Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You're gonna have to post pics if you want that to happen.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They found the tail section today.

MH17 was a total fluke. Yeah, there's been some noise that other carriers weren't flying that route because of the conflict, but they got shot out of the sky by a crazy rebel group with an RPG - that's just out of left field. MH370 is still a complete and total mystery, but it's clear from the extended flight path that was discovered by Inmarsat that something more than just straight up mechanical problems or pilot error happened there. They just found the tail section of QZ8510 and there's no real idea what the Hell happened there yet, just tons of speculation about weather and airworthiness directives and what not. Ideally this will mean the FDR and CVR are recovered and they can figure it out.

What didn't make the news as highly was the AirAsia runway excursion in the Philippines the next day and a return to the airport as well. They're really testing my "Safest time to fly is after a crash!" logic here, heh.

It will be interesting to see how much of this is down to the distributed nature of the carriers. Air Asia has no choice but to incorporate in each country due to local laws, which is why there's Thai Air Asia (FD), Air Asia Indonesia (QZ) and so on. I always assumed they were tightly controlled by the HQ in KL, but maybe the disease of historically horrible aviation safety in Indonesia and The Philippines can't be stopped.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It doesn't hurt that the plane went down in far shallower, better-mapped waters than 370 did. Finding the recorder becomes a matter of time more than luck.

And yeah, my understanding is that MH17's path wasn't really considered negligent at the time--nobody expected the guys crewing the SAM sites there to have such itchy trigger fingers. The equipment they used isn't some point-and-click insurgent gear, you need a whole team of trained people for it.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I was on an AirAsia X flight home to Perth two days ago when the captain came on the intercom and said something like "and the weather ... we expect ... is ... to be clear over the Java Sea ... and then the ... Indian Ocean ... maybe a few bumps ... and on all the way to Adelaide" and everyone looked at each other. Dude sounded sleepy as hell, rambling on and pausing every few words. For those not up to date on their Australian geography Adelaide is a city about 2,500 km from Perth.

I get that English is a second language for many pilots and they fly to different cities all the time but it wasn't confidence-inspiring. At least he tried I guess, it must get annoying having to spruik in flight duty free all the time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

It doesn't hurt that the plane went down in far shallower, better-mapped waters than 370 did. Finding the recorder becomes a matter of time more than luck.
Yeah, of course. The latest potential find is in like 93' of water for QZ8510. MH370 is thought to be in an area where depths are like 15,000', give or take.

This is a few months old from PBS Nova, but it's still fairly up to date since nothing new has come out about MH370. It's a good, quick primer on what they know, what they think they know and the various technologies used to track and recover (and planned upgrades):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnrJ_ExVts

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 7, 2015

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Negligent posted:

I was on an AirAsia X flight home to Perth two days ago when the captain came on the intercom and said something like "and the weather ... we expect ... is ... to be clear over the Java Sea ... and then the ... Indian Ocean ... maybe a few bumps ... and on all the way to Adelaide" and everyone looked at each other. Dude sounded sleepy as hell, rambling on and pausing every few words. For those not up to date on their Australian geography Adelaide is a city about 2,500 km from Perth.

I get that English is a second language for many pilots and they fly to different cities all the time but it wasn't confidence-inspiring. At least he tried I guess, it must get annoying having to spruik in flight duty free all the time.

The latest gossip around here is that Air Asia have a higher percentage of shabu using pilots.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My understanding has been that plane crews are overworked pretty much everywhere and often fly after being awake for way too drat long.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't think it's possible to generalize everywhere. Some of my pilot acquaintances discuss how seriously safety is taken in their jobs in Asia compared to America and Europe, where the focus is much more on arrival times and keeping costs as low as possible. That said, it's certainly a really major concern not just due to scheduling, but due to human beings being fallible and having biological clocks that might not match up with flight schedules.

Since you bring it up, one thing I've seen a lot of discussion of on the avaiation forums is the schedule of this particular crew, which required them to rise at something like 04:00 on a pretty stacked schedule.

