Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
GOG is probably the best, yeah. It's only :10bux: and GOG is good about making sure their stuff runs on modern hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mzbundifund posted:

GOG is probably the best, yeah. It's only :10bux: and GOG is good about making sure their stuff runs on modern hardware.

I have heard of some technical issues, though, but I can't remember well enough to warn you/help you. I have the GOG version, but I haven't played it in some years. There's a GOG-specific thread if you have any difficulties.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mzbundifund posted:

Cool thanks for the confirmation. I was trying to be patient to wait for Beamdog to hopefully do an IWD2 redux but I am impatient and do not remember any glaring bugs the first time around so gently caress it.

JustJeff88 posted:

I have heard of some technical issues, though, but I can't remember well enough to warn you/help you. I have the GOG version, but I haven't played it in some years. There's a GOG-specific thread if you have any difficulties.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Win7 so I am hoping I will not have any issues. I can afford :10bux: so if it is completely hosed I wont be that annoyed I dont think.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If it's any help, I can confirm that the GOG version of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 work swimmingly on my Windows 7. Not sure about Icewind though.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Both GOG IWDs work fine. I never finished IWD2 but I did not encounter any bugs.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I really wish I could get into IWD2 but it's so loving difficult unless you are resting ALL the time, at which point I find it really immersion-breaking. The xp scaling thing irks me too.

Seems like such a great game and I just can't do it.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gaggins posted:

Both GOG IWDs work fine. I never finished IWD2 but I did not encounter any bugs.

The IWD2 interface is a bit wonky with widescreen mod installed. Other than that, it's fine on Win 7 & 8.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FairGame posted:

I really wish I could get into IWD2 but it's so loving difficult unless you are resting ALL the time, at which point I find it really immersion-breaking. The xp scaling thing irks me too.

What kind of party are you playing?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Bort Bortles posted:

What kind of party are you playing?

It varies.

Usually some combination of a bard, priest of tempus, priest of helm, wizard, sorcerer, and high dex fighter with light armor and the ability to fight with two weapons.

It's not a party construction issue. I'm just too stingy with my spells.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The GoG version of IWD2 is mostly fixed by how they rehacked the rendering, but there's still some people who run into awful rendering bugs. Either case its highly recommended over the disc version and the direct x wizardry you need to run it without it ripping your eyeballs out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

FairGame posted:

This is a problem with 3rd edition D&D (and 2nd edition, really). If you design encounters around players needing to use their spells, then they need to rest between each one. If you don't, then players will just destroy the encounter if they do use them (and then die on the encounter they were supposed to use them on). There's too wide a gap between the combat potential of a party going all-out and a party being resource conservative.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Apart from the battle square and monastery trials I generally only needed to rest once a map in IWD2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
IWD2 doesn't work on Windows 8, full stop. If someone can contradict this I'd love to hear about it. Every other infinity engine game does however.

If you aren't running Windows 8 GOG is your best place to buy IWD2.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Works for me, but it's been ages so I don't remember if I've done anything special to get it to run.

Edit: after looking through my install folder, I imagine this had something to do with it.

Octo1 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'm on win8 and IWD2 runs fine, although I had to fiddle with the ini or properties or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm on win8 and IWD2 runs fine, although I had to fiddle with the ini or properties or something.

What parts did you fiddle with?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What parts did you fiddle with?

I don't remember but it must have been off the first few pages of google results. What happens when you try to start the game?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Try the compatibility modes. If that fails and if the DirectDraw patch doesn't work in Windows 8, you can achieve the same result using the Application Compatibility Toolkit, which in Windows 8 is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK).

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Octo1 posted:

Works for me, but it's been ages so I don't remember if I've done anything special to get it to run.

Edit: after looking through my install folder, I imagine this had something to do with it.

I have 8.1 and GOG version of IWD2 works like crap. After putting files from this same link, game works much better. There's constant UI flickering but it's at least playable. We really need EE version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I don't remember but it must have been off the first few pages of google results. What happens when you try to start the game?

I'm not using a windows 8 machine at the moment, but when I was (6 months ago maybe) all the googling I did mostly resulted in cackling laughter. Someone should at least post what worked for them on the GoG forums.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Try the compatibility modes. If that fails and if the DirectDraw patch doesn't work in Windows 8, you can achieve the same result using the Application Compatibility Toolkit, which in Windows 8 is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK).

Or you can just turn on 3D acceleration in the game settings. :v:

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Airfoil posted:

The IWD2 interface is a bit wonky with widescreen mod installed. Other than that, it's fine on Win 7 & 8.

This helps: http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

Smol posted:

Or you can just turn on 3D acceleration in the game settings. :v:

IWD2 does not have any 3D acceleration, unfortunately. Only IWD.

