Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lork posted:

What I mean is that because an animation is something that changes constantly, all of the heavy lifting is probably done in an update loop, and when you tell the animator to play an animation, you're probably just changing the variables that let the update method know what's up.

For your disabled on the same frame example, if we assume that the actual state change happens in the update, there are a couple cases depending on the execution order (which I don't know). If your request comes after the update, then the state won't change until the next frame. There's also the possibility that the update would have come after your request, but never happened because the gameobject was disabled.

Now, if my model is accurate, you would expect the state to change as normal upon reactivating the gameobject, so if that's not happening then I don't know.

That's exactly the issue. Upon reactivating the object the state is still what it was prior to me trying to change it. If it changed after it was activated there wouldn't really be an issue but it's like the call I made never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Thanks for the responses everyone, it's good to know the direction has merit and now I can spice things up a bit in between all the systems design and coding.

Somfin posted:

Hell yes it plays. It's loving crazy, but it plays. I'd recommend keeping it subtle at first, then making the dodges harder and harder to believe. More and more desperate, less 'rephrasing' and more 'lying to your face' as the game goes on. If you want to go off the deep end on it, you could go for a 1984 thing where previous reports change to reflect the current dominance of your organisation- some are redacted, some are rephrased, some are lost, and some are brand new events out of nowhere that never happened, so as your organisation continues its history becomes completely inaccurate.

That's... kind of a perfect idea for what I'm doing. The situation is that you were a somewhat lower person in the former hierarchy and you're basically scrambling to keep things together/grab what power you can as the empire collapses around you. Research and technology works more like figuring out the specifics of or getting together the expertise to actually build/do things your society already essentially knows. It would work perfectly for you to become slowly aware of just how hosed up everything was/is as you figure out how to run things. And the way you respond to events and how much funding you pump into things like espionage could affect how messed up things get and what is hinted at or stated. This would also address the issues of frequency and subtlety level that have been brought up.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
So you're making an open source project simulator?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
(cross-posting from the game dev megathread) I write a news post for the game I'm working on every couple of weeks, covering what I'm doing and occasionally stuff about the game in general or how specific things work. This week I seemed to have more than a fair share of annoying bugs to find and fix so that's the focus of this week's post, and it could maybe be interesting to Unity devs in particular: http://www.scrapsgame.com/week-learn-bugs

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
APC Test for low poly pixel art.

http://youtu.be/nr8vKz1ORvg

Edit: http://youtu.be/-62zOKSYLmI

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 4, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I just published a game I've been working on for the past few days to itch.io: http://discozone.itch.io/monotron

It's a neat site, might replace the self-hosting I've been doing. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have a deployment API; you have to manually upload a zip file in their web interface. Slightly less convenient than the automated SFTP uploads I've been doing to my own site :(

I'm pretty happy I managed to get this game made in about 5 days, hoping I can keep up the pace this year. I am starting to get sick of just using geometric primitives in my games (though using a retro vector style makes it look much more on-purpose), so I might start poking around Open Game Art for some assets. I might even drop $10 on Pixen so I can develop some generic lo-res assets to use for prototyping, but I don't know how much time I want to spend learning the ways of pixel art (and, uh, art in general).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

TomR posted:

APC Test for low poly pixel art.

Return Fire remake looking good.

Also here's a screenshot somethingday.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've taken a short break from the icarus proudbottom stuff to do a quick side project. It's coming along really well - as of today, the alpha is finished and I'm hoping to test it out soon!

Basically, it's a random murder mystery party generator for mobile phones. Everybody chooses a randomly generated character. One person is randomly selected to be the killer. On your phone, you see details about your character, and where you were at all times during the night. It's ugly as hell at the moment, I just wanted to get the functionality in.

Over time, clues populate on the "Clues" page:

The gameplay is simple: you walk around and talk to other players about where they were, who they saw, etc. The killer is allowed to lie about everything (technically, everyone is allowed to lie, but there's no reason to lie unless you're the killer). There's always one hour where the killer was alone with the murder victim, so you're trying to find out who was conspicuously absent at some point during the night. If you can pinpoint in which room the murder took place, or at what time, that narrows down your search. Eventually, a clue might tell you that the victim was "stabbed or strangled," so anyone with a poisoning-type item in their pocket is in the clear.

The first player to find and accuse the killer is the winner. If you accuse falsely, you cannot win, although you can still participate. If nobody finds the killer before time runs out, the killer wins.