Another interesting wrinkle I haven't seen verified is that QZ wasn't permitted to fly this route on the specific day they flew, only four other days a week, but that they flew it as a matter of course in the lax aviation environment of Indonesia (it's hard to overstate what a wild west ID has been historically for aviation - check the number of banned ID carriers in the EU, for example). That's probably not a contributing issue to any incident, but it would be a contributing issue to the insurance company not being liable for paying out claims for a flight that wasn't legally permitted to fly, which would leave QZ financially liable for everything except probably whatever legal insurance they have to cover litigation costs. I think Fernandes is acting in good faith, but he's probably also trying to stave off as many inevitable legal claims as possible in light of this concern.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ReindeerF posted:

MH17 was a total fluke. Yeah, there's been some noise that other carriers weren't flying that route because of the conflict, but they got shot out of the sky by a crazy rebel group with an RPG - that's just out of left field.
Somewhat pedantic note: MH17 was shot down by an advanced radar-guided anti-aircraft missile launcher vehicle, the Russian Buk missile system. This kind of system is only operated by state actors with a well-trained military, and could not be used by terrorists or untrained rebels. This is very different from shoulder-launched heatseeking weapons like the Stinger missile, which is cheap and can only be used to attack low-flying aircraft, or airliners during takeoff and landing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Alrighty, it was a fluke that was shot down by a considerably more advanced system - didn't know the particulars.

On the note of insurance payouts I mentioned earlier, after some grumbling AirAsia has offered even more compensation per dead passenger:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/airasia-flight-qz8501-airline-offer-133k-payout-each-victim-20150107

quote:

AirAsia will offer compensation of about US$100,000 (S$133,000) for each passenger of the ill-fated Flight QZ8501, in addition to the initial payment of US$24,000 that was offered earlier to family members, CNN has reported.
I'm not sure how things work in Indonesia, hopefully some of our Indonesian posters will chime in. Here in Thailand as well as in Cambodia and, I think, Laos, it's customary in any incident where there's loss of life or property or disfigurement and unavoidable fault on the part of a wealthier party for families/victims to come to a cash settlement with the wealthier party and for no legal action to follow. The foreigners aboard will be a separate issue, of course, but I'm assuming that's what's afoot here. Still, maybe things work differently down in the archipelago.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is just too loving :lol:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1420782999&typecate=06&section=

quote:

Govt Wants To Raise Fares of 'Low-Cost' Airlines

BANGKOK – Thailand’s military government is asking domestic “low-cost” airlines to raise their ticket prices to prevent stealing market share from inter-provincial bus companies.

Thailand's Minister of Transport, Air Chief Marshal Prajin Janthong, said the cheap fares for domestic flights offered by low-cost airlines are hampering the business of public bus companies in Thailand.

"We cannot set the fares of low-cost airlines, but we will seek cooperation from these airlines to refrain from setting fares that are too low, because they may affect other types of public transportation," said ACM Prajin, who also sits in the ruling military junta.

His comment came after Suchinda Cherdchai, the owner of several major bus companies, filed a complaint with the government claiming that her business has been affected by domestic airlines, some of which offer prices cheaper than bus tickets.

Suchinda, aka Lady Giew, is believed to have strong ties with Thai authorities. According to Isra News, Suchinda's companies have secured over 1.9 billion baht worth of contracts with at least eight state agencies in the past ten years.

After a meeting with operators of several bus companies last month, ACM Prajin told reporters that he was concerned to see a decrease in the number of passengers using buses to travel domestically.

"There are fewer passengers in routes to important provinces like Chiang Mai and Phuket, and some provinces in northeastern region," ACM Prajin said. "The major reason behind this is the cheap promotions offered by low-cost airlines."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That could make sense if the airlines are doing something sneaky like running loss-making low-cost flights to drive bus operators out of business so they can jack up fares in a future environment of less competition. But there's no indication from that article that that's what's happening.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Does it make any sense that plane tickets would be cheaper than bus fares if they weren't loss-makers? I don't know much at all about the economics of travel in the area so I am genuinely curious, as it seems like flying should always be way more expensive, if much faster and more pleasant.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alereon posted:

Does it make any sense that plane tickets would be cheaper than bus fares if they weren't loss-makers? I don't know much at all about the economics of travel in the area so I am genuinely curious, as it seems like flying should always be way more expensive, if much faster and more pleasant.

If there's a high rate of failure for buses (breakdowns, lovely roads, abduction by bandits, etc) then conceivably plane travel would be cheaper.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I can all but guarantee this isn't about AirAsia and NokAir running at a loss. They definitely run loss leaders, no doubt about that, but revenue management is a pretty proven field at this point and managing price at the capacities you need to make a profit is how a company like AirAsia does as well as it does. Fernandes is no fluke CEO, he cut his teeth in the LCC wars in Europe and knows what he's doing. This is about lazy people trying to take advantage of connections to keep their pockets lined, which is what keeps our little feudal never never land running, heh.