If there is an EE version, I'd expect it to be a while away. IWD2 is pretty different to the other games, with all it's quasi-3E and stuff (something that would be really awesome: EE version of IWD2, and then running BG1/2 and IWD under that ruleset).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

kujeger posted:

If there is an EE version, I'd expect it to be a while away. IWD2 is pretty different to the other games, with all it's quasi-3E and stuff (something that would be really awesome: EE version of IWD2, and then running BG1/2 and IWD under that ruleset).
You'd literally need to manually recreate every NPC and creature under the 3E ruleset though. A ton of work for very little return. Though I suppose modders could eventually produce such a version.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

kujeger posted:

WD2 does not have any 3D acceleration, unfortunately. Only IWD.

Oh it didn't? My bad, it's been a while since I played it. But anyhow, I had some getting BG2 work on Windows 8 and turning on 3D acceleration was the easiest way to fix that.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Factor_VIII posted:

You'd literally need to manually recreate every NPC and creature under the 3E ruleset though. A ton of work for very little return. Though I suppose modders could eventually produce such a version.

http://weidu.org/iwg2/

it was a ton of work, which is probably why it never got finished.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Smol posted:

Oh it didn't? My bad, it's been a while since I played it. But anyhow, I had some getting BG2 work on Windows 8 and turning on 3D acceleration was the easiest way to fix that.

Yeah, IWD2 is generally the least friendly of the IE games for modern computers, ironically -- since it is also the newest of them.

edit: IIRC, ropekid explained that the 3d acceleration was removed since it was troublesome to get to work with the computers of the time, and there wasn't enough time to fix it.

edit2: For the adventurous, I can mention that IWD2 works great with Wine under Linux!

kujeger fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Dyna Soar posted:

http://weidu.org/iwg2/

it was a ton of work, which is probably why it never got finished.
True. What I find interesting is that someone apparently recreated BG1 under NWN2, which indicates that modders are willing to put in a ton of work on this sort of project. Out of curiosity, has anyone played through that mod? How did it go?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kujeger posted:

Yeah, IWD2 is generally the least friendly of the IE games for modern computers, ironically -- since it is also the newest of them.

edit: IIRC, ropekid explained that the 3d acceleration was removed since it was troublesome to get to work with the computers of the time, and there wasn't enough time to fix it.

edit2: For the adventurous, I can mention that IWD2 works great with Wine under Linux!
I thought it had it working at release (and was all but required) but it started making GBS threads the bed with any card newer than what was contemporary so GoG disabled it and fixed the software rendering, with a directx wrapper, which otherwise struggled and threw out some really ugly spell effects.

I think I've sold my discs or I'd check.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 6, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

True. What I find interesting is that someone apparently recreated BG1 under NWN2, which indicates that modders are willing to put in a ton of work on this sort of project. Out of curiosity, has anyone played through that mod? How did it go?

I didn't get through the whole thing, but its buggy as hell and has some major balance issues at low levels. Other than that it was a really faithful recreation, but I personally would rather just play BG.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

From the screenshots it looks almost like playing through BG1 in Cutscene-Render mode :haw:

(NWN1-NWN2 have not aged well graphically at all :stare:)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

NWN was considered ugly when it came out.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nwn2 is really ugly

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I am mentally ill and as such I want to play Big World Project but I am having a hell of a time installing it.

I tried to follow the instructions buried in the current LP but the whole "virtual drive" thing is way over my head. I also never got that nice graphical UI he seemed to have. I tried to follow the instructions on the mod installer and managed to track down and install all the required mods, answered a ton of questions , and started the install. It was chugging along fine for a few hours and other then clicking stuff now and then, it seemed to be working. I walked away to go to dinner and when I came back the installer was not running and I had a BG trilogy shortcut on my desktop. I ran it and played to the FRI but it seemed like a normal game. I know the installer is supposed to take like 24 hours so I assume it hosed up somehow.

Does anyone know of a really really idiot proof install walkthrough?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

nwn2 is really ugly

Our game may look like poo poo but gently caress me if we're not going to BUMP-MAP THE poo poo outta that ground

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
NWN2 is truly a work of art. It's hard to imagine how they could produce such revolting 3D models.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
it's pretty much the last "modern" rpg I tried to play. it was so clunky, ugly and the plot was just, meh, and I gave up after like, 5 hours.

I really hope pillars of eternity or numenera will be good.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's the point of the Harper Hold quest in BG2, where you have to accompany Jaheira back to the Harper building, end up fighting Reivar or whatever his name is - and that's about it. Seems a crappy interruption in the middle of the game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

What's the point of the Harper Hold quest in BG2, where you have to accompany Jaheira back to the Harper building, end up fighting Reivar or whatever his name is - and that's about it. Seems a crappy interruption in the middle of the game.

It's a series of quests, won't make much sense just by themselves. Starts with the first two, Renfeld and Xzar & Montaron. Then if you have Jaheira in your party, which I'm assuming you do, you ge the rest. The outcome of them depend on your reputation, but you can finish the questline with any reputation I think. You're just gonna have to fight more if it's low, you just won't get the reward at the end (harper pin + a poo poo load of exp iirc.)

There's like, 7 or 8 quests with the Harpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ah OK, so it's not over. That makes more sense. It seemed such a strange 'go here and answer some questions and fight the end' aside.

Yes, I havenever played through BG2 with both Minsc and jaheira and I'm going to try keep them all the way through now.