Anyways I think it will be a lot of fun! The concept is simple and - this is extremely shocking these days - I don't think something like this has been done before. My focus is on fun 20-minute games, whereas most murder mystery party things take all night, some people get stuck with boring characters, etc. I need different-sized groups to test it out, so I might reach out to goons for help once I have a build ready to distribute.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 4, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was late as gently caress for ScreenshotSaturday

http://shoehead.itch.io/head-shot

I stuck a new enemy in today, with a bunch of fixes and new powerup. Enemy spawns are random and I seem to either end up with an awesome go where I kill 300 guys or lovely onew where I kill like 12.
Check it out and let me know if the game is too hard now. Next update I think I'll work on victory conditions and levels and stuff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This is super cute. Makes me think 3D advance wars.

Shoehead posted:

I stuck a new enemy in today, with a bunch of fixes and new powerup. Enemy spawns are random and I seem to either end up with an awesome go where I kill 300 guys or lovely onew where I kill like 12.
Check it out and let me know if the game is too hard now. Next update I think I'll work on victory conditions and levels and stuff.
I think it starts out at a really nice point, difficulty-wise, where it's challenging but not super overwhelming. However, something weird happens if you stay alive long enough where over time, more and more of the green enemies spawn and less and less of everything else, until eventually there's almost no enemies spawning except them, and always from the bottom boundary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRUfcPY5Ao
And then you can survive really easily.

The only other criticisms I really have are
-You can get hit multiple times by one enemy projectile if you're moving back with it since they don't disappear on hit(can hit you like 4 times if you don't realize what's happening fast enough)
-grabbing another 10 skulls before your current powerup runs out gives you another one, and that's cool when you stack up multiple different powerups, but it's sorta lame when all it does is renew what you already have.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 5, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Polo-Rican posted:

The killer is allowed to lie about everything (technically, everyone is allowed to lie, but there's no reason to lie unless you're the killer).
As a detective, why would I ever tell the truth?

If I tell everyone what I know, that'll just help the others solve the murder before me. There's also no penalty for lying... If I act suspicious, what are they going to do? Accuse me and knock themselves out of the game?

Possible fix (altho I'm too tired to think it through all the consequences right now)...

1) Everyone votes secretly on their phone who they think killer is. Time of the vote is recorded.
2) Person with most votes gets the electric chair and loses the game
3) Killer wins if they escape justice
4) Of the living people, the person who voted for the real killer first wins the game (even if killer escapes)

This way if you don't help the investigation enough or get caught in a lie, you put yourself in risk.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Over the holidays I wrapped up the first public alpha release of Jarheads! It has five demo missions with a compressed difficulty ramp, and deathmatch, TDM and CTF multiplayer.

There's still so much left to do that even after 16 months, this is pretty much ground floor. Day jobs really get in the way, dammit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

GarethIW posted:

Over the holidays I wrapped up the first public alpha release of Jarheads! It has five demo missions with a compressed difficulty ramp, and deathmatch, TDM and CTF multiplayer.

There's still so much left to do that even after 16 months, this is pretty much ground floor. Day jobs really get in the way, dammit.

I just gave the single player a spin, and it's very much my poo poo. Definitely helps scratch that Cannon Fodder itch...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

DeepQantas posted:

As a detective, why would I ever tell the truth?

If I tell everyone what I know, that'll just help the others solve the murder before me. There's also no penalty for lying... If I act suspicious, what are they going to do? Accuse me and knock themselves out of the game?

Possible fix (altho I'm too tired to think it through all the consequences right now)...

1) Everyone votes secretly on their phone who they think killer is. Time of the vote is recorded.
4) Of the living people, the person who voted for the real killer first wins the game (even if killer escapes)

This way if you don't help the investigation enough or get caught in a lie, you put yourself in risk.

This is a really great solution that I might end up implementing - I especially love the potential of sending an innocent player to the chair. Your concerns are valid - if you share all information with everyone, there is a good chance that you'll hand another player the victory. I thought of addressing this by making the victory language more team-based rather than individual-based: if you accuse the killer correctly, "your team" wins as opposed to "you" winning, although you are still granted some sort of Most Valuable Player award, and of course, all of the friends you're playing with know that you're the one who put it all together.