These transport company owners are lazy fuckers who underpay their employees, put nothing into improving their fleet or safety and spent decades pocketing the cash. Now that someone's showed up and modernized their field they're paying the price. There are some bus services that have worked to make the bus experience better and much of the country is served by trains (free in third class for citizens) and vans and sawngtaews at the dispersal points, so it's not like there will be no affordable travel if Somchai's bus company folds. The flip side of this story, of course, is that more and more of the country can afford to fly.

Google up bus accidents in Thailand and let the sympathy drain from your veins.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

I can all but guarantee this isn't about AirAsia and NokAir running at a loss. They definitely run loss leaders, no doubt about that, but revenue management is a pretty proven field at this point and managing price at the capacities you need to make a profit is how a company like AirAsia does as well as it does. Fernandes is no fluke CEO, he cut his teeth in the LCC wars in Europe and knows what he's doing. This is about lazy people trying to take advantage of connections to keep their pockets lined, which is what keeps our little feudal never never land running, heh.

These transport company owners are lazy fuckers who underpay their employees, put nothing into improving their fleet or safety and spent decades pocketing the cash. Now that someone's showed up and modernized their field they're paying the price. There are some bus services that have worked to make the bus experience better and much of the country is served by trains (free in third class for citizens) and vans and sawngtaews at the dispersal points, so it's not like there will be no affordable travel if Somchai's bus company folds. The flip side of this story, of course, is that more and more of the country can afford to fly.

I think that last bit is an important part of this. Without going and price-checking myself, I imagine that lower airfares plus higher income at least make it an option, if not necessarily cheaper than bus fare... but when you have the choice of a 45 minute flight versus a packed bus ride on dangerous roads in a shitheap trundling along at night, planes are just a better choice and the bus CEO doesn't like that more and more Thais actually have that choice now.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I'd say it's AirAsia and to a lesser extent Lion.

Nok is 39% owned by Thai airways with the rest held by Thai investors who understand not to rock the boat.

But conversely Thai AirAsia is already pivoting to the international market whereas Nok is expanding domestic routes.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

more detailed overview of the Thai airline market

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/thai-airways-bangkok-airways-nok-air--thai-airasia-incur-3q-losses-as-thailand-slowly-recovers-196670

tl;dr everyone except Bangkok Airways is losing money hand over fist as the market is saturated with LCCs and it will get worse before it gets better with new players entering combined with less overseas arrivals.

however for consumers it's great, more 0 baht promo fares

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Negligent posted:

more detailed overview of the Thai airline market

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/thai-airways-bangkok-airways-nok-air--thai-airasia-incur-3q-losses-as-thailand-slowly-recovers-196670

tl;dr everyone except Bangkok Airways is losing money hand over fist as the market is saturated with LCCs and it will get worse before it gets better with new players entering combined with less overseas arrivals.

however for consumers it's great, more 0 baht promo fares

If they're operating at a loss, it doesn't seem totally unreasonable for bus companies to ask for some price controls just from the perspective of antitrust regulation.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Is anyone able to explain the sequence of events that made Cambodia a Kingdom? I had been under the impression that Cambodia was firmly under the control of Vietnamese aligned communist forces, and was pretty surprised to find out the country became a Kingdom again in 1993. I understand this was part of a compromise to end the civil war with remnants of the Khmer Rouge and other exiled factions, but how bringing back the monarchy was supposed to be a part of this is beyond me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I may have this off, Chrono will correct me, but I believe that when UNTAC had the first elections and (there are two narratives here - one that FUNCINPEC [royal party] tried to roll Hun Sen and got rolled back and the other that CPP [Hun Sen's party] successfully rolled everyone) Hun Sen came out on top, he needed to legitimize his not-really-a-coalition government by bringing the still-beloved-by-many Sihanouk into the fold, and so he put a huge focus in PR terms on elevating the royal family the way Phibulsongkram, Sarit and later dictators eventually did (with the CIA's help!) in Thailand back in the day.

It's very much a Potemkin Village monarchy from my understanding especially with the current Prince, but still holds importance in the hearts of many rural people.

