, but because Moffat leans on his writing strengths and writes for the show so frequently, it gets more and more obvious as the show goes. Minus the kiss-o-gram thing, I do really like the way that Amy is written in the Eleventh Hour.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

...so I ended up watching The Eleventh Hour again yesterday

I...I don't know about this, how obsessed I'm getting about the new doctor and showrunner and general style, how much I adore this episode

This isn't good

not good at all

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

I...I don't know about this, how obsessed I'm getting about the new doctor and showrunner and general style, how much I adore this episode

This isn't good

not good at all

You are definitely a Mad Man With a Toxx.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

This isn't good

not good at all

I am very glad that you had the right opinion about The Eleventh Hour, one of the greatest episodes of the show which immediately showcases some of Matt Smith's finer acting talents, such as being an actual cartoon person and somehow playing a young man as assembled by a committee of old men.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

This isn't good

not good at all

Welcome to all the reasons we love this series Toxx.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the only bad things about reading someone experiencing the beginnings of Matt Smith Doctor Who is that I get the Eleventh Doctor Murray Gold theme stuck in my head. It is not a bad song (it's catchy!), but having it stuck in your head all day imbues your grocery shopping with a kind of desperate, bombastic importance that makes choosing a brand of peanut butter a little too dramatic for my tastes.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Toxxupation posted:

This isn't good

not good at all

On the one hand, dawww. On the other, I worry you're getting way too hyped and are destined for disappointment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

On the one hand, dawww. On the other, I worry you're getting way too hyped and are destined for disappointment.

I'm deflating his expectations whenever possible, no worries, no worries.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mmm, The Eleventh Hour was obviously an episode that was written with the time and effort that go into entire serieses.

loving good result though.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

It is not a bad song (it's catchy!), but having it stuck in your head all day imbues your grocery shopping with a kind of desperate, bombastic importance that makes choosing a brand of peanut butter a little too dramatic for my tastes.

DUN DUN DUN Taco seasoning DUN DUN DUNDUN tortillas

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What's that theme they use at the end of the episode when it pans over all of Amy's drawings of the doctor

I really really like that theme

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Toxxupation posted:

What's that theme they use at the end of the episode when it pans over all of Amy's drawings of the doctor

I really really like that theme

I THINK that's Amy's Theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcec_u9AbGE

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, it's Amy's Theme earlier on in that scene and then it transitions to the Eleventh Doctor's Adventure Theme for the last pan bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7VmOZ4Ppj8

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Just want to confirm a couple of things.

First, I have a penis.

Second, I am indeed going for worst score. This is based mostly off memory with Netflix's paragrpah teasers to jog my memory so who knows how that'll go.

E: that sounded too flippant, I mean use the standard masculine pronouns it's all good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ewe2 posted:

DUN DUN DUN Taco seasoning DUN DUN DUNDUN tortillas

It makes it hard not to sign all of one's work e-mails with "Basically, run" after the job title in the signature.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

This isn't good

not good at all

Oh no, he's caught in a fanboy spiral! Pull out! Pull out!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Toxxupation posted:

This isn't good

not good at all

Yeah, that was how I reacted to The Eleventh Hour back when it first aired.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
The Eleventh Doctor's theme is so very good. It makes me feel like a badass just listening to it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am glad that correct opinions on the 11th hour are being expressed ITT. Definitely my favourite Moffat episode out of the episodes this thread has covered so far.

Solvency posted:

The Eleventh Doctor's theme is so very good. It makes me feel like a badass just listening to it.

It's good, but it really sounds a hell of a lot like the Mass Effect 2 theme.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

marktheando posted:

It's good, but it really sounds a hell of a lot like the Mass Effect 2 theme.

Wow, it really does. Holy poo poo, I never noticed this before. Granted they both were likely recorded around the same time, still pretty crazy how similar they are.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I just remember that moment in the Doctor Who thread at the time where we basically got a whole page of everyone saying "Matt Smith is The Doctor".