Even though it has that flaw you mentioned, I think the current system might work in a way because there's an adversarial element between everyone, even between 2 players that are certain that each other are innocent, and that might lead to some very interesting and entertaining side effects like short-term partnerships, alliances, etc. Being a dick, lying for no reason and breaking the game, backstabbing, etc, sound bad on paper, but they can lead to a really fun and memorable experience when you're playing with friends.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

IronicDongz posted:

This is super cute. Makes me think 3D advance wars.
I think it starts out at a really nice point, difficulty-wise, where it's challenging but not super overwhelming. However, something weird happens if you stay alive long enough where over time, more and more of the green enemies spawn and less and less of everything else, until eventually there's almost no enemies spawning except them, and always from the bottom boundary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRUfcPY5Ao
And then you can survive really easily.

The only other criticisms I really have are
-You can get hit multiple times by one enemy projectile if you're moving back with it since they don't disappear on hit(can hit you like 4 times if you don't realize what's happening fast enough)
-grabbing another 10 skulls before your current powerup runs out gives you another one, and that's cool when you stack up multiple different powerups, but it's sorta lame when all it does is renew what you already have.

Oh awesome, thanks for checking it out! I think I know what's causing the zombies to spawn to much, but I'll have to take a good look at enemy projectiles

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DeepQantas posted:

Yeah, Mafia-style except on the phone. Polo-Rican, you might wanna check that game out for win condition ideas. I've always been more of a co-op victory condition kinda guy, "everyone wins if you get the killer, he wins if he gets away:" But it sounds like you want more of a competitive Words With Friends Except Murder kinda thing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Are there any decent ad-hoc libraries that are cross compatible between iOS/Android?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

GarethIW posted:

Where can I give you money? This is right up my street :)

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it

The Kins posted:

I just gave the single player a spin, and it's very much my poo poo. Definitely helps scratch that Cannon Fodder itch...

GazChap posted:

Where can I give you money? This is right up my street :)

:swoon:

I don't think I'll be running kickstarter/early access, just updating the alpha once a month with new stuff and maybe swapping in a new mission each time. Lots still to do - vehicles, more mission objectives etc. Aiming for summer.

Right now I'm busy ripping out the last of the NGUI stuff and replacing with new UI - along with spending time getting the word out.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone want to see how we built our scribble-in effect from a static spritesheet? Owen's written up a post explaining everything:
http://blog.gambrinous.com/2015/01/06/creating-the-scribble-effect-in-guild-of-dungeoneering/

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

retro sexual posted:

Anyone want to see how we built our scribble-in effect from a static spritesheet? Owen's written up a post explaining everything:
http://blog.gambrinous.com/2015/01/06/creating-the-scribble-effect-in-guild-of-dungeoneering/

Wow! Nice, slick, simple solution.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Did something major change with how Unity 4.6 handles game objects? I used to be able to use stuff like

code:
GameObject foo;
foo = Instantiate(thing) as GameObject;
to create things that were attached to a reference right when they were made to do a lot of things in 4.5 but since I switched to 4.6 to use the wonderful new GUI that just flat out doesn't work anymore.

edit: Nevermind, it works now for whatever reason. Ah, programming.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 6, 2015

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

retro sexual posted:

Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
So yesterday I learnt that Bethesda made a 3D open-world game with a 150km^2 (60 square miles) map that had a big chunk of LA, cars that you can steal and drive, shops you can buy or steal from, weapons etc... in 1990. 11 years before the first 3D GTA. Written entirely in Assembly. With the Terminator licence.

Look at this map!

The Terminator.

You know, usually it's in everyone's best interests to cut down your game idea to be as pure and realistic as possible. But occasionally, when the stars align just right, people ignore all that and somehow get the impossible done anyway (note: Does not guarantee your game will actually be a success).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Nition posted:

So yesterday I learnt that Bethesda made a 3D open-world game with a 150km^2 (60 square miles) map that had a big chunk of LA, cars that you can steal and drive, shops you can buy or steal from, weapons etc... in 1990. 11 years before the first 3D GTA. Written entirely in Assembly. With the Terminator licence.

Look at this map!

The Terminator.

You know, usually it's in everyone's best interests to cut down your game idea to be as pure and realistic as possible. But occasionally, when the stars align just right, people ignore all that and somehow get the impossible done anyway (note: Does not guarantee your game will actually be a success).

I bought that game a couple years after it came out, but it would just crash on my PC. I always wondered if it was any good.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I bought that game a couple years after it came out, but it would just crash on my PC. I always wondered if it was any good.

It sounds like they spent almost all their time on the huge world and not much on the gameplay. There's a nice in-depth review here: http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/the-terminator-ms-dos.html

Or you can play it yourself in your browser thanks to the Internet archive's DOS game collection! https://archive.org/stream/msdos_The_Terminator_1991/The_Terminator_1991.zip?module=dosbox&scale=2

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I found this pretty cool article about the pseudo 3D effects used in old 2d racing games, and I thought I'd share.