On an unrelated note, after reading about and seeing films of Norodom Sihanouk, he was a loving amazing populist and would easily have been the most successful reigning figure in Southeast Asia if he'd been in a different position. He could've taught certain other monarchs lessons and ran circles around them in terms of political talent.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
As far as the original question goes, the Vietnamese kicked out the KR and occupied from 79 until 89. They portrayed it as a "liberation", but there was still a good deal of fighting going on between occupiers and Khmer Rouge remnants, who pressured locals to fight alongside them. A lot of people continued to die. The Vietnamese were pressured to pull out, and along with international sanctions, this eventually persuaded them to abandon the effort to keep a presence in the country. Hun Sen was a willing lackey, since he was able to make out like a bandit as the new head of state, and so the Vietnamese and the UN Transitional Authority on Cambodia and other newly-turned ex-KR folks all backed him.

As Reindeer pointed out, Sihanouk was an immensely charismatic populist in the 50s and 60s, and I think he was looked upon as a touchstone to an era when Cambodia had thrown off the colonial shackles but before they descended into civil war, so people adored him as this kind of father figure. I've read that he wasn't eager to come back as King and actually wanted to run for president instead, but this was bad news for Hun Sen and for the Vietnamese who had helped him to power and worried about what a new nationalistic president would mean for an unstable SE Asia. So when they put up resistance to him coming in as a president, he settled for the constitutional monarchy position that he got (although he continued to wield more power through sheer adoration of the people than Hun Sen was comfortable with, I think).

As far as the fight with FUNCINPEC, most of what I've heard was that it wasn't a failed move by Ranariddh but just Hun Sen doin' Hun Sen kinda things. The head of my program here on SE Asia studies was actually in country at the time with some students and they had to book it to Pochentong to get the gently caress out of there when things got dicey. It's possible that it was a failed attempt to undercut Hun Sen but I tend to expect the worst from that guy and that sounds too much like the narrative Suharto and his lackeys put forward after they "defended" Sukarno from the communist takeover in Indonesia in 1965. But either way, having Sihanouk in place as King was definitely a boon for Hun Sen because it took him off of the political chessboard. The subsequent years showed the CPP strangling any autonomy of the Palace and by the time Sihanouk abdicated, his son took on a throne that was faded symbol and won't last past his reign (since he will not be having any legitimate heirs).

It's a shame, too. I actually got to meet Sihamoni, shake his hand and speak with him. Really nice, very well-educated guy, but he gives an overwhelming impression of... softness, I guess? He's not going to be the one to do any challenging of Hun Sen, that's for sure.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Uh-oh:

https://twitter.com/191Thailand/status/561897026363719680

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Transformer?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Kurtofan posted:

Transformer?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

I know the electrics are dodgy as gently caress here, and I've even been sitting on a street where a transformer exploded - but that damage looks far too extensive and widespread to be one.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It was a transformer and anyway no need for you worry because Optimus Prayuth is in charge.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Turns out everyone's right. Police confirmed two IEDs were stashed in a transformer.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any casualties?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
No. Which is lucky, since they were reportedly pipe bombs stuffed with nails.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
But why aren't the people following orders like good feudal peasants? I mean there's a happiness song and a returning happiness to the people TV show and concerts and everything.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Truly this is Obama's Thailand.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

MothraAttack posted:

No. Which is lucky, since they were reportedly pipe bombs stuffed with nails.
Also reportedly, a "red shirt" "accidentally" dropped his ID card on the scene. This is all a little bit too convenient.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gail Wynand posted:

Also reportedly, a "red shirt" "accidentally" dropped his ID card on the scene. This is all a little bit too convenient.

Welp , call off those elections! Obviously the Junta has more work to do, it would be irresponsible to just give up now. :paranoid:

Also is the happiness song those kids that interrupt the TV at 6pm every day? I'm struggling to think of something that would make Thais less happy than interrupting their precious Lakorns.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gail Wynand posted:

If you watch Office Space, Prayuth is basically the dictator version of Tom Smykowski these days.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Prayuthayah (as a sarcastic name for present-day Thailand) wins for the best portmanteau of 2015 so far.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The other day the Bangkok post had consecutive headlines,

"protest banners not banned" and then

"Officials seize protest banners"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/469002/satirical-tu-banners-seized

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/468502/junta-uni-mockery-not-banned

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You have to admire the lockstep consistency of Thai propaganda, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So I read that two playwrights have been given two years' jail time for lèse-majesté. (https://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-thais-await-sentence-insulting-royals-play-213145030.html)

As an adult, I tsked and and grumbled about violations of freedom of expression.

Then I saw one playwright is named Porntip Mankong.

As an immature child, I giggled like an addled hen. :cripes:

• Locked thread