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

I just remember that moment in the Doctor Who thread at the time where we basically got a whole page of everyone saying "Matt Smith is The Doctor".

Don't we get that every Doctor, though? Perhaps not this quickly, but nonetheless each gets their wings as it were in rather short order.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sighence posted:

Don't we get that every Doctor, though? Perhaps not this quickly, but nonetheless each gets their wings as it were in rather short order.
True, it just stood out a bit more with this one. Possibly because I didn't see SA's reaction to any of the ones before Smith?

Saying that, looking back in the archives I can't find it now. Maybe I'm imagining things :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey there was a guy who said he's watching the show along with the thread, right? What did you think of eleventh hour, fellow new guy?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DoctorWhat posted:

You are definitely a Mad Man With a Toxx.

I see what you did there.

Future thread title.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

M_Gargantua posted:

I see what you did there.

Future thread title.

It was actually the thread title after they watched it, but they quickly changed it to what it is now, which I don't like nearly as much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How did I miss that. I was there for the eleventh hour.

And I just noticed more to that in the current who thread. I'm going to have to start cross referencing...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

It was actually the thread title after they watched it, but they quickly changed it to what it is now, which I don't like nearly as much.

It wasn't even accurate. I've got the toxx, not him, and I'm very rarely mad according to nine out of ten psychiatrists.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oxxidation posted:

It wasn't even accurate. I've got the toxx, not him, and I'm very rarely mad according to nine out of ten psychiatrists.

Eleven doctors now. One is on the fence.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sorry, Oxx, but the Mad Man with a Toxx thread title was infinitely better than this weaksauce one, and in the imaginary poll I just took, 10 out of 10 posters agreed with me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am one of the imaginary posters and I can confirm this statement.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it's Amy's Theme earlier on in that scene and then it transitions to the Eleventh Doctor's Adventure Theme for the last pan bit.

that piccolo(?) riff that comes in at :35 is so good, it sums up that sort of pure wonderment essence that DW at its best embodies

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am one of the imaginary posters and I can confirm this statement.

Listening to imaginary people is what got me seeing all those doctors in the first place.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Confirming previous thread title much better than current one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

Well thanks a lot buddy, now that theme's going to be in my head all day long, great.

Oh did that sound mad? Well it shouldn't because I'm really happy about this! :)

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxxupation posted:

Hey there was a guy who said he's watching the show along with the thread, right? What did you think of eleventh hour, fellow new guy?

That would be me.

I've got a lot of friends who are at various levels of appreciation from the show, and I learned a fair few amount of details about the show from cultural osmosis and whatnot. I've also seen a fair amount of Classic Who from way back in the day and general sci-fi nerd-dom though honestly I never really held it all that highly in the terms of science fiction as such.

That's why, I think, the Eleventh Hour resonated pretty deeply with me when I watched it last night, because it discards I think by embracing a different tone to the narrative (someone in the thread said it better that it embraces a sense of fantasy, while someone else pointed out how he is more or less a wizard) and tha;s where a show like Dr. Who could really excel. It's such a great modern fairy tale narrative. I've got no special grip on Moffat as a writer or director much yet, and certainly not as a showrunner, but Matt Smith impressed me immediately in a way that Tennant or Eccleston did not, and I say that being a big Eccleston fan outside of his work on Dr. Who. It's a strange level where it's not taking itself deadly seriously, per se, but it's not embracing camp either.

So yeah this episode has made me into a fan, and as commented elsewhere, I wish this was where I started.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Some how I found myself watching The Eleventh Hour again. The preview doesn't really spoil anything. It's just non specific enough to look cool. Out of context they're just interesting facial expressions and action sequences.

And it was just as good the n-th time watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Some how I found myself watching The Eleventh Hour again. The preview doesn't really spoil anything. It's just non specific enough to look cool. Out of context they're just interesting facial expressions and action sequences.

And it was just as good the n-th time watching it.
The preview spoils plenty. Sure, most of the scenes are out of context but it still spoils returning characters/enemies.

• Locked thread