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/

quote:

Why Pseudo 3d?
Now that every system can produce graphics consisting of a zillion polygons on the fly, why would you want to do a road the old way? Aren't polygons the exact same thing, only better? Well, no. It's true that polygons lead to less distortion, but it is the warping in these old engines that give the surreal, exhillerating sense of speed found in many pre-polygon games. Think of the view as being controlled by a camera. As you take a curve in a game which uses one of these engines, it seems to look around the curve. Then, as the road straightens, the view straightens. As you go over a blind curve, the camera would seem to peer down over the ridge. And, since these games do not use a traditional track format with perfect spatial relationships, it is possible to effortlessly create tracks large enough that the player can go at ridiculous speeds-- without worrying about an object appearing on the track faster than the player can possibly react since the physical reality of the game can easily be tailored to the gameplay style.

But they have plenty of drawbacks as well. The depth of physics found in more simulation-like games tends to be lost, and so these engines aren't suited to every purpose. They are, however, easy to implement, run quickly, and are generally a lot of fun to play with!

It is worth noting that not every older racing game used these techniques. In fact, the method outlined here is only one possible way to do a pseudo 3d road. Some used projected and scaled sprites, others seem to involve varying degrees of real projection for the road. How you blend real mathematics with trickery is up to you. I hope you have as much fun exploring this special effect as I did.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Nition posted:

The Terminator.

Woah! I never knew about this game! I thought Terminator 2029 was the first PC Terminator game (from Bethesda too). 2029 used what seems to be a re-purposed fantasy RPG engine like the sort you'd find in Wizardry. So you move within a grid from a first-person perspective and can only turn along 90 degree increments. You had a targeting reticle that was mouse controlled. It looked quite good for its day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv28Te6oA1I

This older Terminator game though, wow that seems impressive for what they were attempting. The premise would be great today as well. 'Here's your open world, here's your target, track it down and defeat it by any means possible'.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Nition posted:

It sounds like they spent almost all their time on the huge world and not much on the gameplay. There's a nice in-depth review here: http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot.co.nz/2012/09/the-terminator-ms-dos.html

Holy balls the goddamn scope of this game is insane for the time period. I had no idea any of the games before Future Shock existed, this is amazing.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Major breakthroughs on the game I'm working on and we're just, like, what, a week into 2015?

We've since changed the project's name from "The Clicker In Darkness" to "Gibbous", as per a lotta folks assuming the clicker part was Last Of Us-ish, for which we're in debt to you guys, cause we're too busy workin' here to be playing kick-rear end AAA games :) And anyways, a shorter name is probably better from most points of view. But heaven knows that's subject to change, too. Naming games is one of those things that seems so freakin' easy until you have to actually do it. Maybe naming babies is the same. I wouldn't know. Naming cats is easier, that I know.

Throughout the game we wanna have lots of unique animations that play out when puzzles are solved (I know, what a revolutionary concept!). Here's Kitteh fetchin' something:

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
A cutey patooty cat, you say? I am intrigued.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Very much rooted in reality! They say always write about the things you know.

(She was still in pre-alpha here)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Holy christ that is one tiny kitten

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
So...anyone attending GDC? Are there usually any meetups, parties etc?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RhysD posted:

So...anyone attending GDC? Are there usually any meetups, parties etc?

I can't speak to whether there's any kind of official goonmeet, but I'll be there. On the audio pass though, which was pretty busy last year.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't speak to whether there's any kind of official goonmeet, but I'll be there. On the audio pass though, which was pretty busy last year.

Sounds good. Hopefully I'll be demoing my game at the Clickteam booth in the expo hall, so feel free to come say hi!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I was doing a play through of my game the other day and I started to notice a big lag between when you start the game, and when you can actually have multiple ships. I decided to create an array of weak little ships you can buy to fill out your fleet early on

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
It's hard to get excited about pixel art when there's a veritable flood of it lately, but Coldrice your stuff rocks! I'm a fan.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr Underhill posted:

It's hard to get excited about pixel art when there's a veritable flood of it lately, but Coldrice your stuff rocks! I'm a fan.

"It's hard to get excited about [...] art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

netcat posted:

"It's hard to get excited about [...] art"

Hey, I'd get tired of country music if it was basically all anyone was playing, and something like 60%* of indie games use low-res pixel art simply because it makes production cheaper/easier. So I can understand being weary of, especially, uninspired pixel art.

* Number backed by no research whatsoever